05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/06, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, the pillar just behind the door and in front of the rear quarter window is the "B" pillar, the "C" pillar is the rear-most section, at the small end of the quarter window. The "A" pillar is in front of the door, at the windshield. At least that's how I've always understood it from 30 years of car mag reading.

You were throwing me off talking about the "C" pillar and then talking about the long vertical side of the window.
Old 9/14/06, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jayguy, you're absolutely right...I should have said the "B" pillar...thanks! I'll change it in the posts...
Old 9/14/06, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mark S.
redbullet, I agree...check your windows and you'll probably see that the longest vertical edge of your rear quarter window almost touches the edge of the "B" pillar...it's like the robot pushed the window forward towards the front of the car (and very slightly up) while installing the rear quarter window(s)...you agree?

Maybe I should have the window installer break the glass on the factory side and re-install it so then they'll match! (hehehehehehehehehe)
I don't really worry about stuff or it would drive me nuts. I do ensure that what I do is correct, but I do know that my 1/4 windows are slightly off, but oh well.
Old 9/14/06, 04:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a problem Mark.

I have been meaning to look at mine, just to see how they came from the factory, but I always forget when I go out to the car. I'll be doing a full detail on it this weekend though, and will probably remember to check them out then.
Old 9/14/06, 05:16 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok guys, this weekend should be the weekend for me to get time to do it. We've been real busy lately, and so I haven't had a chance to leave the phones / office for more than a few minutes at a time. I don't have anything penciled in after Friday afternoon, so we should have some time to do this.

On the pdf, good find, we don't have a DVD for the 05 (have them for every other Ford in the lot though...), so I couldn't pull it up, but what does strike me is the locator pins. They are not part of the glass, and are not listed as separate parts in the initial breakdown drawing. As stated early on, we actually bought OEM glass and quarter panel for fitment / design purposes, and didn't receive any pins, and there are none on the glass. I am guessing that they may actually be like the plastic ones used on the bottom of a windshield, but this weekend should be the tell. If they are removable, they will be able to be re-used most likely on our piece, because we are coming in at the same thickness and have the the same contours as factory even on the backside of the part.

On the other hand - maybe this is why the replacement glass for Mark's car isn't in the same exact location... factory glass has pins to help on the line and replacement FoMoCo doesn't ?? Again, answers as soon as I can "knock out" the job.

In the meantime, I owe an update to our pre-order customers... molds are actually in production now, I was there yesterday to check in on them. Not too much to see yet, but there will be soon enough.
Old 9/14/06, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Marcello, you may be correct...the window installer broke the original glass, which should have had the pins on it...I wonder what he did with the pins...maybe he didn't know where to place them and therefore he "freehanded" the placement of the glass...I need to call him and ask him about the guide pins...he already knows what a pest I am...

jayguy, yeah just check them when you get chance...interested to know if they're positioned okay...
thanks
Old 9/16/06, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

BTW, I was browsing on another Mustang site and I came across the attached photo...taken at the 2004 Sema Show....don't know the specifics...but interesting (check out the quarter window louvers)...I'm sure some of you have seen it before...if so, please disregard...I do prefer Marcello's design...
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-2004semashow.jpg  
Old 9/16/06, 10:15 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Hey Mark,

Yeah, that's the one that I think is posted back in page one or two of this thread, but maybe got wiped when the forum was updated. While it's got the "idea" in the right direction, I never cared for the look of it myself. If I did like it, I would've just bought the rights to manufacture it - but it looks too "soft" in my opinion.

Ok, enough talk - back out to the shop - somebody ( or a lot of somebody's) have been asking for some pictures or something...

Oops - need to charge the camera - just did a shoot the other day and wiped out 1.5 Gb in an hour....
Old 9/16/06, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mark S.
BTW, I browsing on another Mustang site and I came across the attached photo...taken at the 2004 Sema Show....don't know the specifics...but interesting (check out the quarter window louvers)...I'm sure some of you have seen it before...if so, please disregard...I do prefer Marcello's design...
That was the XMP showcar. I e-mailed them over a year ago to see if they were ever going to make those louvers and they said no.
Old 9/16/06, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Chris...roger that.

Marcello, good luck and don't scratch that paint!
Old 9/17/06, 01:20 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Here Is The Installation!!!

Ok guys, I expect anyone reading this who was on the fence to "get off of it" and get in line....

Installation was done today, tools required:
  • T50 Torx bit
  • T20 Torx bit
  • Window Cutting wire (or approved Ford tools)
  • Two pairs of pliers (if using cutting wire)
  • Caulk gun and window urethane
  • Roll of masking tape
  • razor or scraper for cleanup (minimal)
Time required - approximately 2.5 hours for a complete car, not including time to paint pieces if painting them yourself.

And to dispel any and all rumors to the contrary, I did this job myself, with no help, and did NOT scratch the car or otherwise mangle it. Also understand I was doing the photography at the same time I was working, so if you get a friend (recommended) and don't stop to smell the roses, I'd guess it could be done in two hours, and back on the road in 3-4 (you would need to let the urethane set up properly)

That all said, I'm not going to post a step-by-step of the install right now, as that's what I want to work out for the actual instruction set. But it goes pretty easy... basically;
  1. Put windows down (important to not blow out the new vents when installed)
  2. Remove door sill and overhead headliner retainer / A-pillar to B-pillar trim molding
  3. Remove coat hanger and Seat belt
  4. Remove lower seat
  5. Fold down upper seat
  6. Remove lower quarter panel interior trim
  7. Remove upper quarter panel interior trim
  8. Tape around window, I used two layers just to be doubly-safe, but you could get by with a once-around of the quarter panel painted surfaces.
  9. Feed through the cutting wire next to one of the locating pins, then cut around to the other pin. Pull a fresh wire, and repeat for the other half of the window.
  10. Push out the glass (catching it would be helpful here )
  11. Clean up seal area
  12. Re-install interior (yes, before putting the new piece in makes it easier, but it could be done after if you screw up)
  13. Apply new seal to vent window
  14. Pull tape from quarter panel so you can see the lines clearly
  15. Install vent window.
  16. Enjoy.
It's really pretty easy, mostly the car snaps together, and I don't know what the body shop was worried about. Like I said, it's definitely easier with two people, but I wanted to be sure it could be done solo with the minimum of hand tools, and it can.

Side note - Mark and others - the factory glass has pins attached with 3M adhesive to the glass. Factory replacement glass does NOT have these pins, and our vent windows will not either. They are for helping the robot locate the glass, but are not required if you're doing this by hand. A couple of popsicle sticks between the glass and sheetmetal would do the same thing, although it's pretty easy to eyeball it in since you can see all 4 sides at the same time (unlike a windshield).

I'll be honest, this thing looks awesome installed!!

As to the fit, be aware that I had to use 3M adhesive for this since the prototype CANNOT be left in the car in the FL sun without deforming and being ruined (it was shifting even in the small time we were shooting this out in the sun). So while in a couple of the closer shots the gaps might show a little off, the production piece is an EXACT dimensional equivalant to the stock glass, so there will be no issues there. This looked great as it sat, but as usual, I like it to be perfect, so I just wanted everyone to know that in advance that production pieces are going to be about 10x better than the prototype (just like the honeycomb panel was)

Also, the prototype is not semi-transparent like production smoked polycarbonate pieces will be, but I wanted to take a picture of the inside so you can see what kind of view the driver will have - this is the driver's side shot from the driver's seat area. In the dark smoke or black finish, this will look nice inside the car, and could even be painted on the inside if you wanted to match another interior color besides black / grey.

Now I can't wait to get this these into production!!
Attached Images           
Old 9/17/06, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:hea dbob:

Need I say more?

Can't wait to get these installed!

-danny
Old 9/17/06, 02:26 PM
Legacy Tms Member

And a few more....

Enjoy
Attached Images    
Old 9/17/06, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Old 9/17/06, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Finally!! I am on the list!
Old 9/17/06, 03:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Most authentic looking 65/66 style louvers on the market! Congrats, Marcello!
Old 9/17/06, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Freakin sweet. Can't wait to get mine. Fantastic work Marcello.
Old 9/17/06, 05:27 PM
GT Member

Attached Images  
Old 9/17/06, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Ooooh, I likey a LOT! Inside will definetly have to match interior color.
Old 9/17/06, 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kluski
Ooooh, I likey a LOT! Inside will definetly have to match interior color.
An interior piece like the 65/66 fastback (non-functional) with the extior chrome inserts is what I'd like to finish off my look. Reckon I'll have to look into one offing those.

-danny

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass