05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Aeroform Sport Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/07, 08:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aeroform Sport Bar Install

Another happy Aeroform Sport Bar customer! Here is a little write-up for those wanting a before-hand look at what it takes to install.

The instructions were very thorough, but here are some additional pictures and info:

The first step is to pop off this side trim panel. Reach into the hole where the seat belt comes out and lift up. Several clips hold the panel in place, but it pops up easily.

This is what's underneath. The circle shape in the stabilizing foam is where I layed the bracket in place to get an idea of how much foam had to be cut away in an upcoming step.

These two bolts have to be removed next using a 10mm socket. DO NOT drop the bolts or the socket down into the openings or they could be lost forever. I checked the approximate torque of the bolts before removing them and it was 100 lb-in. Remove the window trim rail.

Next, about 2" of the stabalizing foam needs to be cut away to allow clearance for the mounting bracket. I used the blade shown and just did it by hand. I sliced off what you see in the second pic. Use caution not to damage the speaker or wiring below the bracket.

The Sport Bar mounting bracket goes in with the window trim rail using the same bolts. Follow the supplied instructions to see exactly how the mounting bracket and the window trim rail fit together. Start the bolts by hand and start the bolt toward the rear of the car first. After both bolts are started by hand, tighten them both and then torque to 100 lb-in. The instructions don't give a torque, but I like to make sure everything is even. 100 lb-in is a hair tighter than they were from the factory, but it isn't too tight to even come close to stripping the bolts.

This supplied template shows exactly where to mark the center of the hole that needs to be cut into the panel removed in step #1. I used an awl to make the mark. I then drilled the hole out with a small drill bit.

I noticed that this roll of electrical tape had the same inside diameter of the hole that needed to be cut into the panel: 1 1/4". I layed the roll of tape on the panel, putting the small hole in the center and marked the bigger hole with a Sharpie.

The instructions say to use a hole saw, but since I didn't have a 1 1/4" hole saw, I just used a dremel to enlarge the hole to the proper size. Here is the panel snapped back into place with the hole the perfect size for the bar to go through into the receiver. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself! The hole only needs to be the size of the inside diameter of the tube on the mounting bracket.

Now just repeat everything for the other side of the car.

Finally, you can lay the bar into place. I did it myself, but it may be easier with a helper. The suppled allen wrench fits through the seat belt opening to tighten the set screw that securely holds the Sport Bar into place. Push down on the bar slightly to get the best possible look at the area where it meets the trim panel. Don't push down too much or it could distort the edge of the foam facing outward. There's not much leverage, but you can use an adjustable wrench to turn the allen wrench and really get a good bite on the bar with the set screw.

The finished product! Looks awesome and it's very easy to install.

Old 3/3/07, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great! Any issues with the top going up? I assume not.

Can you come out and do my car?????? LOL j/k
Old 3/3/07, 05:02 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by awakeinAZ
Looks great! Any issues with the top going up? I assume not.

Can you come out and do my car?????? LOL j/k
No issues at all... and I would love to visit AZ!
Old 3/3/07, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks very nice. If I had a drop top that is what I would buy!
Old 3/3/07, 08:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another happy owner of Aeroform bar
Tom,how do you like grain matchup?
Attached Thumbnails Aeroform Sport Bar Install-cimg1256.jpg   Aeroform Sport Bar Install-cimg1259.jpg   Aeroform Sport Bar Install-cimg1260.jpg   Aeroform Sport Bar Install-cimg1258.jpg  
Old 3/4/07, 05:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Tom, looks good
Old 3/7/07, 05:54 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Tom, looks good
Thanks!
Old 3/7/07, 06:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rock on! My bar is gettin a lotta looks!!
Old 4/15/14, 09:24 PM
Banned

as much as I hate to necro an ancient thread I must.

I'm looking at add a sport/styling bar to my Mustang, and I absolutely hate that the most popular one nowadays (CDC) is straight up, with no rearward lean, and the SVE/MMD copies are also the same.

The Scott Drake seemed to have a little rearward lean, but apparently has since disappeared off the market, and people are peddling the copies of the CDC/MMD/SVE bar in place of it with the disclaimer that the product isn't an exact representation.

That leaves this bar. It's still readily available on the market. I do have one single concern. Since it leans back and seems to have a slightly lower curvature, does it still play nice with wind deflectors?

If it does, I'm ordering mine as soon as I can. If not, I'll have to give in and get a bar that I don't really like all that much do to angle.

Thanks folks.
Old 4/16/14, 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
as much as I hate to necro an ancient thread I must.

I'm looking at add a sport/styling bar to my Mustang, and I absolutely hate that the most popular one nowadays (CDC) is straight up, with no rearward lean, and the SVE/MMD copies are also the same.

The Scott Drake seemed to have a little rearward lean, but apparently has since disappeared off the market, and people are peddling the copies of the CDC/MMD/SVE bar in place of it with the disclaimer that the product isn't an exact representation.

That leaves this bar. It's still readily available on the market. I do have one single concern. Since it leans back and seems to have a slightly lower curvature, does it still play nice with wind deflectors?

If it does, I'm ordering mine as soon as I can. If not, I'll have to give in and get a bar that I don't really like all that much do to angle.

Thanks folks.

If I remember correctly I bought my sport bar from ABCexclusive. They have a sale going on now and it does taper. I'm very happy with mine and it did stiffen the body a little.

Later,
Alex
Old 4/17/14, 11:13 AM
Banned

does it work okay with a wind deflector?