GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/07, 06:37 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Granatelli
Tom - Send me the turbo so I can make sure it gets the proper attention it needs. If you send it to Turbonetics (let me have the tracking number so I can stay on top of them)

As for the hose off the turbo - The instruction (I Wrote) say off the turbo. when you and I spoke I told you it did not matter ONCE THE CAR WAS IN BOOST.

When you are at WOT the location is not relevant
All I know is here is what I asked and what you told me:

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Your instructions say to go before the throttle plate. It says to hook up to the 1/8" NPT in the turbo... is that where I should hook up the SIDE of the waste gate to?

In reality the device will work in either place, the turbo or the place you have it now. When we wrote the instructions we felt that too much was being hooked up to the vacuum reference on the Fuel sending unit. Again it works in either location, we talked about that when we first had the telephone convo.

As far as sending back the turbo... I'm not at that step yet. I really don't think anything is wrong with it. If that nut came loose and something separated, there would be noise and marks on the wall from the impellor flopping around. There is neither.
Old 12/17/07, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

On the boost controller I have air can only flow in one direction, so regardless of where the signal comes from the WG diaphragm would never be exposed to vacuum. Granatelli's maybe be the same way.
Old 12/17/07, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

As for the hose off the turbo - The instruction (I Wrote) say off the turbo.
Is this what you used to write the instructions?

Old 12/17/07, 07:06 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
On the boost controller I have air can only flow in one direction, so regardless of where the signal comes from the WG diaphragm would never be exposed to vacuum. Granatelli's maybe be the same way.
The boost controller's instructions call the side port the "boost port" and the top port the "vacuum port":

I'm not sure how the regulator works - I can blow (or suck) through the regulator with the plugs installed (from it adjusted fully counter-clockwise to fully clockwise).

I know how it's SUPPOSED to work... at 8psi (what I will have it set at), it is supposed to shut, removing boost from the top port. I just don't know HOW it does it.

I called Turbonetics and they said it's ok that I can blow through it.

Another set-back: The waste gate's fittings are 1/4" and can't be changed. The boost controller's hose and fittings are smaller. I'll have to stop at Auto Zone to get some fitting reducers after I come off of the WG.
Old 12/17/07, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

The suspense is killing us.
Old 12/17/07, 07:43 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
The suspense is killing us.
I know what you mean!

On top of all this, I promised a certain someone I wouldn't work on the cars through the holidays!
Old 12/17/07, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I know what you mean!

On top of all this, I promised a certain someone I wouldn't work on the cars through the holidays!

better hold true to that my brother.
Old 12/17/07, 07:56 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
better hold true to that my brother.
You're right... it'll keep my wife from getting mad at me.

Plus I'll have more time to spend with my girlfriend!

Just kidding...

EDIT: I just showed her this and she didn't laugh...
Old 12/17/07, 09:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're right... it'll keep my wife from getting mad at me.

Plus I'll have more time to spend with my girlfriend!

Just kidding...

Old 12/18/07, 05:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Old 12/18/07, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I know what you mean!

All kidding aside you can hook up the controller in 5 minutes. You don't need to do the full install into the cabin to see what effect it will have. Just connect the hoses and leave the controller in the engine bay temporarily. DO IT!
Old 12/18/07, 12:19 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Is this what you used to write the instructions?

i don't understand the question. Are you asking me if we hand write each set of instructions? The instructions are pretty detailed.
http://67.199.19.45/pdf/manuals/manual71.pdf
Old 12/18/07, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kind of makes me not want a turbo.
Old 12/18/07, 01:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Pwny
Now, now, no reason to talk crazy!
Old 12/18/07, 01:45 PM
GTR Member

Why? After this thread, we'll have all the answers!

One of the Transportation Mechanics at work today asked about the car and I tried to give him a quick overview. Yeah, right! They work on busses and trams with turbochargers.

I have been told by several people NOT to hook the vacuum line directly to the top of the WG or I'd make something like 25psi. If that is true, and if hooking to the side of the WG has the opposite effect (which it does since it lowered my max boost from 13psi to 6psi).

He said that hooking directly to manifold vacuum, instead of venturi vacuum (what he called it) at the turbo, would definitely have some effect on spooling. How much he wasn't sure.

The one thing I've never tried is moving the pressure line from the manifold down to the turbo without making any other changes. I will try this before I install the boost controller.

I just need time. Tonight is a no go, due to a talent show at my daughter's school.

Maybe tomorrow?
Old 12/18/07, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

One of the Transportation Mechanics at work today asked about the car and I tried to give him a quick overview. Yeah, right! They work on busses and trams with turbochargers.

I have been told by several people NOT to hook the vacuum line directly to the top of the WG or I'd make something like 25psi. If that is true, and if hooking to the side of the WG has the opposite effect (which it does since it lowered my max boost from 13psi to 6psi).

He said that hooking directly to manifold vacuum, instead of venturi vacuum (what he called it) at the turbo, would definitely have some effect on spooling. How much he wasn't sure.

The one thing I've never tried is moving the pressure line from the manifold down to the turbo without making any other changes. I will try this before I install the boost controller.

I just need time. Tonight is a no go, due to a talent show at my daughter's school.

Maybe tomorrow?
I'm cheering for you man. I hope you get everything sorted out.
Old 12/18/07, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

i don't understand the question. Are you asking me if we hand write each set of instructions? The instructions are pretty detailed.
http://67.199.19.45/pdf/manuals/manual71.pdf
It's a copy machine. Ba-zing!
Old 12/18/07, 02:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+2

Then again we'll be able to ask Tom, cause by the end of all of this he'll be able to troubleshoot any problem that might come up. AND make sense of it all

I'm pulling for you that your pony gets fixed and soon !!
Old 12/18/07, 04:40 PM
Former Vendor

I can see why you would say that but look at it like this. We have sold 14 more kits since Tom got his. Not one has had an issue. While that might not make Tom happy the fact still remains
1. I still have not been given a chance to see any of the parts (BOV, WG or turbo)
2. Tom listens to me but rarely follows my advice. Like he said the turbo turns so he assumes nothing is wrong with it . He kinda makes it hard to help. The forums are great for help but in this case like many other times - too many opinions are like too many cooks in the kitchen
3. 80% of our customer are not running bost controllers
Old 12/18/07, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor

Maybe tomorrow?
And again like I have said several times before, once you go WOT there is no difference in the 2 locations. Image a tube under pressure. The pressure should be the same in the tube no matter where you read it. When you are WOT, from the outlet of the turbo to the top of the intake valve the pressure should be the same.

For the purists yes there is a small pressure drop through the intercooler

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install