GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/07, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Ok wait a second, are you guys talking about MANUAL boost controllers? Because my eboost has features and controls that a manual boost controller won't.
Tom is talking manual but what makes E boost make the turbo spool faster then the internal spring will allow
Old 12/14/07, 02:05 PM
GTR Member

BOOST CONTROLLER -

It only goes to 6psi now, so I'll need the boost controller to adjust the car to 8psi anyway, right? So it won't be a waste of money.

WASTE GATE -

Without a boost controller, if the balloon blows up when I stay way under 6psi, then I'll send the WG back to you, JR, for a replacement.

We'll know it's bad since you both are saying it won't open until 6psi, correct?

BLOW OFF VALVE -

You have a different BOV in that video, so I can't see how mine is supposed to work. I will take a video of mine working with my Dad revving up the engine so you can see how it's working on my car. OK?
Old 12/14/07, 02:20 PM
GTR Member

Don't forget to answer my questions from above, but we'll take a break from the bickering.

Here are some pics from when JR met me at PRI. I don't want anybody here to think the car is a piece of junk still sitting in my garage. It still has some power... it's just the spooling rate that we have to fix.

In the second and third pic, you can see the nice patch that JR laid down in 1st and 2nd gear. And those are soft BFGoodrich G-Force T/A's on the car. They hook up extremely well.

Old 12/14/07, 02:50 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
BOOST CONTROLLER -

It only goes to 6psi now, so I'll need the boost controller to adjust the car to 8psi anyway, right? So it won't be a waste of money. ?

I agree 101%. I think a boost control is a GREAT thing. That does not change how it works though

WASTE GATE -

Without a boost controller, if the balloon blows up when I stay way under 6psi, then I'll send the WG back to you, JR, for a replacement.

We'll know it's bad since you both are saying it won't open until 6psi, correct?
That is what I am saying. It might open at 5.8 but not “way under 6psi”

BLOW OFF VALVE -

You have a different BOV in that video, so I can't see how mine is supposed to work. I will take a video of mine working with my Dad revving up the engine so you can see how it's working on my car. OK?

Your is 5 times better the 2 times bigger so it move more air with less valve travel – they still work the same though – opens under vacuum
Old 12/14/07, 02:54 PM
GTR Member

That is what I am saying. It might open at 5.8 but not “way under 6psi”
I'll take it to 3 or 4 psi, where the arguement states that it starts to crack open around that pressure level.

Your is 5 times better the 2 times bigger so it move more air with less valve travel – they still work the same though – opens under vacuum
I'll still take a video of it from the front. Maybe that will tell you something if you detect something wrong with it's operation.
Old 12/14/07, 03:05 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know I am not part of this and if either tom or joe want me to stay out then i will be happy to.

I don't know the manufacturing tolerences that they use on the WG's. but 6psi spring means it is designed to not start to open until 6psi is past.

So if designed correctly it will maintain presure and if you had a ballon on it it will hold 6psi all day long.
Old 12/14/07, 03:14 PM
GTR Member

I know I am not part of this and if either tom or joe want me to stay out then i will be happy to.
I like all the feedback.

I don't know the manufacturing tolerences that they use on the WG's. but 6psi spring means it is designed to not start to open until 6psi is past.
So if designed correctly it will maintain presure and if you had a ballon on it it will hold 6psi all day long.
So, you are saying if I have a balloon on the WG's dump, it should NEVER blow up or pop if I stay under 6psi?

What if I take the car out tomorrow and come back with a blown up balloon? Is that an obviously defective WG?
Old 12/14/07, 03:22 PM
Needs to be more Astony

So, you are saying if I have a balloon on the WG's dump, it should NEVER blow up or pop if I stay under 6psi?
yes theoritically if you put a balloon on the dump and pressured to 6psi the balloon will not fill. but if you do 6.1 or whatever that excess will go in the balloon.

But like i said, i do not know the tolerence they use. so if it starts filling at 5.8 or 5.9 it might be fine as well.
Old 12/14/07, 03:26 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Knight
yes theoritically if you put a balloon on the dump and pressured to 6psi the balloon will not fill. but if you do 6.1 or whatever that excess will go in the balloon.

But like i said, i do not know the tolerence they use. so if it starts filling at 5.8 or 5.9 it might be fine as well.
I just want to make sure it doesn't fill up the balloon at idle or 3psi... or something like that.
Old 12/14/07, 03:28 PM
Needs to be more Astony

If it releases pressure at 3psi then get it replaced asap.

If you can certainly test it at 3, 4, 5, 6 or higher just to see how well its working.
Old 12/14/07, 03:32 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Knight
If it releases pressure at 3psi then get it replaced asap.

If you can certainly test it at 3, 4, 5, 6 or higher just to see how well its working.
I'll post my results tomorrow night.

Then with the boost controller installed, I should be able to pop the crap out of that balloon!
Old 12/14/07, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor

I like all the feedback.

What if I take the car out tomorrow and come back with a blown up balloon? Is that an obviously defective WG?
Tom - if you recall after we took your car for a pass - I put my hand directly on to the exist pipe of the waste gate it is was dam near ice cold (ambient) If the WG was opening at all it would have burned my hand or at minimum been hot to the touch
Old 12/14/07, 03:48 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Tom - if you recall after we took your car for a pass - I put my hand directly on to the exist pipe of the waste gate it is was dam near ice cold (ambient) If the WG was opening at all it would have burned my hand or at minimum been hot to the touch
That's true... so I guess the balloon won't pop!

Unfortunately, this seems to be pointing toward the turbo itself. Then I have to drain the coolant again to get off that stainless pipe. I have to mess with the oil lines... and then try to get the turbo re-installed with all the exhaust pipes already in place.

We'll know more after tomorrow.
Old 12/14/07, 04:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I ever had coin (Like Tom),I would get it professsionally installed while I consumed some frosty beverages
Old 12/14/07, 04:33 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
If I ever had coin (Like Tom),I would get it professsionally installed while I consumed some frosty beverages
You'd need a lot more "coin" to have somebody install it!

Nobody takes the time to install stuff as carefully as I do. You've seen both of my cars, Chuck!

Well, maybe not nobody... but I must have added another 40 steps to the 80+ steps in the instructions to do things that just made me feel good.

Plus, now I know my way around each and every inch of the install from the air cleaner to the tail pipes.
Old 12/14/07, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor

That's true... so I guess the balloon won't pop!

Unfortunately, this seems to be pointing toward the turbo itself. Then I have to drain the coolant again to get off that stainless pipe. I have to mess with the oil lines... and then try to get the turbo re-installed with all the exhaust pipes already in place.

We'll know more after tomorrow.
You should not have to drain all the coolant. The rest - Sorry
Old 12/14/07, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor

You'd need a lot more "coin" to have somebody install it!

Nobody takes the time to install stuff as carefully as I do. You've seen both of my cars, Chuck!

Well, maybe not nobody... but I must have added another 40 steps to the 80+ steps in the instructions to do things that just made me feel good.

Plus, now I know my way around each and every inch of the install from the air cleaner to the tail pipes.
You're hired!!! Scott Beer does work like that as well
Old 12/14/07, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I think we are getting away from the actual problem here, the spooling, JR you’ve admitted there is a problem and no one knows your kit like you do. Can you give Tom what to look at first?

Tom give me a ring.
Old 12/14/07, 05:21 PM
GTR Member

You should not have to drain all the coolant. The rest - Sorry
I'm sure it can be done, just a pain in the ****.

You're hired!!! Scott Beer does work like that as well
I don't think you would make any money having me as an installer!

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
I think we are getting away from the actual problem here, the spooling, JR you’ve admitted there is a problem and no one knows your kit like you do. Can you give Tom what to look at first?

Tom give me a ring.
I kinda wanted to lighten the thread up a bit - if only temporarily.

I'll post my findings with the WG and take a video of the BOV tomorrow.

If only for my own curiosity (and learning), I would still like to see what a boost controller does. From what I've heard, the one I'm getting hooks up to the TOP and SIDE of the WG. I don't know if that makes a difference at all, but I'll find out Monday or Tuesday after it arrives.

After that, if all is the same, we'll have to dig deeper and perhaps the turbo is defective. JR has mentioned that it is a possibility (although very unlikely) that something is slipping in the turbo - maybe he can explain better.

I'm dialing your number right now!
Old 12/14/07, 05:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys's are destoying this thread. I mean, hey the last 37 posts on pages 16 & now 17, are all FACT. What give's. Let's get back to the frolic and nonsense, they way these threads are suppose to go..............

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install