2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Steeda Sports vs. FRPP 'P' Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/11 | 05:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Steeda Sports vs. FRPP 'P' Springs

Any thoughts/opinions on both and how you guys like them. Ride quality, amount of drop, etc?

I was pretty set on the sports but just saw the Ps are on sale for $129, thought that was a pretty crazy deal. My car has RTRs and the "Mudstang" gap is awful....
Old 10/23/11 | 07:07 PM

I have had the Steeda Sports on 2 of my Mustangs and I absolutely love them. The car has a great stance after replacing the OEM springs and the ride quality is amazing. I don't know FRPP springs and there ride, but I can tell you, you get what you pay for. The Steeda springs are worth every penny. Good luck!
Old 10/23/11 | 07:26 PM
Cobra Member

Are you planning on changing the struts and shocks as well? If not the Ps are a mild drop and will be less harsh on your factory shocks. The Steeda Sports are about the best you can buy.
Old 10/23/11 | 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

any pics of your ride as is? thinking about RTRs myself.
Old 10/23/11 | 10:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have the Roush springs which I believe are the same drop as the Steeda's (1" front / 1.25" rear). With my RTR's on 275/35's the drop is ok.I wish I would've went with a lower drop or 275/40's because I still have some fender gap out back.
Old 10/24/11 | 04:42 AM
V6 Member

check out H&R super sport springs.. it was the choice I went with after having steeda's and it wasn't giving me the look I was after. H&R gave me the exact look I was looking for.. good luck with your decision!
Old 10/24/11 | 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

From what I gather the Springs on the market will drop our 2010+ cars more in the rear than 05-09 cars. (Has something to do with GT500 springs in the rear, I think!?)

FRPP P springs will keep the Stock rake look. drop is 1" front 1" rear
Steeda Sports will be totally level drop is 1" front 1.25" rear

I have the "P Springs" and LOVE them (on stock struts currently, will upgrade to Koni STR.t's later) My measurements are the same front and rear 29" ground to fender with stock 245/45-19 tires. BUT the "GAP" is also the same front and rear, looks great.

With the Steeda Sports your fender gap will be less in the rear that the front but the car will "Look" to sit level......however the measurements ground to fender will be less in the rear than front. (ON your 2012)

Pics of mine stock post #37: https://themustangsource.com/f726/5-...iveway-500323/
Springs post #40

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 10/24/11 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10/24/11 | 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
From what I gather the Springs on the market will drop our 2010+ cars more in the rear than 05-09 cars. (Has something to do with GT500 springs in the rear, I think!?)

FRPP P springs will keep the Stock rake look. drop is 1" front 1" rear
Steeda Sports will be totally level drop is 1" front 1.25" rear

I have the "P Springs" and LOVE them (on stock struts currently, will upgrade to Koni STR.t's later) My measurements are the same front and rear 29" ground to fender with stock 245/45-19 tires. BUT the "GAP" is also the same front and rear, looks great.

With the Steeda Sports your fender gap will be less in the rear that the front but the car will "Look" to sit level......however the measurements ground to fender will be less in the rear than front. (ON your 2012)

Pics of mine stock post #37: https://themustangsource.com/f726/5-...iveway-500323/
Springs post #40
For the "p" springs, why does the FRPP online catalog say you need the FRPP dampers and upgraded strut mounts for a 2011-2012 but not for an 09-10? did you put those on?
Old 10/24/11 | 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
For the "p" springs, why does the FRPP online catalog say you need the FRPP dampers and upgraded strut mounts for a 2011-2012 but not for an 09-10? did you put those on?
ANY Strut changes on 2011+ cars will need the GT500 strut mounts......but no, I did not change the Struts, just the $129 springs that I got from LMR & no mounts were needed. It is deff stiffer, but not a ton and on stock struts is surely livable for the next yr till I get some STR.t's! I installed them myself so the cost was very minimal to me for the springs alone.

From what I heard from Sam Strano....the FRPP Struts ride like Pogo Sticks. By far the most common setup on this forum is the Steeda/STR.t combo....which I like but prefer the Raked look so I went with the P-springs and will be getting the Koni's next yr.

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 10/24/11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10/24/11 | 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
ANY Strut changes on 2011+ cars will need the GT500 strut mounts......but no, I did not change the Struts, just the $129 springs that I got from LMR & no mounts were needed. It is deff stiffer, but not a ton and on stock struts is surely livable for the next yr till I get some STR.t's! I installed them myself so the cost was very minimal to me for the springs alone.

From what I heard from Sam Strano....the FRPP Struts ride like Pogo Sticks. By far the most common setup on this forum is the Steeda/STR.t combo....which I like but prefer the Raked look so I went with the P-springs and will be getting the Koni's next yr.
ahhh i understand now, because they recommend the struts they have to call out the mounts as well. I was confused why they were pushing the mounts with just the springs....

anyway i like the raked look as well, is the rear off center at all with the Ps? enough that you can tell without a ruler?
Old 10/24/11 | 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
ahhh i understand now, because they recommend the struts they have to call out the mounts as well. I was confused why they were pushing the mounts with just the springs....

anyway i like the raked look as well, is the rear off center at all with the Ps? enough that you can tell without a ruler?
My before and after measurements of the side to side was only different by 1/2"....but is now only off by 1/4" from one side to the other. SO I do not feel that an adj panhard bar is needed in my case....nor was caster camber plates.
Old 10/24/11 | 02:25 PM
3rd Times A Charm

New upper strut mounts are NOT recommended only for strut changes.

They are recommended for any time you disassemble the strut assembly.

These are one time use strut mounts.

If you disassemble the strut and reuse the factory strut mounts, you will get a popping sound when turning and going over bumps.

The amount of misinformation on this forum is getting scary!
Old 10/24/11 | 03:08 PM
Cobra R Member

I was set on the steedas but the price difference perked my ears lol. I think I'm gonna stick with the steedas and eventually get them. Hopefully they'll have a sale soon. I really like the 1.5" drops but ride-wise I dont wanna sacrafice too much.
Old 10/24/11 | 03:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm not too experienced with suspension work, it's the one thing i never got into much. So I'm thinking I should get the work done....or do some of you guys recommend giving it a shot??! Anyone know approximate labor cost to do shock/strut/spring install??
Old 10/24/11 | 04:30 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
I'm not too experienced with suspension work, it's the one thing i never got into much. So I'm thinking I should get the work done....or do some of you guys recommend giving it a shot??! Anyone know approximate labor cost to do shock/strut/spring install??
Do it yourself.

Plenty of write-ups to use online. It's really easy to do.

If you don't do it yourself, you'll forever pay someone else to do the work for you. Do it on your own, and watch your confidence grow immediately after you put the car back on the ground.
Old 10/24/11 | 04:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Any links on here to write ups?!? I just always think I need special tools and it would be a waste buying them just for one job.
Old 10/24/11 | 04:46 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Any links on here to write ups?!? I just always think I need special tools and it would be a waste buying them just for one job.
Rewind to 2004, I never had changed oil in a car. By now, I've installed 3 blowers, assembled a motor, built one bad 600+ rwhp 5.0, and I'm just getting started.

All because I decided to install my own exhaust instead of paying someone.

Go to Sears, and buy a 200 piece mechanics set. Buy a decent torque wrench, and you're set.

You can take the car apart and put it together with this.
Old 10/24/11 | 04:48 PM
3rd Times A Charm

This should get you started or at least interested in modding your own car.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Welcome to my How-To install thread!

The intent of my write-ups is not to replace the manufacturer's directions, but to give you a general overview in what you're about to get into.

I'm not a Master Mechanic, just a regular dude with tools at hand. So, if I installed the things below, so can you! There's no better way to get in touch with your car, I promise.

Note: If you believe it's a bit more than what you want to do, you may want to consider having a reputable shop install the mod for you.

PERFORMANCE
FRPP/Borla Stinger Exhaust Install
Pypes O/R H-Pipe Install
Exhaust Comparison: Stock - FRPP Stingers - Pypes O/R H-Pipe
SCT XCal2 BamaChips Tune Download Instructions
How To Upload A Tune File Into Your XCal2
Saleen Short Throw Shifter Block Install
Shaker install: Adapted To K&N CAI PT.2
Steeda Ultralite Lowering Springs Install - REAR
Steeda Ultralite Lowering Springs Install - FRONT
Front End Alignment / Camber info
RotorPros Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors Install
K&N AirCharger CAI Install
How To Change Your Oil: Mobil 1
FRPP X-Pipe Install & Comparison Video (By GPStang06)
BMR Swaybar Delete Kit Install (By 89Trooper)
MGW Short Throw Shifter Install
MGW Shifter - Progressive Springs Install (for beta group only)
CMCV Delete Plate install
Steeda Underdrive Pulley install
Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install
BMR LCA and Relocation Bracket Install (in LEO_06GT's car)
Shaftmasters 3.5" Driveshaft Install (by Leo_06GT)
Driveshaft Pinion Flange Install (in habu's car, 3.5" Shaftmasters DS)
Steeda Billet LCA install
Prothane Bullet Motor Mount install
Adjustable Panhard Bar and Lateral Stiffener Bar install (in LEO_06GT's car)
Traction Control Auto Off Mod (by Steved)
Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump install

NON-PERFORMANCE
Window Tint With Felt Install (See below for Moleskin installation)
Moleskin For Window Tint Install
WebElectric Sequential Taillight Install
Leaky Brake Reservior Cap Fix (The cheap way)
Silverhorse Racing Billet Fuel Door Install
AutoVation Racing Pedal Install
Midwest Painted Mirror Inserts
CDC Shaker Hood Install
Shaker Scoop Emblem Install
Shaker (Or Door Sill) Vinyl Letter kit Install
3rd Brakelight Overlay Install
BSM 12" Vinyl Racing Stripes (BSM's instructions were adequate, but here are some tips not mentioned.)
UPR Antenna Delete & Chrome Bolt Cap Covers
WebElectric One-Touch Rear Window Auto Switch Install (By 89Trooper - Convertibles Only!)
CDC Classic Chin Spoiler Install
Midwest Painted Strut Cover Install (2nd Gen Covers Installed)
Metra Amplified Windshield Antenna Install
Leather E-Brake Handle Install (in LEO_06GT's car)
BSM Rocker Panel Stripe install (by OKCMustangGT)
Ford Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Module Install (by OKCMustangGT)
Aeroform Sport Bar Install (By 89Trooper - Convertibles Only!)
Ford Racing 3-Valve Cam Cover install
Raptor shift light - PMP billet mount install
Speed of Sound (SOS) switch plate install
Alpine IVA-W205 & Lorex SG4933R rear camera install
Fading Rocker Stripe Install
MGW Oil Dipstick Handle Install
How To Remove Air Bag & Steering Wheel (by StangNut)
Agent 47 Retro Mirror Install (by JedCranium)
Wheel Spacer Install (by LEO_06GT)
Cabin Air Filter Install (in LEO_06GT's car)
Remote Trunk Switch Install
HID 'Plug and Play' Kit Install (by JedCranium)

OTHER HELPFUL REFERENCE LINKS
Guide to Properly Lowering your S197 (Very thourough explanation by Galaxie)
Adjustable Camber Bolt Install Video
Window Tint - Additional Moleskin/Velcro Felt Install
Shaker Install By Mustang Monthly
OBDII Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) (thanks to GrabberPony.com)
Old 10/24/11 | 05:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
This should get you started or at least interested in modding your own car.
Awesome info! Thanks!
Old 10/24/11 | 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
New upper strut mounts are NOT recommended only for strut changes.

They are recommended for any time you disassemble the strut assembly.

These are one time use strut mounts.

If you disassemble the strut and reuse the factory strut mounts, you will get a popping sound when turning and going over bumps.

The amount of misinformation on this forum is getting scary!
Not saying you are wrong.....BUT, I do not get any popping what so ever! Lucky I guess!?

Quick Reply: Steeda Sports vs. FRPP 'P' Springs