05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/06, 01:51 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Minimal loss. The replacement glues in using the same seal as the factory glass, and at over .130" thickness minimum, it is plenty thick for durability. Since plastic, like glass, is not a conductor, heat energy should not pass through it all that differently. If you want I'll be happy to dig up the specs on the thermal differences between the two, but given the exposed surface area and size of the part, I wouldn't expect that you would notice it with the heat turned on in the winter time.

Now if they were open for airflow....
Old 12/24/06, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
few questions dude, how is the visablity when you look out the passanger side, also will this be an install for a collision shop or can you do it yourself. also if we asked could we have them painted before shipment?

i know atleast one of these question has been asked before but i just wanted to clarify before they become avilable
Old 12/24/06, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

okay...this might be a really dumb question...but is this just a louver that goes ontop of the factory glass...or is this a full replacement for the factory quarter window glass
Old 12/24/06, 09:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

it is a full replacement, meaning you have to take out your old glass and install this so it can be flush with the body
Old 12/26/06, 05:46 PM
Legacy Tms Member

They are full replacements for the factory glass - that's the whole point of making these over what's currently available.

R&R basic directions are covered earlier in this thread when I did the job in the driveway using only hand tools ( a total of I think 4).

Pieces are on the way for the painters to quote the work. When we know, our customers will know. When the pricing for this option is released, it will allow everyone to decide whether they want to go with the pre-painted part, or have it painted locally when they receive them. We are recommending anyone with an 05 or anyone who has had their car outside more than 50% of the time should consider painting locally with a custom color match, just due to fading and color shift, along with the fact that many times even the same color car next in line in assembly can vary a little... of course for many the color difference won't be noticable, but there is that possibility, so I want everyone to know about it in advance of ordering pre-painted.
Old 12/26/06, 06:15 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Marcello, My 05 is garaged and has $6k miles on it. I've doubled-down on the Zaino since day 2. I fully understand the risk of paint variance from the factory, as well as plastics absorbing pigment differently from sheetmetal. My CDC pre-painted ducktail is a near perfect match. Do you think I'll be OK ordering pre-painted from you? Maybe that'll be a question for your painter. ETA still sometime in Jan?
Old 12/26/06, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great, the flat black with the tint might be a viable option for us with a black mustang instead of having to paint it. Marcello, well done, you just got my order If I order today, would I be able to get in on the first wave?
Old 12/27/06, 12:19 AM
Legacy Tms Member

05GT - you should be safe. It's just that I get pretty picky about this kind of stuff, yet it is so far outside of our control that I just want people to be aware of it so that we don't start hearing about color mis-match and the like. We will use good products and apply them properly doing the best job possible, but that's the limit of pre-painting w/o going to the trouble of an exact color match in the real world. Anyone who says otherwise is just selling you a load of... well you get the idea. I know that for 98% of customers that it will be just fine, but there's that small percentage that will quibble over it that I am concerned about, because it can take a great product and throw it in the toilet.

Guess we're just trying to put out the disclaimers on the limitations of PTM beforehand. Everyone else who does PTM knows about this, they just aren't as public about it - tends to hurt sales of pre-painted pieces...us on the other hand, we'd rather just sell the piece unpainted, but PTM has become so popular that it is difficult not to offer it in this day and age, especially given the mixing capability of modern equipment to offer good matching to factory colors. And while I say good, I don't say perfect. Heck, when painting a metallic or a pearl just the distance and pressure at the gun can change the hue / laydown of the flake considerably causing all sorts of changes to the perceived color, even when the paint is from the same can! So that's all I'm really talking about here - again, it probably is not an issue, but I just want people to know about it up front what they might be getting into.

Fitz - if you order in the next week or so, you'll be in on the first Tsunami... this wave is getting pretty big. I won't say yours would go out on the first day of shipments, but it would go prior to any regular orders going out - that's part of our promise to pre-orders.
Old 12/27/06, 12:44 AM
GT Member

When painting these parts is offered, how would you like those of us that have pre ordered to contact you with the color code?

Thanks
Old 12/27/06, 12:57 AM
Legacy Tms Member

We'll cover that both here and in the newsletter as soon as it is sorted out. In any case, we'll make sure everyone will be given the option prior to shipment even if we have to call every customer that has a phone number listed, and email the rest one by one...
Old 12/27/06, 01:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm on the list....can't wait!!
Old 12/27/06, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Santa added me to the pre-order list! I can't wait! Now, to paint or not to paint, that is the question....
Old 12/27/06, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by pittperson
Santa added me to the pre-order list! I can't wait! Now, to paint or not to paint, that is the question....
Right now, after seeing these awesome shots, I'm on the "do not paint" side of the fence. Since they look basically clear, they'll look good either way. Can't wait for these to arrive.
Old 1/1/07, 02:55 PM
GT Member

Any updates?

Thanks
Old 1/2/07, 08:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Bump ... What he said ...
Old 1/4/07, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Old 1/4/07, 10:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

:
Old 1/4/07, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Old 1/4/07, 04:09 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got 100% faith he'll be around. I'm hoping that maybe he's busy getting the first few out of the press.

:fingerscrossed:
Old 1/4/07, 04:14 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm all set to receive mine so I can figure out how I'm going to do the paint. Or not. Man, I don't want to wait any more, but for a quality product, it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass