05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Window tint with felt installed with pics

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/06, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Finally got around to tinting my windows today. Took the GT to a shop that I've used for years, Classic Window Tinting located in Orange, CA. These guys are the pros in what they do. Shop owner was already aware of the need for felt on our Mustangs so that wasn't an issue.

Note: Only partial disassembly of the door panel was required to remove the wiper channel. Felt used was the 'felt' side of a velcro kit. Proper sanding/cleaning of the wiper channel is necessary to have 100% adhesion. Although some installers remove the whole door panel, this may not be necessary (as you see in the pics).

UPDATE, 11/05/06: There has been numerous complaints about the Velcro felt sliding down and exposing the adhesive glue (which streaks onto the tint). So, as a solution, I have been recommended to install Moleskin in its place. Directions can be read here.

UPDATE, 3/14/08: Classic Tint now installs Moleskin and no longer uses Velcro.

If you're local, I whole heartedly recommend this shop. Mine was their 6th or 7th 05/06 Mustang they've tinted and installed felt on.

Tint used: Solar Guard HP Titanium 33 (light-medium)

Fresh in the bay

Back window layout

Heat applied to form fit

Installing tint on back window

Removing door panel screws to access (window) wipe channel

Top of door panel is pulled back just far enough to access the channel

Channel being pulled up then slid out

Side view of removed channel and panel pulled back

Surface of channel (where it contacts the window) is prepped for felt

Felt being installed (felt material is the soft side of a velcro kit)

Felt installed complete

Wipe channel being reinstalled back into door

Front window tint being trimmed and fitted

Front window tint being installed

Tint being feathered into window glass

Tint install complete!

View out the back

Last edited by TacoBill; 3/14/08 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Update note added.
Old 4/13/06, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She looks sweet! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 01:49 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent write up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] However, I am moving this to the interior mods section since window tint is an interior mod, not an exterior mod [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Well, John doesn't that depend on the point of view?

Bill, nice write up, but let's get less ugly guys and more cute girls in the pictures, ok?
Old 4/13/06, 03:19 PM
GT Member

nice write up
Old 4/14/06, 12:43 AM

Sweet write up Bill.
Old 4/14/06, 06:58 AM
GT Member

Great pics on how to do the felt install!
Old 4/14/06, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

i will probbley do this my self was it easy to remove the wipe channel, and installing it back again? and, the 'felt' from velcro kit doesn't scratch up the tint at all?
Old 4/14/06, 07:50 AM

Thanks guys. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Just trying to take as many pics of the 'I read about it, but dunno what it looks like' stuff. If it helps just one member out, it was worth my effort.
Old 4/14/06, 08:02 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(199 @ April 14, 2006, 6:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i will probbley do this my self was it easy to remove the wipe channel, and installing it back again? and, the 'felt' from velcro kit doesn't scratch up the tint at all?
[/b][/quote]
199-
I was watching them closely when they removed the wipers.

There's 2 screws that must be removed from the back of the door panel and 1 screw on the forward side.

The installer then grasped the top of the door panel near the edge and door lock pin area (windows rolled down) and lifted slightly up and pulled back at the same time. This disconnected the top section of the door panel, just enough space to get a hold of the wiper channel.

The wiper channel seems to be on a track. The installer grabbed a hold of the back end and slowly lifted it out of it's channel (in the door) and slid it out from the rear.

re-installation was the the opposite.

Remember to scuff the window mating side of the wiper with sandpaper and wipe it down with alcohol before tacking down the felt strip for proper adhesion.

This velco felt is what's used by this tinting shop. I was told that there are a few other vehicles that require felt besides the new Mustangs and this is what they use.

Hope this helps.
Old 4/14/06, 09:54 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder how well the velcro adhesive would hold up under extreme heat. Same with any glue used on add-on felt or moleskin. I didn't get felt on my last car, and it scratched the windows up pretty good in just 6 months. Now that I'm getting a second chance at this with the '07, I want to make sure I get it right. And since I live in Las Vegas, summer heat is a definite problem. I just dont' want to come out to the car on a hot day and have the felt seperate from the wipe when I open the door. That could get really messy when I go through a drive-thru also.

Any one else here or in Phoenix (or anywhere else that gets really really hot) have a problem with the glue used on your felt, if you have it?
Old 4/14/06, 10:12 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayguy @ April 14, 2006, 8:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I wonder how well the velcro adhesive would hold up under extreme heat. Same with any glue used on add-on felt or moleskin. I didn't get felt on my last car, and it scratched the windows up pretty good in just 6 months. Now that I'm getting a second chance at this with the '07, I want to make sure I get it right. And since I live in Las Vegas, summer heat is a definite problem. I just dont' want to come out to the car on a hot day and have the felt seperate from the wipe when I open the door. That could get really messy when I go through a drive-thru also.

Any one else here or in Phoenix (or anywhere else that gets really really hot) have a problem with the glue used on your felt, if you have it?
[/b][/quote]
Jay, come summer, conduct a little experiment.

Go buy some quality velcro (with the strong 3M adhesive) and stick the felt side to a piece of plastic/hard rubber and leave it in your car during the day. After a few hours in the Vegas sun, or when you think it's hot enough, check the adhesion of that felt strip. See if the adhesive 'melted' right off or if it holds.
Old 4/14/06, 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

This is a great thread, My tint on my car is scratched to pieces. I went back to the tint shop and they told me since it was a brand new car I should try to see if the dealer would instal the felt. They have done all my cars and do a good job. This is the first kind of bad experience I've had with them. They did say they would retint to car for free, but that they didn't instal the felt. I'm thinking I'll just put the felt in myself and then get it retinted.

Soooo I basically just need to go buy some velcro from auto zone or somethin? lol This looks very easy it just makes me nervous rippin at the door of my new 06....
Old 4/14/06, 12:51 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WuTimeUT @ April 14, 2006, 11:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Soooo I basically just need to go buy some velcro from auto zone or somethin? lol This looks very easy it just makes me nervous rippin at the door of my new 06....
[/b][/quote]
Makes me nervous too, that's why I had someone else do it! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

I would go for a nice black industrial grade velcro (maybe by 3M?) or whatever brand from Home Depot or Lowe's. I believe it's the standard 1" wide ones.

I tell you, they had the screws out, panel popped open, and the wiper channel out in less than 5 minutes! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] So it can't be that difficult.
Old 4/14/06, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

well lol I'm about to do it RIGHT NOW! I'm on my way to Lowes...
Old 4/14/06, 01:22 PM
Cobra Member

sorry just one more question, when putting the felt on the rubber piece, does it cover the whole section or should it still leave some rubber contacting the window.... it seems that if the rubber is no longer touching the window, just felt, wont there be a lot of water getting into the doors? Thanks again,
Old 4/14/06, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WuTimeUT @ April 14, 2006, 10:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
well lol I'm about to do it RIGHT NOW! I'm on my way to Lowes...
[/b][/quote]

can you take pic specifically about how you remove the window wipper channel,, and give us some tips,, does and don'ts
Old 4/14/06, 01:44 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WuTimeUT @ April 14, 2006, 12:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
sorry just one more question, when putting the felt on the rubber piece, does it cover the whole section or should it still leave some rubber contacting the window.... it seems that if the rubber is no longer touching the window, just felt, wont there be a lot of water getting into the doors? Thanks again,
[/b][/quote]
Felt is against the window on the INSIDE, should not be affected by outside water.

All other cars have felt, so I don't believe that's an issue.

And yes, if you look at my pics carefully, it covers the entire width; wiper channel is probably 1" wide.
Old 4/14/06, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great write up! I think I'll give it a shot. Thank you for the tips.
Michael
Old 4/14/06, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

I just bought some felt and I already slid out the rubber.... Just remove the 3 screws and pop open the panel a little, the rubber slides right out.... Very easy.... Thanks for all the tips!

Quick Reply: Window tint with felt installed with pics