05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/06, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
No, we can't afford to come out, although I wish we could. Between the MCA show next week and PRI in December,............
I can do the PRI show
Old 8/25/06, 10:47 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We're thinking about it - I downloaded the entry form, haven't made a decision yet, as there are a lot of things to do inbetween now and then.

But it is a strong possibility, I'll put it that way.
Old 8/26/06, 01:02 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Well... here we are, days before the show and it's raining right now, so we're not cutting the glass out today...

On the plus side, you asked for it, so here it is:

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/webstore/cart.php

Look under 2005/08 Exterior appearance. More detailed pictures of them are there as well. The white is actually painted, but stuck on for photos (hence the photoshopping of the shadow below) otherwise, you're looking at the final approved design that is going to production. Remember they will be dark smoke tinted, and can be painted to match as the owner sees fit - although to be honest I'm leaning towards installing as-molded on our car, I like the dark contrast of the glass against the white paint. (I of course reserve the right to change my mind at any time )

Pre-Order priced at 109.00 !! I expect to see some of you who have been asking for the pre-order list to actually sign-up now

Oh and I finally got it done, so now we can say - US Patent Pending too!
(One of the reasons we had to add lens flare lighting to our previous preview pictures)
Attached Images   
Old 8/26/06, 01:18 PM
GT Member

YOU ARE THE MAN

I'll be on that list quick, just like the rear panel one.

You are going to end up with all my mod money, except the SHAKER HOOD

Old 8/26/06, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

so it isnt flush with the body, but recessed a little bit? would it be hard to install it flush?
Old 8/26/06, 01:34 PM
Legacy Tms Member

"Recessed" compared to what is on the market, flush fit is what it is though. It is even the same thickness as the factory glass. Sorry for any confusion, maybe I should re-word that a little bit...

Given your question / suggestion, I actually changed it on our website, thanks. Naming these parts (and P/N's etc) sometimes is as difficult as designing them...
Old 8/26/06, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

well, i am looking at this:
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/web...s/IMG_3032.jpg

it appears that it isnt flush but recessed past the body a little bit. that coupled with the appearance of shadow and the fact that i can tell where on this picture:
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/web...s/IMG_3042.jpg
the louvers end and the body begins leads me to believe it isnt really flush
Old 8/26/06, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

****! and I just spent 60 dollars getting my CDC louvers painted! I might order them anyway next pay check. Just to get the low price!
Old 8/26/06, 02:11 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
well, i am looking at this:
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/web...s/IMG_3032.jpg

it appears that it isnt flush but recessed past the body a little bit. that coupled with the appearance of shadow and the fact that i can tell where on this picture:
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/web...s/IMG_3042.jpg
the louvers end and the body begins leads me to believe it isnt really flush
Alex,

Like I said, they are flush-fit pieces. I specifically stated above that I did some photoshopping of the one image to give a good representation because it is raining cats and dogs here today and we can't do the install. By the time the white was drying, it was too late, the storm was inbound for us.

When better pictures are available with no digital enhancement, I'll post them. Some people in this thread have been waiting since last December for it to get this far, so cut me a little slack if I rushed some shots today to get more information out there. I didn't post the shots and say "unaltered original images" I clearly said I was playing with it a bit to hide the shadow cast by it being stuck on top of the glass rather than replacing it.
Old 8/26/06, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry, I wasnt trying to get all over you about it. I am just as excited about getting one of these as anyone. Sorry if i came out as trying to rush you or not appreciating you putting up the pics
Old 8/26/06, 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Will they come prepainted for 109? Can you actually see out of them? How much do you think a body shop will charge to install?
Old 8/26/06, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

You will need a glass guy to install them right? Not just a body shop?
Old 8/26/06, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Marcello, you are the man!!! Please put me on the top of the list (this is my thread I started, lol!), for the pre-order. I want a set.
Old 8/26/06, 03:34 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Alex, no offense taken - I am just really short on time this weekend / week, and was trying to do what I could. I was just re-iterating the point that the whole purpose of this project was to end up flush-mounted, and anything less was not what we were after. (so if I'm a bit wound up, please forgive me - after we get to the show I'll probably be much, much better).

Jeff - it's up to you man - to be # 1 on the list just requires a visit to our website and putting yourself down for a set in the webstore

Leo, the price will always be unpainted. We are not currently planning to offer them pre-painted. Since we feel a large number of our customers are going to have them professionally installed, they might as well have them color matched at that time. At this point, some of the cars are already approaching 2 years old, and believe me when I tell you there is a lot of shift in the color from fading and age in even that time. (We've seen it in as short as 4 months here in FL) A pre-painted piece would just be a nightmare to inventory and would drive the cost up.

Adam, most body shops will be equipped to do this, but glass shops also could do the install. I don't want to speak for them, as the directions will be written for the average guy in his driveway doing it without any help.
Old 8/26/06, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Marcello, do you guys have the instructions written up yet? If so could you post them so we can see just how involved the install is.
Old 8/26/06, 04:09 PM
V6 Member

nice!

ordered mine.

/signed
Old 8/26/06, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Install could be a bit rough...I'm the one who has one corner of my right rear quarter window that is not flush (from the factory--sticks out about an eighth of an inch...noticeable if you point it out to someone)...the dealer said that the job can be done...however, it will involve removing quite bit of inside trim, the back seat, etc., then they have have to cut the urethane sealing the window out very carefully as to not ruin the paint on the outside. Another customer complained of some dirt in his rear quarter glass and they removed it, however, they did cause some damage to the outside paint and his car was in the shop being re-painted. I don't, at least at this time, want to go through that with mine. In my case, they would have to figure out why my one corner of the glass will not seat flush with the body...but the bottom line is that this is "not a piece of cake" to do.

It will be interesting to see how Marcello (SilverHorseRacing) does it and what are the instructions in removing the rear quarter glass (and how easy or hard of a task it really is)...I really do like those louvres.
Old 8/26/06, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Done deal... order #60
Old 8/26/06, 10:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Here we go guys! Just got back from a wedding that was planned months ago (not mine) and I see we have some takers willing to step up to the plate (yes I do wedding photography as well if you need it done at a discount rate - just a hobby for me though - this is the full time thing)

Anyway, on the install - there are no directions writen up yet. The quarter glass might get a pictoral by Wednesday if weather cooperates, but if not, it will have to wait until we get back.

On the flip side of it, I was a service tech for CNC equipment for years, and always had those who were in awe of my ability to actually fix what was broken. I will leave you with this for the evening (it served me well for many years) : If somebody put this thing together, I sure as hell can take it apart and fix it, and put it back together again. So I'm sure installing this is going to be more work than the "stick-on" solutions that exist, but that's part of the point of this product, as it will be worth the work. I can see a lot better in person what this is going to be than what can be conveyed in some shoddy pictures with uncontrolled lighting, and believe me when I say I am even impressed with this. Installing superchargers and cams isn't a ten minute job either, but it seems a lot of us are willing to put in the effort to get the results we are looking for.
Old 8/27/06, 01:04 AM

I am ecstatic that this is finally coming to fruition. I applaud your comittment to the community by keeping us all informed along the way as well as the forsight to see the need for something like this. I happily filled out my order just now.

Now that you're buttered up... Can you tell me an approx. light transmission amount for the tint effect?

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass