2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/10, 06:56 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
THey should bring back the highbeam foot switch in the footwell
Ahh yes, that 'click-thunk, click-thunk' sound.
Old 11/9/10, 12:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Carbs. You're not a manly man until you drive a Carbureted engine, a 7-Liter mill making an awesome 250 hp and 11mpg. And don't get me started on this mamby-pamby "electrical ignition" dealies.
Old 11/10/10, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Carbs. You're not a manly man until you drive a Carbureted engine, a 7-Liter mill making an awesome 250 hp and 11mpg. And don't get me started on this mamby-pamby "electrical ignition" dealies.
YAH, and what about a hand crank on the front bumper.
Old 11/10/10, 05:20 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Perhaps for drag racing, which really focuses on a very narrow aspect of a car's overall performance envelope, a manual stick and clutch might make some sense, but in reality, I think DCTs are the future and not a bad one at that. I can see DCT's, as they get more refined, replacing both manuals and slushbox autos with one superior gearbox, saving and concentrating a lot of development time, energy and resources for the manufacturers. Traditional manuals may hang on for a while as legacy options on some performance cars, but over time, I see already increasingly rare stick shifts being very hard to justify from a business case standpoint.
Actually a DCT makes for a killer drag racing setup, all the DCT equipped cars I've read about have proven to be faster through the quarter mile than the standard MT cars. Honestly from a pure numbers standpoint a DCT cannot be beat in any form of racing. Also I suspect they do wonders for MT related warranty issues.

That said, beyond the spectrum of racing for a living or placating the inner alpha male, I dont see them as terribly satisfying. Especially when somebody is thumping their chest in the realm of recreational drag racing. And to be honest, ANYBODY can get into a car with a DCT (even more so that with an AT trans since alot of DCT's seem to have a launch mode) mash the gas and hit the brakes at the big end of the track and click off a good time - absolutely no skill required.

All of this stuff (DCTs, AWD with torque vectoring, active suspensions, ect) is pretty neat, but I really have little respect for the cars that employ it (the GT-R being the poster child for such things), such cars dont really celebrate the joy of driving, they only further isolate the driver from the driving experinece.

Frankly its why I'd rather pay whatever ridiculous ADM exists on a 911 GT2 RS (had I the money) than be given a Nissan GT-R.
Old 11/10/10, 05:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Actually a DCT makes for a killer drag racing setup, all the DCT equipped cars I've read about have proven to be faster through the quarter mile than the standard MT cars. Honestly from a pure numbers standpoint a DCT cannot be beat in any form of racing. Also I suspect they do wonders for MT related warranty issues.

That said, beyond the spectrum of racing for a living or placating the inner alpha male, I dont see them as terribly satisfying. Especially when somebody is thumping their chest in the realm of recreational drag racing. And to be honest, ANYBODY can get into a car with a DCT (even more so that with an AT trans since alot of DCT's seem to have a launch mode) mash the gas and hit the brakes at the big end of the track and click off a good time - absolutely no skill required.

All of this stuff (DCTs, AWD with torque vectoring, active suspensions, ect) is pretty neat, but I really have little respect for the cars that employ it (the GT-R being the poster child for such things), such cars dont really celebrate the joy of driving, they only further isolate the driver from the driving experinece.

Frankly its why I'd rather pay whatever ridiculous ADM exists on a 911 GT2 RS (had I the money) than be given a Nissan GT-R.
I'm with you. Especially noting the GT-R, that's not a car you drive, you get in and it drives you! I mean, wasn't the reason that cars like the Viper, GT and GT500's came with manuals to inspire a feeling that exists in the spirit of the automobile?
I respect that most race cars now use electronic shifting, cars are just that intense now but as much as I hate NASCAR, I love the gigantic floor mounted Hurst style shifter.
And yes, I can't say anything negative about the paper aspect of a DCT. I can say that I would forever miss fluttering my clutch, double clutching and so on. I can't just put a DCT into neutral and coast whenever I please. Plus manuals are cranky sometimes, they have to be caressed or beaten on when they act up. It's like personality trait. DCT is just straight laced, does nothing different and does it perfectly. No character, just a machine.
Old 11/10/10, 09:41 PM
Cobra R Member

I think DCT can be just as fun/enjoyable as a MT. Getting those perfect and instantaneous downshifts everytime, ableit mechanically, are sweet. I'll be in shock if Ford goes DCT in the Mustang. Heck, the Corvette doesn't even have a DCT option. I have a feeling 2014 will yield the same A6 but with paddles (either standard or optional). I'm OK with that if they can produce something similar to BMW's iDrive, or the 7-speed in the 370Z. After all, Ford believes the 370Z is a direct competitor of the Mustang. For an automatic transmission, they're both very good. But this means the shifts need to be firmed up a bit and the paddles need to be QUICK. Any unnecessary lag will kill it for me. I'm not expecting Porsche or M3 level shifts, but I don't want whatever the Taurus has - it sucks. Can they do this using the same A6 platform? I don't know.

Last edited by Adam; 11/10/10 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11/11/10, 10:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam
I think DCT can be just as fun/enjoyable as a MT. Getting those perfect and instantaneous downshifts everytime, ableit mechanically, are sweet. I'll be in shock if Ford goes DCT in the Mustang. Heck, the Corvette doesn't even have a DCT option. I have a feeling 2014 will yield the same A6 but with paddles (either standard or optional). I'm OK with that if they can produce something similar to BMW's iDrive, or the 7-speed in the 370Z. After all, Ford believes the 370Z is a direct competitor of the Mustang. For an automatic transmission, they're both very good. But this means the shifts need to be firmed up a bit and the paddles need to be QUICK. Any unnecessary lag will kill it for me. I'm not expecting Porsche or M3 level shifts, but I don't want whatever the Taurus has - it sucks. Can they do this using the same A6 platform? I don't know.
I think at the very least Ford can add paddle shifters with a firmer shifting auto. Our 335 is an auto and I really like how quickly it shifts with the paddles in sports mode. For what it is I really like it. Do I love it? No, not like my manual, but I respect it none the less. I think Ford could easily integrate this system. All I ask is that they get the paddles right. BMW had to correct it, after 2008, I hate that I push in to down shift and pull back to up shift. The stick is correct, + is towards me - is away. For paddles, see the following: Left paddle is down shift, Right paddle is up shift, this is simple.
Old 11/11/10, 12:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks
You know,, back in the day my parents had a Plymouth Sundance rental as a loaner car. That car had a foot pedal with a release handle for the emergency brake. I quickly determined that a magic marker was just the right size to wedge behind the release handle so the brake wouldn't stay on. Instant hands-free e-braking, with the bonus that my passengers didn't see it coming...

Just sayin'....
I owned one a turbo at that. I used a small pair of vice grips on that ebrake release deal. Good times for sure.
Old 11/11/10, 12:28 PM
GT Member

give me 4 wheels/tires that are smokin hot, regular headlights (none of those hi-beams you guys call HID), a clutch, brake and a gas pedal with a ball shifter, give me a car that will wake up the neighbors and scare the heck out of everything within a 100 yard radius when I get on it.
Old 11/11/10, 08:48 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam
A true sport mode with much quicker and firmer shifting action would be a welcome addition, my folks have 07 A5 GT and I was instantly reminded why I really do like an MT equipped car when I borrowed it a few days ago.
Old 11/17/10, 06:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Usable Faux Gas Cap!
Old 11/17/10, 08:54 PM
MOTM Committee Member

^^^

I like that!
Old 11/18/10, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
Usable Faux Gas Cap!
My VW has the same thing.
Old 12/7/10, 05:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm sure its been mentioned but hood struts no prop rod and when you pop the trunk it should open all the way automatically!
Old 12/8/10, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I'm sure its been mentioned but hood struts no prop rod and when you pop the trunk it should open all the way automatically!
i dont know about that, serveral times I have opened my truck and am glad it doesnt open by itself. Theres a cabinet on the back wall of my garage and if it opened all the way it'd hit the bottom.
Old 12/9/10, 12:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

but how many times have you had your hands full and had to set stuff down to open the trunk??
Old 12/9/10, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

lol a few, itd be a nice feature. maybe if they had it so that if you pushed the interior button twice and hold it down or on the remote push it twice and hold it. that way if you do want to just unlatch it it doesnt have to come all the way up.
Old 12/10/10, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
lol a few, itd be a nice feature. maybe if they had it so that if you pushed the interior button twice and hold it down or on the remote push it twice and hold it. that way if you do want to just unlatch it it doesnt have to come all the way up.

The Truck lid on the V-dub goes up by it self when you push the unlatch button on the key. but it is a gas hinge kinda thing. In cold weather it does not work like that.
Old 12/29/10, 08:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Not an improvement per se...

...but would add to the 'COOL' factor...

A carpeted trunk area in the design pattern of the 641/2...

Last edited by Topnotch; 12/29/10 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Title
Old 12/29/10, 12:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Y'know, I'm surprised no-one's already created a trunk mat with that pattern for the S197. Mind you, it's a little, erm........bold. I 'll stick with my running pony trunk mat

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?