2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/11, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES!

Originally Posted by todd03blown
hood shocks to hold the hood open instead of that flimsy bar thing they have.
THANK YOU!!!
Old 9/7/11, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewman
I do not think they will ever volunteer that information. It is handing you the ability to diagnose and repair your own vehicle and that is not how they make money.
Probably right, just for that reason -- that dealers would howl in protest that Ford's undercutting a major revenue source for the lame reason to save customer's time, money and inconvenience.

Instead of selling you that new motor when you come in, CEL evil red eye glaring at you from the dash, they'll simply have to tighten that loose breather tube to alleviate that minor vacuum leak as indicated by the 2015 MySync screen.

How's a dealer supposed to stay in business?
Old 9/7/11, 01:31 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Probably right, just for that reason -- that dealers would howl in protest that Ford's undercutting a major revenue source for the lame reason to save customer's time, money and inconvenience.

Instead of selling you that new motor when you come in, CEL evil red eye glaring at you from the dash, they'll simply have to tighten that loose breather tube to alleviate that minor vacuum leak as indicated by the 2015 MySync screen.

How's a dealer supposed to stay in business?
Lmao. For someone that hates accusations you sure gave the dealer one.
Old 9/7/11, 09:37 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tetstang
Most of the tech is well hidden. I like simple, strong functional aspects.
I like this gu... err forumite
Old 9/8/11, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Adam
The 2010+ is a good platform but it's lacking in a lot of areas. Namely the gadgets that Ford is putting in other models. I think 2014 will be THE year to own. Here's my wish list, hopefully at least a few of these make it into the redesign.

I tried to summarize the input from this thread. I roughly ordered them from most important to least important.

Standard Improvements (Across all models)
- Reduced curb weight, or at least maintain current weight. Do NOT get fatter or larger!
- True proximity based keyless entry.
- Push button start.
- Aluminum dead pedal.
- Improved AM/FM & Sirius antenna aesthetics. Shaved, paint matched, integrated into window, etc.
- Wider tires with standard and optional wheels (255 - 275 minimum) with improved wheel offset for a more aggressive stance.
- Paddle shifters for automatics. Standard or part of an ATPP ("Automatic Transmission Performance Package") Option. ATPP should enable a transmission Sport Mode feature that makes quicker/harder shifts, shifts closer to redline, doesn't immediately up-shift when easing off the throttle, etc. This would be similar to the sport mode feature found on BMW's iDrive. Paddle shifters could be part of ATPP as well. Launch Control too??
- Hood struts (Black, nothing fancy).
- Direct Injected engines for both V6 and GT.
- Height adjustable seat belts.
- IRS if it can match current live axle performance.
- Center stack LEDs change in conjunction with the gauge color - we want more than just Ice Blue.
- Better seat bolsters.
- All-in-one customizable driving modes. Tweaks the steering, shocks, stability control, throttle response, etc. Have predefined modes such as Race, Sport, Cruising, etc. Allow driver to choose a predefined mode as well as create at least two custom modes with their own combination of settings.
- More features standard with the Premium model. Brembo brakes, HIDs, etc.
- Backup Camera standard.
- Over The Top vinyl racing stripes go to the bottom of the front and rear bumpers. Current OTT stripes stop at hood.
- Rear seat quick access button (slides seat forward).
- LED bulbs throughout vehicle. Map lights, license plate, side markers, etc.
- Higher quality door panel material. Hard plastic feels cheap.
- Slick looking 50th anniversary key fob.
- Modern Mustang logo brand throughout vehicle. Currently grill mustang looks different from emblem on wheels, mustang door panels on 401A package, etc.

Optional features or Standard with Premium model
- Memory seats.
- Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT).
- Recaro / GT500 / Sport seats.
- Rev-match feature similar to Nissan 370Z (Auto and MT).
- Brembo brake package optional for Automatic/DCT transmission.
- Improved Shaker 500 / Shaker 1000 audio. Partner with Sony, JBL, Polk, Harman Kardon, etc. for a speaker package an audiophile can appreciate, without breaking the budget. Should be compatible with Navigation package. Subs in doors. Nice mids with tweeters. Proper door insulation and no rattles.
- MyFord Touch. Snappier UI and less buggy than today's version. Improved interface flow. Integrated web browser with 3G/4G access via MiFi or mobile hotspot. More voice commands. Sync voice recognition intelligence approved. Right now Sync prompts you one question at a time. For example first you say "phone", then you pause for a moment and say "call Mom". It's a multi-step process. I just want to say "phone call Mom". Also a Sync voice that's more realistic sounding, and less computer-like, would be nice.
- Internet access through the Navigation system by tethering with smart phone. Simple web browser, etc. Also a Driving Dashboard which can be customized by the driver. Widget support which can display things such as weather, stocks, sports, etc.
- Boss 302 5.0L engine upgrade package for GT.
- Cold weather package (Heated mirrors, heated seats, etc).
- Telescoping steering wheel.
- Adjustable pedals.
- HID fog lights.
- HUD - Heads up Display. Very low priority with MyFord Touch.
^ Yes Yes Yes!!!
I'd also like to see much better fit & finish and interior materials please. No more squeaky and rattling things from my dash. Eliminate the drive-line cluck, improve the easy of how the seats slide forward for passengers. Fix the slow responding HD radio tuning, remove the hood prop, add an auto locking fuel door. Keep domestic content 70% or better. The backup camera should be available on any spoiler option. The rear axle needs to be painted too - no more rusty metal!

For premium options , add a factory option Whipple, super brakes that have drilled and slotted rotors front & back.
Old 9/9/11, 12:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedKing
The rear axle needs to be painted too - no more rusty metal!
Didn't they do that in 2011? Anyways it would be nice but its something I wouldn't want to have to pay for.

Less'see I know I posted a few itmes here before but I'll out down;

Kick *** rear suspension, I dont care if its IRS or SRA at this point, still enamored to the strut front and I dont know how reliable a virtual pivot front end is, if its as indestructible as a strut front end, I'll take it (one of the reasons I favor the SRA over the IRS as well)

More communicative steering, that seems a perrenial Mustang complaint, although with EPAS it shouldn't be.

Larger displacement Coyote variant, I know you guys want to go in the other direction and keep lopping off the liter count but man power under the curve feels so **** good. I'd happily pay for a 5.8L road runner based SE.

I think Ford has me covered on the gadgets, MyTouch looks like it will dothe job.

I'll take the mass neutral or incementally lighter wieght car with roughly the same dimensions as the current car but with a stiffer chassis.

As for SE's I'd like to see the brakes bumped up a bit to two-piece stuff so that unsprung weight is trimmed. All the way around that would be like 12-15 pounds off the unspruung end. Look into aluminum suspension bits and uprights if they can achieve an added discount in weight. Also take a look at added aluminum in non critical areas of the chassis like the roof skin and front fenders <-- the caveat here is so long as they aren't so weak that pressing on the fender or roof would dent them easily.

Speaking of brakes, I dont know how expensive it would be to add piston radiators but it seems like a simple addition that could incrementally help with brake fade.

More supportive seats and a paaded console and door atleast on the drivers side so your comfortable when you get all braced up to tackle your favorite turn.

Eh, well I'll think of some more later.
Old 9/22/11, 05:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
better quality leather on the seats and steering wheel. Maybe the same grade as say lexus uses.... That would be nice
Old 9/22/11, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Nice Idea!!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/09...door-edge.html
Old 9/22/11, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, that is a nice idea.
Old 9/22/11, 09:41 AM

Brilliant! Simple but (presumably) effective.
Old 9/22/11, 11:55 AM

As the article said, how did no one come up with this before? Brilliant idea. That patent is gonna be worth serious $$$
Old 9/22/11, 12:26 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
yes yes and more yes!!!

would have saved me $20 in touch up paint!
Old 9/22/11, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I park in the boonies to prevent damage but would love if all cars got these so my wife's car wouldn't get banged up. Great idea.
Old 9/22/11, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
Now if we can just get these to be mandatory on everyones car... I've never personally hit a door/wall, but I've had my door nailed at least once on every car I've ever owned
Old 9/23/11, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Seeing that the 7 speed DCT BMW uses is made by getrag and considering fords relationship with getrag i cant see why they wont pick this tech up for the 2015. I know it is a 3k option on the M3 but i think there would be a solid % of GT500 buyers and probably GT buyers who would throw out the extra cash.
It definitely can handle the power as the new M5 uses it at 500+ ftlbs
Old 9/25/11, 02:52 PM
V6 Member

Since Ford apparently plans to start selling the Mustang in Europe as well the single one most important thing to implement on the new car is heavily reduced emissions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an eco dork at all but the simple fact is that most European countries are implementing CO2 output based registration taxes atm. Varying from almost zero (Germany) up to 100 (Netherlands) to even 180% of the retail value (Danmark). Every gram of CO2 adds massive costs and quickly renders these cars unsellable in most countries.

Mind you, keep the V8's and the V6's, I love them too. But to sell Mustangs over here unfortunately they will have to be equipped with a low emission 2 liter 4 banger turbo, otherwise Ford can save themselves the trouble.

Last edited by Ericc B; 9/25/11 at 02:54 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by xlover
Seeing that the 7 speed DCT BMW uses is made by getrag and considering fords relationship with getrag i cant see why they wont pick this tech up for the 2015. I know it is a 3k option on the M3 but i think there would be a solid % of GT500 buyers and probably GT buyers who would throw out the extra cash.
It definitely can handle the power as the new M5 uses it at 500+ ftlbs
Hadn't quite thought of the Getrag relationship in terms of where BMW is getting its nice DCT tranny, but yeah, I agree that a similar/same DCT would definitely have a strong appeal to the Mustang (and any other new cars based on its platform), especially in a more global sales environment.

This would also clearly establish Ford closer to the forefront of performance technology in a general market performance vehicle (rather than the more niche-oriented M3/M5) rather than soley relying on retro (tech) appeal to a smaller domestic market.

Not sure that a Ford-Getrag DCT would have the inevitable BMW tax, especially given that DCT's aren't bleeding edge anymore and that the basic engineering/testing has already been done on BMW's box. I wonder what proprietary rights BMW has on the Getrag DCT or whether that's basically Getrags to sell at will. I think a DCT, for maybe $1.5K over a regular manual, would make for a good AT replacement (do keep the manual as the base tranny though).
Old 10/4/11, 12:03 AM

Diet

Ford 9" out back w. opt 4.10 FR Ring/Pinion

No more push down and to the left Reverse on manual trans- thats crap

REAL Paddle Shifters/ SMG (Sequential manual gearbox)

PLEASE REMOVE THE GOD **** PROP ROD AND USE OEM HOOD STRUTS SO I DONT HAVE TO BUY THEM AFTERMARKET. MY **** TAURUS DOESNT HAVE A PROP ROD

Better Fit and Finish!!!! (I know its not made in Germany but step it up bc im starting not to care how many Fords sit in my driveway or how many people in my family work for you....i swear ill go over to the darkside )

Last edited by 03Termn8r; 10/4/11 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10/4/11, 09:48 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Termn8r
No more push down and to the left Reverse on manual trans- thats crap
Really...that's your beef?
Old 10/4/11, 08:18 PM
Cobra R Member

The only "plus" to the prop prod, is no finger prints on the hood upon closing... I for one am a stickler on smudges and prints. God help me when I have to close the trunk.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?