GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SCT XCal2 BamaChips tune upload w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/06, 07:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
SCT XCal2 BamaChips tune upload w/pics

Big kudos out to Doug for getting my XCal2 out to me quickly and efficiently!

I know a few of you out there wants to know where you plug it into, how to upload a tune file, and what's all involved. Wonder no more!

Upload time of factory tune: 2 minutes (approx)
Download time of new tune: 1 minute

Note: If after you install any SCT Tune, you need to take your car into the dealer, follow the instructions from Doug on retreiving your Strategy Code first. LINK

OUT OF BOX (USB CABLE INCLUDED, NOT PICTURED)

LOCATION OF OBD-II PORT (UNDER DASH, ABOVE CLUTCH)
NOTE: XCAL2 PLUG IS KEYED, ONLY FITS INTO PORT ONE WAY

KEY OFF
WHEN FIRST PLUGGED IN, HANDHELD UNIT WILL BEEP TO INITIALIZE.
THIS IS THE MAIN INTRO SCREEN YOU WILL SEE.

USE THE DOWN ARROW TO NEXT SCREEN (PROGRAM VEHICLE)

CHOOSE FILE YOU WISH TO UPLOAD (IN MY CASE, 91 TORQUE)

KEY TO ON POSITION (DO NOT START)

NEXT SCREEN, 'OPTION PARAMETERS'
I CHOSE 'NO' (CANCEL). I JUST WANTED TO UPLOAD WHAT DOUG PROGRAMMED.

READY TO PROGRAM
1ST STEP WILL BE TO DOWNLOAD THE FACTORY TUNE INTO THE HANDHELD.

UPLOAD OF FACTORY TUNE COMPLETE
VERIFICATION AND PREP FOR NEW TUNE DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD AUTOMATICALLY INITIATED

DOWNLOAD COMPLETE
AFTER PRESSING 'SELECT', UNIT WILL PROMPT YOU TO TURN KEY OFF.

LASTLY, SCREEN WILL RETURN TO MAIN MENU.

VIDEOS
91 Octane - revs

91 Octane - 1-2 gear pull

91 Torque - start-up / shutdown (notice the tach needle jumps on start-up.. never did that before)

** edit ** Resized one of the pics, looked way too big before!
Old 8/11/06, 08:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me be the first to reply... awesome as usual, Bill!

You are going to make me spend $400, aren't you????
Old 8/11/06, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Thanks, TacoB....been patiently waiting since Wednesday for my X-2 from Bama. Hope to have it next week, and will review your great post.
Old 8/12/06, 05:32 AM
Banned

Hey Bill,

VERY VERY nioce right up! I'd love to use either your post or your wording along with your pics to put this in detail on my website. Of course I would give you FULL credit for doing this on the site as well. Please let me know if this would be ok, I think this would help alot of people out who are on the fence because they are scared of how to use it.

Thanks!! Doug.
Old 8/12/06, 06:14 AM

Fanatastic write up Bill. I think Doug's request is high praise indeed. The one other thing that confused me when I did mine was the whole issue about removing the fuses before starting. If there's anyway to add a photo of the fuse box indicating which two fuses to pull, that would make it even more helpful in my opinion. Also, maybe include a note that while recommended, it doesn't seem to be necessary unless you have low battery power when starting the flash process. (From what I've read anyway.... I've done about 10 flashes so far and haven't had any problems with the fuses in place though the noise from the fuel pump kicking in at the end of the flash is a little startling the first time you hear it)
Old 8/12/06, 06:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by family_truckster
Fanatastic write up Bill. I think Doug's request is high praise indeed. The one other thing that confused me when I did mine was the whole issue about removing the fuses before starting. If there's anyway to add a photo of the fuse box indicating which two fuses to pull, that would make it even more helpful in my opinion. Also, maybe include a note that while recommended, it doesn't seem to be necessary unless you have low battery power when starting the flash process. (From what I've read anyway.... I've done about 10 flashes so far and haven't had any problems with the fuses in place though the noise from the fuel pump kicking in at the end of the flash is a little startling the first time you hear it)
I have an 07 GT/CS. I called Brenspeed about the fuse thing and was told you don't have to pull the fuses for the new Mustangs. I don't know how far back that goes but it's worked for me just fine.
Old 8/12/06, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

I was amazed how easy it was to install the tune. The programmer pretty much tells you what to do. But prior to actually having one, I was nervous about the whole thing and held out for some time because I wasn't quite sure how they worked.

I think this will help alot of people who wanted a tune but were a little nervous about how the thing functions.

I know alot of this stuff seems trivial to many but it doesn't mean it's not useful information. I think this will be very useful to alot of people who have never used a tuner before, to put their mind at ease that they will be competent enough to install a tune. Sure would have gotten me to buy one sooner than I did. Dougs tunes rock btw, still smiling.
Old 8/12/06, 09:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doug904
... Please let me know if this would be ok, I think this would help alot of people out who are on the fence because they are scared of how to use it.
Sure Doug!
I'd be honored at the opportunity to help you out.
Old 8/12/06, 09:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Thanks everyone for your +feedback on this thread.

And if anyone's interested in any other mod that are in my sig, just click on it for install photos.

As a side note, I'll be uploading the 91 Performance tune today just to see how it is.... and have a little fun at the same time!
Hey Bill, can't wait to see the video of the Performance tune.
Old 8/13/06, 08:08 AM
Cobra R Member

same here

Originally Posted by Merlot
making a sticky is a great idea. What about the old school guys (like me) that don't totally understand this new tech stuff, and are still waiting for the right stang to come along. It would be nice to research it later on when one needs it. Great idea Galaxie. Knockout write-up TacoBill.
I was old school and this site brought me up to date and showed me how to do stuff. I was WWAAAYYYYYY behind the power curve on the new technology. Reflashing and such. THIS was the only forum for me to GO TO to get the info on how to do stuff at home and not hire it done. Short of a few items (stripes and such) I have done it at home. This saved me big $$$$.

Sadly we lost a lot of tech knowledge with photos when we went to the new server. I cut and pasted a lot of the write ups and added the photo's.

I have saved the write ups for the LCA's, Upper 3rd link, adding water temp and oil press gauges.
Old 8/16/06, 10:27 AM
Cobra R Member

I agree...CAN you also included using live load step by step? How you get your tune from either bren or doug in a email and then install it in your tune file on your xcal2.

Good write up bill
Old 9/28/06, 04:24 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump

thread cleaned up. Eventually a sticky will be created summarizing any installs

any issues/suggestions, here is the best place to post http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=53010
Old 9/29/06, 05:25 PM
V6 Member

WTF man ... when i got my SCT from fred there was no cd ? WHYYY ? just the tuner along with the sct sticker
Old 9/30/06, 12:44 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no worries you can download all the programs from the SCT on the web
http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php
Old 10/1/06, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice write up. Is that where you normally shift? Try shifting in the 6200 rpm range and you should notice a huge difference.