2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/11, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch
Why oh why didn't they just leave it like that?

The 67 inspired hood is better than the plain s197 hood, the tail lights are FAR better looking, and the hatchback would have made it a far more useful car with the same look. Not to mention the t-top style sunroof. I prefer the full glass roof, but it is pretty cool. It's like they took everything unique and inspired about the show car and decided to leave it behind. So strange in hindsight.

Like most sacrifices in car design, I'm sure all these things were a vistim of the bean counters, but the Camaro and Challenger managed to remain pretty true to their prototypes/show cars. Love them or hate them, you have to at least admire them for that.
Old 7/15/11, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
Why oh why didn't they just leave it like that?

The 67 inspired hood is better than the plain s197 hood, the tail lights are FAR better looking, and the hatchback would have made it a far more useful car with the same look. Not to mention the t-top style sunroof. I prefer the full glass roof, but it is pretty cool. It's like they took everything unique and inspired about the show car and decided to leave it behind. So strange in hindsight.

Like most sacrifices in car design, I'm sure all these things were a vistim of the bean counters, but the Camaro and Challenger managed to remain pretty true to their prototypes/show cars. Love them or hate them, you have to at least admire them for that.

I always thought this was just the nudge over the top the S197 needed.

The Iacocca addition.
Attached Thumbnails What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?-ford-mustang-lee-iacocca-45th-anniversary-edition-2009-img_2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 7/15/11, 01:36 PM

Sexy beast for sure. Best sn197

Old 7/15/11, 01:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Stunning.

Would love to see the same look applied to the 2010+
Old 7/16/11, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

What I like about the Iacocca Edition is how conservative and refined it is. Not a lot of superfluous bling and boy-racer elements there...
Old 8/22/11, 07:39 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Was just thinkin about this..now I'm not sure if the current MyFordTouch systems have anything like this or any Ford vehicles...and it only really became a blip on the radar for me since I just came back from the US for the WWDC...
(Its a feature my wifes 2004 Grand Prix has, and I think its pretty cool)

The speedo only has 1 set of numbers.
There's a light on the speedo that either is MPH or Km/h
It would be cool if that were part of the setup. This way Ford wouldn't have to do 2 dash/gauge setups for the different regions.

My only gripe with my 05 was the MPH #s were so tiny and hard to read.
If I were able to just flip the gauges ... it would have been nice.
Old 8/23/11, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And how about a digital speed readout in the center of the analog speedometer?
Old 8/23/11, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
And how about a digital speed readout in the center of the analog speedometer?
I think this is a fantastic idea. I recently rented a new Ford Explorer with the My Ford Touch. As I'm sure most of you are aware, there is a large analog speedo flanked by an LCD screen on each side. I think in the Mustang it would be far more appropriate if that gauge were a tach and the speedo were digital within the tach or displayed on one of the screens.
Old 8/23/11, 02:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring back the global windows from the early '05 models with the Security Package. Being able to put your windows down remotely is a great feature I wish they'd have kept or tried again after it was taken out.
Old 8/23/11, 02:28 PM

An optional HUD would be awesome.
Old 8/23/11, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vorian
An optional HUD would be awesome.
This^
And maybe a More user friendly set of cup holders. And where is my integrated garage door opener?

Last edited by hahnsolo78; 8/23/11 at 02:36 PM.
Old 8/24/11, 07:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hahnsolo78
This^
And maybe a More user friendly set of cup holders. And where is my integrated garage door opener?
The integrated garage door opener is already standard on the V6 Premium and GT Premium.
Old 8/24/11, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang

The integrated garage door opener is already standard on the V6 Premium and GT Premium.
Not my 2011
Old 9/6/11, 04:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm only three days into Mustang ownership (just bought a 2011 race red GT coupe!) but here's what I'd like to see:
- Better side bolstering in the seats and a thigh support extender (drove a 2001 BMW 330i with that and it was great for long-legged people like me.)
- Telescoping steering wheel: it's insane that a car in 2011 that costs a minimum of $22,000 doesn't have this feature when many cars at lower price points do.
- More interior storage: the center console storage is not nearly enough and the little door pockets are so small and at such an awkward angle that they're almost useless. The '03 Mazda6 I just got rid of had an awesome storage compartment above the radio area in the top of the dash, along with a small storage area right under where the headlight control is on the Mustang. It also had a nice big glovebox, something the Mustang lacks. And it also had cupholders in the doors, which would be nice since the two we have are a pain to use when you have a manual tranny car.
- Moonroof option: I'm guessing the $1,995 glass roof isn't selling very well; I can't remember even seeing one on the road, so bring back the normal moonroof. Not all of us want a vert but being able to open up a moonroof would be great.
- More modern looking info display, specifically the font/color. Ford's used that same font in either blue or green for a long time - time for something more modern.
- IRS: it's time. There's a reason everybody else has them now - solid rear axle is bumpy and choppy on crappy roads, which are everywhere in this country. Yes, it's not noticeable on the racetrack and Ford's done incredible tuning with it, but most of us don't drive on the track very often. The drag racers could still buy a Cobra Jet type model with a SRA.
- Multiple tuning modes: similar to MyKey or the TracKey, why can't we switch between an eco mode and a performance mode. Could be done through an interface in the car or with a key. Side note: beyond Mustang, this really makes sense for the EcoBoost F-150. Why not have a full power mode for hauling/towing and an eco mode for all the time that truck is being driven unloaded?
- Factory option for aftermarket exhaust: so many alter their exhaust quickly and the warranty issue could be taken away with a factory option or two. A two-mode system like the Corvette has would also be an option here.
- Keep the electronic stuff as optional: I didn't get navigation in mine and I have no desire for MyFordTouch. Sync is enough technology for me and that's fine because it's not needed for normal operation of the car. The simplicity of the controls is one of my favorite parts about my car - "wow, a normal radio tuning **** - crazy idea!"

I love, love, love my Stang, but there's always improvements that can be made - there's a few things I'd consider if I were Ford.

Last edited by kylerohde; 9/6/11 at 04:02 PM.
Old 9/6/11, 04:16 PM

Integrate the MySync, or whatever LCD readout, with the already available OBDII data. That would be a boon for:
  • Knowing exactly what's triggering the dreaded check engine light.
  • Impending issues before they get bad enough to trigger a CEL
  • Performance and general tuning
  • General vehicle operation curiosity
I seem to recall that the Nissan GT-R has something like this where you can select and monitor a wealth of engine and vehicle operation information and parameters. You can currently get hardware, PC/Mac(?) software and even some iPod/iPhone/iPad(?)/Android(?) apps that plug into the OBDII port and do the same thing. So, in other words, it's readily doable with existing hardware and software.
Old 9/7/11, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I do not think they will ever volunteer that information. It is handing you the ability to diagnose and repair your own vehicle and that is not how they make money.

Originally Posted by rhumb
Integrate the MySync, or whatever LCD readout, with the already available OBDII data. That would be a boon for:
  • Knowing exactly what's triggering the dreaded check engine light.
  • Impending issues before they get bad enough to trigger a CEL
  • Performance and general tuning
  • General vehicle operation curiosity
I seem to recall that the Nissan GT-R has something like this where you can select and monitor a wealth of engine and vehicle operation information and parameters. You can currently get hardware, PC/Mac(?) software and even some iPod/iPhone/iPad(?)/Android(?) apps that plug into the OBDII port and do the same thing. So, in other words, it's readily doable with existing hardware and software.
Old 9/7/11, 07:20 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewman
I do not think they will ever volunteer that information. It is handing you the ability to diagnose and repair your own vehicle and that is not how they make money.
Gm did it back in the late 90s. Ford could do it.
Old 9/7/11, 07:30 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
- IRS: it's time. There's a reason everybody else has them now - solid rear axle is bumpy and choppy on crappy roads, which are everywhere in this country. Yes, it's not noticeable on the racetrack and Ford's done incredible tuning with it, but most of us don't drive on the track very often. The drag racers could still buy a Cobra Jet type model with a SRA.
A plug and play rear suspension would compromise both the IRS and SRA and add uneeded cost, complexity and soak up to much rear end real estate to do both properly. I know people want a win/win situation making both camps happy, but frankly Ford is either going to have fire the SRA crowd or turn thier back on the IRS bunch in order to make either rear suspension something more than medicore.
Old 9/7/11, 07:51 AM
GT Member

If FORD puts too much tech into the next gen Mustang, it'll turn me off. There's no car I coveted more than a '69 Z28. . . so I was anxious for the new Camaro. When it came out, I puked. GM updated it too much, IMHO, and pushed the limit of the design, both interior and exterior. On the other hand, the Mustang has been holding true to it's retro brothers, yet it's a great performance car and doesn't look or feel dated. Most of the tech is well hidden. I like simple, strong functional aspects.

About all I can suggest at this pont is:

- Don't do push button start --
- telescopic wheel - okay
- heated outside mirrors - okay
- less plastic in the doors - yes
- 18 X 9" bullitt style wheels - yes
- extendable sunvisors
- liners in the wheel wells
Old 9/7/11, 08:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tetstang
If FORD puts too much tech into the next gen Mustang, it'll turn me off. There's no car I coveted more than a '69 Z28. . . so I was anxious for the new Camaro. When it came out, I puked. GM updated it too much, IMHO, and pushed the limit of the design, both interior and exterior. On the other hand, the Mustang has been holding true to it's retro brothers, yet it's a great performance car and doesn't look or feel dated. Most of the tech is well hidden. I like simple, strong functional aspects.

About all I can suggest at this pont is:

- Don't do push button start --
- telescopic wheel - okay
- heated outside mirrors - okay
- less plastic in the doors - yes
- 18 X 9" bullitt style wheels - yes
- extendable sunvisors
- liners in the wheel wells
I agree!

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?