GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/06, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been following all the GMS discussion with interest.

Ski, looking at your other posts is telling of your MO. Are you a CAI expert and or a player in the biz?
Old 8/15/06, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFChief
Been following all the GMS discussion with interest.

Ski, looking at your other posts is telling of your MO. Are you a CAI expert and or a player in the biz?
He's only an expert if he hasn't actually used , dyno'd or otherwise tested the CAI in question, in which case he knows everything.
Old 8/15/06, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
Yes... because having a handheld tuner is a key to many other mods besides a CAI. Even something simple like changing tire diameter or rear gears requires a tuner to recalibrate the speedo. And you can't even get a dyno tune without one. So why not do it right the first time?
Does anybody really know how to read AND understand anymore? Again, cuz you don't have to spend the 350.00 MORE to get a great benefit...Would the tune be beneficial, nobody in their right mind would say it wouldn't BUT that's not the question here is it....Is the GMS unit a quality piece that gives good horse power WITHOUT a tuner...Yes, and that's all there is too it. All this extra "discussion" doesn't really matter, does it?!
Old 8/15/06, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ski
People tire quickly when they have to scramble around for a straight and honest answer.

If he's as intelligent as some people claim, then he should be able to pick the fly s..t out of the pepper.

How can anyone base their numbers on that claim when the supplier himself directly contradicts it with another claim?

That's the first I've heard of anyone who can 'feel' the difference between 15 hp and 23 hp.

Not in this corner. I'm just trying to prevent people from fulfilling the proverb "There's a sucker born every minute."
You ought to get out more with people that have real muscle cars. Then maybe you would hear more... : )
Old 8/15/06, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by harleybill
You HAVE to include this unit as one of the tops...Your spending 300.00 + for what is basically going to cost you 700.00 for most other units that are just adding a tuner, not to mention the hassle of getting another tune every time you upgrade something (and voiding warranty). You also really need to go to a shop that specializes in tuning and have them dyno you to fully utalize the system (again, not all cars being equal, not all tunes are going to benefit everybody equally). I think we all agree that the other units are also of great quality. You just have to give this dog it's due for the simple purpose of cost per performance increase (best bang for the buck). Is the extra 3-4 hundred bucks worth the difference in claims between the units?
Just because you capitalize "HAVE" doesnt define this as a "top" unit. All we have seen so far is manufacturer claims without much user feedback.

Also, hate to tell ya but ya could "void the warranty" (claim) by using a non stock Mass Air unit just the same as a handheld tuner. You win no battle there buddy.

-Dan
Old 8/15/06, 09:40 PM
Cobra Member

and then we are back to what Don pointed out...

JUST DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

-Dan
Old 8/15/06, 10:10 PM
GT Member

Regarding all the confusion on the CAI/MAS vs. CAI/MAS/TB, it looks to me like JR clarified his CAI & T-Body response on his very next post. Page 5. 15 days ago. No?
Old 8/16/06, 12:29 AM
Bullitt Member

It really doesn't matter what he posts at this point. The bottom line is that the GMS CAI is making at least as much, and in most cases, making much more horsepower than any other CAI out there right now. The problem with these dissenting individuals, in my opinion, is that they are basing any opinions they post solely upon the fact that for whatever reason, they just don't like JR.

Now, in and of itself, this means absolutely nothing with regards to how the GMS CAI performs, and if it were me, and someone just went on and on about not only the quality of the product, but attacking the very character of the individual himself, without ever actually testing the product, well that just leads me to believe that someone is just talking out of their a$$.

I have purchased and installed the GMS CAI. I have also purchased one of their throttle body's, anodized red, mainly because I thought it would look cool, which it did. What I can tell you, is that if you order this CAI, you will not be disappointed. Not only will you not be disappointed, but you will be impressed. Look at the C & L site, look at what the numbers are that they are posting with their CAI and a tune. Now do you think they are going to be posting their lowest numbers on their own website?

http://www.cnlperformance.com/images...05SystemHP.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski
You'll discover how little sense it makes by reading the 5.0 shootout article again. The AMS CAI generated an extra 19 hp over baseline when using a reflashed 91 octane modified tune, and not the stock tune. In addition, GMS claims that his hp gains are possible with 87 octane.

My point of contention is that Granatelli made inconsistent claims regarding the 23.7 hp gain in his posts, and all I'm asking is for him to explain why. On one hand he said that an extra 23.7 hp was made with his CAI/MAF/TB, and than in the next breath he claimed it was made with just his CAI/MAF.

I am not sure why you have such a problem with the numbers I have made it very clear that I quote the numbers as they come in. The numbers in our advertisements are GENERAL. If we say 20hp that means 18 to 22. Is everyone that buys our product going to make the same power every time? NO

Here is a dyno test on a virgin 2006 Mustang with 1200 miles on it. Baselined as stock as can be and then just a cold air installed. Once again the entire process was video taped so the link will be up shortly – Here is the dyno sheet

29hp and 24ft/lbs increase - Again the custom sat there and watched the entire process like a hawk. These number seemed high to me but we back to back'd it and they held up. As you will see in the video, the car in stone stock form was a pig rich 9.8 to one from 4500 to 6000. Our tune keeps the car at a smooth WOT of 12 to 1
First Mod Motor Mustang to 180mph and 190mph at NMRA Legal weight, Current record holder for fastest and quickest Mod Motor Mustang 6.93 @201.42, recognized leaders in Mustang Suspension components for 1979 to 2006 Vehicles, www.granatellimotorsports.com . Avenger Centrifugal Supercharger Coming Soon
Last edited by Granatelli : August 11th, 2006 at 04:00 PM.

You'll see that the gains are not only comparable, as compared to a C & L CAI with a Diablo tune, making almost equal power to what the GMS CAI is making with its' calibrated MAS. As has been said many times, it is achieving the same results as a typical CAI with a tune, without actually modifying any of the factory settings, and the reason for this is because the modifications are made within their recalibrated MAS as opposed to within the stock computer settings.

Everyone keeps going on and on about tuning, well to me, I like that I can use 87 octane fuel if I wanted to, but I'm using 91 octane and I'm not having any problems either. It is my belief that most of the people that frequent these forums won't go beyond a simple CAI and cat-back exhaust system, getting the most "bang-for-the-buck", and in my opinion the GMS CAI is the best alternative. Equal horsepower gains, without modification of the factory settings. As I have said before, everything that I have installed in my car, could be reverted back to stock within a couple of hours if I had to.

Do not be fooled by those that try to tell you that you must have a retune if you want significant gains. The GMS CAI delivers as it promises. Listen to those of us who have actually bought and used this product. And as has been said by JR numerous times, if you aren't satisfied, return it, simple as that. But if you buy and install this CAI, you will come to see that the claims are in fact true, and if you don't, then you're either a liar, or you're dead.

Me, I'm still trying to decide whether or not it looks better with, or without the plenum cover.
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-8-11-2006-2-153.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-8-11-2006-2-160.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-8-11-2006-2-140.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-8-11-2006-2-150.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-8-11-2006-2-151.jpg  

Old 8/16/06, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
The problem with these dissenting individuals, in my opinion, is that they are basing any opinions they post solely upon the fact that for whatever reason, they just don't like JR.

Now, in and of itself, this means absolutely nothing with regards to how the GMS CAI performs, and if it were me, and someone just went on and on about not only the quality of the product, but attacking the very character of the individual himself, without ever actually testing the product, well that just leads me to believe that someone is just talking out of their a$$.
I guess since you're new here, you are allowed to be ignorant of what's gone on prior to your arrival. So, feel free to use this lack of knowledge to disregard "dissenting" posts and send your money to GMS. I'm sure you'll be another satisfied customer.
Old 8/16/06, 12:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess since you're new here, you are allowed to be ignorant of what's gone on prior to your arrival. So, feel free to use this lack of knowledge to disregard "dissenting" posts and send your money to GMS. I'm sure you'll be another satisfied customer.
Why yes, actually I am another satisfied customer, thanks for asking. And actually I consider myself to be fairly knowledgable with regards to cold air intakes. Just because I didn't start frequenting this site uintil recently, don't ***ume that I know not what I speak of.

I'm sure there are others like myself, who actually do research into products before committing to buy, and not just jump at the first flashy upgrade they see. The reason I bought my Corsa's was because I listened to what everyone was saying about their performance, and their no drone. I was this close to buying the bassani's, but at the last minute I decided to listen to the truth, and I'm glad I did. I know everyone has different tastes with regards to sound, but again, I can tell you that performance wise, the GMS CAI is as good if not better than any other CAI out there. Period.
Old 8/16/06, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy for you... even though you missed my point completely.
Old 8/16/06, 01:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Don, what is your point here dude? You know, I come to places like this, to try and learn, from other people's experiences, so that hopefully I can avoid some of the same mistakes, and maybe if I'm lucky, help someone else with a question they have. But it just seems that every post you have made with regards to either GMS in general or JR specifically, has something negative to say, and yet with regards to their product you have no experience whatsoever.

You say I missed your point. On your previous post you called me ignorant. And as far as what's "gone on" prior to my arrival, I'm sure there weren't that many drastic changes from this year or any other year that GMS has been manufacturing racing products. You think that because this is a new unit for the Mustang that GMS is a new company? I put it to each and every one of you that is reading this now. Do a search for "granatelli performance". Look at all the results from all the different retailers, with applications for many different makes and models. This is not something new to them. The folks at GMS have been at this for a long time. If you're like me, listen and learn. Buy this CAI.
Old 8/16/06, 04:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

This thread is like a train wreck, I just can't stop reading - aghhhhh. Even though I decided to go another route, and it really doesn't matter anymore to me, I still keep reading - WHY????
Old 8/16/06, 04:55 AM
Bullitt Member

05GTRedfire,
How hard was it to trim the plenum cover? What did you use?
Old 8/16/06, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFChief
05GTRedfire,
How hard was it to trim the plenum cover? What did you use?
Me personally I just used a utility knife, scored a straight line across a few times, then just bent it back and forth a little until it finally gave way. If I was planning on entering serious car shows I might have done something different, but at the time it just seemed like the easiest.
Old 8/16/06, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

I'm happy for you... even though you missed my point completely.
It is a darn shame isnt it?

The ignorant...

-Dan
Old 8/16/06, 08:38 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ski
I fully understand that dyno numbers will vary even if the runs are performed on identical engines with identical mods under identical conditions

BTW, knowing that anything can be typed into a dyno sheet's 'Comments' section, was the 29 hp and 24 ft-lb. gain produced with or without your TB?

SKI:
I am all for checking numbers but fundamentally it appears as though you don’t care how much proof I put up. I have now dyno’d 3 different cars for you guys on 3 different days, 3 different model years and all three times the customer was witness to the test. Blitz has come here and stated he saw the test for himself and “shadowed” my every move.

I think I have more then substantiated my claim.

In short the dyno sheet says Cold Air Only and that is what is was – stock vs just the cold air added
Old 8/16/06, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

JR

I am amazed at the patience and restraint you have shown after the vicious nature of some of these posts. I believe it has been the right choice to try to respond professionally to these attacks rather than attack back. I can only speak for myself when I say I have apprecisted all the information you have provided regarding your products. I have taken the commentary you included with the recent Dyno sheets as the enthusthiastic promotion of your product. Afterall your not Consumer's Digest you are the owner of the company trying to sell your product to earn your living. For someone to attack you personally for promoting your product to your target audience is just wrong. A similar problem has been occuring on the Shelby GT thread where Amy B from Shelby American has been good enough to answer questions and has been attacked by some TMS members because of their dissatisfaction with the Shelby GT.

My only delay in ordering your product has been my indecision on which combination to buy. I finally have decided to go unpolished CAI and plain TB. I unfortunately will wait for the exhaust due to $$$$ issues.

How do I order straight from GMS and what is the anticipated delivery time?

Again thanks to my fellow TMS members who have posted their personal experiences with the GMS products.
Old 8/16/06, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
It is a darn shame isnt it?

The ignorant...

-Dan
I was thinking the same thing as I read this. You can't keep to the point, you babble about the past and completely ignore the obvious. Someday when you come down from your mountain, maybe you will have something to contribute to this forum. Otherwise, your just wasting space. I guess maybe you can answer some simple questions (maybe???). Do you have the GMS cai/mas? No, then you have no valid opinion. Do you know anybody that has this product. No, then I repeat the last statement. Do you dislike JR. Yes? Who cares. I didn't buy JR, I bought the CAI/MAS (which is a very good value--Oh, did I mention that I HAVE ONE so I can make a judgment! I don't go around talking about bama chips sucking cuz I don't like Alabama or I would sound just as ignorant as you are sounding. Let's keep to the topic and that is the evaluation of the CAI/MAS unit and why it's a great alternative to the much more expensive units that require a tuner. Pretty simple when you keep it in perspective. (of course I can't wait till the next response----Oh, the ignorant...JR fathered my child and he will pay or My tuner is much better than yours cuz it's bigger and i spent a whole lot more so it must be better, so there).... Yep, I can hardly wait.
Old 8/16/06, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
JR,

PM Sent in regard to the CAI. Also, Jim's install procedure for the Granatelli Single STB worked great, and it now clears the Ford Engine Cover on my 2007.
For those that thought our brace would not clear the 2007 here are the photos for the fix

remove front nuts that hold the cover to the t-body

remove wire loom cap holder from studs where the back of the plenum cover is held in place and then lift the cover off both sides

Remove the stud that holds the fuel rail to the intake manifold

re-install the plenum cover and then put the stud you just remove on top and back into the rails

Put the front nuts back on and put the loom back on the rear. You have now lowered the cover by about .400 and this is more then enough claerance for the GMS bars

Before shot

After shots

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???