GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/07, 05:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
You must have a leak somewhere on the pressure side.
I think you described that to me in a PM.

I'm still curious as to what a boost controller does. Because I'm still doing ALL the time, what turbo05gt is doing through his boost controller only after 10psi! For every ounce of boost I generate, it goes into that hose to the side of the WG. The more boost generated, the harder it is to generate more boost. Add to that the spring opening at 3psi and it's a losing battle. The boost controller will stop all of that!

It'll be here tomorrow night and I can finally put that to rest.

'Cause I don't know where a leak could be -

- I physically can't get any of the clamps on the couplers any tighter than they already are.
- The BOV looks good (and is designed to seal even tighter under boost).
- The WG looks good (and wouldn't even be included in your test).
- I couldn't see any cracks on the intercooler.
- I spun the turbo and it's smooth as silk without any marks on the housing.

Old 12/16/07, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

It looks fine to me. You must have a leak somewhere on the pressure side.
Or the turbo on the car has an AR much larger than the .81 that is thought to be shipped with the kit.
Old 12/16/07, 06:47 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
Or the turbo on the car has an AR much larger than the .81 that is thought to be shipped with the kit.
Since I can't verify that, that is still a possibility.

Can somebody show me where I can see the AR written on a Turbonetics turbo? I've looked everywhere (except under the heat shield) with and without a mirror.

Would it be stamped on the exhaust side of the turbo, or the intake side?
Old 12/16/07, 07:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I'm still curious as to what a boost controller does.
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that it controls boost
Old 12/16/07, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Since I can't verify that, that is still a possibility.

Can somebody show me where I can see the AR written on a Turbonetics turbo? I've looked everywhere (except under the heat shield) with and without a mirror.

Would it be stamped on the exhaust side of the turbo, or the intake side?

I would give them a call for that, mine are stamped on the ex side
Old 12/16/07, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
A larger AR would be laggier but once it did spool the engine would ultimately make more power than with a smaller AR by virtue of the lower exhaust restriction. A lag is a momentary delay followed by a rush of power. Tom has no rush. Even with the world's laggiest street turbo, if you go WOT at 4500 rpm maximum boost should be nearly instantaneous. Seeing how much force was required to manually push open the WG valve leads me to believe that "premature ejection" of exhaust gas is not the problem. I would further wager that if turbo05gt were to bypass the boost controller and connect the pressure hose directly to the side WG port so that boost was controlled solely by the WG spring, ie. minimum boost, it would still spool rapidly and be all in by 4500.
Old 12/16/07, 07:19 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that it controls boost
Thanks, Dave! I meant I'm curious what it would do in my situation, ya doof!
Old 12/16/07, 07:33 PM
GTR Member

A larger AR would be laggier but once it did spool the engine would ultimately make more power than with a smaller AR by virtue of the lower exhaust restriction. A lag is a momentary delay followed by a rush of power. Tom has no rush. Even with the world's laggiest street turbo, if you go WOT at 4500 rpm maximum boost should be nearly instantaneous. Seeing how much force was required to manually push open the WG valve leads me to believe that "premature ejection" of exhaust gas is not the problem. I would further wager that if turbo05gt were to bypass the boost controller and connect the pressure hose directly to the side WG port so that boost was controlled solely by the WG spring, ie. minimum boost, it would still spool rapidly and be all in by 4500.
It does have a "rush" once the turbo gets going... at least it feels that way, anyway. I know the dyno graph shows otherwise, though.

I flew by a neighbors house on a back road the other day and shifted right behind his house. He called me on the cell phone and said it sounded like a jet. It really does sound awesome sucking in that air and then the BOV going off between shifts.

I'll get some numbers written down showing psi -vs- RPM before and after the boost controller. Better yet, I can velcro the boost gauge by the tach and take some videos so you can see it real time.
Old 12/16/07, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

It does have a "rush" once the turbo gets going... at least it feels that way, anyway. I know the dyno graph shows otherwise, though.
Sure you have a rush. Your car is a lot faster than mine even with middling boost. But when you were running 13 psi the tires should have broken loose in second gear from the huge swell of torque and you should have nearly soiled yourself. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration but your turbo setup should easily produce far more power than is safe on the street. Also, I may be wrong by I don't think most people with turbo Mustangs run boost controllers. I haven't really look into the matter in depth, but from just a casual glance at several kits from various companies I haven't seen that any of them come with controllers. Granatelli's doesn't and he apparently has not had a big call for them.
Old 12/17/07, 12:06 AM
V6 Member

sweet, I want one lol wish i had the spare cash!

how much?
Old 12/17/07, 07:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1mike1
sweet, I want one lol wish i had the spare cash!

how much?
If you have to ask,It's probably not in your budget
Old 12/17/07, 01:40 PM
GTR Member

I got a reply from Tial about the source of the pressure line being before or after the throttle body, and as to why it was sucking the bag into the dump pipe:

The source needs to be PRE throttle body, to avoid exactly what is happening in the video. Also you run the risk of damaging the diaphragm.
I would use the compressor housing as a source if you can, or the intercooler pipe.

What is happening in the video is completely normal because of where the source is taken, the air is being sucked up the valve guide (which is normal) which is causing somewhat of a vacuum leak.
Old 12/17/07, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I got a reply from Tial about the source of the pressure line being before or after the throttle body, and as to why it was sucking the bag into the dump pipe:

The source needs to be PRE throttle body, to avoid exactly what is happening in the video. Also you run the risk of damaging the diaphragm.
I would use the compressor housing as a source if you can, or the intercooler pipe.

What is happening in the video is completely normal because of where the source is taken, the air is being sucked up the valve guide (which is normal) which is causing somewhat of a vacuum leak.
And is this good or bad news? Easy fix?
Old 12/17/07, 01:57 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by JRay05stang
And is this good or bad news? Easy fix?
Well, I can fix the problem of the dump sucking in air. There is a hole in the compressor housing for a 1/8" NPT fitting. That will now be the source of vacuum/pressure for the side of the WG.

Actually, it will also be the source of the boost controller. Then from the boost controller it goes to the side/top of the WG.

I doubt I hurt the diaphragm, but I will be fixing a vacuum leak by making this change.

I still think the side connection is helping the WG open sooner than it should.
Old 12/17/07, 04:17 PM
Former Vendor

Well - I am still at a loss. Like I said I am happy to inspect the turbo
Old 12/17/07, 04:31 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Well - I am still at a loss. Like I said I am happy to inspect the turbo
Well, as soon as I have time, I'll move that line down to the hole in the compressor. Easier said than done, though... kinda hard to get to that hole now, but I'll get it.

I got the boost controller today and even the directions on that say it MUST come before the throttle body... so I guess it really makes a difference.

Here is the way the boost controller gets hooked up:

Out of the turbo compressor to a TEE
One side of the TEE to the SIDE of the WG
The other side of the TEE to the boost controller inlet
Boost controller outlet to the TOP of the WG

If there is absolutely no change to boost levels, then I'll be ready to remove the turbo.
Old 12/17/07, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor

Our instructions do say to hook the waste gate tot he side of the turbo - you and I talked about that.
Old 12/17/07, 05:12 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Our instructions do say to hook the waste gate tot he side of the turbo - you and I talked about that.
Yes, we did talk about that... and you told me it didn't matter. Remember?

Old 12/17/07, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you're going to send the turbo to be inspected send it to turbonetics, not granatelli.
Old 12/17/07, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
If you're going to send the turbo to be inspected send it to turbonetics, not granatelli.
Tom - Send me the turbo so I can make sure it gets the proper attention it needs. If you send it to Turbonetics (let me have the tracking number so I can stay on top of them)

As for the hose off the turbo - The instruction (I Wrote) say off the turbo. when you and I spoke I told you it did not matter ONCE THE CAR WAS IN BOOST.

When you are at WOT the location is not relevant

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install