2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/11, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Really...that's your beef?
Thats a Euro standard. If the cars going global it will most likely stay that way.
Old 10/5/11, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch

That is Cool but I wonder how durable it is.. I can see my 3 year old grabbing that protector yanking it off ans saying " What's this Daddy??"
Old 10/5/11, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Brewman
Thats a Euro standard. If the cars going global it will most likely stay that way.

NO thats not my major beef and no, my other car doesnt have to be pushed down towards the ground. just up and to the left.....

my major issues are
Lack of Quality Materials/Parts/Attention to detail
Vehicle needs a diet
Too much plastic everywhere

Last edited by 03Termn8r; 10/5/11 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10/5/11, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
The only "plus" to the prop prod, is no finger prints on the hood upon closing... I for one am a stickler on smudges and prints. God help me when I have to close the trunk.

That's what decklid panels are for... Anti-fingerprint
Old 10/8/11, 10:26 PM
Cobra R Member

7-speed automatic transmission
Old 10/12/11, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Optional gatling guns and grenade launchers
Old 10/12/11, 11:23 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Termn8r
Vehicle needs a diet
Well a 1993 Mustang GT hatchback weighed in at a svelte 3144 pounds w/ manual tranmission.

However comparitively speaking its a death trap and would require a roll cage to equal the chassis stiffness of the current car (that'd add about 80-90 pounds)

That car also had puny disc/drum brakes (IIRC the front rotors were less than 12" in dia.) and 15" diameter wheels

Had an M5 tranmission that couldn't support more than 300 ft/lbs

Had 28 spline axles (which aren't pretty bad but I doubt they would hold up that long with good traction behind the 400+hp engine Ford is making now).

Had a cooling system that was only good for a 250hp engine.

And I could go on.

So what your really saying is that you would forego the current high 12 second Mustang that is the best handling best braking Mustang ever to have graced the earth for a mid to low 14 second car that had terribly unpredictable handling and laughable braking and in the sort of serious accident you would survive in the current car and walk away from would leave you seriously injured or even dead in the former car all so you could save 450 pounds of weight.
Old 10/17/11, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Well a 1993 Mustang GT hatchback weighed in at a svelte 3144 pounds w/ manual tranmission.

However comparitively speaking its a death trap and would require a roll cage to equal the chassis stiffness of the current car (that'd add about 80-90 pounds)

That car also had puny disc/drum brakes (IIRC the front rotors were less than 12" in dia.) and 15" diameter wheels

Had an M5 tranmission that couldn't support more than 300 ft/lbs

Had 28 spline axles (which aren't pretty bad but I doubt they would hold up that long with good traction behind the 400+hp engine Ford is making now).

Had a cooling system that was only good for a 250hp engine.

And I could go on.

So what your really saying is that you would forego the current high 12 second Mustang that is the best handling best braking Mustang ever to have graced the earth for a mid to low 14 second car that had terribly unpredictable handling and laughable braking and in the sort of serious accident you would survive in the current car and walk away from would leave you seriously injured or even dead in the former car all so you could save 450 pounds of weight.
TRUE DAT BUT, Todays Steel is lighter and stronger so a lighter and safer Mustang is possible. Add to that advancements in other materials and you and shave off weight with out compromise.
Old 10/18/11, 11:53 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Brewman
TRUE DAT BUT, Todays Steel is lighter and stronger so a lighter and safer Mustang is possible. Add to that advancements in other materials and you and shave off weight with out compromise.
I'm waiting to see where Ford goes with that, I read in a link to a BMW Q&A elswhere even the M cars are having trouble keeping the weight down. Although they've done a good job at it since the new M5 is just 70 pounds heavier than the regular 5 series car.

However, its not just the body thats adding weight, the drivetrains and thier support systems add alot as well. The coyote V8 was put on a pretty extensive diet and yet it still weighs right in or a bit more than the 4.6 3v it replaced.
Old 10/19/11, 12:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the increased safety. , airbags glass, sound insulation. Etc weight will be a tough battle

Last edited by UnrealFord; 10/19/11 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10/19/11, 03:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
I'm waiting to see where Ford goes with that, I read in a link to a BMW Q&A elswhere even the M cars are having trouble keeping the weight down. Although they've done a good job at it since the new M5 is just 70 pounds heavier than the regular 5 series car.

However, its not just the body thats adding weight, the drivetrains and thier support systems add alot as well. The coyote V8 was put on a pretty extensive diet and yet it still weighs right in or a bit more than the 4.6 3v it replaced.
I hear yah. The other problem is many of the newer materials that are lightweight are a lot more expensive. I am sure they could make a drive shaft out of composites that would be several pound lighter but would add hundreds of dollars to the car.
Old 10/26/11, 09:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to see a lighter weight car myself. Mazda can manage a sub 3000lb car with the RX8, and that is a quasi four door, true 2+2 with enough chassis stiffening added around the huge door openings to choke a mule. Even with a 5.0L V-8 and stouter driveline added Ford should be able to provide us a sub 3400lb GT without breaking a sweat. Of course, I also don't mind if the car gets a bit smaller to manage that, so long as front seat room stays relatively generous I don't see that as a problem. A couple of inches from the wheelbase and overall length, and a little less section height below the windows and you would lose a lot of weight just by ridding the car of mass.

A telescoping steering column is looooong overdue at this point.

Also, why can I buy an AWD, WRX sedan for 25k and change without even haggling but the most basic Mustang GT is 29k and change? No, they aren't similar, but the disparity in price tags isn't justified by the equipment. My local dealer just offered to sell me a 5.0L V-8 powered F-150 4wd for 22k and change plus TTT. Yes, that is a base model, but the majority of features are no worse than you will find in a base Mustang and I would get about another 2,000lb worth of steel and 4wd for my trouble. Heck, the afore-mentioned RX8 starts about notable below where the current Mustang GT does despite ridiculously limited volume, IRS, and a convoluted chassis design. Even the simple Wankel motor likely isn't cheap because it isn't used in anything else. At this point I think it pretty clear, the profit margin on the Mustang is probably pretty healthy, IMO likely a little too healthy for the long term good of the car. Either the Mustang needs to shed some price tag or it needs to pick it up in the materials and equipment department. And frankly, I would prefer that it shed some price tag.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by jsaylor; 10/26/11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10/26/11, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I would like to see a lighter weight car myself. Mazda can manage a sub 3000lb car with the RX8, and that is a quasi four door, true 2+2 with enough chassis stiffening added around the huge door openings to choke a mule. Even with a 5.0L V-8 and stouter driveline added Ford should be able to provide us a sub 3400lb GT without breaking a sweat. Of course, I also don't mind if the car gets a bit smaller to manage that, so long as front seat room stays relatively generous I don't see that as a problem. A couple of inches from the wheelbase and overall length, and a little less section height below the windows and you would lose a lot of weight just by ridding the car of mass.

A telescoping steering column is looooong overdue at this point.

Also, why can I buy an AWD, WRX sedan for 25k and change without even haggling but the most basic Mustang GT is 29k and change? No, they aren't similar, but the disparity in price tags isn't justified by the equipment. My local dealer just offered to sell me a 5.0L V-8 powered F-150 4wd for 22k and change plus TTT. Yes, that is a base model, but the majority of features are no worse than you will find in a base Mustang and I would get about another 2,000lb worth of steel and 4wd for my trouble. Heck, the afore-mentioned RX8 starts about notable below where the current Mustang GT does despite ridiculously limited volume, IRS, and a convoluted chassis design. Even the simple Wankel motor likely isn't cheap because it isn't used in anything else. At this point I think it pretty clear, the profit margin on the Mustang is probably pretty healthy, IMO likely a little too healthy for the long term good of the car. Either the Mustang needs to shed some price tag or it needs to pick it up in the materials and equipment department. And frankly, I would prefer that it shed some price tag.

Just my two cents.
Nicely stated! A great looking, 3200lb 2015 Mustang GT starting at $24-25k is a pipedream to be sure but would be a perfect storm of what I'd love to see. I'd bet they would sell like hotcakes...
Old 10/26/11, 10:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Nicely stated! A great looking, 3200lb 2015 Mustang GT starting at $24-25k is a pipedream to be sure but would be a perfect storm of what I'd love to see. I'd bet they would sell like hotcakes...
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone on this. I too am virtually certain that Ford would not consider such a thing, but can you imagine the publicity a truly great little, V-8 powered 2+2 would generate at an affordable price? I have little doubt ales of every Ford car would benefit.
Old 10/26/11, 11:33 PM
Cobra Member

I've little doubt that it'd leave GM and Chrysler scrambling to pick their jaws off the floor and might even be a bit like 1964 all over again! A publicity coup to be sure...
Old 11/2/11, 04:23 PM
Banned

A Turbo V6 (gt-t) lol. Forged internals on the 5.0. A little more quality (Fix all the rattles). No more mt82.
Old 11/3/11, 10:45 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
THE 05-09 CARS WERE GREAT BUT LACKED POWER AND HANDLING, AND MAN IF I HAD BOUGHT A 2010 THEN ID BE REALLY DISAPPONTED BCAUSE A LIL OF THAT RETRO FEEL WAS LOST AND COMPARED TO A 2011 5.0 THEY ARE JUST SLOW. I LOVED THE STYLE OF MY 2009 BUT MY NEW 5.0 IS 5 TIMES THE CAR -IT HANDLES AND RUNS LIKE A MUSCLE CAR SHOULD. AS FAR AS RUNNING I DONT SEE HOW THEY CAN IMPROVE ON THE PERFORMANCE MUCH . ALL IT NEEDS NOW IS A LIL BODY CHANGES AND MAN ,,WHAT A RIDE
Old 11/3/11, 11:41 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

MAN, YOU SEEM REALLY UPSET ABOUT THE 05-09 CARS?

Anyways, I agree the 05-09 cars could have had tighter handling but they were defintely a magnitude in improvement over the out going SN95/New Edge cars.

Honestly power is subjective. Maybe I'm old school but a mid 13 second to low 14 second car (I dont give a **** if its a Honda Accord or Scion TC) is pretty fast. We've just been spoiled in the last decade or so by the improvements in traction and power (not condemning it one bit mind you) that have been made available at an affordable price.

I suppose it will level off at some point once we start seeing factory 12 second mini-vans and 10 second base V6 Pony cars
Old 11/9/11, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
MAN, YOU SEEM REALLY UPSET ABOUT THE 05-09 CARS?

Anyways, I agree the 05-09 cars could have had tighter handling but they were defintely a magnitude in improvement over the out going SN95/New Edge cars.

Honestly power is subjective. Maybe I'm old school but a mid 13 second to low 14 second car (I dont give a **** if its a Honda Accord or Scion TC) is pretty fast. We've just been spoiled in the last decade or so by the improvements in traction and power (not condemning it one bit mind you) that have been made available at an affordable price.

I suppose it will level off at some point once we start seeing factory 12 second mini-vans and 10 second base V6 Pony cars
I agree with Bob, we've become a bit jaded by performance lately. A 13 second car is far faster than need be in many ways. Performance is always a relative term. In some ways I am hoping that the new Subieyota will prove that 0-60 isn't everything. I hate to be routing for them but I am.

I feel like if you were to set up a 2010 Mustang to your best track preference and go with it, it would run much faster than you might think. The Drag strip is a one dimensional test of a car's performance and potential. I love drag racing but watching the right driver tackle VIR in a Mazda 3 is far more interesting. Don't know if you guys watched the video of the Porsche GT2 RS and Renault Megane yesterday, but performance is in the hands of the weilder. Not to say that somethings were awry with the comparisons, it was still impressive to watch. What I'm trying to say in short is that everyone has to slow down in the corners and if your faster/smoother in those technical areas, you've just become the faster car. Or at least evenly matched.

I've gone off on a tangent. Just to perk everyone up, I'm feeling better about turbo 4's these days. Call me crazy but I am. Just think. Ford offers the best of both worlds. A Turbo4 and a V8 again, both potent and powerful. The V-6's seem to be on the way out and at this point I'd almost rather see the Turbo 4 than another V6 anyway.
Old 11/9/11, 09:02 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor

Cant disagree there, lmao, Ford is probably using the margin on the Mustang to completely cover thier loan repayments which I understand accounts for a 1200 dollar overhead on each vehicle sold.

Which is kinda depressing when you consider GM's overhead on each car due to the bailout is only about 350 bucks per vehicle.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?