GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/06, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05GTRedfire,
Your setup looks totally awesome!

I was going to try to hold off on the TB but it matches Redfire so nicely dammit!
Old 8/10/06, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ski
I tend to be unpolite when it appears that a supplier is trying to sell his product(s) with claims that do not seem realistic, and also when he changes his claims from one post to another.
However, if Granatelli can supply some straight and factual answers to my questions, then I'll retract my fangs.
you are okay in my book brotha

-Dan
Old 8/10/06, 08:06 PM
GT Member

I've been looking very hard at the GMS TB. I already have a C&L intake w/ C&L tune. I am concerned that the GMS TB will affect the tune (I am trying to avoid having to dyno and get a custom tune). The car runs great right now.

Any chance that the GMS TB increases engine braking with your foot off the pedal? Lack of engine braking is probably my biggest gripe about the throttle-by-wire set-up.
Old 8/10/06, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

but then that makes this whole kit more expensive! might as well get a real tune!
Old 8/10/06, 08:39 PM
GT Member

??? I got the Predator and the C&L CAI used for nearly 1/2 price. Trying to save some $$$. What do you mean by "a real tune"?
Old 8/10/06, 09:19 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
I believe what he's referring to..Is a custom tune on a dyno..
Old 8/10/06, 09:22 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by helicfii
I've been looking very hard at the GMS TB. I already have a C&L intake w/ C&L tune. I am concerned that the GMS TB will affect the tune (I am trying to avoid having to dyno and get a custom tune). The car runs great right now.

Any chance that the GMS TB increases engine braking with your foot off the pedal? Lack of engine braking is probably my biggest gripe about the throttle-by-wire set-up.
YOU DO NOT NEED A RETUNE WITH THE T BODY BECAUSE IT COMES AFTER THE T BODY
Old 8/10/06, 10:54 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jayguy
Ok, I'm no engineer, but believe I've got a pretty good understanding of this whole thing. So if I do make a mistake, don't flame, just correct what I've screwed up.

The only reason other CAI's need a tune (like the C&L) is because where the MAF sensor sits, they've widened the opening. Other intakes use the same diameter at that point, and don't require a tune.

The TB sits well behind that, so flow through the TB doesn't affect the signal getting to the ECU. It does allow more air through into the plenum, but that increase will be measured by the MAF upstream and the computer will work with that. The GMS MAF is re-configured to work with the larger opening it sits in, so that the ECU will be able to use it's programming without modification, yet still provide more power.

Same as installing the Steeda Charge Motion Control Plates, which free up a little more area to let the air flow better, no tune is needed as they are down-wind (so to speak) of the MAF.

A custom tune (at a shop with a dyno and air fuel meter) will help out whether your car is bone stock, has the GMS intake with or without new MAF sensor, or has a JLT, C&L, etc.

So, GMS has made their intake plug-and play, instead of needing a configuration, and it will work good with or without a tune, depending on whether or not you purchase their replacement MAF. Buy a MAF from them, no tune needed. Use your stock MAF with their intake, need a tune. Hope that makes sense.
Old 8/10/06, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

for the dood who wants deceleration. NEVER gonna happen without a REAL tune. not a canned one. i have my deceleration timer set for 1 second. i left of the gas, 1 second, it makes all them cool poppy sounds and starts decelerating. yours will do this after 7 seconds. just man up and get the real tune!!!!
Old 8/10/06, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Ok, I'm no engineer, but believe I've got a pretty good understanding of this whole thing. So if I do make a mistake, don't flame, just correct what I've screwed up.

The only reason other CAI's need a tune (like the C&L) is because where the MAF sensor sits, they've widened the opening. Other intakes use the same diameter at that point, and don't require a tune.

The TB sits well behind that, so flow through the TB doesn't affect the signal getting to the ECU. It does allow more air through into the plenum, but that increase will be measured by the MAF upstream and the computer will work with that. The GMS MAF is re-configured to work with the larger opening it sits in, so that the ECU will be able to use it's programming without modification, yet still provide more power.

Same as installing the Steeda Charge Motion Control Plates, which free up a little more area to let the air flow better, no tune is needed as they are down-wind (so to speak) of the MAF.

A custom tune (at a shop with a dyno and air fuel meter) will help out whether your car is bone stock, has the GMS intake with or without new MAF sensor, or has a JLT, C&L, etc.

So, GMS has made their intake plug-and play, instead of needing a configuration, and it will work good with or without a tune, depending on whether or not you purchase their replacement MAF. Buy a MAF from them, no tune needed. Use your stock MAF with their intake, need a tune. Hope that makes sense.
Jay, I agree with everything you mentioned except for one thing ? The Steeda charge motion control plates do require a computer re-flash..Even my SCT X-cal II SF-9415 ST. has an optional setting for the motion plates..So I highly recommend that you give Jason a call over at Steeda and ask him about this..Better yet, here's the description from the Steeda website....Let your pony breathe! The factory charge-motion control plates produce a restriction in the intake path - which these replacements from Steeda eliminate. Beautifully CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. If you are already on the bottle, we've got the holes drilled and tapped for you, ready for you to install your nozzles. Recalibration after installation is required - easily handled with the new Steeda Predator with Custom Tunes, or with the SCT Xcalibrator!
Current mods, SCT X-CAL II SF-9415ST. 93 oct. performance tune, Steeda CAI..Future mods, Jet TB. spacer, Steeda UD pulleys, Borla stinger axle back exhaust..Current Stang, 2005 Torch Red GT. Previous Stangs, 93 SVT Cobra.. 92 GT.. 90 GT.. and 78 Mustang II King Cobra..

Old 8/11/06, 12:16 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops, you're right. I forgot they did need a re-tune, I was thinking strictly because they're just opening the flow, but they help control flow to provide a little more low end torque. I'm not sure if the butterfly's are controlled by the computer, or if it's just a mechanical activation, but I'm sure removing that all together like they do is why the tune is required. Didn't even think about that at the time.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 8/11/06, 12:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bryman
05GTRedfire,
Your setup looks totally awesome!

I was going to try to hold off on the TB but it matches Redfire so nicely dammit!
Thanks man, I finally got my Ford plenum cover installed today with it too, you should see how it looks now lol. I'll have new pics up tomorrow afternoon.
Old 8/11/06, 01:10 AM
Former Vendor

Oops, you're right. I forgot they did need a re-tune, I was thinking strictly because they're just opening the flow, but they help control flow to provide a little more low end torque. I'm not sure if the butterfly's are controlled by the computer, or if it's just a mechanical activation, but I'm sure removing that all together like they do is why the tune is required. Didn't even think about that at the time.

Thanks for the correction.
Actually - you do not need a retune but again by by-passing the plates you can make other changes in the tune. It is what you want vs. what you need
Old 8/11/06, 09:15 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Why, do I believe it ?? Because it makes sense.. In fact, if you look back at the 5.0 shootout..The Anderson Ford Motorsport, CAI also w/no re-flash, got 19 additional HP. and that system, was with a PMAS 80mm. Pro M meter..The Granatelli kit, on the other hand, has a 90mm. intake tube, w/stock re-calibrated MAF sensor and the way I see it..The Granatelli kit, is based upon almost, the same principles as the Anderson kit.. Therefore, Granatelli's dyno results of 23 additional HP. sounds just about right, to me..Also, from what I understand Ski..The Granatelli TB. had an increase of 8 additional HP. So where does the TB, tie in with the CAI results ??..Your going to have to show me, where they both tie in together, because I sure don't see it..
You'll discover how little sense it makes by reading the 5.0 shootout article again. The AMS CAI generated an extra 19 hp over baseline when using a reflashed 91 octane modified tune, and not the stock tune. In addition, GMS claims that his hp gains are possible with 87 octane.

My point of contention is that Granatelli made inconsistent claims regarding the 23.7 hp gain in his posts, and all I'm asking is for him to explain why. On one hand he said that an extra 23.7 hp was made with his CAI/MAF/TB, and than in the next breath he claimed it was made with just his CAI/MAF.
Old 8/11/06, 09:26 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
you are okay in my book brotha

-Dan
Thanks for the kudos, Dan.
Apparently you're on the same wave length as me, e.g., not afraid to challenge a supplier when he makes unrealistic and/or conflicting claims about a product.
Old 8/11/06, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Actually - you do not need a retune but again by by-passing the plates you can make other changes in the tune. It is what you want vs. what you need
According to both the Steeda website and from Jason who I personally spoke with..confirm that the plates do require re-tuning..Unless Steeda is full of Which doesn't make any logical sense at all being that they designed them to begin with..
Old 8/11/06, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ski
You'll discover how little sense it makes by reading the 5.0 shootout article again. The AMS CAI generated an extra 19 hp over baseline when using a reflashed 91 octane modified tune, and not the stock tune. In addition, GMS claims that his hp gains are possible with 87 octane.

My point of contention is that Granatelli made inconsistent claims regarding the 23.7 hp gain in his posts, and all I'm asking is for him to explain why. On one hand he said that an extra 23.7 hp was made with his CAI/MAF/TB, and than in the next breath he claimed it was made with just his CAI/MAF.
And all I'm asking of you..Is to show me or point out these inconsistent claims..Where does he say the 23.7 extra HP. was made by his CAI/MAF/TB ? and then just his CAI/MAF ?? unless I overlooked something..I just don't see it.. So point it out to me..That's all I ask..
Old 8/11/06, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trust one vendor but not the other?

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
According to both the Steeda website and from Jason, who I personally spoke with..confirm that the plates, do require re-tuning..Unless Steeda is full of Which doesn't make any logical sense at all, being that they designed them, to begin with..
Here is a quote from the steeda site on CMP's.

"Let your pony breathe! The factory charge-motion control plates produce a restriction in the intake path - which these replacements from Steeda eliminate. Beautifully CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. If you are already on the bottle, we've got the holes drilled and tapped for you, ready for you to install your nozzles. Recalibration after installation is required - easily handled with the new Steeda Predator with Custom Tunes, or with the SCT Xcalibrator!

Now for the point... Using ANY tuner is going to have advantages. Adding a tune to GMS Cai/MAS will improve things (but it's not mandatory). Adding the steeda plates, what happens if you don't use the tune? Will it run like crap? Will there be any value lost and run worse than stock? Will it still run better than stock but could benefit from a tune, Probably.....You have to rely on the vendors to tell the truth and they are ALL out to make a buck. Remember how ford says that the mustang has 300 HP but some get them dynoed and they are all over the place? Others get some of these tunes and their cars run worse but others are great? Did ford lie about the stock HP? Remember, EVERY car is somewhat different and HP ratings can run all over the place and parts can have different results. I'm sure not every car has made the stated HP and JR or any vendor would be stupid to take the lowest rating that showed up, don't ya think?
GMS is basing his stats on the cars he has done. What else can he or any vendor do? Nobody will be happy until some totally unrelated shop does a dyno test but I hope it's done on 2 or 3 DIFFERENT cars with the EXACT SAME options. There are some that won't be happy even with this but as the bolt said to the nut, screw it...
Old 8/11/06, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by harleybill
Here is a quote from the steeda site on CMP's.

"Let your pony breathe! The factory charge-motion control plates produce a restriction in the intake path - which these replacements from Steeda eliminate. Beautifully CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. If you are already on the bottle, we've got the holes drilled and tapped for you, ready for you to install your nozzles. Recalibration after installation is required - easily handled with the new Steeda Predator with Custom Tunes, or with the SCT Xcalibrator!

Now for the point... Using ANY tuner is going to have advantages. Adding a tune to GMS Cai/MAS will improve things (but it's not mandatory). Adding the steeda plates, what happens if you don't use the tune? Will it run like crap? Will there be any value lost and run worse than stock? Will it still run better than stock but could benefit from a tune, Probably.....You have to rely on the vendors to tell the truth and they are ALL out to make a buck. Remember how ford says that the mustang has 300 HP but some get them dynoed and they are all over the place? Others get some of these tunes and their cars run worse but others are great? Did ford lie about the stock HP? Remember, EVERY car is somewhat different and HP ratings can run all over the place and parts can have different results. I'm sure not every car has made the stated HP and JR or any vendor would be stupid to take the lowest rating that showed up, don't ya think?
GMS is basing his stats on the cars he has done. What else can he or any vendor do? Nobody will be happy until some totally unrelated shop does a dyno test but I hope it's done on 2 or 3 DIFFERENT cars with the EXACT SAME options. There are some that won't be happy even with this but as the bolt said to the nut, screw it...
Ok, I'm going to set the record straight once and for all..First of all I knew about JR's cold air system over a year ago. before any of you knew it even exsisted..In fact I had personally spoken with JR on 2 different occassions and asked him different questions, about how he recalibrated his electronics and how his system was different compared to the Anderson Ford Motorsport kit..And if any of you believe, that I'm full of BS.. ask JR for yourselves and ask him if he remembers talking with Rocky ?? I also have 3 picture files that he e-mailed to me before his cold air kit ever hit the market..I personally have nothing against his system and if all of you had taken a look at my earlier post's...You'll see for yourselves that I supported his kit from the very beginning and never had a negative thing to say about him..The only reason I chose my Steeda CAI and tuner was for the additional benefits..Otherwise I would had chosen JR's kit in a heartbeat..End of Story..And not to sound like a wiseass Bill..But I posted the very same paragraph from the Steeda website earlier...Just scroll up and take a look for yourself, it's there..
Old 8/11/06, 03:35 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ski

I am not sure why you have such a problem with the numbers I have made it very clear that I quote the numbers as they come in. The numbers in our advertisements are GENERAL. If we say 20hp that means 18 to 22. Is everyone that buys our product going to make the same power every time? NO

Here is a dyno test on a virgin 2006 Mustang with 1200 miles on it. Baselined as stock as can be and then just a cold air installed. Once again the entire process was video taped so the link will be up shortly – Here is the dyno sheet

29hp and 24ft/lbs increase - Again the custom sat there and watched the entire process like a hawk. These number seemed high to me but we back to back'd it and they held up. As you will see in the video, the car in stone stock form was a pig rich 9.8 to one from 4500 to 6000. Our tune keeps the car at a smooth WOT of 12 to 1

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???