GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/07, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the WG is stuck open there are bolts in there that can come loose and get wedged into the valve, that would explain what’s going on I think.
Old 12/15/07, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Tom did the gate come with this ring?
Old 12/15/07, 04:39 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
Tom did the gate come with this ring?
No ring like that at all.

The WG had a flange that mated to a flange on the exhaust. Then a clamp went around both flanges. That's it.

I guess it would only take me a minute to take off the WG to inspect it, like was mentioned earlier.
Old 12/15/07, 04:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excuse the interuption, please. But, this thread is sure scaring the heck out of me. I originally started, way back 20 pages ago, and some 380+ posts ago, what I thought would be a great how to experience. Now three words come to mind; DONT DO IT! Do all the different set-ups, ie, turbos & superchargers have these issues. I thought the biggest problem would be damaging internals, not putting it in. I only ask, because the wifie gave my the go ahead with powering up the GT. Now I'm not so sure I want to.

Anyway, thx for listinging, now back to your fun filled packed adventurous program. I'll just watch from the sidelines, at a distance.
Old 12/15/07, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Well, there's suction on the side of the WG from the intake manifold at idle. That suction has to get it's air from somewhere.

Is there less suction on the other side of the throttle plate? Maybe that's why they specifically say to hook the WG there, instead of after the throttle plate? Purely a guess.

Or, perhaps it is proof that something in the WG is defective? I'll need to show that video to Tial (email sent).

That suction wouldn't be there with the boost controller hooked up, though! On second thought, maybe it would... since it hooks to the TOP of the wastegate before the boost controller's setting is reached, so that would have to get air from somewhere, too.

The Tial's instructions show a "vent" in the TOP connection to the WG, though, when using a boost controller. Maybe that's where the air is supposed to come from?

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf
The wastegate actuator is a closed dual chamber cannister with the diaphragm sandwiched between the two chambers. There is no connection between the two chambers and no airflow per se. When the engine is in boost air pressure through the side port acts on one side of the diaphragm. In order for the diaphragm to be able to move there is a vent on the other side. The air that is vented is created by the movement of the diaphragm itself and has nothing to do with vacuum/pressure in the intake system. If the diaphragm is leaking there will be airflow through the actuator. That is bad. It functions just like a vacuum advance system on a distributor if you're old enough to remember those.
Old 12/15/07, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Another thought-you can tell if the diaphragm has a hole in it by connecting the vacuum line to the side port and checking for vacuum at the top port. There should be none. However, a leaking diaphragm would probably result in too much boost rather than too little. I'm still baffled as to why there would be suction in the dump tube. If the wastegate valve were not seated properly you would essentially have an exhaust leak and there would be air blowing out, not in. It's all very queer.
Old 12/15/07, 06:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
Excuse the interuption, please. But, this thread is sure scaring the heck out of me. I originally started, way back 20 pages ago, and some 380+ posts ago, what I thought would be a great how to experience. Now three words come to mind; DONT DO IT! Do all the different set-ups, ie, turbos & superchargers have these issues. I thought the biggest problem would be damaging internals, not putting it in. I only ask, because the wifie gave my the go ahead with powering up the GT. Now I'm not so sure I want to.

Anyway, thx for listinging, now back to your fun filled packed adventurous program. I'll just watch from the sidelines, at a distance.
I don't think this is the norm, Dave! If somebody out there would get a bad part, it would be me!
Old 12/15/07, 06:06 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
Another thought-you can tell if the diaphragm has a hole in it by connecting the vacuum line to the side port and checking for vacuum at the top port. There should be none. However, a leaking diaphragm would probably result in too much boost rather than too little. I'm still baffled as to why there would be suction in the dump tube. If the wastegate valve were not seated properly you would essentially have an exhaust leak and there would be air blowing out, not in. It's all very queer.
I can throw my vacuum gauge on the top port tomorrow at idle to see if there is vacuum there with the side of the WG hooked up.

And I know what you are saying... there is no air blowing out when revving up the engine. If the valve wasn't seated properly, you would think it would be blowing out.
Old 12/15/07, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
Or you can stick your finger on it and see if its "sucking" right? If the valve was stuck open or is not seating it will loose boost from the leak, it will also cause the turbo to work harder to make boost thus killing spool time.
Old 12/15/07, 06:17 PM
GTR Member

Or you can stick your finger on it and see if its "sucking" right? If the valve was stuck open or is not seating it will loose boost from the leak, it will also cause the turbo to work harder to make boost thus killing spool time.
I can just stick the gauge on really quick and video how/if the needle moves at idle and during revving.

I'm also interested in seeing Tial's reply to the email I sent showing the videos.
Old 12/15/07, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

No ring like that at all.

The WG had a flange that mated to a flange on the exhaust. Then a clamp went around both flanges. That's it.

I guess it would only take me a minute to take off the WG to inspect it, like was mentioned earlier.
Included with every Tial V44:

V44 Assembly
V44 Valve Seat
Inlet V-band clamp
Inlet Flange
Outlet V-Band Clamp
Outlet Flange
2 TiAL Air Fittings
http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg_44.htm
Old 12/15/07, 06:33 PM
GTR Member

I can just stick the gauge on really quick and video how/if the needle moves at idle and during revving.
I just hooked up the vacuum/boost gauge to the top port of the WG... the side port is still connected to the intake manifold.

No movement of the needle at all. My wife also watched as I revved it up and the needle didn't even blip.
Old 12/15/07, 06:34 PM
GTR Member

Included with every Tial V44:

V44 Assembly
V44 Valve Seat
Inlet V-band clamp
Inlet Flange
Outlet V-Band Clamp
Outlet Flange
2 TiAL Air Fittings
http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg_44.htm
What you see in this picture is what I had in the box (except mine isn't red). Those clamps just went around the WG's flanges and the exhaust pipe's flanges (one being the dump).

Old 12/15/07, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

hehe that was supposed to be a pm...
Old 12/15/07, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I just hooked up the vacuum/boost gauge to the top port of the WG... the side port is still connected to the intake manifold.

No movement of the needle at all. My wife also watched as I revved it up and the needle didn't even blip.
So what does this prove or disprove?
Old 12/15/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok it looks like the seats were missing from the wastegate. I think Tom will have to pull it from the car to make sure.
Old 12/15/07, 07:40 PM
GTR Member

Ok it looks like the seats were missing from the wastegate. I think Tom will have to pull it from the car to make sure.
Here's your list:

V44 Assembly
V44 Valve Seat
Inlet V-band clamp
Inlet Flange
Outlet V-Band Clamp
Outlet Flange
2 TiAL Air Fittings

The Inlet Flange and Outlet Flange were removed from the box to weld to the exhaust pipe and dump.

I used the Inlet V-Band Clamp to attach the V44 Assembly to the Inlet Flange on the exhaust pipe, and the Outlet V-Band Clamp to attach the dump to the WG.

I installed the 2 Tial Air Fittings to the WG.

I never installed anything else... if I needed to install the V44 Valve Seat, then it was missing.

I will pull off the WG tomorrow to take a look... would the Valve Seat have been loose until the clamp was tightened? or could it have been installed on the WG already without me knowing?
Old 12/15/07, 07:47 PM
GTR Member

So what does this prove or disprove?
That there isn't a hole in the WG's diaphragm?
Old 12/15/07, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's your list:

V44 Assembly
V44 Valve Seat
Inlet V-band clamp
Inlet Flange
Outlet V-Band Clamp
Outlet Flange
2 TiAL Air Fittings

The Inlet Flange and Outlet Flange were removed from the box to weld to the exhaust pipe and dump.

I used the Inlet V-Band Clamp to attach the V44 Assembly to the Inlet Flange on the exhaust pipe, and the Outlet V-Band Clamp to attach the dump to the WG.

I installed the 2 Tial Air Fittings to the WG.

I never installed anything else... if I needed to install the V44 Valve Seat, then it was missing.

I will pull off the WG tomorrow to take a look... would the Valve Seat have been loose until the clamp was tightened? or could it have been installed on the WG already without me knowing?
They look like they have to be installed when you install the WG, does that make sense?
Old 12/15/07, 08:00 PM
GTR Member

They look like they have to be installed when you install the WG, does that make sense?
If the valve seat was something I had to sandwich between the flange on the exhaust pipe and the flange on the WG, then that is something I did not do (since there was nothing else in the box).

I laid the WG's flange against the exhaust pipe's flange, installed the clamp, and tightened it.

There were no instructions in the WG box for me to look at, so I didn't know if I was doing it right or wrong.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install