GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/07, 09:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Looking good Tom!

It sure looks like a lot of work, but at least you'll have the satisfaction that the install will be done right.

May as well throw in some HID's since you have the front bumper off.
Old 11/6/07, 09:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Looking good Tom!
May as well throw in some HID's since you have the front bumper off.
Thanks!

Nah... I don't want HID's - I'm trying to keep the car as close to stock as possible.
Old 11/6/07, 10:14 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^haha, now thats just funny. Glad to see that it's coming along well. The small projects are always the irritating ones, because you cant get it just right, and you dont want to mess up something. I broke off a bolt one time, figuring it was a regular bolt...wrong...the parts store didnt have the same bolt, and I had to order another one.
Old 11/6/07, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work Tom Looking forward to your next update
Old 11/6/07, 07:08 PM
GTR Member

Today I finished up modifying the radiator brackets to lean the top of the radiator approximately 3/4" forward. No pics of that, but new holes have to be drilled into each bracket to tilt the radiator forward. This makes a little more room for the turbo and the intake tube that snakes around the coolant reservoir.

I also coated all of the exhaust pipes with 2 coats of DEI Hi-Temp Silicone Coating:

Attachment 35211

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I will now wrap those pipes with black heat wrap, and then coat them again. That silicone coating is also used to seal and protect the wrapping.
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn6647.jpg  
Old 11/7/07, 05:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Why did you not ceramic coat at least the hot parts?
Old 11/7/07, 06:15 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
Why did you not ceramic coat at least the hot parts?
I'm not MADE of money!

Actually, I don't think it's necessary unless I wanted to do it for looks. Granatelli just has you wrap the hot pipes. I'm going the extra step to coat, wrap, and then coat. Plus, it will still look good!
Old 11/7/07, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I'm not MADE of money!

Actually, I don't think it's necessary unless I wanted to do it for looks. Granatelli just has you wrap the hot pipes. I'm going the extra step to coat, wrap, and then coat. Plus, it will still look good!
If you look at his yellow car I believe all his hot parts are ceramic coated aswell, Ceramic has other advantages over wrapping ( I don’t think your temps will be much less than mine ), first you fight corrosion/rust that may be amplified with the wrap due to it trapping moisture. Second you will have to re-rap from time to time and third while it may look nice now wait a year you may not be too happy with it. I think all of my hot parts cost 300 to have coated the shop is up by you I think.
Old 11/7/07, 07:19 AM
GTR Member

If you look at his yellow car I believe all his hot parts are ceramic coated aswell, Ceramic has other advantages over wrapping ( I don’t think your temps will be much less than mine ), first you fight corrosion/rust that may be amplified with the wrap due to it trapping moisture. Second you will have to re-rap from time to time and third while it may look nice now wait a year you may not be too happy with it. I think all of my hot parts cost 300 to have coated the shop is up by you I think.
If I had more time, I might do it. And I very well may in the future, especially if I see it starting to look crappy.

On the other hand, with this silicone coating, it should last longer. It's designed to seal the wrap to keep it from absorbing/trapping moisture.

I'm trying to get this done for a car show on the 15th - but at the same time I don't want to rush.

What's the name of the shop if I decide to get them ceramic coated in the future?
Old 11/7/07, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Nice work Tom. You are very fortunate to have the know how and guts to do this..I envy you my friend Can't wait to see and experience the Turbo someday
Hi Boltzman - Installing our turbo kit or anyone elses is real no more difficult then headers and a centrifugal. I think people in general think the Turbo is like black magic - it is not. 89trooper is doing a FANTASTIC job at cronicalling that
Old 11/7/07, 12:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nice paint job on the pipes. I'm sure the install will look very clean knowing how **** you are about the smallest details.
Old 11/7/07, 12:59 PM
Former Vendor

We wrapped our 05 car in 05. 3 years later it looks just as good. I agree the wrap "in theory" trapps moister - but what moister is there when the exh temps are on average 600F. Hence there is no moister issue. Heat wrapp traps more then twice as much heat "in" the pipe. this spools the turbo faster or should I say keps it spooled
Old 11/7/07, 12:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Nice paint job on the pipes. I'm sure the install will look very clean knowing how **** you are about the smallest details.
It's a curse!
Old 11/7/07, 01:02 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Heat wrapp traps more then twice as much heat "in" the pipe. this spools the turbo faster or should I say keps it spooled
That black silicone coating traps in heat just by itself and can withstand 1500 degree temps.

With the coating, then the wrap, then more coating, I hope to trap more heat in the pipes.

We are going to use a laser temperature reader after the install to measure the temperature at different areas.
Old 11/7/07, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
We wrapped our 05 car in 05. 3 years later it looks just as good. I agree the wrap "in theory" trapps moister - but what moister is there when the exh temps are on average 600F. Hence there is no moister issue. Heat wrapp traps more then twice as much heat "in" the pipe. this spools the turbo faster or should I say keps it spooled
Hmm, but what about when the car is off? Im here in Miami would the humidity here cause issues? Mt hot parts are already coated would I benefit from wrapping?
Old 11/7/07, 07:29 PM
GTR Member

Here's all I had time for tonight:

Attachment 35262

I'm glad that's done.

You are supposed to overlap 1/4". That's 2" wide wrap, so you can see I overlapped more like 1".

It's actually darker than it looks in the picture (I think the flash brightened the wrap up a bit). But it doesn't matter, I'm re-spraying everything with the black silicone coating.

Notice the Hi-Flow cat in the pic?
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Turbo Install-dscn6654.jpg  
Old 11/7/07, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

Tom do the hose clamps stay (permanent) Or will you take them off when its finished? Not sure I like the looks of the clamps, if you need something to keep the ends from unraveling isn't there another less noticeable way?

Nice wrapping Tom, the wrap looks OK to me, and when painted should blend nicely. So far so good Tom, should be a big weekend for the install, can't wait for the pics
Old 11/7/07, 08:09 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
Tom do the hose clamps stay (permanent) Or will you take them off when its finished? Not sure I like the looks of the clamps, if you need something to keep the ends from unraveling isn't there another less noticeable way?

Nice wrapping Tom, the wrap looks OK to me, and when painted should blend nicely. So far so good Tom, should be a big weekend for the install, can't wait for the pics
Yes, they stay.

Well, the only pipes you really see are the two on the top right of the picture by the kitty cat (and you have to look down pretty far to see one of those two).

Of those, only 1 clamp is really obvious when looking in the engine bay:

Attachment 35267 That is the pipe at the very top of the picture above (I took the most time to wrap that one).

But remember, they will be coated black, along with the wrapping.

If any clamp is visible, the "screw" part will be placed where it can't be seen if possible.
Attached Images  
Old 11/8/07, 01:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Here's all I had time for tonight:

Attachment 35262

I'm glad that's done.

You are supposed to overlap 1/4". That's 2" wide wrap, so you can see I overlapped more like 1".

It's actually darker than it looks in the picture (I think the flash brightened the wrap up a bit). But it doesn't matter, I'm re-spraying everything with the black silicone coating.

Notice the Hi-Flow cat in the pic?
Dunno man, that cat might have some restrictions in it. It probably isn't as straight-lined as advertised. You might have to check that out !

I'm surprised your wife let you do all of that in the kitchen(?). OK enough jokes. It looks great. The extra steps that you are taking might not be noticed by everyone else, but you'll know and you'll be happier because of it.

So come on, hurry it up already. The mouse can take it if you're out an extra day or two right ? ( I kid, I kid )
Old 11/8/07, 06:15 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by habu
I'm surprised your wife let you do all of that in the kitchen(?).
They are just there for a place to put them until they go on the car.

I'm taking off an extra day next week (Wednesday) to tie up any loose ends. I'll probably re-install the shaker that day and try to get both cars clean for the car show the next day.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Turbo Install