05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/06, 06:59 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting piece of equipment there...might make a easier job of it - then I guess we'll have to have some to send out as loaners or something if it works really well, otherwise the tool will cost as much as the parts!

We pretty much planned that the interior trim would need to come out for this. It staying in would be a plus, but not a requirement. You had to take it out on the 79-93 cars as well, just no way around it. (Of course they had bolts and glue too)

Alright, next post will be from Alabama!
Old 8/29/06, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark S.
redbullet, I had the installer take a look from the backside...he didn't think that was the way to go...but I guess if you take enough of the inside trim out, you just might be able to use that tool...are you going to do it yourself?
I haven't pulled the trim, but if it is the way I think it will be, then that is the tool I am using. I will pull the trim to access the window.
Old 8/29/06, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Roger that redbullet and Marcello...would like to hear how that develops...I did try to "exchange" my GT for another at the dealership...but, of course, with only 1,000 miles on her...she's just another used vehicle and it would cost me another $3K (with taxes) just to get another one of equal value...you know they always say you lose value horribly the minute you drive off the lot. They said they'll fix the window, repaint, etc., whatever is necessary to make it right... I told them, "No thanks, no re-paint for a new car."
Old 8/29/06, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

One more update...the glass installer just called me and said that the only way to avoid damaging the paint is to tape off the quarter window and then place a sheet over the outside around the window frame area and then BREAK the glass (tempered glass will crumble)...then it will be a cinch to remove the urethane from remaining glass clinging to the window frame. Install a new quarter window and no more corner sticking out.
I may take him up on it. $250 for a new "Ford" quarter window...$200 for labor and he said that my dealership deals with him all the time.
Old 8/29/06, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Interesting piece of equipment there...might make a easier job of it - then I guess we'll have to have some to send out as loaners or something if it works really well, otherwise the tool will cost as much as the parts!
The tool is available from your local Snap Off dealer for about $30.
Old 8/29/06, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

One more update...the glass installer just called me and said that the only way to avoid damaging the paint is to tape off the quarter window and then place a sheet over the outside around the window frame area and then BREAK the glass (tempered glass will crumble)...then it will be a cinch to remove the urethane from remaining glass clinging to the window frame. Install a new quarter window and no more corner sticking out.
I may take him up on it. $250 for a new "Ford" quarter window...$200 for labor and he said that my dealership deals with him all the time.
One question, why are you concerned about putting a glass back in?

Second, go here for the glass https://fordparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

or see kevin at Clevenger Ford
Old 8/30/06, 04:35 AM
Bullitt Member

redbullet, the reason I got involved in this thread was because I wanted to see how (and if) the rear quarter window could be removed without damage to the surrounding paint. It all started about 2 weeks after purchasing the new GT when I noticed that one of the corners (lower one facing closing to the front) on the right rear quarter window was sticking out about an eighth of an inch...doesn't sound like much, but when you stand near the front of the car and look down towards the rear quarter window you can definitely see it jutting out (starting about halfway down the C pillar)...looks shoddy (especially for a $29K car). I went to the dealer and glass installers and they said that in removing the rear quarter window (i.e. to keep it intact) there would be the possibility of damage to the outside window frame paint. In fact, one dealer body manager took me inside and showed me a new '06 Redfire GT that had been scratched in this manner and they had to repaint most of this guy's rear quarter panel. Now, I'm being told if they simply break the glass and replace it, my problem should be solved (i,e. virtually no risk of paint damage as long as they tape off the window and protect the surrounding paint). I do think that some of the folks who want to try Marcello's flush louvers want to keep their original glass (if, in fact, they decide to resort back to the stock look)...from what I gather, I don't think that will be possible without them ruining their paint...and they should probably be aware of that.
Old 8/30/06, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't mind breaking the glass, but this brings up another good point. How would you remove the louvers if you wanted to buy new glass and go back to stock? Would you have to destroy the louvers in order to get them out?
Old 8/30/06, 10:18 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the Snap-on tool above, plus removing the inner trim panels and cutting the butyl (or whatever it is called) that holds the glass on from the inside will avoid the damage to the paint, and keep the window intact. How easy this would be with the louvers later on I don't know. It would be more work, and you would have to have someone on the outside to catch the window, but at least in theory it sounds like a good approach.
Old 8/30/06, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

redbullet, the reason I got involved in this thread was because I wanted to see how (and if) the rear quarter window could be removed without damage to the surrounding paint. It all started about 2 weeks after purchasing the new GT when I noticed that one of the corners (lower one facing closing to the front) on the right rear quarter window was sticking out about an eighth of an inch...doesn't sound like much, but when you stand near the front of the car and look down towards the rear quarter window you can definitely see it jutting out (starting about halfway down the C pillar)...looks shoddy (especially for a $29K car). I went to the dealer and glass installers and they said that in removing the rear quarter window (i.e. to keep it intact) there would be the possibility of damage to the outside window frame paint. In fact, one dealer body manager took me inside and showed me a new '06 Redfire GT that had been scratched in this manner and they had to repaint most of this guy's rear quarter panel. Now, I'm being told if they simply break the glass and replace it, my problem should be solved (i,e. virtually no risk of paint damage as long as they tape off the window and protect the surrounding paint). I do think that some of the folks who want to try Marcello's flush louvers want to keep their original glass (if, in fact, they decide to resort back to the stock look)...from what I gather, I don't think that will be possible without them ruining their paint...and they should probably be aware of that.
aw-so. Was jusy wondering why is all.
Old 8/30/06, 08:22 PM
Legacy Tms Member

All is good, and the comments from the dealer's perspective is valuable to have. It's also one of those things again where I think that they see it being "more than it is worth" to them, hence shying away from it. When I worked for a dealer years ago, I had my "cherry-picking" jobs that I loved, and the ones that I hated because I could "only" make book time on them. (Lincoln LSC A/C used to pay 13 hours total, I could knock it out in 4 when I was in the mood...)

On the other hand, it is definitely worth it to people like us, so we'll figure it out, document it for others, and build up the instructions from it.

We had a similar situation with the honeycomb / rear medallion install - customers that already had the honeycomb didn't want to remove it to install the rear center, so we devised a way to do the job in 5 minutes with the panel in place that doesn't damage anything.

As always, where there is a will, there's a way.

BTW - We're in Birmingham now - rain from afternoon storms was worse than the "Ernesto" that had everyone worried. It's a long haul from Central FL though, I will say that.

I'll see everyone who's coming there tommorow-Sunday.
Old 8/30/06, 10:18 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Where are you staying?
Old 8/31/06, 02:48 PM

Ordered mine. Can't wait to see the final product. Thanks again.
Old 8/31/06, 09:12 PM
Legacy Tms Member

I'm at the Marriott, thanks to Dave in Tampa helping me out. Otherwise we might have been sleeping in the trailer.

Everyone come by and say hi this weekend. We got rushed on the windows, but you can see the prototype as it sits for the moment, and meet my lovely daughter, who is nothing but joy on this trip... (terrible two's does not start to describe her mood swings...)
Old 8/31/06, 09:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I'm at the Marriott, thanks to Dave in Tampa helping me out. Otherwise we might have been sleeping in the trailer.

Everyone come by and say hi this weekend. We got rushed on the windows, but you can see the prototype as it sits for the moment, and meet my lovely daughter, who is nothing but joy on this trip... (terrible two's does not start to describe her mood swings...)
Pics of the real install???????

-danny
Old 9/1/06, 05:45 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Didn't get a chance before we left with all the preparation and issues with Ernesto scaring our sitter (hence the kids here), etc...

When we get back and settled from the show I'll knock it out.

We actually met someone today who says they went the route of actually cutting in a set of 65-66 pieces to their quarter panels. The finished job sounded cool, but not within the realm of the average DIY'er.

And anyone who stops by and I miss you or I get pulled off on a phone call or something... my apologies in advance. This is our first big show, and we're trying to meet as many people as we can and say hi to our existing and new customers/dealers all at the same time - actually a bit overwhelming to be honest! On the flip side - we're going to have some exclusives coming up here very shortly that will be very nice!
Old 9/5/06, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Because I'm (1) Bored and (2) So excited about this product...

My lame attempt at photoshop:

Attachment 8618
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-louvers.jpg  
Old 9/5/06, 05:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WarningSLO
Because I'm (1) Bored and (2) So excited about this product...

Attachment 8618
Nice job! Can't wait to see the 'real' ones!

-danny
Old 9/5/06, 08:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WarningSLO

Attachment 8618
Nice job. but... can ya remove the black outline to see what it looks like?
Old 9/5/06, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mymojo
Nice job. but... can ya remove the black outline to see what it looks like?
I could, but you're going to see a black outline when the real thing is installed. There will be a slight gap between the quarter panel and the louvers, thus the black outline.

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass