GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/07, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Granatelli
I would really like to know how a boost controller makes the turbo make boost sooner
Magic fairy dust supplied by GMS.
Old 12/11/07, 06:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by philster2003
When I read the wording in the attachment I feel the wording is misleading, especially when GMS says it’s good for only 357 at the rear wheels. I also get the feeling the wording is left to be purposely ambiguous.

The wording should be corrected to something along the lines of a HP range that can be expected and to specifically say the HP is measured at the rear wheels (not will support 450 to the rear wheels). That would cover the difference inherit from auto to auto.

From what I've learned here at TMS Tom is one of the most honorable members we have and now this thread is veering in a direction that’s seemed to be almost foreseeable given others experiences..................

I don't agree with the response GMS provided in the previous post, frankly I was hoping the vendor would have gone out of there way to ensure this turned out to be a very positive experience, especially since its getting such visibility with its focal thread. Seems like there are a number of vendors here who really understand customer service and how to ensure their customers are totally satisfied, vendors such as MGW or Brenspeed come immediately to mind.

I'm in the Just Fix It and Make the Customer Happy and Right! camp, NOW

Very disappointing to me, hang in there Tom, I hope this sorts itself out for you and you end up totally satisfied.

I really don't understand exactly what you are getting at. GMS has bent over backwards to make Tom happy. It just so happens I was in Florida and I made a point to give Tom all the time in the world. I made phone calls to other customers and speed shops with identical installs so that all parties could compare notes, I did my best to get his car dyno'd while I was there for free (did not happen). In Tom’s video and in several posts and conversations Tom said he loved the way the car ran. His only gripe to me was the kit was missing a plug for the exhaust and 36 inches of vacuum line. Everyone here has told Tom his car will make over 400 on a dynojet. Tom said he is going to dyno it on a dynojet. Until that happens what can I do. Sending a tune over the internet is easy. If ANY CUSTOMER feels a vender should inspect a part they got because they feel there may be an issue, it is up to the customer to get the part to the vender. If the vender finds a problem the Vender should pay to get the parts fixed. There has been no issue with the Granatelli Kit. If there is a turbo issue (turbonetics) and BOV issue (HKS) or a waste gate issue (tial) they all offer support. It is covered in their warranty as well. At no time have I said take it up with them. I have done my part and will continue to do so. Before anyone jumps to conclusions or assumes we are not helping try to play fair and cast aspersions
Old 12/11/07, 06:32 PM
GTR Member

I haven't been upset with GMS or JR for anything. I'm still not upset.

Scott fixed the base tune and I do love the way the car runs. Plus it gets over 23 MPG while cruising.

The only "problems" with the kit were the missing O2 bung plug and hose to connect the WG to the intake manifold, as JR said. He's sending the plug, but I guess he owes me $3 for the hose!

The only thing I want to get fixed now is the turbo lag and the torque numbers. It will probably be 420RWHP+, 400RWTQ+ on a DynoJet, but JR says the torque numbers should be higher than the HP numbers.

JR will bench test the WG and BOV, even though they are probably both fine.

I just emailed JR to tell him I won't be sending back the components JUST YET. I just want another week or so to try out a boost controller so I can see if it makes a difference. I'm sure JR will still test the components a week or so from now.
Old 12/11/07, 06:53 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I haven't been upset with GMS or JR for anything. I'm still not upset.

Scott fixed the base tune and I do love the way the car runs. Plus it gets over 23 MPG while cruising.

The only "problems" with the kit were the missing O2 bung plug and hose to connect the WG to the intake manifold, as JR said. He's sending the plug, but I guess he owes me $3 for the hose!

The only thing I want to get fixed now is the turbo lag and the torque numbers. It will probably be 420RWHP+, 400RWTQ+ on a DynoJet, but JR says the torque numbers should be higher than the HP numbers.

JR will bench test the WG and BOV, even though they are probably both fine.

I just emailed JR to tell him I won't be sending back the components JUST YET. I just want another week or so to try out a boost controller so I can see if it makes a difference. I'm sure JR will still test the components a week or so from now.
$3.00 is on it way

My word is my bond - I will always help any of my customers - I always have and always will
Old 12/11/07, 06:56 PM
GTR Member

$3.00 is on it way
I hope you are kidding... I was!

My word is my bond - I will always help any of my customers - I always have and always will
See if you agree with some of the stuff in the email I sent you.
Old 12/11/07, 07:12 PM
Cobra Member

I really don't understand exactly what you are getting at. GMS has bent over backwards to make Tom happy. It just so happens I was in Florida and I made a point to give Tom all the time in the world. I made phone calls to other customers and speed shops with identical installs so that all parties could compare notes, I did my best to get his car dyno'd while I was there for free (did not happen). In Tom’s video and in several posts and conversations Tom said he loved the way the car ran. His only gripe to me was the kit was missing a plug for the exhaust and 36 inches of vacuum line. Everyone here has told Tom his car will make over 400 on a dynojet. Tom said he is going to dyno it on a dynojet. Until that happens what can I do. Sending a tune over the internet is easy. If ANY CUSTOMER feels a vender should inspect a part they got because they feel there may be an issue, it is up to the customer to get the part to the vender. If the vender finds a problem the Vender should pay to get the parts fixed. There has been no issue with the Granatelli Kit. If there is a turbo issue (turbonetics) and BOV issue (HKS) or a waste gate issue (tial) they all offer support. It is covered in their warranty as well. At no time have I said take it up with them. I have done my part and will continue to do so. Before anyone jumps to conclusions or assumes we are not helping try to play fair and cast aspersions
Sorry but I guess we are all entitled to our opinion and when I read your reply to Tom it comes off condescending and defensive to me. Using the term "In all due respect" is a phrase thats puts me into defensive mode.

You may have bent over backwards but the bottom line to me is stop the small talk and just get it fixed or get this resolved. All eyes are on you by virtual of this forum thread, make it all right. Going back and forth is "boring and tiring"
Old 12/11/07, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

We know the kits will make 400 to the tire but that was never our written claim on the base kit. The kits will go up to 20psi and we have several cars out the road in the upper 600 low 700hp range.

Comparing the stroker motor in your 89 to a mod motor from idle to 4500 is apples and watermelon.
The highest Tom's will go is 13.5 psi, and then only at peak rpm with the wastegate disconnected. Even when it does eventually reach 13 psi it is making a fraction of the power any other turbo Mustang would make at that level of boost. To say that it is not the fastest Mustang running 13 psi is an understatement. I would venture that it is the slowest.To look at the dyno graph you would never suspect that the engine is turbocharged. Boost seems to rise more in response to rpm than as a function of turbo spool-up. As far as comparing it to his 89, I was merely illustrating the fact that by 4500 the turbo should be fully spooled and absolutely killing any 5 liter NA motor.
Old 12/11/07, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I would really like to know how a boost controller makes the turbo make boost sooner
By delaying the signal to the wastegate. With an 8psi spring the wastegate starts cracking open at about 3 psi, bleeding off exhaust and slowing spool-up. A boost controller will stay completely closed until 6-7 psi allowing more exhaust to work to accelerate the turbine wheel.
Old 12/11/07, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

And I still agree in general with the comments above. - Tom asked for an entry level kit and that is what he got. Our website shows the entry level kit makes 6psi and only 370hp. But the torque should be in the 410 range. I have agreed to exchange any and all components in question. I personally inspected teh car and it looked A OK . His turbo has a 1 year warranty as well. However, we need to get the parts back to inspect them before we can just start shipping more stuff. That is standard and only fair.

I also agree that at 13psi the car shuld have been making 530 to 550 even at 6000 .
JR the problem is that kit is not working like it should you know it everyone knows it. That boost curve looks like my old Vortech setup, something is wrong and it has to do with something in your kit end of story. Instead of shrugging your shoulders and giving one of these YOU need to fix these problems. I don’t see why Tom should be inconvenienced by having his car down after he removes and sends you parts of the kit he bought from you then wait to have you inspect them. Why not send him NEW parts then he can remove the currents stuff and send them back to be inspected thus limiting the down time on his car. Tom seems to be pretty patient had it been my car I would be really considering pulling your kit off sending it back and buying a Turbonetics or Hellion kit.
Old 12/11/07, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is a dyno of an 07 GT with a Hellion Kit, the 440/429 was with 8psi and he has the EXACT same turbo and AR as Toms car. THATS a turbo graph.
Old 12/11/07, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

89Trooper, nice install man looks good and i bet its mean as hell...... i see all the pics and i love that decal you put on the radiator cover if you call it that...... i want one where did you get it....... oh yeah your car celebrates its birthday with my birthday lol
Old 12/11/07, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by polodinks
89Trooper, nice install man looks good and i bet its mean as hell...... i see all the pics and i love that decal you put on the radiator cover if you call it that...... i want one where did you get it....... oh yeah your car celebrates its birthday with my birthday lol
Post number 241 bro.
Old 12/12/07, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor

Sorry but I guess we are all entitled to our opinion and when I read your reply to Tom it comes off condescending and defensive to me. Using the term "In all due respect" is a phrase thats puts me into defensive mode.

You may have bent over backwards but the bottom line to me is stop the small talk and just get it fixed or get this resolved. All eyes are on you by virtual of this forum thread, make it all right. Going back and forth is "boring and tiring"
OK - I thought we were "making it right" - when in reality there was nothing wrong. We are merely fine tuning. Again, from day 1 of driveing Tom said he could feel the great power increase. The boost creep issue was really a non issue - The instructions told Tom to hook up the line but in a convo I had with him I said you really don't need it. So I WAS WRONG and the instruction I wrote were right. To error is human to forgive devine
Old 12/12/07, 01:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I just want another week or so to try out a boost controller so I can see if it makes a difference.
Now here’s a thought…………….

I was thinking Tom, since this is a learning process for all of us, maybe the solution is as simple as a boost controller. I know when I used to mod my GTI 1.8 Turbo I employed the use of a boost controller to great results. A boost controller should absolutely keep all exhaust gases directed to the turbo turbine and nothing leaking out through the waste gate prematurely like it appears to be doing. That should spool it up fast and get the numbers where they should be.

So what do you think JR (GMS) how about buying Tom a boost controller to resolve this ongoing issue? Seems like an easy fix, for you and Tom and it would rebuild some of the lost customer confidence and satisfaction. What are they like $70 or $75?

It would be great if your next post read: I just ordered and sent Tom a boost controller that should resolve the issue. And if for some reason Tom has already jumped ahead and ordered and purchased a boost controller you can send Tom a check to cover the cost. You can add it to the $3 you already said you would send to Tom.

Gosh, it seems so simple and cost effective and cheap. And like I said, Tom gets his issue fixed, you solve the issue and regain vendor confidence and all of us learned a great deal from all of this. A win, win for all. Think of all the future benefit you get knowing its as simple as a boost controller. Especially with all the man hours you have invested so far, that’s adds up to big time $, right?

So how about that JR, Buy Tom the Boost Controller that fixes the issue?
Old 12/12/07, 01:04 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 65sohc
The highest Tom's will go is 13.5 psi, and then only at peak rpm with the wastegate disconnected. Even when it does eventually reach 13 psi it is making a fraction of the power any other turbo Mustang would make at that level of boost. To say that it is not the fastest Mustang running 13 psi is an understatement. I would venture that it is the slowest.To look at the dyno graph you would never suspect that the engine is turbocharged. Boost seems to rise more in response to rpm than as a function of turbo spool-up. As far as comparing it to his 89, I was merely illustrating the fact that by 4500 the turbo should be fully spooled and absolutely killing any 5 liter NA motor.
Again I agree - I am not looking for a fight - gheez - I was not there when he dyno'd it so I can not speak for the 13psi spike at the last minute and why the power did nopt represent that. Again when you drive the car - it runs like a 400hp car should
Old 12/12/07, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 65sohc
By delaying the signal to the wastegate. With an 8psi spring the wastegate starts cracking open at about 3 psi, bleeding off exhaust and slowing spool-up. A boost controller will stay completely closed until 6-7 psi allowing more exhaust to work to accelerate the turbine wheel.
A spring change does not delay the signal. But again I really do not want to argue the point
Old 12/12/07, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
JR the problem is that kit is not working like it should you know it everyone knows it. That boost curve looks like my old Vortech setup, something is wrong and it has to do with something in your kit end of story. Instead of shrugging your shoulders and giving one of these YOU need to fix these problems. I don’t see why Tom should be inconvenienced by having his car down after he removes and sends you parts of the kit he bought from you then wait to have you inspect them. Why not send him NEW parts then he can remove the currents stuff and send them back to be inspected thus limiting the down time on his car. Tom seems to be pretty patient had it been my car I would be really considering pulling your kit off sending it back and buying a Turbonetics or Hellion kit.
The turbo is a turbonetics - I promise you if you call turbonetics they will not send you a new turbo until they get the old one back.

Same goes will Hellion. All these posts seem like fighting words. Why all the hostility. Why is it that everytime there is a problem with someones car it is always the manufactures fault? Tom has the same kit that over 200 other guys have and they all love the power. I agree Tom's car spools slower then most. I look at teh car and it looked OK so I said said the parts and we can inspect them - If a few of you feel that is not acceptable - I am sincerely sorry. I did send Tom a new CAT ($300) with the new pipe welded to it and never got the first one back (yet) If Tom has a problem with a part Granatelli makes we jump right on it. The 3 parts in question are HKS, TIAL and Turbonetics. I need the first one back before I can get another
Old 12/12/07, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor

Here is a dyno of an 07 GT with a Hellion Kit, the 440/429 was with 8psi and he has the EXACT same turbo and AR as Toms car. THATS a turbo graph. http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...g?t=1196384779
These numbers match ours so yes I agree - also your numbers are on a dynojet and everyone here has already told Tom he would make 420 on a dynojet
Old 12/12/07, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor

Now here’s a thought…………….

I was thinking Tom, since this is a learning process for all of us, maybe the solution is as simple as a boost controller. I know when I used to mod my GTI 1.8 Turbo I employed the use of a boost controller to great results. A boost controller should absolutely keep all exhaust gases directed to the turbo turbine and nothing leaking out through the waste gate prematurely like it appears to be doing. That should spool it up fast and get the numbers where they should be.

So what do you think JR (GMS) how about buying Tom a boost controller to resolve this ongoing issue? Seems like an easy fix, for you and Tom and it would rebuild some of the lost customer confidence and satisfaction. What are they like $70 or $75?

It would be great if your next post read: I just ordered and sent Tom a boost controller that should resolve the issue. And if for some reason Tom has already jumped ahead and ordered and purchased a boost controller you can send Tom a check to cover the cost. You can add it to the $3 you already said you would send to Tom.

Gosh, it seems so simple and cost effective and cheap. And like I said, Tom gets his issue fixed, you solve the issue and regain vendor confidence and all of us learned a great deal from all of this. A win, win for all. Think of all the future benefit you get knowing its as simple as a boost controller. Especially with all the man hours you have invested so far, that’s adds up to big time $, right?

So how about that JR, Buy Tom the Boost Controller that fixes the issue?
That fact remains to be seem. Tom has ordered a boost controller and he is installing it. Lets see what that does. the boost controller will raise boost but will not make it make boost sooner. 2 main points need to be addressed and reminded of.

1. TOM is not complaining just all of you guys are coming to his defence before he even asks you guys for help

2. I have offered to exchange everything and anything plus I met with him while in FL and looked over his car. I think the boost controller or like I said a spring change in the waist gate will go a long way
Old 12/12/07, 02:08 PM
Former Vendor

I would be really considering pulling your kit off sending it back and buying a Turbonetics or Hellion kit.
What does Hellion and STS think about Granatelli

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video_detail.php?mId=3245

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install