2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/10, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewman

I Remeber hearing ( I think it was Bill Ford but I could be wrong) someone at ford saying " We have learned that we can not SLAP Mustang on anything , drop a big motor in it and expect it to sell. We needed to get back to making MUSTANGs and then we can move the car forward. " I am Para phraseing the Heck out of it but that was the jist.

They needed to reastablish the Mustanf DNA so it could evolve into a Modern version of it self.

In Short I agree, smoother lines with classic Stang style cues maybe even a more agrsive stance would be great. I must say as I predicted in past threads the 2010 is really growing on me. Didn't really like at first.

as far as HO V6s, HECK YAH. 325 to 350 HP and 30+ MPG that is just awsome.
In their time the Buick Grand Nationals Ruled So if Mustang can take that notch as well as the V8 market GO FOR IT.
As I was writing that post, I was thinking of the Grand National as well. A V6 that commanded everybody's attention.
Old 7/16/10, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Leather or vinyl door panels would be nice.
Old 7/16/10, 07:32 PM

All I ask is they make it lighter and also continue to make the Shelby GT500.
Old 7/17/10, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's really simple and I have said this many times already:

1. Make it slightly smaller and lighter (100-200 lbs)
2. Give it an IRS (or at least an option for it)
3. Continue with the upgraded interior (none of the retro stuff with the speedo and tach so far apart and a steering wheel that would be better suited on a Hyundai. Give it a proper performance steering wheel with thumb indents, smaller diameter and thick nice feeling rim...see BMW M3 wheel)
4. Of course evolve the power with 20-30 more hp too.
5. And for those who want an auto, for God's sake give it an auto with up to date technology (paddle shifters, slap stick shifter on the floor, and a sport mode button that holds the revs longer, rev matching downshifts, and faster shift times, you know like you can get on pretty much any other performance car made TODAY). Dual Clutch Tranny would be alright but don't know if it fits the persona of a Mustang and they don't do well with high power drag racing. So a nice strong ZF 8 speed auto with the options I listed would probably be best for auto guys.

That's really it.

Much of the "extras" some of you guys have listed are more in tune for a luxury performance car.
If you want that, get a BMW or Mercedes. Don't dilute the Mustang with all kinds of weight gaining options that take it out of the pony/performance class and more into the luxury performance segment, that's NOT what a Mustang is all about. But a Taurus SHO if that's what you want from Ford.
Old 7/17/10, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Driver72
It's really simple and I have said this many times already:

1. Make it slightly smaller and lighter (100-200 lbs)
2. Give it an IRS (or at least an option for it)
3. Continue with the upgraded interior (none of the retro stuff with the speedo and tach so far apart and a steering wheel that would be better suited on a Hyundai. Give it a proper performance steering wheel with thumb indents, smaller diameter and thick nice feeling rim...see BMW M3 wheel)
4. Of course evolve the power with 20-30 more hp too.
5. And for those who want an auto, for God's sake give it an auto with up to date technology (paddle shifters, slap stick shifter on the floor, and a sport mode button that holds the revs longer, rev matching downshifts, and faster shift times, you know like you can get on pretty much any other performance car made TODAY). Dual Clutch Tranny would be alright but don't know if it fits the persona of a Mustang and they don't do well with high power drag racing. So a nice strong ZF 8 speed auto with the options I listed would probably be best for auto guys.

That's really it.

Much of the "extras" some of you guys have listed are more in tune for a luxury performance car.
If you want that, get a BMW or Mercedes. Don't dilute the Mustang with all kinds of weight gaining options that take it out of the pony/performance class and more into the luxury performance segment, that's NOT what a Mustang is all about. But a Taurus SHO if that's what you want from Ford.
I agree.Especially the dash. I hated American dash boards all my life till they started copying the Europeans and then they start making sporty cars and again with throw back dash What were they thinking. The dash on the Camaro is even worse and I had a 67 in 1970 didn't like it then hate the new one now.
Old 7/17/10, 12:40 PM

I hated the square ugly dash of the current Mustang since I saw it for the first time. The problem is the old men writing for the car magazines and buys Mustangs like it so it did not get the bashing it deserves. Retro exterior is nice but old fashion interior must go.
Old 7/17/10, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

You call this square?! You need a new pair of eyes man.
Old 7/17/10, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SCARIER
I hated the square ugly dash of the current Mustang since I saw it for the first time. The problem is the old men writing for the car magazines and buys Mustangs like it so it did not get the bashing it deserves. Retro exterior is nice but old fashion interior must go.
The retro interior fits the theme of the car, and I am a big fan of it. Both on the 05-09 and the current 10-11.
Old 7/18/10, 01:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
The retro interior fits the theme of the car, and I am a big fan of it. Both on the 05-09 and the current 10-11.
Quite agree
Old 7/18/10, 10:34 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to see an option for some race seats, maybe some Recaros as the industry tends to go that way.
Old 7/18/10, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mustangmaniak2010

You call this square?! You need a new pair of eyes man.
Actually you need a new pair of eyes. You just posted a picture of a square old fashioned dash and and you don't know it. Its basically one straight line acrosss slightly broken up by a little indention in the middle. Its also too upright for my taste. American car companies continues to screw up car interiors. They need to poach interior designers from other companies to help with their designs. I like everything about the Mustang instead of the interior. They fix that for the next generation and the car will be perfect.
Old 7/18/10, 08:02 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
Actually you need a new pair of eyes. You just posted a picture of a square old fashioned dash and and you don't know it. Its basically one straight line acrosss slightly broken up by a little indention in the middle. Its also too upright for my taste. American car companies continues to screw up car interiors. They need to poach interior designers from other companies to help with their designs. I like everything about the Mustang instead of the interior. They fix that for the next generation and the car will be perfect.

So, your issue is with the horizontal line at the top of the dash...

I guess Hyundai is building old cars...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/images/Hyu...main_img02.jpg

BMW does add a hump at the drivers side...

http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/ne...per_24_big.jpg

The new Taurus...

http://image.automotive.com/f/miscel...nteriorjpg.jpg

Guess you must be referring to Toyota - my first find for one without lines (on a new car - 2009 or 2010).

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2...full/int_1.jpg

Everybody knows they are style leaders, right? The ovoid setup they are using is actually vintage 1996 Taurus. Look it up.
Old 7/19/10, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

You sound like a 12 year old spoiled teen that gets his automotive knowledge from Top gear.
But i suppose
Old 7/19/10, 07:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

And let me ask you a question, have actualy ever driven a new mustang at all?

Last edited by mustangmaniak2010; 7/19/10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 7/19/10, 05:36 PM

You sound like a 12 year old spoiled teen that gets his automotive knowledge from Top gear.
But i suppose
Amazing. You are the one resorting to name calling and I am the 12 year old brat...
Old 7/19/10, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4xFord
So, your issue is with the horizontal line at the top of the dash...

I guess Hyundai is building old cars...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/images/Hyu...main_img02.jpg

BMW does add a hump at the drivers side...

http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/ne...per_24_big.jpg

The new Taurus...

http://image.automotive.com/f/miscel...nteriorjpg.jpg

Guess you must be referring to Toyota - my first find for one without lines (on a new car - 2009 or 2010).

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2...full/int_1.jpg

Everybody knows they are style leaders, right? The ovoid setup they are using is actually vintage 1996 Taurus. Look it up.
None of these looks as old fashioned as the Mustang's. Actually none of those dashes look really good either. The time for the square dash is past. Those days went by in the 80s. Of course lots of old buyers like it because it reminds them of a time when they were not old.
Old 7/19/10, 05:45 PM

And let me ask you a question, have actualy ever driven a new mustang at all?
You know you can actually see the dash without actually getting into the car right?
Old 7/19/10, 07:03 PM
GT Member

None of these looks as old fashioned as the Mustang's. Actually none of those dashes look really good either. The time for the square dash is past. Those days went by in the 80s. Of course lots of old buyers like it because it reminds them of a time when they were not old.
i didn't realize 23 is old. i love the interior of the mustang.

but going back to topic:

more power (DI)
more mileage (should be feasible with a DI)
reduced weight
brembos all around
recaros
wider rear tires
a button to open the trunk (not sure if that's in the 2010-11, i know it wasn't in the 05)
memory seats (i don't need it since i'd be the only one in it)
no antenna

i think those are pretty fair and reasonable
Old 7/19/10, 07:38 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
As I was writing that post, I was thinking of the Grand National as well. A V6 that commanded everybody's attention.
Pretty unique for domestic back in the day I think. Same with the Syclone and the Typhoon as well as the SVO Mustang.

Ford might be able to cash in on SVO nostalgia with a turbocharged V6, but what niche would it fill? The SVO cars were the original fox car premise taken to the next level (european inspired attributes) to put it broadly, but that might step on the toes of the up and coming (I suppose) Boss Mustang.

Honestly, somebody like Roush or Saleen could probably pull off a t-charged V6 Mustang in the near term rather than Ford commiting the resources and muddying its portfolio with competing models.
Old 7/20/10, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob
Pretty unique for domestic back in the day I think. Same with the Syclone and the Typhoon as well as the SVO Mustang.

Ford might be able to cash in on SVO nostalgia with a turbocharged V6, but what niche would it fill? The SVO cars were the original fox car premise taken to the next level (european inspired attributes) to put it broadly, but that might step on the toes of the up and coming (I suppose) Boss Mustang.

Honestly, somebody like Roush or Saleen could probably pull off a t-charged V6 Mustang in the near term rather than Ford commiting the resources and muddying its portfolio with competing models.
There are people(some even on this forum) that want a more sophisticated Mustang, both in performance and in styling.
Call it what you will - SVO or SHO, but this type of car is going to attract a different type of buyer.

I've been a V8 guy my entire life, but I loved the SVO Mustang when it first came out. A modern interpretation of that car with an ecoboost V6 would be fantastic.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?