2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/13, 06:38 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd "settle" for an 8-speed auto transmission with paddle shifters. The new 8-speed auto that BMW is using is getting great reviews. Not only a superb 'box, but reduced fuel consumption and emissions, too.

There was a report a while back about Ford and GM working together on new gearboxes, with GM developing a 9-speed and Ford a 10-speed! I'm guessing neither of those will be available for the S550 launch, so if Ford are sticking with the 6-speed auto, I hope it has "proper" paddles as opposed to the SelectShift buttons.

Old 2/23/13, 06:40 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patio218
Cylinder deactivation, including manual transmission models would be nice. The C7 Corvette has it. Not sure it would be worth the cost or produce any significant fuel economy increase. Any thoughts?
Please NO thank you.

Not having this is something that really draws me to the Mustang. I actually hate that GM is doing this to the Corvette. Its benefits in real world driving are negligible. My G8 GT has it and I wish it didn't. I actually worry about what it might do the the engine in the long run as I plan on keeping it forever. I look at it this way. It adds unnecessary complexity with little to no benefit. Also if I am buying a V8 I want 8 cylinders not 4 firing all the time. A performance vehicle should not have compromises to that performance for the sake of minimal mileage gains. Want an aftermarket exhaust? Headers? Just wait until you hear it in 4 cylinder mode. You will change your mind. I also hope start/stop engine tech doesn't make it either.

I'm not against decent gas mileage. I think lowering weight, improving aerodynamics, and transmission tweaks can go farther towards mileage requirements more than shutting down cylinders. I hope the Coyote doesn't get this tech. I think direct injection would be more appropriate for mileage AND power as well.
Old 2/23/13, 08:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Free Agent
Please NO thank you.

Not having this is something that really draws me to the Mustang. I actually hate that GM is doing this to the Corvette. Its benefits in real world driving are negligible. My G8 GT has it and I wish it didn't. I actually worry about what it might do the the engine in the long run as I plan on keeping it forever. I look at it this way. It adds unnecessary complexity with little to no benefit. Also if I am buying a V8 I want 8 cylinders not 4 firing all the time. A performance vehicle should not have compromises to that performance for the sake of minimal mileage gains. Want an aftermarket exhaust? Headers? Just wait until you hear it in 4 cylinder mode. You will change your mind. I also hope start/stop engine tech doesn't make it either.

I'm not against decent gas mileage. I think lowering weight, improving aerodynamics, and transmission tweaks can go farther towards mileage requirements more than shutting down cylinders. I hope the Coyote doesn't get this tech. I think direct injection would be more appropriate for mileage AND power as well.
^^^^totally agree with you on that one. I don't think we'll be seeing that with the upcoming S550.

But who knows, i may be dead wrong . For sure i wouldn't want a 4banger idling throuh my Bassani mufflers, that just wouldn't sound right.

Maybe my Mopar background restoring 440 shaker hood 6 pack Cuda's and Hemi's doesn't help....

I'm just a purist, what can i tell ya'....
Old 2/23/13, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Do you know for a fact that it will sound bad? For all we know it could sound like a Subaru or golf,they have a pretty throaty exhaust.
Old 2/23/13, 01:11 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Free Agent
Please NO thank you.

Do you think you could post some soundclips of your G8 GT in four cyl mode? I agree with your points but I'm pretty curious as to how it sounds.
Old 2/23/13, 01:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by The_Munk
Do you know for a fact that it will sound bad? For all we know it could sound like a Subaru or golf,they have a pretty throaty exhaust.
Well Eric, that is exactly my point, i don't want it to sound like a STI or GTI.

It has to sound bad arce and be able to spin the rear wheels with ease.
Old 2/23/13, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
Do you think you could post some soundclips of your G8 GT in four cyl mode? I agree with your points but I'm pretty curious as to how it sounds.
I don't have any but it probably wouldn't sound up on the video anyway as the stock G8 GT mufflers must be the most restricted for sound mufflers in existence. But I can tell you I know exactly when it is in 4 cylinder mode as you can feel a faint vibration through the wheel and gas pedal. The exhaust does get a hair more "tractor-like" but from the cabin it is already so muted its hard to tell. You can try to do a youtube search but I've found that G8 GT owners claiming it is idling in 4 cylinder mode but by the sounds I believe all 8 are still firing.

With all that said, it doesn't spend much time in 4 cylinder mode. Usually only loafing along at extremely light throttle. It will engage at highway speed on level ground for as long as a minute or two at a time but then it will run on 8 cylinders for a while (I would guess as to not wear/cool the non-functional cylinders overmuch) But that is my whole point. If the engine operates in 4 cylinder mode only 5% of the time (and that may be pushing it) What is the point of even having it? And I do worry about the special lifters for those 4 cylinders having a higher opportunity for failure and how exactly will the other deactivated cylinder/piston parts function after I've owned the car for 5,6,7 or even 10 years.

A lot of G8 GT guys will tune it out or shut it off with a handheld tuner. But of course the parts are still there. And there have been documented failures of the AFM lifters on these engines as well. It just seems to be TOO much potential trouble for TOO little gain in mileage. I'm not a fan of it if you can't tell.

Last edited by Free Agent; 2/23/13 at 06:11 PM.
Old 2/23/13, 06:14 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds like a nightmare and pretty wasteful. Seems like its much more marketing than anything else. Doesn't Dodge also have a system like this?

Thanks for the info though, had no idea before. Really glad Ford doesn't have stuff like this
Old 2/23/13, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

That sounds like a nightmare and pretty wasteful. Seems like its much more marketing than anything else. Doesn't Dodge also have a system like this?

Thanks for the info though, had no idea before. Really glad Ford doesn't have stuff like this
I'm glad Ford doesn't either. And yes I believe its basically a marketing ploy. It might allow them to claim 1 mpg better on the city and highway but in the real world I really don't think it matters. Maybe if you drove like a grandma giving it less than 10% throttle around town and then only travelled on dead straight and flat interstates you'd see a slightly more significant gain, but what would be the point of that with a "performance" vehicle. I hope Ford ignores it and focuses more on direct injection, aerodynamics and weight reduction. A performance car shouldn't have to be compromised by fuel economy in my book.

And yes Dodge does it too even with their 6.4 liter 392 Hemi in the automatics. Haven't driven one of those to see how it behaves, but I'd guess it is similar. Their Ram trucks will even get stop/start "technology". This is even worse in my book. Why would I want my engine to shut off when I stop? And the fuel savings during idling at stoplights have to be even more minimal. At idle at a stop you might see fuel consumption rates of 0.60 gallons AN HOUR. So if someone spends 30 minutes at stoplights on their daily commute, it might save 0.3 gallons a day. Sure city people might like this but for the rest of us I would think its just a nuisance. It would be something I'd have tuned out if I was saddled with it. Again I'm not against fuel economy, but compromising performance vehicles for these marginal fuel saving "technologies" seems backwards. That's just me though.
Old 2/24/13, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Well Eric, that is exactly my point, i don't want it to sound like a STI or GTI.

It has to sound bad arce and be able to spin the rear wheels with ease.
Don't worry you'll still be able to do it
Old 2/24/13, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do the CAFE requirements apply to models offered across a brand or to the total number of cars sold by the brand?
Old 2/24/13, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Do the CAFE requirements apply to models offered across a brand or to the total number of cars sold by the brand?
If you sell more, more fuel efficient cars then that can offset the less fuel efficient ones.
Old 2/24/13, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I want power folding mirrors with integrated LED turn signals.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 2/24/13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2/24/13, 06:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I want power folding mirrors with integrated LED turn signals.
I think that may be one of the benefits of a global car. I know Japanese spec SN95 mustangs had folding mirrors, I think that's where the 2003-04 cobras got their mirrors.
Old 2/24/13, 06:37 PM
GT Member

Yes. My 2006 Charger R/T had "MDS" - aka Multiple Displacement System. Chargers came stock with a quite muted exhaust, MDS was part of the reason. Stock, it was nearly in-detectible when MDS activated. I did some minor exhaust changes with Magnaflow mufflers, and I could then hear the toggle from 8 to 4 cylinders. It didn't sound "smaller", but definitely worse, with more drone. Overall it wasn't pleasant. Certainly the more aggressive you did the exhaust, the more potential there was for it to sound like crap.

I didn't care, since I also ran with a Diablo Predator tune, defeating MDS entirely.

IMO it's real tricky if not impossible to have a good sounding exhaust enthusiasts would like, tuned for differing numbers of active cylinders. Maybe there's a method of using valves in the exhaust system to achieve the best of both, but that then adds cost and complexity; and would likely diminish the aftermarket availability.

I'm glad I don't have MDS any longer.
Old 2/24/13, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JoesCat
Yes. My 2006 Charger R/T had "MDS" - aka Multiple Displacement System. Chargers came stock with a quite muted exhaust, MDS was part of the reason. Stock, it was nearly in-detectible when MDS activated. I did some minor exhaust changes with Magnaflow mufflers, and I could then hear the toggle from 8 to 4 cylinders. It didn't sound "smaller", but definitely worse, with more drone. Overall it wasn't pleasant. Certainly the more aggressive you did the exhaust, the more potential there was for it to sound like crap.

I didn't care, since I also ran with a Diablo Predator tune, defeating MDS entirely.

IMO it's real tricky if not impossible to have a good sounding exhaust enthusiasts would like, tuned for differing numbers of active cylinders. Maybe there's a method of using valves in the exhaust system to achieve the best of both, but that then adds cost and complexity; and would likely diminish the aftermarket availability.

I'm glad I don't have MDS any longer.
I'm glad you posted. I read 2 key things. You tuned it off with a handheld tuner AND you're glad you don't have MDS any longer.

Sums it up nicely.
Old 2/24/13, 10:12 PM
V6 Member

Wow, I had no idea there was that much hate for cylinder deactiavation out there! Technology is not going away. From fuel injection, ABS and stability control the cars we love are going to be packed with more gadgets every year. I don' t see anyone refusing any of those tecnological advances for fear of malfunction. I also own a Pontiac G8 GT. My only complaint is the almost mute exhaust note. I'm willing to bet the C7 has a sweet exhaust note even with the new tech.
Old 2/25/13, 05:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Patio218
Wow, I had no idea there was that much hate for cylinder deactiavation out there! Technology is not going away. From fuel injection, ABS and stability control the cars we love are going to be packed with more gadgets every year. I don' t see anyone refusing any of those tecnological advances for fear of malfunction. I also own a Pontiac G8 GT. My only complaint is the almost mute exhaust note. I'm willing to bet the C7 has a sweet exhaust note even with the new tech.
I would be OK with it if it was designed to turn on at high way speed like an over drive switch. I have herd that the idle cylinders can have oil burn issues due to the inactive time when they are not pressurized and heated. Don't know if that it true or not but it makes sense in some way.
Old 2/25/13, 08:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More...

...Alcantara or micro-fiber suede...on the cloth Recaros and Steering wheel and for 2015, a suede headliner should be an option on the GT/GT350/GT500

Cadillac XTS W20 Livery pictured

Last edited by Topnotch; 2/25/13 at 08:10 AM.
Old 2/25/13, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
If you sell more, more fuel efficient cars then that can offset the less fuel efficient ones.
This may no longer be true. I might be wrong, but I think the new CAFE standards break up the model line by weight and have different targets for different weight classes. At least this was the plan when the legislation was being considered. I believe the new CAFE regs are much more complex than the old ones.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?