05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/06, 05:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Marcello , do you know what you're doing to my "Instant Gratification Factor" ...
Old 12/13/06, 08:01 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a quick update guys, we're preparing for PRI to start tomorrow:

1) After waxing the #05 for the first time ever, I placed the prototype on the trunk, where it quickly made it's way to the ground, and into pieces... I told everyone it was too fragile to leave outside for long, but didn't realize that it was going to do that to me... that was about 2k out the window... no pun intended... I'm going to be real upset when I sit down and stew about that one, but these things do happen - normally to me.

2) The mold is IN THE PRESS, the material arrived TODAY, and is being dried overnight in the drying oven. It will be loaded in the morning, and they are supposed to run a few test pieces tomorrow to see how initially things look - this does not have "ejector pins" in it yet, but we're not placing them until we are sure the flow and fill is correct. Anyway, hopefully the part will fill out correctly, and if so, they will bring a couple of "still warm" pieces to the show, where we will be able to fit them to the car, as the mold facility is only about an hour from the show (sometimes it pays to manufacture in the USA !!)

Ok, that's all for the moment, I should have more pictures taken at the show that I'll post up on Sunday / Monday when we get back and settled in. I'd do it from the show, but won't have the ability to post pictures from there.
Old 12/13/06, 08:54 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool, but that sucks about the prototype piece. But better that than the mold getting damaged! Glad to know things are progressing, and I'm glad to be buying in the USA. Enjoy the show!
Old 12/16/06, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to the PRI Show today and met up with Marcello and his wife, obviously the better half, at his booth and eyeballed the first pre-production Window Louver.

There have been some changes made from the protype, the angle at which the louver tilts has been changed. The angle now ALLOWS for water to drain and is really, really close to the trunk angle relative from side to side.

The tint color is real close to a legal tint color, like maybe 30% or so. The portion that is supposed to be transparent is tinted. The decision to paint these is going to be hard.

Marcello did paint the inner trim that seals against the body a flat black on the inside to hide the factory weld/bead material.

These look so good I almost got a woody.......

With Marcello's permission I snapped a few pic's with my phone.

1st pic is installed. The car is inside w/legal tint on the windows.

2nd pic is the actual product, not installed. You can see how on either end how much light transmits through. It can't be any darker or the portion desighed to see thru would also be darker. I think it's a good tint. It has a greyish tint and when asked if it could go more towards a blacker shade Marcello said that if it would be more towards the blacker shade that you get dark lines where the angles change.

They look HOT

3rd pic is from the inside out. If you look at the top of the louver you'll get a better idea of the angle of the part and it really looks much better w/o any trim inside than I had anticipated.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-12-16-06_1015.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-12-16-06_1016.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-12-16-06_1017.jpg  
Old 12/16/06, 09:44 PM
I lust for a M24

FABULOUS!
Old 12/16/06, 09:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Please tell me the pre-order will be available in early January.
Old 12/16/06, 10:15 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I cant wait

looks like visibility will be pretty decent
Old 12/17/06, 01:19 AM
Cobra R Member

They look awesome I cant wait. Please oh please be soon. Now I have to figure out who I going to have paint them. Possibillities, possibillities.
Old 12/17/06, 09:06 AM
GT Member

Cool

AWESOME! Thanks for the pics
Old 12/17/06, 09:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

When I think about you I touch myself......
Old 12/17/06, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 12/17/06, 03:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

TOTALLY SPEECHLESS!!!! These louvers are just Marcello, you are the man!!!
Old 12/17/06, 06:05 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks guys. After breaking down the show last night and towing back, today was basically a recovery day - didn't even unload the trailer yet. I have some more pictures I'll post up from our camera, and I'll definitely get this outside to get some pictures of it in the sun to make sure this color is going to be what we want it to be. Other than minor surface imperfections and flow issues which we know are part of the design process, I am very happy with these "first pieces" off the mold. Compared to the "burnt waffle" piece that eventually became our honeycomb panel last year, this piece shot well the first time, and is going to be really nice when it's all squared away.

Tomorrow samples will go off for painters to play with, and we'll get an idea on what pre-paint is going to cost as an option. That said, these really look better than I thought they would without paint (other than on the backside edge) and that was an easy job that only took me 15 minutes in the hotel room to mask and shoot. I think that a lot of people that were leaning in the "must be painted" direction might have to re-think this.

Other than that, I'll be back on the job with them tomorrow. The mold shop has informed me they will be closed between Christmas and New Years, so that's going to push us back a few days, and I couldn't answer them Thursday regarding the some questions I have to answer regarding the final product, so since that happens this week, it'll push any more "sampling" back a couple more days...

But all in all, we're getting close, and I think everyone will be happy with the final production pieces they receive.

Thanks again! We do appreciate it, and I'm glad to have met Glen and our other customers and dealers that stopped by. I think the magazines are about to have a field day with this piece, as all the major players saw it on the car
Old 12/17/06, 06:37 PM
I lust for a M24

I wish my dealer kept me this well informed when I pre-ordered my car!
Old 12/17/06, 06:48 PM
GT Member

Redbullet,

Thanks for those pics, if thats what it's going to look like un painted, I'm leaning towards leaving them as is. Looks Awesome!
Old 12/18/06, 09:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I wish my dealer kept me this well informed when I pre-ordered my car!
How true!!
These pictures just make the wait so much harder but I am willing to wait for a great production piece.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 12/18/06, 10:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by praztek
Redbullet,

Thanks for those pics, if thats what it's going to look like un painted, I'm leaning towards leaving them as is. Looks Awesome!
I think these are gonna be money on my black GT as is
Old 12/18/06, 10:37 AM
V6 Member

Same here!!

Man, I wish I had better patience. I can't wait!!
Old 12/18/06, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Those are freakin' awesome! You are making me into a convert Marcello. Originally I wanted 12 slat louvers, but now I might have to get a pair for my Black Pony.
Old 12/18/06, 02:59 PM
GT Member

SilverHorseRacing,

Do you have any more pics?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass