GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/06, 07:39 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
Was that just the CAI, or was that the CAI and the throttle body?
CAI and T-body
Old 7/31/06, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

And I'm assuming no other mods, or tunes were done to it, besides the throttle body and the CAI with the calibrated MAF. If so, then that's nowhere near the 40hp gain that was claimed in that one article. However, I still think that it would be worth it as an alternative to having to retune your factory parameters, for those of us that don't want to worry about warranty issues. It is certainly very comparable in horsepower gains compared to other systems, but I still don't see any pics, or raves from the guy who got this install done.

So until then, we're still waiting on harley
Old 7/31/06, 08:16 PM
Former Vendor

I am answering so many questions I am getting confused myself. I thought you were referring to the 3.9 Lincoln.

The 40hp was dyno'd with several witnesses. it is not a fluke. Tons of guys have made 25hp with a cold air by itself and the t-body has dyno in several differnt states at 10hp - that is like 35hp so why would you question ours making 40. Our car did have a 3" exhuast on it but it was dyno before and after and both times the 3" exh was on so that shuld not change the figures

To all the people that don't believe the numbers . Look at it like this. We are selling you the best looking Cold Air Intake on the market for the best price you cna find anywhere. If you don't think our calibrated electronics work then you are basically saying the Hitachi, the same company that builds all the MAFs in every 99 to 2007 Ford, does not know what they are doing. In that case just buy the Cold air without our electronics and do it the old way - transfer your electonics and use a flash tool - trust me I am not offerened at all.

we are shipping kits every day so I imagine in the next week someone will come here and give it the thumbs up or down.
Old 7/31/06, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
the guy up the street is here now and we are doing a CAI install and dyno test
23.6hp and 9ft/lbs. Had a glitch in comp on dyno I will post the pics and dyno figs on Monday
Sorry, I assumed everyone was talking about your CAI with and without your throttle body for the 2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L. So the dyno numbers you posted of 23rwhp gains is for your 3.9L version of your CAI? Also I have another question now, since it is my intention to get both the throttle body and your CAI for the 4.6 liter, is there another version of your MAF calibration that was calibrated with the throttle body installed? Does it make a difference?
Old 8/2/06, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor

Sorry, I assumed everyone was talking about your CAI with and without your throttle body for the 2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L. So the dyno numbers you posted of 23rwhp gains is for your 3.9L version of your CAI? Also I have another question now, since it is my intention to get both the throttle body and your CAI for the 4.6 liter, is there another version of your MAF calibration that was calibrated with the throttle body installed? Does it make a difference?
23hp and 9 ft/lbs was on the 05 Mustang

The tunes are all the same - it does not require a different tune
Old 8/2/06, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Questions ....

Do you have any reviews on your product comparing it to other CAI like
C&L etc ....

Also can I use it with a tuner like Predator or SCT?
I like the fact it has openings for NOS and comes polished.
I would like to see some real world reviews from people that have used
your CAI and have done before and after dyno runs.

There is alot of marketing hype about performance gains with CAIs that
really never pan out to be true.
Old 8/2/06, 04:58 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GTRacerX
C&L etc ....

Also can I use it with a tuner like Predator or SCT?
I like the fact it has openings for NOS and comes polished.
I would like to see some real world reviews from people that have used
your CAI and have done before and after dyno runs.

There is alot of marketing hype about performance gains with CAIs that
really never pan out to be true.
Based on your question and the fact that you want to use a SCT or Diablo then any comparisons really don't count. Our CIA is never narrower then 90mm on the inside. This is larger then 90% of the CIA's on the market. If you are not happy we will always refund your money.
Old 8/2/06, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on your question and the fact that you want to use a SCT or Diablo then any comparisons really don't count. Our CIA is never narrower then 90mm on the inside. This is larger then 90% of the CIA's on the market. If you are not happy we will always refund your money.
JR, I have noticed that you truly either don't read these questions or don't understand them.... I sure don't see where he is saying that he is GOING to use a tuner, only if you can and WHAT GAINS can you expect, a very simple and honest question. You gotta get off the defensive big fella and start thinking like a customer. People just don't fully understand everything and want specifics to different combinations. He is right, consumers want facts and the truth and businesses want to sell, even if it means "stretching" the truth. I still get the feeling that your honest and your trying to please people but that your getting frustrated as well. Take 10 and then read these again before you go .
Old 8/2/06, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe this will settle things?

JR, if you can, please just answer the following. Hopefully this will answer everybody's questions?

1. How much HP can be expected with just a CAI?
2. How much HP can be expected with a CAI & your MAS.
3. How much HP can be expected with a t-body? 11?
4. How much HP can be expected with the above 2 and the T-Body? 20, 30, 40, more?

4. With the above, will the addition of a tuner do a little, a lot or not worth the money. Any HP gains or expectations? Expand on this?

5. Is the model of the exhaust your selling (2 1/2" a Cat-back as in the catalog or something different. Cat part is GM-ES0525 -polished mufflers and tips. (+ 15 HP)

6. How much HP can be expected with mas/cai/t-body and exhaust? What is the HP diff between the 2 1/2" and 3" exhausts?

7. Any dyno's of the combinations (yours, independent, who the heck cares?)
Old 8/2/06, 07:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

How much is part # 410040-P1?
How and where do I purchase it?
Old 8/2/06, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Its Easy as 1-2-3

Questions:
C&L etc ....
2. Also can I use it with a tuner like Predator or SCT? Yes or No
Possitive Comment on your product: I like the fact it has openings
for NOS and comes polished.

3. Real world reviews from people that have used your CAI and have done
before and after dyno runs. - In any magazine like: MM&FF, 5.0 Mustang
etc... Or people that have purchase your product and have been
satisfied with the performance gains - and what kind of Power was
achieved. - from any Mustang Forum.
Old 8/2/06, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I have read several of these threads over the past year or so. People want guarantees on HP and torque numbers. There are none. Too many variables. Look how much the stock numbers vary from car to car. This guy has gone above and beyond what most will do just trying to answer all of these threads. He has taken personel attacks from people and still stayed around. Probably won't for long. He made a deal on his throttle body to anyone who wanted to try it. Someone did and it lived up to the numbers he quoted. People still shot it down. I would buy a CAI or any other product based on customer service first and foremost these days. That is getting very hard to find. He is offering you a money back guarantee. Try and get that from C&L. I am happy with my WMS intake but if someone wants to buy it, I will try this intake in a minute.
Old 8/2/06, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Firedude
I have read several of these threads over the past year or so. People want guarantees on HP and torque numbers. There are none. Too many variables. Look how much the stock numbers vary from car to car. This guy has gone above and beyond what most will do just trying to answer all of these threads. He has taken personel attacks from people and still stayed around. Probably won't for long. He made a deal on his throttle body to anyone who wanted to try it. Someone did and it lived up to the numbers he quoted. People still shot it down. I would buy a CAI or any other product based on customer service first and foremost these days. That is getting very hard to find. He is offering you a money back guarantee. Try and get that from C&L. I am happy with my WMS intake but if someone wants to buy it, I will try this intake in a minute.
Well said. I have had my Granatelli CAI and single STB on order for several days now, and I am really looking forward to getting them and trying them out. You can't please all the people all the time, but I also understand that everybody just wants to see a third party dyno test. Someone should do it soon, and if it does what JR says it will (and I believe it will) then this may become the intake of choice.
Old 8/2/06, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTRacerX
Questions:
1. Do you have any reviews on your product comparing it to other CAI like
C&L etc ....
2. Also can I use it with a tuner like Predator or SCT? Yes or No
Possitive Comment on your product: I like the fact it has openings
for NOS and comes polished.

3. Real world reviews from people that have used your CAI and have done
before and after dyno runs. - In any magazine like: MM&FF, 5.0 Mustang
etc... Or people that have purchase your product and have been
satisfied with the performance gains - and what kind of Power was
achieved. - from any Mustang Forum.
1. The only big review that was done entailed 11 different CAI kits and compared hp gains as well as cosmetics. The Granatelli one apparently got screwed up in shipping and never made it, so no.

2. Yes, he sells a version of his CAI that does not come with a precalibrated MAS, and you can use the factory MAS and "tune" your car to the new parameters. Apparently the big chip guys, Bama, Brenspeed, etc, do have tunes done with the Granatelli CAI, so it would work at least as well as any other CAI, and according to JR maybe even better due to its greater inner diameter size, who knows. "Tuning" calibrates your cars computer to the new parameters you get from a CAI, the greater air flow. More air means you need more gas too, more air+more gas=more hp, among other things. So yes, you can use a Predator or SCT with his CAI, and yes there are already canned tunes for his CAI, according to him. Of course dyno'd and tuned is always best.

3. If you go to the Granatelli website there are a couple of mag reviews. As far as word of mouth, from actual people, we're still waiting. Myself and a few others have ordered our units, I ordered mine with his calibrated MAS and his throttle body, we're just waiting deliveries. I imagine within the next few weeks you're going to start seeing a lot of customer reviews on these forums.

4. No, I don't know, nor have I ever met Mr. Granatelli, I just have followed enough of these threads to kind of know what's going on with his systems. If this offends you, sorry not my intent, just trying to help out.
Old 8/3/06, 12:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just received an email back from Doug @ Bamachips.

No, he does not have a tune for this system
or any experience with it...
Old 8/3/06, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. The only big review that was done entailed 11 different CAI kits and compared hp gains as well as cosmetics. The Granatelli one apparently got screwed up in shipping and never made it, so no.
That's pretty funny and hard for me to believe. What makes you think Granatelli sent one in for the test? The article said that some CAI manufacturers declined to submit a unit to be tested. Granatelli may have declined the offer. As I am sure the magazine would have let them resubmit had they not received the CAI as agreed but perhaps I am wrong in that assumption.

3. If you go to the Granatelli website there are a couple of mag reviews. As far as word of mouth, from actual people, we're still waiting. Myself and a few others have ordered our units, I ordered mine with his calibrated MAS and his throttle body, we're just waiting deliveries. I imagine within the next few weeks you're going to start seeing a lot of customer reviews on these forums.
Those mag reviews are paid advertisements that Granatelli placed in the magazines. Read the prior posts on Granatelli's responses on who did the actual tests etc earlier in this thread.

4. No, I don't know, nor have I ever met Mr. Granatelli, I just have followed enough of these threads to kind of know what's going on with his systems. If this offends you, sorry not my intent, just trying to help out.
I agree that we should give these products a fair shake but don't wave them around as the holy grail if you have not used them. Let's all agree to be as unbiased and honest in our claims and assessments of products and everyone will benefit.

Thanks
Old 8/3/06, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shatter
That's pretty funny and hard for me to believe. What makes you think Granatelli sent one in for the test? The article said that some CAI manufacturers declined to submit a unit to be tested. Granatelli may have declined the offer. As I am sure the magazine would have let them resubmit had they not received the CAI as agreed but perhaps I am wrong in that assumption.

Those mag reviews are paid advertisements that Granatelli placed in the magazines. Read the prior posts on Granatelli's responses on who did the actual tests etc earlier in this thread.

I agree that we should give these products a fair shake but don't wave them around as the holy grail if you have not used them. Let's all agree to be as unbiased and honest in our claims and assessments of products and everyone will benefit.

Thanks
For agreeing to be unbiased and fair you sure seem to be slamming him pretty hard. This is not some schmuck off the street who just one day decided, "Hey I bet I can make a CAI and sell it". Do a search for granatelli performance and you will see that he has plenty of experience engineering and designing performance products for many different applications. Me personally, I think a lot of people on these forums have been down right rude to him and to his responses, and still he tries to make everyone happy.
Old 8/3/06, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTJeff
Just received an email back from Doug @ Bamachips.

No, he does not have a tune for this system
or any experience with it...
I just got off the phone with Brent at Brenspeed and he said the same thing, no, he does not actually have a "canned" tune with the Granatelli CAI, without the calibrated MAF. However, he said he would be more than willing to make one up. He has a couple of test cars that he can add basically any CAI to and put it on the dyno and adjust for optimum performance, so all it would take would be for someone to send him one, he could run the tests and gather the data, and then he would send the CAI back.
Old 8/3/06, 02:25 PM
GT Member

I just got off the phone with Brent at Brenspeed and he said the same thing, no, he does not actually have a "canned" tune with the Granatelli CAI, without the calibrated MAF. However, he said he would be more than willing to make one up. He has a couple of test cars that he can add basically any CAI to and put it on the dyno and adjust for optimum performance, so all it would take would be for someone to send him one, he could run the tests and gather the data, and then he would send the CAI back.
I wonder how a tune *with* the calibrated MA sensor in place would do. Might be even better and easier to tune?
Old 8/3/06, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

OK, to clarify a little, I misunderstood about what was said by JR and his being able to be loaded with the canned tunes. I have never used one before so I can not confirm, but apparently the canned tunes are already preloaded within the SCT or Predator units, you just have to select the GMS CAI. My mistake.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???