2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/10, 12:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodriguez256
Yea three styles would be cool. My favorite Mustang rear was the 67-68. The Fastback profile matched with the hips very nicely. Im just worried that a fastback profile would look out of place on the new generations of mustang. Like the Icocca Mustang. Really wasnt feeling the rear of that car. it makes an already big car look bigger. Which brings me to the black molding around on the newer cars. I really like the way it breaks up the paint and makes the cars look visually smaller. I was behind a 10 V6 in white, and I must say the black molding goes best with the White. It just made the white come out nicer. At leas that's opinio. So I do hope they continue to do that or make the Next Generation Mustang so scaled down in size that it doesnt need it.
I would also love to see three body styles (including a true fastback). I think you're right about it making the larger current cars look too big though. Hopefully car makers can stop with the cartoon proportions and lower the beltline and cowl height as well so this isn't a problem. I would like to see a more sleek look to the next design rather than it keep getting fatter and taller.

Although I like the current design, I also agree that the retro thing is wearing out it's welcome. Luckily the mustang can pull it off better than other cars due to the huge amount of past looks and design cues to sample from, but overall I would like to see a move away from it.

Oh yeah, and stop with the HUGE wheels to compensate for a car thats proportions are too big/tall! I don't want to drive something that looks like a childs toy.

I can take or leave a telescoping steering wheel and adjustable pedals. I feel like it's something that fat people need to clear their belly or teenagers want so they can get that ridiculous leaned back "pimpin' da ho's" look when they drive and still reach the wheel
Old 5/6/10, 09:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to see a "quick access" button for sliding the seats forward and letting people in the back on power seat models. RX-8s have it now. Or, another option would be to put a seat slider button on the side of the seat itself, to make moving the seat more friendly.
Old 5/7/10, 09:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Late to the thread, but:

Emberglo
Old 5/11/10, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Ford has already developed many of the technologies we are discussing, they just haven't implemented them in the Mustang. Push button start is cheap. Adjustable pedals are not. Integrated antenna is cheap. Air conditioned seats are not. At the very least I think we'll see a lot of the "bang for the buck" improvements currently lacking, in the next gen 'stang. The creature comforts normally associated with luxury cars which will add to the overall price, and weight, probably won't make the cut.

Last edited by Adam; 5/11/10 at 11:50 AM.
Old 5/11/10, 05:09 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 541MoparMan
Cylinder Deactivation/Displacement on Demand/Active Fuel Management/Multiple Displacement Systems? They're touchy creatures. As long as the programming isnt too intrusive it isnt bad. My Challenger has it and it was made more touchy for 2010, it intrudes alot. This intrusion causes throttle delay and the engine bogs as it reactivates the cylinders and rev's the RPM up to get power going again. While .5 seconds doesnt sound like alot..trust me..it is.

What Ford could do, if they were wise, is make it user controlled. "Oh I'm driving on the interstate, just cruising? I'll turn it on with this little button on the center stack" "Oh I'm wanting to do some hot rodding without throttle delay? off it goes".

Best of both worlds, fuel economy without a nosey computer deciding if you want to drive a V4 or V8.
a selectable driving mode would be great...but they'd need to tag it 'towing' or similar to prevent te EPA from frowning
my wifes avalanche has cyl deactivation, and its seamless...if not watching the display, youd never know it was in 4 cylinder mode...it can be done apparently.

regarding the seat memory- a faster/cheaper thing might be the tip/slide seat like in our 98 windstar- extra lever folds/slides the seat full fwd for rear entry, just simply push it back to its old position preset. I personally dont like the motorized seat/mirror/whatever memory stuff, just because I keep cars like forever and seat motors can be fun to change. that tip/slide thing is so simple its not funny, yet is handy as heck puttin the kids in back of the van...seriously wondered about hacking a set into the mustang- drivers side at least

std power up/down passenger seat would be great for the mustang- my wifes short, her and the kids sit way low in the standard seats...the 6 way is ok, but the up/down would really be a plus even just by itself.
Old 5/11/10, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Primarily, I want to see two things.
  1. More Power
  2. Less Weight
Old 5/12/10, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Primarily, I want to see two things.
  1. More Power
  2. Less Weight
I could live with same power as the 2011 with less weight
Old 5/12/10, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
I could live with same power as the 2011 with less weight
And I could live with a little less power, if we had a lot less weight
Old 5/13/10, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think I must be the only one who thinks the 2011 Line up's power output is too High.

I know, I know.

But it wasn't long ago that the viper was putting out these numbers.

The upper models I guess I do not have such a problem with, but the V6 (While awesome) is too powerful for the base engine. I mean yuppies are going to buy these for the 16 yr olds (every 16 year old is jumping up and down right now).

I would like to see ford find a weaker base engine. Especially if it is going to be lighter. the SN95's 3.8 always felt peppy to me, not blitzing fast, but at least peppy enough to pass on the interstate easily. If they get the weight down a couple hundred pounds as I have seen mentioned, then 200 HP/180 ftlbs of torque would be plenty to have a peppy base.

OK guys, Commence Attack!
Old 5/13/10, 08:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Whoa, cruisin' for a brusin'.

The power numbers need to be high to compete w/Camaro and the imports. I'm sure there's a base engine available w/less than 300 hp.
Old 5/13/10, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
Whoa, cruisin' for a brusin'.

The power numbers need to be high to compete w/Camaro and the imports. I'm sure there's a base engine available w/less than 300 hp.
Didn't it already beat those cars at the current level. My statement about power levels in cars really should have been directed across the board though. Less then a decade ago the 320 horsepower offered by the SVT Cobra was considered insane. Then came the Race car termed Cobra R with 385, Next the Terminators with 390 SC ponies all considered the end all beat all at the top of their models. The Camaro SS and the Firebird WS6 were at 320.

Now we are talking base V6 and entry V8 with better numbers. We does enough become ridiculous...

Luckily it's been a while since i've taken a good shot to jaw, so I'm due

Last edited by jarradasay; 5/13/10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 5/13/10, 10:13 AM
GTR Member

I'm surprised by your statement. The increase in power over the years is a testament to the evolution and engineering involved with the vehicles. Sure, weight has gone up, but new tech has also been developed to make engines more efficient than they were in the 90s and early 2000s. Besides, companies have to remain competitive if they want to be successful. Take a look at 2010 sales as a result.
Old 5/13/10, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ministang
And I could live with a little less power, if we had a lot less weight
I think Lotus founder Colin Chapman said it best:

"More power will make you faster in the straights, less weight will make you faster everywhere."
Old 5/13/10, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'm surprised by your statement. The increase in power over the years is a testament to the evolution and engineering involved with the vehicles. Sure, weight has gone up, but new tech has also been developed to make engines more efficient than they were in the 90s and early 2000s. Besides, companies have to remain competitive if they want to be successful. Take a look at 2010 sales as a result.
Great! But what about safety or drivers ability. It takes a better driver to be able to control more Power. The number one vehicle wrecked base on volume of the vehicle made is the dodge viper, because people buy them but do not have the skill, reactions, and knowledge of how to operate a vehicle with that kind of power.

Even in the 60's and 70's the height of Muscle cars, the cars never approached 400/400 in stock form. I will have my eye out for every 2011 and newer in the future. It used to be that only extreme enthusiasts bought the high performance models, as evident by the SVT and Shelby sales volume. Now the average person moving up from a civic could be behind the wheel. It scares me to death whether it is a 300/280 V6 or a 400/400 5.0. At least the Camaro and the Challenger have weight to water down the power. The mustang is turning into a 30,000 2 ton accident waiting to happen. Especially running on 235s.

There you have it... I'm a chicken and have no faith in the average driver, who has not even opened up the owner manual, let alone learned how to drive and respect 300-400 horsepower. Now I do not fear those here and my comments are not directed to anyone here. The enthusiast is the minority for mustang buyers. We track our cars, we drag them, we know the specs, we know the car inside and out, but what about those that don't???

Did you see the guy drag his stock bullit and do a 1st-2nd-1st shift and end up in the wall with a very broken mustang? Those guys will be on the street with another 100 ftlbs of torque with no wall to run into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQNM1r6Jls

That is where my statement comes from. I personally want a 5.0 and think it is awesome, but I have autocrossed, and have had professional drivers ride with me and help me learn how control the 05 I have, and I still worry that with 400 I might lose the backend on gravel or water.

Oh, well water over the dam or under the bridge... it is coming.

Last edited by jarradasay; 5/13/10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 5/17/10, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jarradasay
Looking at this, i am very curious, what the need/benefit of the telescoping steering wheel is. it appears that several people like this idea.

I am 5'11 with at 34" inseam and no matter where I put the seat or how far back I lean it, i can comfortably handle the steering wheel.

Typically doesn't leg length relatively correspond with arm length.

Are you guys 6' with 42" inseams and short arms?
That was a jest, but honestly i am interested in the perceived benefit.
I'm 6'1, probably the same inseam. I don't like to have to 'reach' for the steering wheel. I've got tendonitis in both elbows and sometimes I just can't hardly straighten my arm out. I want the wheel close. Since it doesn't telescope, I move the seat up as close as I can before my knee makes me stop. I'd still like it a few inches closer. Can I drive without the telescoping wheel? Obviously. The tilt helps a great deal... but every time I drive the Taurus it reminds me that the Mustang could be that much better...
Old 5/18/10, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
I'm 6'1, probably the same inseam. I don't like to have to 'reach' for the steering wheel. I've got tendonitis in both elbows and sometimes I just can't hardly straighten my arm out. I want the wheel close. Since it doesn't telescope, I move the seat up as close as I can before my knee makes me stop. I'd still like it a few inches closer. Can I drive without the telescoping wheel? Obviously. The tilt helps a great deal... but every time I drive the Taurus it reminds me that the Mustang could be that much better...
I see.

I sit with my legs as straight as possible and my arms only slightly bent. as far away from the airbag as comfortably possible.

What I would like to see more than the steering wheel is the shifter slid back another couple of inches.
Old 5/18/10, 12:23 PM
GTR Member

Great! But what about safety or drivers ability. It takes a better driver to be able to control more Power. The number one vehicle wrecked base on volume of the vehicle made is the dodge viper, because people buy them but do not have the skill, reactions, and knowledge of how to operate a vehicle with that kind of power.

Even in the 60's and 70's the height of Muscle cars, the cars never approached 400/400 in stock form. I will have my eye out for every 2011 and newer in the future. It used to be that only extreme enthusiasts bought the high performance models, as evident by the SVT and Shelby sales volume. Now the average person moving up from a civic could be behind the wheel. It scares me to death whether it is a 300/280 V6 or a 400/400 5.0. At least the Camaro and the Challenger have weight to water down the power. The mustang is turning into a 30,000 2 ton accident waiting to happen. Especially running on 235s.

There you have it... I'm a chicken and have no faith in the average driver, who has not even opened up the owner manual, let alone learned how to drive and respect 300-400 horsepower. Now I do not fear those here and my comments are not directed to anyone here. The enthusiast is the minority for mustang buyers. We track our cars, we drag them, we know the specs, we know the car inside and out, but what about those that don't???

Did you see the guy drag his stock bullit and do a 1st-2nd-1st shift and end up in the wall with a very broken mustang? Those guys will be on the street with another 100 ftlbs of torque with no wall to run into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQNM1r6Jls

That is where my statement comes from. I personally want a 5.0 and think it is awesome, but I have autocrossed, and have had professional drivers ride with me and help me learn how control the 05 I have, and I still worry that with 400 I might lose the backend on gravel or water.

Oh, well water over the dam or under the bridge... it is coming.
Good points, but look at other facts. Since the mid 60s, cars have grown in size, standard equipment, and most notably, curb weight. The power numbers have risen as well, but rarely did we see huge jumps of power to overtrump the weight that was being added. 2011 was a year where the nearly 100 hp gain was there and almost no weight increase to follow. With the increases in modern technology (which some of us don't want) we can have more control over our cars with less training and understanding of the vehicles dynamics. Things like ABS, TCS, and ESC give us help when we either don't know how or can't react fast enough.

Unfortunately, we can't control those we don't know. Most of the time it just boils down to being assertive on the road and practicing defensive driving, and learning YOUR vehicle, not someone elses.
Old 5/18/10, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
we can have more control over our cars with less training and understanding of the vehicles dynamics. Things like ABS, TCS, and ESC give us help when we either don't know how or can't react fast enough.
It is because of those add ons that there is the weight increase, not in spite of it.

What would it be like if we actually were required to learn how to drive, instead of how to hold a steering wheel?

I'm all for technology, but what happens when it fails? We come to rely on it, but can't operate without it. Sticking gas pedals for one thing. 20 years ago anyone would have know to slam you foot down on the accelerator to get it unstuck, if that didn't work put the car in neutral and let it roll to a stop and shut the car off. Now no body knows anything about the 2 ton projectiles they drive, and the projectiles are only getting faster, heavier, and more distracting.

And the more you know about everyone else's vehicle the safer you are and the more you can prepare.
Old 5/18/10, 01:15 PM
GTR Member

It is because of those add ons that there is the weight increase, not in spite of it.

What would it be like if we actually were required to learn how to drive, instead of how to hold a steering wheel?

I'm all for technology, but what happens when it fails? We come to rely on it, but can't operate without it. Sticking gas pedals for one thing. 20 years ago anyone would have know to slam you foot down on the accelerator to get it unstuck, if that didn't work put the car in neutral and let it roll to a stop and shut the car off. Now no body knows anything about the 2 ton projectiles they drive, and the projectiles are only getting faster, heavier, and more distracting.

And the more you know about everyone else's vehicle the safer you are and the more you can prepare.
Some of us did learn how to drive, and others chose to just grab a steering wheel, maybe a cell phone, makeup, etc. You can't lump the masses together though. They're as diverse as a group as this forum is as a part of that group.

Cars got bigger because people wanted it. Cars got heavier because of things like crumple zones, 19" wheels, side airbags, and door reinforcements. Cars got faster and more powerful to cope with that (partly) and to provide the owner with a fine tuned machine.

If you choose to learn about someone elses vehicle, how is that going to help you when/if they hit you head on?

I guess while I respect your opinion, I don't think the "sky is falling" and all cars are boxes of death approach makes sense.
Old 5/18/10, 05:25 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProudPony
The next Mustang (and this Boss car is the guinea pig for the work) WILL be lighter. We are already prototyping/making parts for the Mustang (and other Fords) that are weight-specific. Imagine your machine operators putting each part on a digital scale at the QC station to get a red or green light on the weight of each part. Yes, every single part. We have max/min part weights we have to hit now - scale gives a green light if in spec, red light if too heavy or too light. There is other work I can't speak of on this board too, but suffice to say that weight is now a big issue at Ford (all models, but Mustang in particular).
WIN

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?