GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/06, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theringer
alright, after 19 pages of information, discussion, drama, etc....i simply had to say something.

to SKI and the other dissenters: first off, thank you for looking out for the rest of us. without an opposing view, this discussion would be irrelavent. however, you have done your duty, quite earnestly i must say, and now it is time to move on. you have played devil's advocate long enough to get everyone thinking. it is now time to let people decide for themselves whether or not they wish to purchase this product. clearly you do not support GMS, so let the issue rest. again, i thank you, but surely now there are other battles for you to fight.

to JR and the other proponets: thank you, as well, for all of the information and discussion. lest we forget, amidst all of the drama that came from this post was an abundance of information both for and against this product. 19 pages of reminders that these posts are invaluable tools for researching, discussing, buying, and selling products for a hobby we are ALL interested in. so thank you, to everyone involved.

and finally: can't we all just get along?

-Peter
Duluth, MN
Austin Millbarge: We mock what we don't understand

I have no problems with people asking questions but they never asked a single question they just came out swinging
Old 8/24/06, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JR,

I ordered the CAI a couple days ago and have a question. Are the MAF or MAS or whatever they are officially called tuned to a specific year model? I wasn't asked when I ordered so I'm guessing they aren't but, just in case they are I would like to know so it can be straightened out before it's shipped. Thanks for all the time you spend here answering questions and putting up with the haters, Jimmy.
Old 8/24/06, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Treadhead
JR,

I ordered the CAI a couple days ago and have a question. Are the MAF or MAS or whatever they are officially called tuned to a specific year model? I wasn't asked when I ordered so I'm guessing they aren't but, just in case they are I would like to know so it can be straightened out before it's shipped. Thanks for all the time you spend here answering questions and putting up with the haters, Jimmy.
The 05-06 is the same. If you have an 07 model then then you would need the updated one since it's a different calibration...Either way, they should have asked what year you had.
Old 8/24/06, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

You know this has been one of the most interesting forums that I have ever followed. Ski and Don_W have obviously been the catalysts that have caused the emotions of many to come out on occasion, myself included, but hopefully people have also gotten some information out of these posts as well. We can pretty much assume the following:

1. Everybody here that has ACTUALLY purchased GMS items has been happy with the choices. I haven't heard anybody say that they were returning the items due to poor quality or that they didn't work.

2. Ski and Don will never like anything from GMS, even when it finishes in front of them in the quarter mile.

3. If you looked at the posts that were listed as "evidence" against GMS, I think JR more than handled the criticism, proving that most were false statements or at best, just plain . I know I was not impressed with what they had to say or how they said it which leads me to question their age and/or experience (or even their intelligence).

Everybody has to make up their mind about the products & customer service. Hopefully we won't need the CA after the purchase, but it does happen and my experience with GMS has been better than expected. If a part arrived defective, it was quickly replaced. The price was better than almost everything out there which just helps everybody that can't afford 700.00 Borla cats or Corsa Axel backs or 400.00 tuners. Truly a good deal for all.
In closing I think we all figured out that knowlege is great and that's why we come to TMS, to learn of peoples experiences with products. Just that and nothing more. What? What was that Ski? or was that you Don_w? oh, yea, that's what I thought you said! http://www.harleybill.com/donski.wav
Old 8/24/06, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by harleybill
The 05-06 is the same. If you have an 07 model then then you would need the updated one since it's a different calibration...Either way, they should have asked what year you had.
Hmm, is there a way to tell? I don't think they asked me. Also, if this was true, why wouldn't there be a different part number for the 07?
Old 8/24/06, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by awakeinAZ
Hmm, is there a way to tell? I don't think they asked me. Also, if this was true, why wouldn't there be a different part number for the 07?
I'm not sure what post it was in (could be this one) but somebody had ordered the cai/mas but it didn't work on the 07. It had to be re-calbrated for the 07. It might just be a different MAS (it would be the same CAI). Look back through this post or go to the Granatelli post just in performance (not gt). Hope that helps.
Old 8/24/06, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

It was me that got the first Granatelli CAI for the 07 and discovered that it didn't work. Within the week, the got an 07 in and made a new calibration for the 07's and then sent me a new calibrated MAF Sensor and Harness. All is now is well with the new calibration installed. As you correctly stated, the 05-06's are the same, but the 07's do require a different calibration in the MAF Sensor and Harness, but everything else is the same, and they have the same part number, you just need to tell them if you have an 07 .
Old 8/24/06, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Didn't you already install your CAI? http://www.mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=1852146
As far as I understood, the 05-06 MAS won't work on the 07 at all, so if you're not getting any CEL's etc., then I think you're OK?
Old 8/24/06, 10:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks so much JR and Granatelli!!! Got my strut tower today.
Old 8/25/06, 05:47 AM
Former Vendor

Old 8/25/06, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by harleybill
Well, I have an '05 and according to the PM that JR sent me there shouldn't be any problem so we'll see. If there is, I'm sure he will take care of it from what I've seen so far.
Harleybill, that .wav was funny!
Old 8/26/06, 10:30 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli

Sherlock - post 91 is mine
Yes, I know. While pointing out a mistake made by your company, I was also slightly retracting my fangs, and simultaneously giving you a kudo. However, you evidently did not pick up on it.

And now I'll fully retract them, and give you some friendly advice on dealing with people by quoting the 3 major rules for salesmen:

(1) "The first impression you make on a person is the most important one."

(2) "Bite your tongue, and do not act insolently toward others, even if they are not customers."

(3) "Pick the flys..t out of the pepper(How to 'read' people to determine what is important to them)."

I've been professionally involved in engineering sales(non-automotive) for the past 35 years, and I learned early on in my career that a bad first impression or a rude remark cannot be undone, and also how to 'read' people. Yes, I was rough and crude when I initially started, but I also quickly learned how extremely important the above three maxims are.

In answering my first post in this thread, you broke Rule (1), and did not make a good first impression on me. Why? Because of your inability to answer questions with direct answers. This is the one area where you have major shortcomings. Heck, even harleybill, your staunchest supporter in this thread, had to point that out to you.
If you go back thru this thread, you'll see that my first question is the ubiquitous one where I asked you to explain why you gave conflicting claims on which of your products(CAI/MAF/TB vs. CAI/MAF) yielded a 24 hp gain on a specific engine during a specific dyno run. But ultimately, you did not realize that a person's first question is the most important one, and broke Rule (3)....you were not able to "pick the flys..t out of the pepper" by giving a dissertation on how dyno numbers can vary on different runs with the same engine, and presenting printouts of other dyno runs on other engines. While these responses were informative, they did not directly address my question.
Finally, after several days had passed after I had initially asked that question, the only direct answer that you gave to it was "sue me". That broke Rule (2)....you did not "Bite your tongue...". Now, I'm not sure about others, but for me that one response hurled your credibility right down the toilet, and caused me to lose all of my belief in any of your claims, even if they are backed up by 3rd parties.
(Between you, me, and the fence post, an acceptable answer to me would have been one in which you admitted that you had simply made a mistake on one of your claims. Unfortunately, you did not realize the importance of your admitting to a mistake in this specific situation.)

And, of course, I know that you recall your rude comment "Go beat your dog", which also broke Rule (2). But this time you did so in a major way that just plain and simple disgusted me, and possibly other forum members, i.e., prospective customers.

So, in bidding you adieu, I'll just say that I hope you and your company do well.
But IMHO, it's going to be an uphill battle until you decide to polish your ways, and clean up your act.

P.S. -
Another friendly tip....Learn how to spell correctly, even if it means dictating to another. It will make you look more professional.
Old 8/26/06, 12:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if this was answered or asked but that is a lot to read through, if you get the throttle body and intake do you need to get a tune.
Old 8/26/06, 03:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

2005sonicgt--- It's in here somewhere cluttered up by all the haters. If you get the intake w/maf and/or the T/B then there is no tune needed. Not sure which post it was though. I know one of Harleybills' posts mentioned it.
Old 8/26/06, 04:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Treadhead
2005sonicgt--- It's in here somewhere cluttered up by all the haters. If you get the intake w/maf and/or the T/B then there is no tune needed. Not sure which post it was though. I know one of Harleybills' posts mentioned it.
I notices there was a lot of that goin on (hatin). Man this intake almost sound's too good to be true! thank's
Old 8/26/06, 05:17 PM
Former Vendor

I agree it does sound too good to be true. That is why I have posted the dyno numbers on so many different cars and various model years as well as video back up. This is why why we brought cars into our shop and did work for free. Everytime I dyno one of these cars with our parts I get a big grin because I can't believe my eyes . I even had the guys from Mustang check the calibration.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/video13.htm

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/video24.htm

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/video22.htm
Old 8/26/06, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ski
Things are being misquoted, and numbers are not adding up in the above.

(1) In the 1st 2 quotes, Granatelli states that an additional 23.7 hp was generated by the his CAI/MAF/TB, while in the 3rd quote Granatelli states that the 23.7 hp was generated by just his CAI/MAF.

(2) In the 3rd quote Granatelli states that his CAI/MAF/TB/2.5" catback exhaust generates a total additional 48.3 hp vs. bone stock. Assuming the correct fact in (1) is that his CAI/MAF/TB add 23.7 hp, then an additional 24.6 hp is generated(48.3 - 23.7) by just installing his 2.5" catback exhaust system.
That's a lot of extra hp being generated by just a catback exhaust. In fact, it adds approx. as much hp as a combined long tube header/catless X or H pipe system. And that's unheard of.

Would you please explain these discrepancies, Granatelli?
This was and still is a compound question. If a cold air system adds 10hp to your otherwise stock car and an exhaust system adds 10hp to an otherwise stock car that does not mean that one car with both bolt ons will make 20hp. They may make more or they may make less. Every engine has a different appetite for fuel.

Sometimes allowing the engine to ingest more air does nothing until you allow it to expel more air. Case in point the 2005-07 Mustang. They run very rich from the factory so you can change the air intake and see big gains without a ton of tuning. However due to today’s emissions laws and mega operating systems, what was once a simple bolt on now requires a major reprogram.

The industry as a whole as looked to acting this problem simple by going into the vehicles operating system but that is not the only way to achieve the goal. The sensing element that communicates to the ECM just how much air is going into the engine can also be calibrated to achieve the same goal. This is what Granatelli has done.

When I was asked a multitude of question that appeared to be simple to one person I tried to answer it in a more global manner. Since my words are continually misconstrued and since they say a picture is worth 1000 words. I chose to post pictures of dyno graphs and show videos.

I came, I tested, I reported
Old 8/26/06, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
Didn't you already install your CAI? http://www.mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=1852146
As far as I understood, the 05-06 MAS won't work on the 07 at all, so if you're not getting any CEL's etc., then I think you're OK?
Oh okay. Nope, haven't gotten any CEL's. I picked up the (October issue) of Mustangs and Fast Fords while at Checker Auto today. They have a great article on CAI's but did not test the GMS. It's worth looking at their data!
Old 8/26/06, 06:48 PM
Former Vendor

Oh okay. Nope, haven't gotten any CEL's. I picked up the (October issue) of Mustangs and Fast Fords while at Checker Auto today. They have a great article on CAI's but did not test the GMS. It's worth looking at their data!
Ya I saw this article as well. I did not really like the article because I thought is was more of a puff piece that had to be jammed in at the last minute. Basically the conclusion is the engines like A LOT of COLD fresh air
Old 8/26/06, 08:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Granatelli
Ya I saw this article as well. I did not really like the article because I thought is was more of a puff piece that had to be jammed in at the last minute. Basically the conclusion is the engines like A LOT of COLD fresh air
Don't all engines?

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???