2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Old 4/10/10, 03:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

The 2010+ is a good platform but it's lacking in a lot of areas. Namely the gadgets that Ford is putting in other models. I think 2014 will be THE year to own. Here's my wish list, hopefully at least a few of these make it into the redesign.

I tried to summarize the input from this thread. I roughly ordered them from most important to least important.

Standard Improvements (Across all models)
- Reduced curb weight, or at least maintain current weight. Do NOT get fatter or larger!
- True proximity based keyless entry.
- Push button start.
- Aluminum dead pedal.
- Improved AM/FM & Sirius antenna aesthetics. Shaved, paint matched, integrated into window, etc.
- Wider tires with standard and optional wheels (255 - 275 minimum) with improved wheel offset for a more aggressive stance.
- Paddle shifters for automatics. Standard or part of an ATPP ("Automatic Transmission Performance Package") Option. ATPP should enable a transmission Sport Mode feature that makes quicker/harder shifts, shifts closer to redline, doesn't immediately up-shift when easing off the throttle, etc. This would be similar to the sport mode feature found on BMW's iDrive. Paddle shifters could be part of ATPP as well. Launch Control too??
- Hood struts (Black, nothing fancy).
- Direct Injected engines for both V6 and GT.
- Height adjustable seat belts.
- IRS if it can match current live axle performance.
- Center stack LEDs change in conjunction with the gauge color - we want more than just Ice Blue.
- Better seat bolsters.
- All-in-one customizable driving modes. Tweaks the steering, shocks, stability control, throttle response, etc. Have predefined modes such as Race, Sport, Cruising, etc. Allow driver to choose a predefined mode as well as create at least two custom modes with their own combination of settings.
- More features standard with the Premium model. Brembo brakes, HIDs, etc.
- Over The Top vinyl racing stripes go to the bottom of the front and rear bumpers. Current OTT stripes stop at hood.
- Rear seat quick access button (slides seat forward).
- LED bulbs throughout vehicle. Map lights, license plate, side markers, etc.
- Higher quality door panel material. Hard plastic feels cheap.
- Slick looking 50th anniversary key fob.
- Modern Mustang logo brand throughout vehicle. Currently grill mustang looks different from emblem on wheels, mustang door panels on 401A package, etc.

Optional features or Standard with Premium model
- Memory seats.
- Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT).
- Recaro / GT500 / Sport seats.
- Rev-match feature similar to Nissan 370Z (Auto and MT).
- Brembo brake package optional for Automatic/DCT transmission.
- Improved Shaker 500 / Shaker 1000 audio. Partner with Sony, JBL, Polk, Harman Kardon, etc. for a speaker package an audiophile can appreciate, without breaking the budget. Should be compatible with Navigation package. Subs in doors. Nice mids with tweeters. Proper door insulation and no rattles.
- MyFord Touch. Snappier UI and less buggy than today's version. Improved interface flow. Integrated web browser with 3G/4G access via MiFi or mobile hotspot. More voice commands. Sync voice recognition intelligence approved. Right now Sync prompts you one question at a time. For example first you say "phone", then you pause for a moment and say "call Mom". It's a multi-step process. I just want to say "phone call Mom". Also a Sync voice that's more realistic sounding, and less computer-like, would be nice.
- Internet access through the Navigation system by tethering with smart phone. Simple web browser, etc. Also a Driving Dashboard which can be customized by the driver. Widget support which can display things such as weather, stocks, sports, etc.
- Boss 302 5.0L engine upgrade package for GT.
- Cold weather package (Heated mirrors, heated seats, etc).
- Telescoping steering wheel.
- Adjustable pedals.
- HUD - Heads up Display. Very low priority with MyFord Touch.

Last edited by Adam; 12/14/11 at 10:40 PM.
Old 4/10/10, 03:17 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Adam2004
The 2010+ is a good platform but it's lacking in a lot of areas. Namely the gadgets that Ford is putting in a lot of other models. I think 2014 will be THE year to own. Here's my wish list, hopefully at least a few of these make it into the redesign.

- True keyless entry (proximity based)
- Push button start
- Improved antenna aesthetics (shaved, paint matched, etc)
- Paddle shifters for automatics
- Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
- MyFord Touch
- Internet access through the Navigation system
- Height adjustable seat belts
- Improved Shaker 500 / Shaker 1000 audio
That's a great start. I'd add telescoping steering wheel and / or adjustable pedals.
Old 4/10/10, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

The 2010+ is a good platform but it's lacking in a lot of areas. Namely the gadgets that Ford is putting in a lot of other models. I think 2014 will be THE year to own. Here's my wish list, hopefully at least a few of these make it into the redesign.

- Push button start
- Improved antenna aesthetics (shaved, paint matched, etc)
- MyFord Touch
- Height adjustable seat belts
- Improved Shaker 500 / Shaker 1000 audio
I would like to see these.

- MyFord Touch
- Improved Shaker 500 / Shaker 1000 audio or a Mark Levinson type setup or similiar
- Brembos at all 4 corners and not just the fronts
-10" wide read wheels with 295's out back
Old 4/10/10, 04:17 PM
Cobra R Member

On top of what's been covered technology wise...
- At least memory seat in the driver's side.
- digital speed display
- LED lighting throughout
- HID Fogs option

What are people's opinion for cylinder deactivation? Seems like it may be hard to tap more mpg out of the 5.0 (with some improvement in HP) without it...
Old 4/10/10, 05:08 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love heads up displays. We still have to look down like cave people to know how fast we are going.
Old 4/11/10, 01:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Some good choices, in particular I agree with:

Paddle shifters for automatics
Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
Antenna in windscreen or rear screen
Driver's memory seat
Keep the interior quality improvements coming - better quality plastics on the doors, for example.
Excellent stance from the factory - lowered, with the wheels pushed right out, please.

I'm not too bothered about Sync or Nav as my car is a weekend cruiser, so I know where I'm going and prefer to listen to the engine
Old 4/11/10, 08:02 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I love heads up displays. We still have to look down like cave people to know how fast we are going.
Cave people? Seriously?

Out of the options I've seen listed some seem impractical for a car in the mustangs price range. Keyless entry would be a big selling point for me personally! As stated before when it comes to stance, Ford can't legally do that. Something about having to be able to accomodate tire chains!
Old 4/11/10, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT

What are people's opinion for cylinder deactivation? Seems like it may be hard to tap more mpg out of the 5.0 (with some improvement in HP) without it...
Cylinder Deactivation/Displacement on Demand/Active Fuel Management/Multiple Displacement Systems? They're touchy creatures. As long as the programming isnt too intrusive it isnt bad. My Challenger has it and it was made more touchy for 2010, it intrudes alot. This intrusion causes throttle delay and the engine bogs as it reactivates the cylinders and rev's the RPM up to get power going again. While .5 seconds doesnt sound like alot..trust me..it is.

What Ford could do, if they were wise, is make it user controlled. "Oh I'm driving on the interstate, just cruising? I'll turn it on with this little button on the center stack" "Oh I'm wanting to do some hot rodding without throttle delay? off it goes".

Best of both worlds, fuel economy without a nosey computer deciding if you want to drive a V4 or V8.
Old 4/11/10, 01:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
Out of the options I've seen listed some seem impractical for a car in the mustangs price range. Keyless entry would be a big selling point for me personally! As stated before when it comes to stance, Ford can't legally do that. Something about having to be able to accomodate tire chains!
I'm trying to be as realistic as possible but there are still some wish list items in this thread. For example, DCT and Telescoping steering wheel I'd put as a "maybe". The Corvette doesn't even have DCT, so it's probably wishful thinking that Ford would have it as an option on the Mustang. Adjustable pedals and other luxury items like air conditioned seats are not likely.
Old 4/11/10, 02:56 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I'm trying to be as realistic as possible but there are still some wish list items in this thread. For example, DCT and Telescoping steering wheel I'd put as a "maybe". The Corvette doesn't even have DCT, so it's probably wishful thinking that Ford would have it as an option on the Mustang. Adjustable pedals and other luxury items like air conditioned seats are not likely.
I promise that was not directed towards your post. Most of yours are thorns in my side as well! My biggest pet peeve with our cars is the fact that they don't use the technology from others in the Ford line up. Since early 2000's all Expeditions have had antennas in the window, why can't their leading sports car? My sisters 2002 V6 Convertible has lighted mirrors, a hood light, and hinges that hold the hood open without a prop rod. It also has a trunk pop. My 2002 Lariat F250 has heated seats, I don't see any reason why a fully loaded Mustang shouldn't (and it was an option mid 07).

Most of the interior corners I think Ford cut were resolved in the '10 and I'm really happy about that, I just hope they don't fall back again. It's better for all of us if they do as we get more for our money!
Old 4/11/10, 03:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 541MoparMan
What Ford could do, if they were wise, is make it user controlled. "Oh I'm driving on the interstate, just cruising? I'll turn it on with this little button on the center stack" "Oh I'm wanting to do some hot rodding without throttle delay? off it goes".

Best of both worlds, fuel economy without a nosey computer deciding if you want to drive a V4 or V8.
I was thinking along those same lines.
A driver operated 'economy mode', 'sport mode', etc., that affects more than Stability Control.
Instead of having to load tunes for different scenario's, just hit the button, and the ECM is remapped (and Auto trans).

I certainly hope they make the rear end design more fluent.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/11/10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 4/11/10, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

i vote on the SVT variant the seat inserts be snakeskin textured like.
Old 4/11/10, 05:09 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I see a whole lot of "meh", if they can implement that stuff for next to nothing I'm all for it, if it elevates the Mustang into luxury car price segment - please share the next gen Mustang platform with a smaller dedicated sports car and call it a Cobra and add these features.

Part and parcel of Mustang's success is being a relative bargin compared to alot of sport coupes out there. Add a bunch of convience features and push the entry price above Camaro and Challenger levels and they will dominate the market leaving Mustang with the scraps further driving up the price.

IMO I would amend the thread title to say; What are some improvement you want to see in all Ford vehicles so they will end up in the MY 2014 Mustang.

Anyways, I vote for a tall deck version of the 5.0 so they can squeeze another one to two liters out of it, since IRS is coming, I want a bullet proof independant rear suspension that handily out performs the current SRA in ALL metrics (durability, through the turns, ride comfort, straight line acceleration, ect).

I also want a 2014 Mustang that doesn't just bench its primary competitor. I want a car that aims higher on the list. I'm not saying it has to blow an M3 away in overall handiling or destory a Cayman S in steering repsonse, but I want Mustang to get as close as possible with the budget alotted.

Last edited by bob; 4/11/10 at 05:15 PM.
Old 4/11/10, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

-Curb weight of 3200 lbs for a manual trans GT
-Smaller exterior dimensions, somewhere between a Fox and SN95 would be good
-Standard 17" wheels on the GT
-A smaller more efficient V8 as the base GT engine (350 hp and 30 mpg highway would be nice)
-Ala carte individual option ordering
-No more trunk wart on any trim level
Old 4/11/10, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

hood shocks to hold the hood open instead of that flimsy bar thing they have.
Old 4/11/10, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I was thinking along those same lines.
A driver operated 'economy mode', 'sport mode', etc., that affects more than Stability Control.
Instead of having to load tunes for different scenario's, just hit the button, and the ECM is remapped (and Auto trans).

I certainly hope they make the rear end design more fluent.

VERY good idea. BMW does that with their iDrive system.

Economy Cruising : 4 cylinders, soft shifts and low rev's. Traction and stability control full on

Sport: 8 Cylinders, firmer shifts and more aggressive rev's Traction and stability control relaxed

Competition: full power, firm shifts and maximum engine rev's for performance. Traction and stability control full off, your *** is on the line with this one.

Manual having the same options just without the programmed shifts
Old 4/13/10, 08:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford's Ready to Listen

http://www.thefordstory.com/

YOUR IDEAS!!!!
Old 4/13/10, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I second the driver's side seat memory. When the wife drives it, I have a hard time getting the seat/mirrors, etc., back to where I want it. Mercedes has had this for a very long time.
Old 4/13/10, 09:08 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I second the driver's side seat memory. When the wife drives it, I have a hard time getting the seat/mirrors, etc., back to where I want it. Mercedes has had this for a very long time.
Ford has had it available in several other models as well, such as my F250 mentioned earlier!
Old 4/13/10, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

drivers side mem
DI on the 5.0 to get us to 450+ hp
heated mirrors packaged with the heated seats (those of us in colder climates will appreciate)
twin turbo 5.0 on the SVT 6000hp?(packaging wont fit in the S197 but hopefully redesign will accomodate)
IRS (well tuned M3 benchmark)
DCT
keyless entry
adjustable suspension

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?