2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/11, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by 20115.0
cool idea ^ no pun intended lol
I was thinking that would be while it was parked of course. I guess it would have to be solar powered. It kill a battery real quick out in Ca or Ar. lol
Old 7/2/11, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flex Fuel capability would be great. Poor man's race gas!
Old 7/2/11, 08:14 PM
GT Member

Push button start please. Tired of the keys resting on your knees while driving.
Old 7/5/11, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Automagically
My wife complains about why people would even drive a 328 base model. I told her that she's spoiled by her 335i with every option box on the list checked. And it's true, the 335 in its most premium form along with Audi's S4, are very premium and they feel like it. Even the most premium Mustang, the GT500 still lacks the "premium" that these European brands bring to the table. Even the new Focus and Fiesta are coming out with better interior parts and options.
I agree with you 100%. Was recently at a car show (Super Car Sunday) when the theme of the event was Shelby's, Terminators, and generally Ford.

I saw at least 10 2010+ Shelby's there. Even though I knew this, I was still surprised that the interior of the doors (not sure what it's called, but like where the lock is by the window) were still mainly hard plastic. In my '02 Accord, there is some sort of soft material throughout the entire car. Really disappointed.

I get that the Mustang is the best bang for the buck in performance, but premium (actual premium, not just a packaged named Premium) packages should be available. For those that want to shell out big bucks to get it, why not?
Old 7/5/11, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Push button start should be standard as it is in most other upgraded models from ford. I wish the stereo and other controls changed colors with the interior ambient so I could get rid of the ugly green. This might not be popular with the performance guys but how about seats like the taurus SHO with the air cooled option and suede inserts.
Old 7/5/11, 03:24 PM

Probably the biggest thing I miss about my ols Grand Prix is that HUD. Holy cow.
Old 7/5/11, 08:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I would love air conditioned seats but I don't expect to see them in a Mustang.
Old 7/5/11, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would like real gauges instead of glorified idiot lights. It will never happen.
Old 7/6/11, 08:24 AM

COOLED SEATS PLEASE!!!!! Maybe neck coolers or heaters like in the benze convertibles!!
Old 7/6/11, 10:36 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid
Flex Fuel capability would be great. Poor man's race gas!
yeah, that would be cool

Originally Posted by chevys
I would like real gauges instead of glorified idiot lights. It will never happen.
Tru'dat, but I cant blame Ford --> "uh yeah, the gauge said 190 degrees, way to hot in my opinion, you guys gonna replace the car under warranty"?

Last edited by bob; 7/6/11 at 10:38 PM.
Old 7/7/11, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
yeah, that would be cool

Tru'dat, but I cant blame Ford --> "uh yeah, the gauge said 190 degrees, way to hot in my opinion, you guys gonna replace the car under warranty"?
It was the Gauge Not the CHECK ENGINE Light that dianose my bad Alternator. The Service light resulted in Ford plugging in to the Dianostic port and replaceing part based on what ever code the dipping Alternator created.

$600.00 dollars later the car was not fixed, the codes kept popping up and I used the gauges to figure it out on my own. THANK PRESIDENTS AWARD SHOP!.
KEEP THE GAUGES>
Old 7/7/11, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have beat this dead horse before but GM uses the real deal and I dont see people panicing. You can throw a styrofoam minnow bucket in the back of my GM truck and it runs 20 degrees hotter but its the nature of the beast. In fact, it has saved my butt a few times because I caught some problem before some idiot light went off.

Another rant of mine is all of these goofy symbols for lights, climate control ect.... Why not just label them for what they are so I dont have to try to read sign language? Someone once made the argument that everybody could not read English. Well, if you live in the USA and want to drive a car here learn to read it and speak it or get out!
Old 7/7/11, 09:27 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm all about the cooled seats...

... Most of us use the car in the hotter weather than those that use it in the colder climates.
Old 7/11/11, 01:13 PM

Hatchbacks are making a comeback

This headline from USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...chbacks_n.htm].

True? Not? 2015 Mustang?

I would certainly prefer the NextStang to be a hatchback as I see many positives but few if any significant negatives. Besides, from the Mustang II through the FoxStangs, there is a two decade heritage of Stang hatchbacks.
Old 7/11/11, 05:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'd say the major obstacle for a Mustang hatch going forward is weight.
Old 7/11/11, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Current mustang met all my expectations with features but I would like to see how an Ecoboost 5.0 would do. IRS is just not a necessity in my view. Maybe on a Cobra or gt500 but not a GT. Would be cool to see two engine options for the GT. Like a 302 as the entry level and a 351 as an upgrade. Just a thought.
Old 7/13/11, 01:56 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
I have beat this dead horse before but GM uses the real deal and I dont see people panicing. You can throw a styrofoam minnow bucket in the back of my GM truck and it runs 20 degrees hotter but its the nature of the beast. In fact, it has saved my butt a few times because I caught some problem before some idiot light went off.

Another rant of mine is all of these goofy symbols for lights, climate control ect.... Why not just label them for what they are so I dont have to try to read sign language? Someone once made the argument that everybody could not read English. Well, if you live in the USA and want to drive a car here learn to read it and speak it or get out!
Originally Posted by Brewman
It was the Gauge Not the CHECK ENGINE Light that dianose my bad Alternator. The Service light resulted in Ford plugging in to the Dianostic port and replaceing part based on what ever code the dipping Alternator created.

$600.00 dollars later the car was not fixed, the codes kept popping up and I used the gauges to figure it out on my own. THANK PRESIDENTS AWARD SHOP!.
KEEP THE GAUGES>
I get what you guys are saying and I'll also say that your vehicle enthusiasts with a little more knowledge than the majority population, but as a guy who works at a retailer known for thier somewhat liberal return policy on all thier merchandise because its good for business. I can see why Ford uses dummy gauges.

Having messed with tires for a good long while, I've been party to what Ford is trying to avoid, here's some examples;

Apparently, tires covered in tar from a road repair are in fact defective and melting.

A tire worn so drastically it has a visibly larger inside and smaller outside radius - not an alignment problem, its a defect in the tire.

Rear tires on high performance vehicles mysteriously wearing out - again, its a defect problem.

Tires that the owner checked six months ago during that summer vacation trip, suddenly going flat on the coldest day of the year - must be a defect.

Tires making a humming noise, lift the vehicle in the air, put it in gear and the noise continues with the tires spinning freely in the air - again a tire defect problem.

Rotating tires on a FWD car every 10 or 15k and the fronts wearing out faster than the rear tires, its a defect problem.

Catastrophic failure of a tire at high speed with a big piece of metal clearly penetrating the tread area - clearly a defect problem.

Tires wearing out in the middle, not because the owner inflated the tires to the max pressure branded on the sidewall, nope, its a defect problem.

Owner of a high performance car takes a ride down a road made with crush and run gravel and the tread area is missing chunks and is cut up - yep, thats a defect as well.

Owner of a vehicle takes a car fitted with summer tires out on a day that is way below freezing and the tires crack in the tread and sidewall area, you guessed it, defect problem.

Guy with an 09 GT500 and a gen 2 clutch starts having problems with said gen 2 clutch. Swears up and down its the TSB issue only to find out that you actually have to fully depress the clutch pedal fully like the manual says - could'a swore it was a design defect

Anyways, I agree, it would be great to have gauges that factually report the running condition of the vehicle, but if it doesn't show up in a future Mustang, I can certainly understand why.

Last edited by bob; 7/13/11 at 01:57 AM.
Old 7/13/11, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by rhumb
Hatchbacks are making a comeback

This headline from USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...chbacks_n.htm].

True? Not? 2015 Mustang?

I would certainly prefer the NextStang to be a hatchback as I see many positives but few if any significant negatives. Besides, from the Mustang II through the FoxStangs, there is a two decade heritage of Stang hatchbacks.
Ford Amazed That Americans Like Hatchbacks? Really?

http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...hbacks-really/

Maybe the problem is that Americans hadn't been offered truly decent and compelling small hatchbacks, because American manufacturers didn't think Americans wanted hatchbacks, because Americans hadn't been offered... you see where this circular reasoning is going. This, despite the fact, as mentioned in the article, that pretty much all those SUVs and Crossovers Americans lap up gluttonously are basically, get ready for it, hatchbacks.

Then the Stang? Hatchback?

Concerns:

Weight and Rigidity: A hatchback will necessarily make it heavier and wobblier. Not necessarily.
My old '94 Probe GT hatchback was both lighter and stiffer than its betrunked platform mate, the Mazda MX-6. And just as fast if not faster.

Price: A hatchback Mustang will be exorbitantly more expensive than a trunked Stang.
My Probe GT was also cheaper than the Mazda MX-6, though the MX-6 was outfitted a bit more luxuriously in trim and appointments. Then there's the long Foxstang experience where the nominally higher pricing of the hatchback versions certainly did nothing to dent their popularity or sales.

Styling: A hatchback will look like some cheap Japanese econobox.
May I point to Exhibit One above again. My ol' Probe was every bit a sleek and sporty as the MX-6 and certainly more slicked down that the contemporary or even current Mustang. So no, a hatchback won't make a Stang look like a Civic's long lost cousin.

Performance: A hatchback will make the Mustang slower.
Please see Weight above.

Market Acceptance: Mustang buyers won't want a hatchback. Based upon what market analysis or reasoning?
The Mustang II and Foxstang hatchbacks sold very well for years, decades even. And as that Focus/Fiesta hatchback article indicates, perhaps that received wisdom that Americans simply won't buy hatchbacks is simply wrong.

So if the assumed negatives are essentially null and void, what about the positives for a hatchback Mustang.

Positives:

Utility: A hatchback would return a significantly higher level of utility and practicality to the Mustang.
This might not mean as much to single or multi-car owners, but to family folks and/or single-car owners (who like to, say, camp), that can be a significant factor tipping one towards a Mustang rather than settling for some lesser performance but more practical ride. My sleek, low little Probe could practically swallow a piano with the back seats folded down. It definitely could swallow a weekend triathlon's worth of gear for my (now) wife and I, two bicycles included, all inside with a bit of room to spare.

Broader Market Appeal: A hatchback will expand the Mustang's market appeal and buyer base.
With Ford's aggressively more global approach, which presumably will include the Mustang too, many overseas buyers strongly prefer the utility and practicality of a hatchback. This is true, too, of many import car buyers here in the U.S. Offering the Stang as a hatchback would only broaden the Stang's appeal and thus, sales. 2015 Mustang sales slogan: "Having you cake and eating it too. The 2015 Mustang, combining power and practicality."

Market Differentiation: The Stang's two biggest rivals, the Camaro and Challenger, are both trunk-only cars.
By offering the Mustang as a hatchback would increase its market distinctiveness against these competitors.

Summary:

Given all of the above, I think it would be foolish for Ford not to offer the NextStang in hatchback form.

Last edited by rhumb; 7/13/11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 7/13/11, 11:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 7/14/11, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Real Bight in the a$$ is I went back to the Dealership and told them what I had found and the stood there and said, Well if the computer said the parts were bad then they must be bad. this is after the computer TOLD them my Fuel Pump was bad, but that code went away and never came back after I changed out the alternator. I do not know to what degree the gauges on the SN95s where "REAL GAUGES" but the certainly helped. And I was not offered so much as an apology for inconvenience. That was the first and Last time I used the dealer after the warranty had expired. After that I went back to my old machanic who is great but I need to take a day off to see him.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?