2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/12, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HUD.. and stereo speakers that don't suck
Old 12/15/12, 10:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Five.Point.Oh
I hope Ford never gives the Mustang the option of AWD. It's not what it's made for. And, it has never it's history been anything but RWD. Like I said with the rumored sedan Mustang, make it, but don't call it the Mustang.
So what about things like fuel injection and disc brakes? I don't see how offering AWD would change what it is made for. Ferreri and Lamborghini are in the process of eliminating manual transmissions from their lineups. Mustang fans shouldn't wan't to reject progress. With the option the purist can still keep the car RWD if he/she chooses. I think it would make it a more practical vehicle for those that live along the snow belt. I for one am less inclined to buy another mustang as a daily driver for this reason. If Ford offered AWD then it would be a no brainer for me.

The AWD systems in the G35 and Charger drive just like a RWD car and only put power to the front wheels to gain traction.
Old 12/16/12, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Five.Point.Oh
I hope Ford never gives the Mustang the option of AWD. It's not what it's made for. And, it has never it's history been anything but RWD. Like I said with the rumored sedan Mustang, make it, but don't call it the Mustang.
+1 I was about to say the exact same thing.
Old 12/16/12, 09:47 AM
Banned

I'm guessing that most of you would no longer be able to afford the mustang you WANT Ford to make.
Old 12/16/12, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by #13
I'm guessing that most of you would no longer be able to afford the mustang you WANT Ford to make.
Actually that has already happened with 40k GTs and 60k GT500s. An AWD option would be no more than the glass roof option.
Old 12/16/12, 04:38 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Munk
I the AWD will make it waste more gas and make it heavier.
AWD represents around a 1-3% MPG penalty so its negligible but you do have to make space for it which can add size and mass when you don't necessarily have to.
Old 12/18/12, 07:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
So what about things like fuel injection and disc brakes? I don't see how offering AWD would change what it is made for. Ferreri and Lamborghini are in the process of eliminating manual transmissions from their lineups. Mustang fans shouldn't wan't to reject progress. With the option the purist can still keep the car RWD if he/she chooses. I think it would make it a more practical vehicle for those that live along the snow belt. I for one am less inclined to buy another mustang as a daily driver for this reason. If Ford offered AWD then it would be a no brainer for me.

The AWD systems in the G35 and Charger drive just like a RWD car and only put power to the front wheels to gain traction.
Well, how will adding AWD to the Mustang make any better? The Mustang is already front heavy and by adding drive to the front wheels wil add an additional 200-300 maybe even up to 500 more pounds on the front, so I don't think giving it AWD will give it any benefit in handling. I can see acceleration progress, but that's only a maybe. Fuel economy wouldn't be any better and that's a huge factor in today's market. Plus, people who are in the market for a Mustang simply don't need AWD. The Mustang has ALWAYS followed a certain formula: front engine, RWD, long hood, short deck... Why break that formula now?
Old 12/19/12, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

while i think AWD would benefit the mustang (especially in northern climates) it would have to be a system similar to the one audi puts on its S and RS cars where they use an active rear differential and torsion style center diff to give the rear wheel drive style handling with the advantage of AWD grip. however that rear diff is a 1k option on top of an already 50-60k car, plus ford has nothing like that developed in its parts bin. the AWD systems they have are all designed for uni body SUVs and giving family sedans some extra traction. i just dont see ford being able to engineer all that specifically for the mustang and what will be a low take rate option. i wouldnt want them to half *** it or add 5gs to the price.
Old 12/19/12, 04:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by xlover

while i think AWD would benefit the mustang (especially in northern climates) it would have to be a system similar to the one audi puts on its S and RS cars where they use an active rear differential and torsion style center diff to give the rear wheel drive style handling with the advantage of AWD grip. however that rear diff is a 1k option on top of an already 50-60k car, plus ford has nothing like that developed in its parts bin. the AWD systems they have are all designed for uni body SUVs and giving family sedans some extra traction. i just dont see ford being able to engineer all that specifically for the mustang and what will be a low take rate option. i wouldnt want them to half *** it or add 5gs to the price.
Dodge and Infinity have similar systems on 30-40k vehicles. I think it can be done as a $1000-1500 option ... add anywhere from 150-200LBS to the curb weight. I don't see why a possible optional feature would ruffle so many feathers.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 12/19/12 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12/19/12, 05:43 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna have to side with the others in the 'No AWD' camp. I just don't see it as fitting the character of the Stang. I'd rather the R&D be spent on other things
Old 12/19/12, 05:48 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I'm gonna have to side with the others in the 'No AWD' camp. I just don't see it as fitting the character of the Stang. I'd rather the R&D be spent on other things
Someday it will happen
Old 12/19/12, 06:05 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Someday it will happen
I hope not. It won't kill the car for me, but I feel like if someone needs awd there are other cars available to fill that need
Old 12/19/12, 06:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva

I hope not. It won't kill the car for me, but I feel like if someone needs awd there are other cars available to fill that need
Could be by then you'll have to plug the car in

Just saying someday it'll get dragged along into the 21rst century with the others.

Wouldn't mind seeing a SVO version with AWD based upon a rear wheel drive biased AWD coming down from a Lincoln flagship coupe.
Old 12/19/12, 08:00 PM
Cobra R Member

I guess most people are against AWD. I just don't understand why though, I agree that it should not be standard but why not as an option. Times change. This option would not change the personality of the car, just makes it more complete. I don't see anybody complaining about a Turbo 4 or launch control ...
Old 12/20/12, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dodge and Infinity have similar systems on 30-40k vehicles. I think it can be done as a $1000-1500 option ... add anywhere from 150-200LBS to the curb weight. I don't see why a possible optional feature would ruffle so many feathers.
i have an AWD sport sedan so i am pro AWD however Dodge and infinity's systems are not designed to enhance performance they are merely for bad weather traction. there is a significant difference in the way the system needs to operate in order to provide handling benefit vs just bad weather traction. you will notice the SRT is not available with AWD and infiniti's Sport models are not available with AWD. even BMW doesn't put the sport suspension on X-drive cars (even if you get the sport package), they all use open diffs center and rear. without going that extra mile in design the system would not serve the mustang well. maybe on a v6 model they could put something simple together but for enthusiasts it would likely fall short of making the car better without significant expense.

Last edited by xlover; 12/20/12 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12/23/12, 12:17 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Someday it will happen
Weep I will, or hopefully I've been chucked into the clay by that time.

Probably by then Mustang will be all carbon fiber and AWD will be courtesy of four electric flat motors embedded in the wheels and the sound tube will be a tube connected to a speaker under the dash for ambient sound to go along with ambient lighting which will be tied together to give this super awesome AWD Mustang its retro vibe.

Or just as bad, it will be all ecoboost I4's with a 12 speed DSG connected to AWD with throttle, brakes and steering by wire with an active suspension. It will be hailed as the Mustang that offers all the driving excitement of Forza with the realism of Gran Turismo.
Old 12/23/12, 12:19 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

double post
Old 2/22/13, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

Cylinder deactivation, including manual transmission models would be nice. The C7 Corvette has it. Not sure it would be worth the cost or produce any significant fuel economy increase. Any thoughts?
Old 2/23/13, 05:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Patio218
Cylinder deactivation, including manual transmission models would be nice. The C7 Corvette has it. Not sure it would be worth the cost or produce any significant fuel economy increase. Any thoughts?
I've heard it's not the easiest thing to pull off. Besides, the mustang doesn't really have an MPG problem. It still won't if the next mustang had less drag and weighs a little less. Then add the eventual DI and it should be class leading still.
Old 2/23/13, 06:03 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
I've heard it's not the easiest thing to pull off. Besides, the mustang doesn't really have an MPG problem. It still won't if the next mustang had less drag and weighs a little less. Then add the eventual DI and it should be class leading still.
Wouldn't be to hard to implement given the coyote motors valve train arrangement since it employs a follower and lash adjuster. It seems to me though that cylinder deactivation hampers the rev limit of the engine which may or may not be the case with an OHC design.

I suspect with the introduction of DI we won't see any meaningful increase in horsepower (per Ford) but torque might go up as a result and that will fatten up average power as the tach sweeps toward peak power.

Hopefully in the coming months as we near the 2015 MY details will start to emerge on the next Mustangs powertrain.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?