Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/07, 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangshadow
LOL
I was just going to type something about all the Mountain Dew
I was wondering what Chuck was talking about. Nowwww I see.

You guys should see how much I keep stashed away in my apartment.
Old 11/12/07, 11:08 AM
GTR Member

Yeah... that's from several days... I just keep stacking them there instead of throwing them away for some reason.
Old 11/12/07, 11:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Yeah... that's from several days... I just keep stacking them there instead of throwing them away for some reason.
Apparently not **** about keeping things clean.
Old 11/12/07, 01:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Apparently not **** about keeping things clean.
I'll be **** about the car, then I'll clean up the garage.

Priorities!
Old 11/12/07, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I do have a wastegate question for any turbo people: There is a 1/8" NPT hole in the turbo for a fitting and two holes for fittings on the wastegate (1 on the top, and 1 on the side). The top fitting on the wastegate goes to a boost controller which I won't be using, so that hole is left as a vent.

The instructions say to hook the fitting on the turbo to the side fitting on the wastegate, but there wasn't any pressure hose in the kit.

I talked to J.R. at Granatelli and he said to plug the hole on the turbo and to leave both holes on the wastegate as vents.

Finally to my question (I emailed J.R. already, too):

What's the difference in performance/HP/stress between hooking the turbo to the side hole on the wastegate, or plugging the hole on the turbo and leaving both holes on the wastegate as vents?

Also, I know I leave the top hole in the wastegate as a vent, but should I plug the side hole in the wastegate IF I plug the hole in the turbo??

Hmm I thought the top hole on the wastegate was for an electronic BC, but I could be wrong. The hole on the side of the WG is where I have my manual BC hooked in to vacuum line and T'd to my vac source. Since you are going to run off your WG spring I guess it would be ok to leave them open. Now to that 1/8 npt fitting on your turbo are you talking about your oil feed line? There are no lines running from either turbo to anything but oil feed and return. Some pics may really help here.
Old 11/12/07, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

The car is coming along great. It will be a blast when it is completed.
Old 11/12/07, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Tom, I've been following your progress daily and it looks like a massive undertaking. I admire your perservereance. That said and as meticulous as you are, I'm surprised to see your camcovers aren't painted or powdercoated. Won't that be an almost impossible task to do after the turbo plumbing is installed should you decide to do that?
Old 11/12/07, 03:52 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 2bone123
Hey Tom, I've been following your progress daily and it looks like a massive undertaking. I admire your perservereance. That said and as meticulous as you are, I'm surprised to see your camcovers aren't painted or powdercoated. Won't that be an almost impossible task to do after the turbo plumbing is installed should you decide to do that?
Thanks for the compliments - it is a big project for 1 person with limited help.

The cam covers are covered by the Shaker's engine cover.

Attachment 35477
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install-p1010083.jpg  
Old 11/12/07, 04:09 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
Hmm I thought the top hole on the wastegate was for an electronic BC, but I could be wrong. The hole on the side of the WG is where I have my manual BC hooked in to vacuum line and T'd to my vac source. Since you are going to run off your WG spring I guess it would be ok to leave them open. Now to that 1/8 npt fitting on your turbo are you talking about your oil feed line? There are no lines running from either turbo to anything but oil feed and return. Some pics may really help here.
The oil feed line goes from the top of the turbo down to the oil filter adapter. The hole I'm talking about is here:

Attachment 35478

Here is a picture of the wastegate:

Attachment 35479

J.R. said that a line could run from the turbo to the TOP fitting. That would cause the spring to need more boost to open, so I wouldn't want to do that.

I think he said if it goes to the side fitting from the turbo, it would cause the spring to open sooner, but I don't want that either... I just want 8psi.
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn6690.jpg   Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn6693.jpg  
Old 11/12/07, 04:24 PM
Former Vendor

The oil feed line goes from the top of the turbo down to the oil filter adapter. The hole I'm talking about is here:

Attachment 35478

Attachment 35479

J.R. said that a line could run from the turbo to the TOP fitting. That would cause the spring to need more boost to open, so I wouldn't want to do that.

I think he said if it goes to the side fitting from the turbo, it would cause the spring to open sooner, but I don't want that either... I just want 8psi.
DO NOT PUT BOOST TO THE TOP OF THE WAISTE GATE!!!

That is not good and will over boost. I said you could run VAC/Bst line to the bottom (side) of waistegate. . If you put pressure to the top of the waiste gate you will have a ton of boost in the engine - like 25psi
Old 11/12/07, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli

That is not good and will over boost. I said you could run VAC/Bst line to the bottom (side) of waistegate. . If you put pressure to the top of the waiste gate you will have a ton of boost in the engine - like 25psi

The top is for an electronic BC correct?
Old 11/12/07, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Attachment 35478

Attachment 35479

Ahh ok that looks right, hey is your turbo hot side coated!?
Old 11/12/07, 05:53 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli

I'm not going to put boost to either of the holes in the wastegate.

Sorry if I misunderstood you - I thought you said that SOME people do that to make more PSI - I'm not going to do that, though.

Turbo hole is plugged. Top of wastegate is open. Side of wastegate - open or plugged??

Old 11/12/07, 05:59 PM
GTR Member

Ahh ok that looks right, hey is your turbo hot side coated!?
The pipes that come out of the bottom and side of the hot side of the turbo are coated and wrapped.

The actual hot part of the compressor will be covered with a polished heat shield.
Old 11/12/07, 06:19 PM
Former Vendor

The pipes that come out of the bottom and side of the hot side of the turbo are coated and wrapped.

The actual hot part of the compressor will be covered with a polished heat shield.
Keep up the good work - after you drive it - it will all be worth the effort
Old 11/12/07, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

you should REALLY consider coating it, mine are coated AND covered with a polished heat shield and Im still considering getting two blankets to help with the heat
Old 11/12/07, 07:47 PM
GTR Member

you should REALLY consider coating it, mine are coated AND covered with a polished heat shield and Im still considering getting two blankets to help with the heat
Coat it with what? That 1500 degree paint I have? No way in HELL is that thing coming back out to send some place!

Where would these blankets go?

I do have a huge hole in my hood to help let the heat escape!

Attachment 35512 Attachment 35514

Plus I'll only be at 7 to 8psi, and not 10 (I guess that makes a difference). And with all the heat wrap, more heat goes out the tailpipes.

From all the talking to J.R. and company, heat isn't really an issue with their kit.

Hope they are correct...

Is there more heat with twin turbos?
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn3466.jpg   Granatelli Turbo Install-p1010085.jpg  
Old 11/13/07, 05:55 PM
GTR Member

I did a lot of stuff on the Turbo today. I have a vacation day tomorrow to finish it up!

I just got back from Wal-Mart & Auto Zone - spent $55 for fluids.

7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-20 (an extra quart in case the turbo and lines hold some oil)
2 gallons of Prestone 50/50 Any Make/Any Model coolant
1 jug of windshield washer fluid
1 container of synthetic power steering fluid
1 bottle of Diet Mountain Dew

All the exhaust is finished! But... one of the cats was welded on wrong (figures I would get the one wrong one in existance). It'll still work, for now, but GMS sent me out a new one right away. The only problem is the heat shield is on the wrong side (and it can't be flipped due to a 90 degree piece of pipe attached). I'm not overly concerned about it since there are all ready heat shields on the car right above the cats.

He said if I wanted to take it to a muffler shop to get it fixed today, he would pay the bill - but I opted for a new cat. So, I'll have to replace that one section of pipe later on.

I won't lie - the exhaust was tough. My dad and I worked a long time making sure every clamp was on perfectly and that everything cleared. I even was able to get my muffler tips perfectly straight again!

I dread changing that section of pipe again, but oh well! J.R. has been extremely helpful through the entire install!
Old 11/13/07, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Be sure to snap some pictures when your done tomorrow. Maybe a video in the future? Hope everything works out well
Old 11/13/07, 06:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by officespace56
Be sure to snap some pictures when your done tomorrow. Maybe a video in the future? Hope everything works out well
I wish I would be taking more pictures as I go along, but I'm just doing one thing after another and forget.

I'll definitely have a video when it's all done!

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install