05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/06, 06:27 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Danny,

If you have some good pictures, send one my way. If we can do something with aluminum plate, we might be able to make them as an option. Of course, I see visibility going "out the window" but I know that about half of our customers will sarcrifice view for looks on the inside.

Personally though, I think when these are done, they will look pretty good even inside... maybe just some trim on the edges or something to set them off if the customer wants to, or leave them alone for a more "subtle" look.

I remember seeing the 65-66 at MCA a couple weeks ago, but didn't get a good long study of the OEM design - just noticed that you couldn't see through it and moved along to the next car.

Glad everyone likes what they are seeing.
Old 9/17/06, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a good look at the inside trim for the 65 fastback.

Exterior trim inserts.

I'm not looking to making myself a SEMA car, just a ME-MA car ;-)

-danny
Old 9/17/06, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcello, very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(yes, I think my window installer "free-handed" and didn't transfer the original guide pins to the new glass)
Old 9/17/06, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Can U get some close ups ?

U will need to get some grills made for the outside and maybe a surround to fill in the gap.

Is it too late to add a shoulder to fill the gap ?

But I like.......
Old 9/17/06, 07:58 PM
Legacy Tms Member

I'll post some closer shots, but the finish of the paint on the prototype is so-so, and there is no reason to re-sand and refinish it, since I don't expect it to be there for too long

The idea I wanted to convey in the photos was the overall look anyway, which I think you can see.

As to changes - the mold is in production, there are no changes at this point, the design is set. You could run a piece of trim around it, but I wouldn't - you'd run out of room, and lose the whole "flush" fit. If you want to play around, it fits the same as the factory glass, so the room you have there is the same room you'd have with our piece.
Old 9/17/06, 08:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And I have a vert.
Old 9/17/06, 08:25 PM

Thats freakin awesome! A MUST HAVE mod for sure!
Old 9/17/06, 09:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks, the line forms here:

www.silverhorseracing.com/webstore/cart.php

Mark,

He couldn't transfer the pins. There is no locating mark to align to, so if you don't have a jig / fixture set up to precisely locate them, they would be of no value to you.

Doug,

By the mod list, I won't complain. I don't have anything convertible specific - have any requests for when I get bored ?
Old 9/17/06, 09:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

looks good. Only question I have is that in these pictures, part is black and the rest is body color. Any difficulty doing that or is it something any shop could do?
Old 9/17/06, 11:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Thanks, the line forms here:
www.silverhorseracing.com/webstore/cart.php
I ordered mine on Sept 4th!
Old 9/17/06, 11:31 PM
Legacy Tms Member

The black is simulating the area I feel many customers will mask off and not color-match. This will be the "visible" area to see through for most customers.

It shouldn't be difficult to mask it to *not* paint it. If however, you want to two-tone the part, it can be done, just spray the inset color first, then mask the same, then spray body color, then pull masks and clearcoat.

After R/C car bodies as a kid, this is easy... There you had to do a bunch of colors, and do it backwards to end up right since you paint them from the inside out.
Old 9/18/06, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the pre-order newsletter Marcello. I wish all businesses were run with the type of customer service that you run yours with. Between you and Doug @ Bamachips, I'm in exterior and performance mod heaven.
Old 9/18/06, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Marcello, roger on the "pin" info...I told the wife I might still want to have them re-install the window and she was ready to kick me out of the house! I best lay low for awhile...
Old 9/18/06, 11:30 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark S., I did check out my windows this weekend as I was detailing them, and the gap is pretty even all around, about 3mm all 4 sides.

I love the look of these, and can't wait to see the first production set with the smoke tint, and painted, then installed. I wonder how it would look to paint the inside, too. Either to match the exterior color, or maybe to match the interior, not sure which would look better.
Old 9/18/06, 11:33 AM

looks awesome. I can't wait to see how these look on a Black Mustang.

BTW - I was also thinking about the interior aspect of the window. Maybe a speaker like cover would work?
Old 9/18/06, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I think with a black interior, the smoked tint of the louvers will look fine. Other interior colors, maybe not so much. I like the look from the inside though.
Old 9/18/06, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

jayguy, roger that! My longest veritcal side gap is 5mm...or about a 1/16 of an inch more than yours...
Old 9/18/06, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

In light of this new informtion I may have to get in on these. It may be in these 22 pages somewhere but, here goes anyway. Is this material paint friendly?
Old 9/18/06, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
In light off this new informtion I may have to get in on these. It may be in these 22 pages somewhere but, here goes anyway. Is this material paint friendly?
Yes.

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters)

Ok.
Old 9/18/06, 05:08 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Yeah, this thread did get long, didn't it...well, that's development and responding to customer opinions for you! It's all good though, we did hash out a lot of things here early on that went into this being what it is going to be.

Chris is right, paintable no problem, we researched the material early on in the design phase.

Interior I feel will be fine when you see them in the right color, or lack thereof. You can also paint both sides, so there is no need to go to a panel cover unless you don't want to use them at all for visibility and just want the "shaved" look inside. If so, we can visit that subject down the road, but I don't think it will be a high-production part, meaning it will need to be machined / stamped and trimmed in with fabric / speaker cloth, etc.. I'm not saying we will produce the interior piece right now, just that I may revisit it later on once we see how it comes out. I can see it in person here, and in my mind I see it in smoke or black looking good as it is. Of course, that's just my opinion, I've been wrong before (and I'm sure will be again...)

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass