GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/07, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Granatelli
A spring change does not delay the signal. But again I really do not want to argue the point
He's not talking about a spring change. He's talking about an electronic wastegate holding the wastegate closed so no pressure escapes just as if there wasn't a wastegate at all.
Old 12/12/07, 03:25 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
An 8psi spring means it will not open until 8psi, its not a gradual thing so it should make zero difference.
Old 12/12/07, 04:00 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Knight
An 8psi spring means it will not open until 8psi, its not a gradual thing so it should make zero difference.
I'm still not 100% sure about this statement. I won't argue with the statement, I'll prove it one way or the other.

This weekend, I'm putting a balloon around the dump from the waste gate. Since I have a "6psi" spring, I should be able to drive up to 4psi easily and the balloon should not pop or even blow up a little bit.

I'm willing to bet that the balloon will blow up, and that the spring is starting to crack open earlier than 6psi. This has to be true since the only thing I changed was hooking up to the side of the WG and it lowered max psi from 13 to 6 by helping the spring open.

A 6psi or an 8psi spring should not open until those ratings in theory, but I'll believe it when I see it.

If it does blow up the balloon, then a boost controller set to 8psi will hold the spring shut until 8psi as if there is no connection to the WG. Then when 8psi is reached, it should trigger the boost controller, open the spring, and pop the balloon almost instantly.

From looking at boost controllers, they all say that they will increase max psi (we know this is true because they are adjustable), and that they will also increase the spooling rate (by eliminating WG leakage by keeping the pressure "signal" away from the WG until the adjustable setting is reached).
Old 12/12/07, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Trooper hit the nail on the head. A spring is not an on/off switch. It simply gets to a point at which it no longer compresses and this determines the max psi that your motor will see.

Now if you want to get technical....

F = -kx where k is this constant spring rate which I'm refering to. This basicly determines how "stong" the spring is. The spring does not instantly go from 0 pressure to it's max compression. It slowly gives.
Old 12/12/07, 04:33 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Trooper hit the nail on the head. A spring is not an on/off switch. It simply gets to a point at which it no longer compresses and this determines the max psi that your motor will see.

F = -kx where k is this constant spring rate which I'm refering to. This basicly determines how "stong" the spring is. The spring does not instantly go from 0 pressure to it's max compression. It slowly gives.
That spring rate and the slowly opening is without a boost controller, correct? In other words, the way I have my WG hooked up now?

And then, with a boost controller, the boost controller becomes the "on/off" switch?

Set at 8psi, the spring is 1psi closed... 2psi closed... 3psi closed... 4psi closed... 5psi closed... 6psi closed... 7psi closed... 8psi OPEN!
Old 12/12/07, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
So, the boost controller is the "on/off" switch?

Set at 8psi, the spring is 1psi closed... 2psi closed... 3psi closed... 4psi closed... 5psi closed... 6psi closed... 7psi closed... 8psi OPEN!
Yes pretty much.
Old 12/12/07, 05:37 PM
GTR Member

Yes pretty much.
Looking forward to seeing the difference with the boost controller, then!

I can do the balloon test this weekend and post the results. I won't have the boost controller until after the weekend, but I'm sure I'll install it the night it arrives!

Hope it comes with good instructions. I've been told the one I'm getting hooks up to the top and side of the WG:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I got the 0-10psi version (instead of the 0-25psi) so I couldn't go crazy with it!
Old 12/12/07, 05:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Looking forward to seeing the difference with the boost controller, then!

I can do the balloon test this weekend and post the results. I won't have the boost controller until after the weekend, but I'm sure I'll install it the night it arrives!

Hope it comes with good instructions. I've been told the one I'm getting hooks up to the top and side of the WG:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I got the 0-10psi version (instead of the 0-25psi) so I couldn't go crazy with it!
Looks good Tom, can't wait to see the results of your tests and adding the BC.

Very admirable with the self restraint by only buying the 0-10 model, not sure I would have been as good a boy as you

You are a Trooper (excuse the pun again) through all of this Tom.

I'm going to employ some self restraint as well until this gets further down the road and resolved. I can tell you my overall feedback for points posted in this thread by our high-lighted vendor will be very honest and telling to say the least, but I'll hold off until then.
Old 12/12/07, 06:18 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
Very admirable with the self restraint by only buying the 0-10 model, not sure I would have been as good a boy as you
I figured I could probably crank it all the way up and still be fine with the tune that Scott provided! Not so with the 0-25psi model.

But I'll still aim for the 8-9 psi range. From what I understand, it isn't too touchy... one full turn of the **** is only a 1psi change. It's not like I can rotate 1/8 turn and instantly have 10psi. A good thing!

With the boost controller installed, if the boost comes in even a tad quicker and my HP/TQ numbers both come in over 400 (on a Dyno Jet), then I'll be satisfied. It still might not be the fastest 8psi Mustang around, but it'll be great for a daily driver and show car.
Old 12/12/07, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
What does Hellion and STS think about Granatelli

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video_detail.php?mId=3245
I don't mean to be picky, but I have been following this thread from the beginning. What exactly does that video have to do with this turbo thread? All I heard mention was the tuners and suspension parts?
Old 12/12/07, 06:50 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Trooper hit the nail on the head.
You are both wrong, an 8psi spring means that it wil not start to compress until 8 psi. so anything under that presure it will remain closed.
Old 12/12/07, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

You are both wrong, an 8psi spring means that it wil not start to compress until 8 psi. so anything under that presure it will remain closed.
Fine, for you I will go back to my GMS magic fairy dust. The magic fairy dust makes the laws of physics vanish and makes springs instantly compress in the blink of an eye.
Old 12/12/07, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JRay05stang
I don't mean to be picky, but I have been following this thread from the beginning. What exactly does that video have to do with this turbo thread? All I heard mention was the tuners and suspension parts?
Old 12/12/07, 07:34 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Fine, for you I will go back to my GMS magic fairy dust. The magic fairy dust makes the laws of physics vanish and makes springs instantly compress in the blink of an eye.
Do you honestly not understand how springs work and can be designed to hold until a certain amount of force? or are you just going along with your sig quote?

Obviously having a wastegate or a boost controller is not part of the problem he is having.

a boost controller is only designed to allow you to manually set the presure at a higher level then your spring at any given time.

if you have a 8psi spring you cannot set the boost controller to anything less then 8psi because the spring will hold it until that presure... but you can set it to 8 or 10 or 20 or whatever. and it will hold the spring closed manually until the set psi is reached.
Old 12/12/07, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
He said it had something to do with what turbonetics and hellion thinks about the company but I found the video a little off topic because a turbo was never mentioned?
Old 12/12/07, 07:54 PM
Former Vendor

That is what I keep telling them.
Old 12/12/07, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor

This theory assumes the spring creeps before 6psi when in fact Tial rates the spring to begin opening at "K" "K" being the rating that Tial said the spring would begin to give
Old 12/12/07, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JRay05stang
Mike Murillo from STS is not going to push GMS turbo's but you can call him and ask him over the phone

Jon from Hellion uses the exact same Turbo so we know what he will say.

My point was more generic in that both the Hellion guy and the STS turbo guy were willing to say GMS makes great stuff. I can add Tom to that list too
Old 12/12/07, 08:04 PM
Former Vendor

YEP
Old 12/12/07, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I am the one who told Tom that the wastegate valve begins to open gradually at about 3 psi and is fully open as boost reaches 8 psi because this is exactly what happens. I know because in a former life I had a 522 rwhp single turbo Supra on which I spent hundreds of hours experimenting and testing. It had a Turbonetics Racegate. To observe the action of the wastegate I removed it and attached a pressure line with an inline gauge to the side port on the actuator. As I recall I was running a 9 psi spring. As I slowly increased the pressure I could see the wastegate valve begin to unseat at approximately 3 psi and fully open by 9 psi, much like a camshaft opening an intake valve.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install