2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/10, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...77-mustang-ii/
1977 Mustang II Specifications:
Dimensions
Curb weight – 4 cyl coupe -- 2,660 lb

Curb weight -4 cyl hatchback --2,807 lb
Length -- 175″
Height -- 49.6″
Wheelbase -- 96.2″

This is what I wish for, and hope that Ford could take some inspiration from when designing the next gen:
SN65 Mustang

This car is obviously beautiful, but what strikes me about it generally is how low and sleek the original can look with a great stance. I really hate the high beltline look of recent cars and it seems like they are just getting higher and higher. The Camaro so much so that you can't even see out of the thing properly.

Another result of this is that new cars need huge wheels to look properly proportioned now as well because of the massive amount of body. This is why large modern wheels (I think anything over 17-18") look out of place on a vintage resto-mod.

Bring back the long, low, clean and mean look and forget the bloated cartoon car proportions!
Old 10/11/10, 08:25 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreed, I was talking about this with my brother. Imagine MyColor taken to the next level with Ford having a glass cockpit and preloaded skins for the instrument panel with downloadable skins and the ability to load your own skins into the panel display. The centerstack should be the same as well with a big touch screen.

The gauge panel and cetnerstack should also be customizable with whatever inputs/outputs the driver wants - voltage, water temp, mass-air signal, vaccum - whatever is available to the computer as an input (would be nice if Ford would add a performance computer to the navi system). As well as some definable events like the neat trick the LF-A uses when you get over a certain speed and the speedometer collapsing into the tach or like the current car with the whole tacj turing color when you bump the redline.

Last edited by bob; 10/11/10 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10/12/10, 03:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Agreed, I was talking about this with my brother. Imagine MyColor taken to the next level with Ford having a glass cockpit and preloaded skins for the instrument panel with downloadable skins and the ability to load your own skins into the panel display. The centerstack should be the same as well with a big touch screen.

The gauge panel and cetnerstack should also be customizable with whatever inputs/outputs the driver wants - voltage, water temp, mass-air signal, vaccum - whatever is available to the computer as an input (would be nice if Ford would add a performance computer to the navi system). As well as some definable events like the neat trick the LF-A uses when you get over a certain speed and the speedometer collapsing into the tach or like the current car with the whole tacj turing color when you bump the redline.
I also agree. I think this idea is inevitable, and the possibilities are endless. Even imagine how cool a simple Ford Racing skin would be with a huge racing tach graphic and options for viewing and keeping track of your lap/run stats etc.

Like most technology, I think we will start seeing it in more expensive cars first, and then when it becomes cheap enough, it will trickle down to cars like the Mustang. I'm usually against useless gizmos and nonsense when it comes to Mustangs but I think this would be amazing.
Old 10/12/10, 04:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I really hate the high beltline look of recent cars and it seems like they are just getting higher and higher. The Camaro so much so that you can't even see out of the thing properly.

Another result of this is that new cars need huge wheels to look properly proportioned now as well because of the massive amount of body. This is why large modern wheels (I think anything over 17-18") look out of place on a vintage resto-mod.

Bring back the long, low, clean and mean look and forget the bloated cartoon car proportions!
It was once said that the reason the horse in the grill on the Mustang is facing against the normal flow of the race track is because Mustang sets its own direction. if this is true then lets not follow the Challenger, Camaro, 300C, Charger ect. and focus on being Mustang.

Last edited by Brewman; 10/12/10 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10/12/10, 04:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

P.S.
If I see one more 75-85 Monti-Carlo with 28" wheels and 1" profile tires I am going to hurle.
Old 10/12/10, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I didn't wade all the way thru, but the single thing i love between my 06 GT and 07 GT500 is the Shelby seats (as far as the interior goes) .

I love them. Thought about looking for a crashed one to replace the 03's with 'em. So as far as the interior for the 2014 (the next time I am projecting to be in the market) is that the base GT get the same quality seats.

The other stuff I want in my 07 is already available currently (Nav, Homelink)
Old 10/13/10, 05:06 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-Aluminum dead pedal

-Better lateral bolstering on seats (finding this out the hard way more and more!)
Old 10/13/10, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bring back the Factory Sunroof. Not evryone wants a Vert.

Last edited by Brewman; 10/13/10 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10/13/10, 10:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
-Aluminum dead pedal

-Better lateral bolstering on seats (finding this out the hard way more and more!)
Good one! Super cheap for Ford to add, too.

I agree with the bolsters as well. If they are worried about "large" Mustang owners, at least offer a Sports seat upgrade.
Old 10/13/10, 10:51 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Adam
Good one! Super cheap for Ford to add, too.

I agree with the bolsters as well. If they are worried about "large" Mustang owners, at least offer a Sports seat upgrade.
I'm trying to be sensible here. Everyone has to realize that there are things we may want as a community, but the cost will never allow them to come to light.
Old 10/13/10, 11:22 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm trying to be sensible here. Everyone has to realize that there are things we may want as a community, but the cost will never allow them to come to light.
Definitely. Hopefully Ford is reading this thread, we are saving them a few million on market research
Old 10/13/10, 11:33 AM

Dual clutch gearbox, heated seats on GT500, and direct injection
Old 10/13/10, 12:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Updated the OP with suggestions from the thread. Thanks Jonf!
Old 10/13/10, 01:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by germeezy3
Dual clutch gearbox, heated seats on GT500, and direct injection
I'm pretty sure you're going to be happy within a few years.
Old 10/13/10, 02:05 PM
GTR Member

I think the cold weather package will be a very possible option. The 2012 Focus has that as an available option, so this might be a sign of future direction with packages.
Old 10/13/10, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
I'm pretty sure you're going to be happy within a few years.
Do you know something about DCT that we dont??
Old 10/13/10, 09:26 PM
Cobra R Member

MyFord Touch in a 2011 Ford Edge. I think we can pretty much guarantee this is coming in the redesign. Looks badass!

Old 10/13/10, 09:53 PM
GTR Member

Obviously on a more sporty steering wheel than that. I think we might see a variation of MFT that will be more performance oriented. The center of the dual gauge setup might be the area between the speedo & tach, with screens top/bottom in there that are controlled by the 5-way buttons on the wheel.
Old 10/13/10, 10:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Maybe the large center gauge will be a tach with the speedo to the side. I wonder if they would ever go down that road. I think it's safe to assume no one wants a digital tachometer.

Last edited by Adam; 10/13/10 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10/13/10, 10:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obviously on a more sporty steering wheel than that. I think we might see a variation of MFT that will be more performance oriented. The center of the dual gauge setup might be the area between the speedo & tach, with screens top/bottom in there that are controlled by the 5-way buttons on the wheel.
That's what I was going to say. I want MFT in a Mustang, but they need to change the wheel and button layout for the stang. The sync controls on the current wheel are perfect IMO

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?