2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/12, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
You won't need keypad keyless entry with the new keyless remote system like the new Focus has. All you do is have the key in your pocket or correct proximity of the car and grab the door handle, wait for it to unlock then pull it open. It's a wonderful thing!

I feel confident Ford will have the latest state of the art toys in the next Mustang.
But I want to be able to lock the keys in the car when I go to the beach or to a water park, etc...
Old 5/23/12, 10:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
But I want to be able to lock the keys in the car when I go to the beach or to a water park, etc...
Well with the keyless entry and start system you will never be able to lock your vehicle key in the car! It knows whether the key is inside the car or out... You might want to sew a Ziploc bag inside your speedos!

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/23/12 at 10:33 PM.
Old 5/24/12, 12:57 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well with the keyless entry and start system you will never be able to lock your vehicle key in the car! It knows whether the key is inside the car or out... You might want to sew a Ziploc bag inside your speedos!
Or how about hidden compartment built into the gas cap area or under the car like some truck have to place the fob? But locked by a code
Old 5/24/12, 07:02 AM
Cobra Member

Actually you can. My partner has a 2012 Explorer Limited and its very easy to lock the key in the car. We have done it many times before in the exact situations that I mentioned. You just leave the key in the car and then press the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons on the keypad on the driver's door and the car locks. And because the car knows the key is inside it won't unlock when you grab the handle like it does when the key is in your pocket.
Old 5/24/12, 08:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually you can. My partner has a 2012 Explorer Limited and its very easy to lock the key in the car. We have done it many times before in the exact situations that I mentioned. You just leave the key in the car and then press the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons on the keypad on the driver's door and the car locks. And because the car knows the key is inside it won't unlock when you grab the handle like it does when the key is in your pocket.
My reference is from our '12 Focus which does not have a keypad... So unless the vehicle has a keypad you cannot lock the key in the car.
Old 5/25/12, 02:43 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HUD..
Old 6/27/12, 08:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flagstang
HUD..
'13 Fusion offers it, so it's possible. Let's see if refreshed models for 2014 have it as an option.

I'm interested to see if they opt for an MR suspension. Also, it would be killer if they ditched the traditional sway bar for the dynamic system that the McLaren MP4-12C uses. It could be an industry first at the price point and combined with the MR suspension (see Lincoln Drive Control, tuned for the new platform) could offer a truly killer suspension setup on a more modern platform.
Old 6/29/12, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
'13 Fusion offers it, so it's possible. Let's see if refreshed models for 2014 have it as an option.

I'm interested to see if they opt for an MR suspension. Also, it would be killer if they ditched the traditional sway bar for the dynamic system that the McLaren MP4-12C uses. It could be an industry first at the price point and combined with the MR suspension (see Lincoln Drive Control, tuned for the new platform) could offer a truly killer suspension setup on a more modern platform.
Unless I've missed something, the HUD on the Fusion just flashes a line of red lights when the collision warning system senses you are closing on the vehicle in front of you too quickly. This is included with the Adaptive Cruise and is on the Explorer, Taurus, and Edge already.
I'm assuming Flagstang was looking for a bit more information.
I'd love to see speed, RPM, radio and nav info displayed on the HUD.
Old 6/29/12, 10:37 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
HUD..
Can't agree more add the HUD!!
Old 6/29/12, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Here's a simple one - I want some decent floormats and carpeting that's actually the appropriate length. Ford cheaped out on those things big time. The driver floormat only stays in place because of the dual snaps, and the passenger one doesn't fit quite right and moves all over since there's no grips on the bottom of it at all. And you can see the end of the carpet at the firewall easily in the footwell of both the driver and passenger sides.
Old 7/8/12, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to see these incorporated in the next generation Mustang..

A heads up display for the speedometer and tachometer
A larger fuel tank (20 gallons would be nice)
Paddle shifters
A tiptronic type automatic for those who prefer an automatic transmission
Keyless entry
Runflat tires
Old 7/8/12, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaGonz
I would like to see these incorporated in the next generation Mustang..

A heads up display for the speedometer and tachometer
A larger fuel tank (20 gallons would be nice)
Paddle shifters
A tiptronic type automatic for those who prefer an automatic transmission
Keyless entry
Runflat tires
You can have that now. Just replace your tires with runflats.
Old 7/9/12, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
You can have that now. Just replace your tires with runflats.
I only have 19.4K on the car in 6 years ( it gets ensconces in the "paddock" during the winter), the tires are rotated every oil change ( Mobil 1 synthetic) and I keep them properly inflated.. there is plenty of tread left. When I replace the tires, they will be z rated runflats.

Last edited by DaGonz; 7/9/12 at 04:36 PM.
Old 7/10/12, 09:16 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DaGonz
Runflat tires
Thats a mixed bag, the convience is nice but you pick up some unsprung weight and depending on the manufacturer (Michelin seems to have the most compliant but still substantially stiffer than a conventional sidewall) the side wall can be extremely stiff (Bridgestones are particulalry stiff almost like having a solid chunk of plastic rather than rubber in the sidewall).

You would think that a company like BMW would have the ride issues sorted out with a runflat (they use Bridgestone) but alot of BMW owners I've talked to were more than glad to get rid of them for a conventional tire just for the improvement in ride alone as well as saving money. BMW's answer to the increased unsprung weight was to take it out of the rim, unfortunately BMW has a known issue with rims bending and cracking more readily than other manufacturers.

Also depending on how worried the vehicle manufacturer is about litigation (again in BMWs case and I think Bridgestone as well), riding on a flat tire will require replacement rather than repair.

Frankly I'll take what I've got now from Ford - TPMS, an air pump and a bottle of fix-a-flat to which I've added a tire plug kit if the penetrating object has been ejected.

In both cases catastrophic tire damage will leave the tire and conversely the vehicle inoperable without a spare.
Old 7/18/12, 06:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Sorry that I didn't read through all 25 pages but my gripe is the same one I had back in 2005 and again in 2010 get rid of the stupid antenna and get one built into the rear windshield. I hate the look of the antenna and affordable cars have had them for years.... my mom's 1997 and her current 2003 Camry have them! Sad that a 20k has it but a 60k GT500 doesn't

simple gripe but still a valid one.
Old 7/19/12, 06:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Sorry that I didn't read through all 25 pages but my gripe is the same one I had back in 2005 and again in 2010 get rid of the stupid antenna and get one built into the rear windshield. I hate the look of the antenna and affordable cars have had them for years.... my mom's 1997 and her current 2003 Camry have them! Sad that a 20k has it but a 60k GT500 doesn't

simple gripe but still a valid one.
An antenna in the rear window doesn't work on cars that are also available as convertibles. Perhaps they could come up with 2 different solutions, but I doubt that makes financial sense.
Old 7/19/12, 10:51 AM
Cobra R Member

An antenna in the rear window doesn't work on cars that are also available as convertibles. Perhaps they could come up with 2 different solutions, but I doubt that makes financial sense.
Why not? You need to make different body panels for both coupe and convertible. If I remember correctly the Camaro coupe has the shark fin type antenna while the convertible has one hidden under the rear spoiler. Ford needs to stop justifying cheap solutions on the Mustang as keeping the car affordable. The cat is out of the bag already.... the Mustang is not a low budget, kids car anymore!
Old 7/19/12, 05:11 PM
GT Member

I agree that Ford should do something about the cheap antenna. Ford really needs to bit the bullet and put the antenna in the rear glass for the coupe and somewhere else for the convertible. Yes, it will increase costs a bit, but the Mustang isn't exactly an inexpensive car these days and it will probably be moving a tad upmarket with the next generation.
Old 7/19/12, 06:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by justindo
I agree that Ford should do something about the cheap antenna. Ford really needs to bit the bullet and put the antenna in the rear glass for the coupe and somewhere else for the convertible. Yes, it will increase costs a bit, but the Mustang isn't exactly an inexpensive car these days and it will probably be moving a tad upmarket with the next generation.
How much would it add? An $18000 Camry has it why not a $60000 Shelby?
Old 7/19/12, 11:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Screw it, put the **** thing in the windshield! I have an aftermarket Alpine antenna that sticks onto the windshield and it works fine (and it's pretty much invisible). They could easily integrate it into the windshield glass.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?