05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/06, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are the best looking louvers on the market IMO.It's about time someone followed threw with it.WTG SHR excellent work.
Old 9/19/06, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait to replace my MRT louvers with the ones from Silver Horse Racing. It will complete my retro look!

-danny

Old 9/19/06, 10:22 AM

I know CDC makes a cover for the interior side of their window options... Perhaps that would fit?
Old 9/19/06, 11:36 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

I have a question that I didnt find in the thread, if I am wrong just point me in the right direction and I appologize, but are these just permanantly open of can you open and close them? If they can be closed then how does that work? I didnt see anything to do that in the pics. And if they stay open how do you keep water from getting in?
Old 9/19/06, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

They are a single solid piece with no moving parts, so they do not open/close. Basically, they are a paintable, louvered window.
Old 9/19/06, 11:53 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by WarningSLO
They are a single solid piece with no moving parts, so they do not open/close. Basically, they are a paintable, louvered window.
so they arent functional? do they just have glass in those vents so you can see out?
Old 9/19/06, 12:28 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
rrobello, they are formed plastic, I don't recall if they will be available clear or solid, but Marcello's been working on shipping them with a nice tint to them, so they will be see-through, but also paintable. The picture is of the pre-production prototype, which was painted white with black inserts to demonstrate where it could be left un-painted for rear visibility.
Old 9/19/06, 09:43 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool with Jay & Chris on the ball I can kick back and actually get back to making stuff!! Thanks guys, I honestly appreciate it. (seriously!)

LOL - that's too cool....

Anyway, they are right on all counts, we're possibly going to have a solid black piece, but that is up in the air until we can see how the plastic coloring tints work out, so for now I'd say only count on the smoke tint, which we are purchasing direct from BASF pre-mixed to spec.

The "functionality" is that you will be able to see through them - there is no need in 2005+ to have a vent window there that flows air. You can't buy a Mustang without A/C and heat, and while opening a vent there would cut down wind noise at speed, the "can of worms" you'd create with drainage, sealing, noise when closed, etc.. just wouldn't be worth it.

Just as a point of interest, I own a 73 Mach 1 - it retains water in the worst places, has wind noise here and there, basically things were not designed for the "long haul". So when we design something, I always keep in mind how to evacuate water (to avoid rust), how to make it fit (so it doesn't look like it doesn't belong there) etc... basically, while I thought that functioning vents would be "cool" the reality is that you wouldn't probably end up liking the result in the long term.

Also, in 2006, who wants to reach back there to open and close the vent? Now you're adding wiring, motors, more parts to break... remember - K.I.S.S. I just had the joy of replacing a power window regulator in the wife's new to us car today - never had that problem with the manual windows in her 94 Mustang...
Old 9/20/06, 01:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

They look freakin sweet. Can't wait. My only complaint is how the inside looks. When will pre-orders stop???
Old 9/20/06, 08:45 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Pre-Order will end probably in about 6 weeks. It won't be nearly as long as the honeycomb pre-order because we couldn't start showing this one nearly as early as we did with the other, so it's a compacted timeframe.

I guess I'm saying you should get in on it while you can...
Old 9/22/06, 07:48 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Marcello-
Sweet job on the instructions- thanks for taking the time to cut out a window that you knew you would need to stick back in for a couple months, just to show us some pics and get a feel for the install- good job!
Old 9/25/06, 04:15 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks,

As it stands, I have to re-install the glass now - they are predicting rain tomorrow, and we don't have garage space for this one to sit inside.

I have add I was at the mold shop today - temporary setback - the CNC machine that our core and cavity is set to be machined on has a spindle bearing going south... Basically they are seeing chatter in the parts and getting a lot of whine out of it. So, this pushes everything back a few days until they can get new bearings and get the tech in to R&R them. I used to do that work in a previous life, but their machine is under warranty, so I can't touch it without screwing up their warranty.

Oh * another thing *

For everyone who was looking at this and asking for a part that flowed air, you would have been disappointed. Driving the car today without any glass there, the amount of wind noise created at speed, even with the front windows both up, was annoying. I even tried deflecting the air the same way the vent would do if it was in place, and it didn't really change anything. A lot of turbulence there that once you open the hole, makes noise. I know it's water under the bridge now, but it is something I toyed with as well, so I wanted everyone to know the outcome of that experiment.

Ok, back to work, new sequential kits just arrived, have to go install our second set in as many days...
Old 9/25/06, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Thanks,

As it stands, I have to re-install the glass now - they are predicting rain tomorrow, and we don't have garage space for this one to sit inside.

I have add I was at the mold shop today - temporary setback - the CNC machine that our core and cavity is set to be machined on has a spindle bearing going south... Basically they are seeing chatter in the parts and getting a lot of whine out of it. So, this pushes everything back a few days until they can get new bearings and get the tech in to R&R them. I used to do that work in a previous life, but their machine is under warranty, so I can't touch it without screwing up their warranty.

Oh * another thing *

For everyone who was looking at this and asking for a part that flowed air, you would have been disappointed. Driving the car today without any glass there, the amount of wind noise created at speed, even with the front windows both up, was annoying. I even tried deflecting the air the same way the vent would do if it was in place, and it didn't really change anything. A lot of turbulence there that once you open the hole, makes noise. I know it's water under the bridge now, but it is something I toyed with as well, so I wanted everyone to know the outcome of that experiment.

Ok, back to work, new sequential kits just arrived, have to go install our second set in as many days...
Not into wine, is the machine making any rum?
Old 9/25/06, 04:50 PM
GT Member

oh yeah..

I picked up the pre-production buy in off of eBay! Thank you. I am sure impressed with them! I am sure glad you love Mustangs....
Old 9/25/06, 05:48 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by redbullet
Not into wine, is the machine making any rum?
No, but once I did work for Bacardi in Jacksonville. Let's just say my toolbox didn't have any tools in it when I left the last time. As a matter of fact, some would go nice with this Coke right now...

That said, you don't want spindle chatter when running the 3D work on the mold - makes for a less than ideal surface finish on the final product. While a small setback, I'd rather they wait than mangle our mold plates.

Originally Posted by GIG4FUN
I picked up the pre-production buy in off of eBay! Thank you. I am sure impressed with them! I am sure glad you love Mustangs....
It was that or be part of the General's camp back in high school. Since I wasn't big on the El Camino and Grand Prix, and my buddy had the 68 Camaro (he's got two Mustangs now ) it was up to me back in the day to support the Blue Oval. ever since it's been a love-hate relationship with our ponycars.

BTW - inbetween my last post and now, I had time to eat dinner, wash the car of lovebugs, and helped someone install our sequential kit. I need to hit my "That was Easy" button
Old 9/27/06, 10:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Marcello, thanks for emailing me the newest letter regarding the progress of the louvers. I like the idea of offering them pre-painted, as it would make things much easier than having to take it out and get done. Also, I would like to see what you have in mind for the inside of the car to cover up the insides of the louvers too. Keep the info flowing, I'm getting excited, and November is getting closer.
Old 10/2/06, 05:17 AM
legacy Tms Member

I saw gig4fun bought a set off ebay- so I did the same Hope they get your Mill back together soon...I gotta spindle to redo today too- if the Kluber grease came in...
Old 10/2/06, 08:57 AM
Legacy Tms Member

That's the spirit! Everybody jump in!

Jeff,

Pre-painted we are working on. Price won't be set until after sampling is done and Bill has some pieces to play with. But we are working on it as an option. I still think there will be some cars out there that have a bit of sun fade to them where the difference will be visible, but that's why it's an option, and not required (in case you want to color match on-site).

On the grease - sounds to me like someone else has led a life of rebuilding their share of Bridgeports and stuff... that's why I'm so "retentive" about fit and all - I spent 10 years prior to this chasing CNC machines that were out by .0007" when they should have been out by only .0002". It's why I wonder why the simplest of pieces can't be within +/-.010" in this day and age, and why our products will help to change that...
Old 10/2/06, 03:00 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
That's the spirit! Everybody jump in!

on the grease - sounds to me like someone else has led a life of rebuilding their share of Bridgeports and stuff... that's why I'm so "retentive" about fit and all - I spent 10 years prior to this chasing CNC machines that were out by .0007" when they should have been out by only .0002". It's why I wonder why the simplest of pieces can't be within +/-.010" in this day and age, and why our products will help to change that...
bigger stuff here...mostly 50 taper. I do have a cnc bridgeport out in my garage saved from the scrapheap though- took some 'interesting' wiring to get the fanuc servos to run on 110 single phase power
Old 10/2/06, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am all set to pre-order..I just have one last question.

I know I read in an earlier post about getting these professionally installed. Has there been a set estimate on how long/how much it is going to be to get these installed and if it is going to be a pain at all?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass