Search this Thread

Old 8/17/06, 09:21 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The prototype was all I was hoping for.
Old 8/17/06, 09:27 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figured as much, just being a bit of a smart *ss this morning!

Sometimes I have to have a little fun with this, otherwise I'd just go nuts.
Old 8/17/06, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I figured as much, just being a bit of a smart *ss this morning!

Sometimes I have to have a little fun with this, otherwise I'd just go nuts.
Totally cool Marcello. We all need to let loose sometimes, when things get a little hectic. Can't wait for some more pics.
Old 8/17/06, 11:22 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forweard to seeing it at MCA in a few weeks Marcello!

Changing my mind at the last minute, I decided to NOT go with louvers or scoops for my new '06..... so if these are as cool as I hear, I just might get in on that pre-order of yours.....

(as long as the pockets aren't completely empty...)

Are you going to the MOSI show in October??
Old 8/17/06, 04:14 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Chances of a set at the show - 0%

Chances of a prototype driver's side either on the car or in a quarter panel - 100%.

Passenger side only exists in the software world at the moment, no need to build one since it is a mirror of the driver side. (Unless you'd like a 3k set of louvers on your car that can't withstand the elements...) But we will have the one there, possibly mounted on the #05.
if its 'coming soon' anyways, any chance of another peek? how soon till preorder starts? when is the show anyways?

sorry for playing "20 questions"
Old 8/17/06, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
if its 'coming soon' anyways, any chance of another peek? how soon till preorder starts? when is the show anyways?

Old 8/17/06, 05:37 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Yeah, not a prob, I just have to get it done.

Remember, we have to take care of our existing products, customers, etc... all while preparing for our first big show, settling in with our new software, blah, blah, blah...

And of course the rear medallions have already started to arrive, so it might be improtant that we get them moving for customers - seeing as they are here and all taking up shelf space

How about as usual, I'll say we will do what we can as fast as we can and see where it leads?
Old 8/17/06, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429

The show is the big MCA 30th Anniversary show in Birmingham Sep. 1-3. They already have over 1500 cars signed up... and that was a few weeks ago!
Several threads about it in the Southeast section.
Old 8/18/06, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Oh yeah, definitely. Although I am torn on whether to paint and install the prototype or leave it in the "translucent red" and install it... one of the problems being that it will be smoke transparent in finished form, but there is no way to paint that and mount it. It's one of the things I know we need to do for the pre-order to commence. We do have some good shots of it in the spare quarter panel, as the ones posted so far have had a lot of "covering up" of some details. The pictures for the pre-order will not be hidden in any way.
Just a little confused by this post. Are you saying that we won't be able to paint these once they are produced since they will be smoke transparent? If so, are there plans to produce a paintable version?

Thanks for all your hard work.

-TRB
Old 8/18/06, 09:58 AM
Legacy Tms Member

No problem - they will be paintable. The smoke transparent will not affect their ability to receive paint, and the areas that most customers will want to paint will have a slight "sandblast etch" finish to them. The areas that are polished smooth for visibility will also be paintable after normal surface prep, should a customer decide that they want to go this route.

This part is a little different than out others to date, because it can be customized by the customer in so many ways if they choose to. Our Honeycomb panel and fuel doors obviously can be painted, but most customers choose to install them "as is".

This piece can be painted many different ways, or not at all, and look good in any of them - that's part of the dilemna at the moment, trying to decide if we should paint the prototype prior to the MCA show or not...
Old 8/18/06, 10:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'd say paint it, so we all can get an idea how the finished would look in the car. BTW, what color is the quarter panel piece you guys got? Is it Vista Blue by any chance?
Old 8/18/06, 10:46 AM

Yes. Painted would do better since 99% of the customers are going to paint them.
Old 8/18/06, 01:20 PM

+1 Painted
Old 8/18/06, 06:30 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I'd say paint it, so we all can get an idea how the finished would look in the car. BTW, what color is the quarter panel piece you guys got? Is it Vista Blue by any chance?
Primer black, brand new Ford stamped piece.

I'm thinking about it... we will see. Depends on if we get it on the car or not before then... if these computers don't stop driving me nuts I'm going to have to hit the office with a EMP.

Back to it - it's only Friday night...
Old 8/18/06, 06:34 PM

Paint it to match wichever quarterpanel you put it in.
If you use the tester, what how will the installed lovers look on the backside? (I asume you don't have the interior pieces to go with it.)
Old 8/18/06, 06:36 PM

This is going to be a great product!
Old 8/19/06, 08:05 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
Paint it to match wichever quarterpanel you put it in.
If you use the tester, what how will the installed lovers look on the backside? (I asume you don't have the interior pieces to go with it.)
Yeah, kind of why we are leaning toward putting it in the actual car. Not because I can't get a interior sail panel, but it just answers a lot of questions about installation and everything else.
Old 8/19/06, 09:22 PM

Can't wait to see it!
Old 8/21/06, 09:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=52215
Old 8/21/06, 10:23 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Well, on the plus side that bumped EVERY window thread on the exterior mod forum....glad we are making vent window "louvers" and not louevers for the 05+. Additionally, while it may be important to the bean-counters, I don't think I've ever seen this as a prime selling point : "The overall best part about the louever is the customers demand."

- Wow. I need to seriously rethink my marketing ideas and quit proofreading my work...

Anyway, had a meeting today, we were discussing the painting of the prototype. Looks like that might be happening after all, although the prototype doesn't have the complete transparency of the finished product, it will be painted well for this purpose. Now we just have to decide what colors will look good on the #05, since we're going to mount it on the real car.

I'm going to bring along our original prototype honeycomb panel also, so people can see what the difference between proof-of-concept and finished product. Should clear up a lot of the confusion as to finishes and such that come about from SLA prototyping.

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass