2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/11, 08:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just checked out my friend's 2011 Ford Edge Sport. OMG! MyFordTouch is pure badass. It made my GT feel so inferior. Definitely a must have.

Last edited by Adam; 1/21/11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 1/21/11, 09:39 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/21/t...alk/#continued

There's hope for those who want the tilt/telescope control for the new design.
Old 1/21/11, 01:23 PM

yeah the mytouch is definatly somthin that puts ford above the rest. i also liked that little cubby behind the console. the mytouch is so easy to use too.
Old 1/21/11, 01:24 PM

trans to shift faster than the sho when it get paddle shifters
Old 1/21/11, 01:26 PM

my bad for reposting. didnt know this issue has already been discussed
Old 1/21/11, 07:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ace22
trans to shift faster than the sho when it get paddle shifters
Originally Posted by ace22
my bad for reposting. didnt know this issue has already been discussed
No worries, that's a big one. If there's one improvement that would really take the Mustang up a notch this is it. Ford are you listening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vQ0Q0_9VE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCWkQ...eature=related

Yes please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7dE_3MwHTk

Wishful thinking, I know...

Last edited by Adam; 1/21/11 at 08:27 PM.
Old 1/23/11, 09:06 AM

maby since they are messing with the dual pcm they can maby put a sport mode in or sport key like on the boss that gives you firm crisps shifts when activated. Then when your finished beating up on those camaros you can go back to smooth sho shifting style
Old 1/26/11, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Please dont make irs standard on the gt. 90 % of the mustangs see quarter mile duty not road race duty. Having to spend 1500 dollars for stronger axles plus wheel hop issues arent worth it.
Old 1/26/11, 11:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by uncle phil
Please dont make irs standard on the gt. 90 % of the mustangs see quarter mile duty not road race duty. Having to spend 1500 dollars for stronger axles plus wheel hop issues arent worth it.
IRS technology has come a long way, if the Next Mustang features IRS it will be rock solid.
Old 1/26/11, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would say 98% of mustangs dont see either, most are peoples daily drivers or weekend cruising toys, a well tuned IRS would only enhance the cars ability for those customers in everyday handling and ride comfort. considering what the engineers have managed with the SRA i am excited at the magic they will be able to work with an IRS. my guess is they are well aware of the problems with the 03 cobra and would build an application stout enough to handle reasonable drag racing. (those of you with 700+hp might have to downgrade? to the SRA.
Old 1/26/11, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
From what little knowledge I have about the people on this site is that they are more of the road going society so a better advantage in the turns would be a welcome addition. Not saying it's bad now but if it is even better then heck yes.
Old 1/26/11, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Going straight is not really all that hard, in comparison to a good mix between turns and straights. If all I wanted to do is go straight, then just forget about handling and put the biggest fastest engine humanly possible. Maybe I should just get a Blown Camaro running 700+hp. It would not need to handle turns at all.

I like the quarter mile, but a real car does not just launch itself forward. I know that Muscle cars were famous for that, but the Mustang is now taking turns better than ever before with more power than ever before. I would rather have a 10 second car that can take the twisties as well as any other car on the road, than an 8 second car that can go straight forward really well. A 3000-3300 pound Mustang with a v8 with between 420hp naturally aspirated or 600hp with a supercharger would command far more respect on more types of tracks than a 800hp Camaro.
Old 1/27/11, 03:31 PM

99% of Mustangs see purely road duty, not track or strip, which would argue for the broader capabilities of an IRS.

IRS axles, just as with live axle axles, can be built sufficiently strong for any strip duty and wheel hop is not an inherent trait of IRS systems any more than live axle systems, each being properly designed.
Old 1/28/11, 01:52 PM

I like both so i think they should offer both. having said that if ford goes irs i think it will be able to match the durability of the current sra and theres always the aftermarket for those that need to launch at 5grand with m/t's. Also when di is used please eliminate the starter.
Old 1/31/11, 09:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The problem with offering SRA and IRS is that you'll get a boned system either way plus the added cost of having to make the back half the car SRA and IRS compliant.

I'm a fan of the SRA, I like it for is ruggedness and simplicity - Ford has proven that they can work wonders with an SRA, but if Ford is serious about an IRS then they need to commit fully to having an IRS. GM has proven that you can build an IRS that puts the power down just as good as an SRA. Now if only Ford can figure out a way to make an IRS that requires an alignment with the same frequency as an SRA and total weight of the IRS with attatching subframe that is equal to or lighter than the current SRA and I'll call it win/win.
Old 2/5/11, 11:34 PM
V6 Member

As long as it handles, SRA or IRS is fine with me.
Old 2/6/11, 05:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It would either way, but IRS has more or less become "de rigueur" , improved ride (not to be confused with handling) not withstanding, on a smaller Mustang, an IRS might offer some advantage in interior volume (although this doesn't seem to be the case with the Camaro, but that might be more to it slavishly following the show car) since an IRS requires less space to operate in.

I cant wait to see some leaked stuff or more solid info on the dimensions and styling direction.
Old 2/11/11, 10:10 PM
V6 Member

Make standard lower stance where car squats less and by the way doesn't make it look like 4x4. My wife's Honda minivan has less wheel gap, Not exaggerating.
Old 2/12/11, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mchief_k2
Make standard lower stance where car squats less and by the way doesn't make it look like 4x4. My wife's Honda minivan has less wheel gap, Not exaggerating.
Agreed. My 370Z sat pretty high for a sports car but the Mustang sits even higher. I'd love to see Ford get it down to around 1.5 of wheel gap stock instead of 3+...
Old 2/12/11, 02:43 PM
V6 Member

Here are some things that I expect to see in the next-gen mustang...

Design--definitely modern but with mustang heritage cues. I'am thinking that its going to look very Aston Martin-ish but with a mustang spin.

Size--Simply put very similar to the size of the 99' mustang in terms of H+L+W but with superior interior packaging.

Suspension--definitely modern with a control blade irs for superior handling/ride control while also aiding with the cars packaging. I'am thinking maybe a multi-link front like an sla suspension for improved handling dynamics.

Weight--realistically I'am thinking their going to shave somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 lbs. With modern materials such as boron steel, aluminum, and lightweight glass such as Cornings Gorilla Glass...its definitely feasible.

Engines--base model--4 cylinder Eco-boost
mid--3.7DI
GT--5.0DI
COBRA--5.0 Eco-boost

Tranny--I think its a given that it'll use the 6 speed DCT transmission...thats where everything is going and trust me it'll be ready for mustang duty

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?