2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/10, 09:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by edumspeed
And don't forget the gargantuan sized 71-73 Mustang.
That shrimp, for sheer size, the S-197 is the champ!

Anyways, giving it some thought (yes I love the simple ruggedness of the current car's suspension - IMO SLA/IRS would just ruin a good thing). I'd say better seats. I like the current seats in my car, but I hate the adjustment for rake, if it had about twice as many detents, I'd be alot happier.
Old 8/11/10, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
That shrimp, for sheer size, the S-197 is the champ!

Anyways, giving it some thought (yes I love the simple ruggedness of the current car's suspension - IMO SLA/IRS would just ruin a good thing). I'd say better seats. I like the current seats in my car, but I hate the adjustment for rake, if it had about twice as many detents, I'd be alot happier.
Amazingly, somewhat true. I always looked upon the '71-'73 as the great white whale of Mustangs, the acme/nadir of girth. However, the current S197 is sadly close to that previous whales corpulence, but for being a bit taller yet for that panel van effect.

I'll reiterate my hope for a '65 size box rule, but for an inch or two in width to accommodate the inch or two in width of the typical American in those intervening years. Same goes for flab, I'll trade the added mass mandated by by safety rules for the added efficiency of modern engineering and materials -- a draw. The 2010 Vette is no heavier than its 45 year predecessor, and at the same relative price point, so it can be done with a bit of engineering and managerial rigor.
Old 8/12/10, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
So the Mustang can never be downsized because some people don't like the Mustang II? It can only get bigger and more bloated?

So we can never have a 65-66 sized Mustang again (which is also about the size of the Fox-based Mustang) because it might remind some people of the Mustang II?

Okay then, the next Mustang should be a coupe on a stretched and widened Taurus platform with a top that's 6 inches high so it'll beat the Camaro for the worst outward visibility award . Oh and make sure it weighs 4500lbs. There! That won't remind anyone of a Mustang II!
OH, Please! The II had more problems then just size. It was dinky and HEAVY As HECK!
That Little car weighted 4000 Lbs.
I think the SN95s were a great size. Love My 2002. All I am saying is careful what you wish for.
Old 8/12/10, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Brewman
OH, Please! The II had more problems then just size. It was dinky and HEAVY As HECK!
That Little car weighted 4000 Lbs.
I think the SN95s were a great size. Love My 2002. All I am saying is careful what you wish for.
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...77-mustang-ii/
1977 Mustang II Specifications:
Dimensions
Curb weight – 4 cyl coupe -- 2,660 lb

Curb weight -4 cyl hatchback --2,807 lb
Length -- 175″
Height -- 49.6″
Wheelbase -- 96.2″

This is what I wish for, and hope that Ford could take some inspiration from when designing the next gen:
SN65 Mustang

Last edited by Vermillion06; 8/12/10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 8/12/10, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's very NICE! And I do love resto-mods. Best of both worlds.

I understand what you are saying about size. Everytime they say they are extending the wheel base I get nervouse. The last thing I want to see is another 71-73 Aircraft carrier I just don't want to go from one extreme to the other. I can fit Me my wife, my 2 year old doughter and enogh stuff for a day trip in my 02. But it still isn't huge.
Old 8/12/10, 04:05 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my short list of things that would take this car to another level:

1 - Adjustable steering control for the EPAS. Allow the driver to customize feedback and dial in between certain settings.

2 - MyFordTouch and/or productivity screen style info with performance data and control. This could tie into #1 in the IP.

3 - HIDs made standard on GT Premium trim.

4 - Some sort of memory or quick power movement for driver/pass seat when trying to put people in the back. The last gen GTO's had this, where you can move the motor quickly to get people in and out of the back without waiting forever. When back in seating position, move itself back where it was.

5 - Launch control and no-lift shifting for manual transmission equipped vehicles. GM is doing this on the Corvette and Camaro. Ford could easily offer this with a performance package for the GT and roll it into #2 as well. A simple set of calibrations could control this, as some aftermarket tuners for other vehicles do this as well.
Old 8/13/10, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

That's very NICE! And I do love resto-mods. Best of both worlds.

I understand what you are saying about size. Everytime they say they are extending the wheel base I get nervouse. The last thing I want to see is another 71-73 Aircraft carrier I just don't want to go from one extreme to the other. I can fit Me my wife, my 2 year old doughter and enogh stuff for a day trip in my 02. But it still isn't huge.
Yeah, I do like the interior size of the '06 Mustang; my wife and two kids love taking the Mustang on day trips as well. We used to do the same in my '98 Mustang, but they didn't like it as much because of the Flowmasters.

I hope Ford will do something the size of that yellow SN65 Mustang (it doesnt necessarily have to be an exact replica of a '65 but it does have to good looking), and did you notice the drivetrain and chassis ? It's literally a Terminator Cobra in '65 clothing.
Old 8/14/10, 06:56 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
5 - Launch control and no-lift shifting for manual transmission equipped vehicles. GM is doing this on the Corvette and Camaro. Ford could easily offer this with a performance package for the GT and roll it into #2 as well. A simple set of calibrations could control this, as some aftermarket tuners for other vehicles do this as well.
And rev matching like the 370Z would be nice (admittedly I do need to learn heel to toe)

And Rhumb, from what I understand the next gen car is going through a weight reduction program, although I'm not sure if reduced dimensions are part of the deal.
Old 8/14/10, 09:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I just don't like the design of the taillights on the 10+

Also I wish that they would offer cloth seats as in option in the premium models. I hate leather and would like to have some of the luxuries of the premium package with cloth seats.

Last edited by ford20; 8/14/10 at 09:29 PM.
Old 8/15/10, 05:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...77-mustang-ii/
1977 Mustang II Specifications:
Dimensions
Curb weight – 4 cyl coupe -- 2,660 lb

Curb weight -4 cyl hatchback --2,807 lb
Length -- 175″
Height -- 49.6″
Wheelbase -- 96.2″

This is what I wish for, and hope that Ford could take some inspiration from when designing the next gen:
SN65 Mustang

Hey Vermillion
I just had a chance to really look at the SN65 sight. That is amazing. If Money were no object I would have that done in a heartbeat.
Old 8/15/10, 09:40 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Hey Vermillion
I just had a chance to really look at the SN65 sight. That is amazing. If Money were no object I would have that done in a heartbeat.
WOW- glad I read your post, I'd thought the pics were just a beautiful 65 fastback...thats one beautifully executed/MASSIVE project right there!
Old 8/17/10, 11:22 AM
Cobra R Member

I tried to summarize the input from this thread. I roughly ordered them from most important to least important based on the number of people that suggested the same improvements.

Standard Improvements (Across all models)
- Reduced curb weight, or at least maintain current weight (do NOT get fatter!)
- True keyless entry (proximity based)
- Push button start
- Improved AM/FM & Sirius antenna aesthetics (shaved, paint matched, integrated into window, etc)
- Wider tires with standard wheels
- Paddle shifters for automatics (optional or standard)
- Hood struts
- Direct Injected engines (both V6 and GT)
- Height adjustable seat belts
- IRS if it can match current live axle performance
- All-in-one customizable driving modes (steering, shocks, stability, throttle response, etc). Have predefined modes (Sport, Cruising, etc) but also allow the driver to create their own custom modes
- More features standard with the Premium model. Brembo brakes, HIDs, etc.
- Rear seat quick access button - slides seat forward
- Higher quality door panel material. Hard plastic feels cheap.

Optional features or Standard with Premium model
- Memory seats
- Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
- Recaro / Sports seats optional
- Improved Shaker 500 / Shaker 1000 audio
- Telescoping steering wheel
- Adjustable pedals
- MyFord Touch
- Internet access through the Navigation system
- Cold weather package - Heated mirrors, heated seats, etc
- HID fog lights
- HUD (Heads up Display)
- Rev-match feature similar to 370Z

Last edited by Adam; 8/17/10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 9/23/10, 04:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Did I already mention I want MyFord Touch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLdMi_r7-Q
Old 9/23/10, 06:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
sun visors that extend!
Paddle shifters<--- I said the for the last gen also lol.
Old 9/29/10, 10:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.insideline.com/jaguar/a-d...he-future.html
Old 9/29/10, 12:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Cloth seats in the premium models like you could get with the 05-09 S197s
Old 9/30/10, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

All wheel drive
Old 10/2/10, 07:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
All wheel drive
Now that should help with traction, especially on snowy season. But I think not too many would like that. After all, it will make the car heavier and more expensive. And more stuff to break after some good power mods. Cough, Skyline cough cough.
Old 10/2/10, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

tell me it wouldn't be interesting! I was only half serious just don't know which half. lol
Old 10/8/10, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
tell me it wouldn't be interesting! I was only half serious just don't know which half. lol

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?