GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/06, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Anyone tried or heard about the Granatelli Intake, PN#410040? I saw it in an add in this month's MM&FF and the thing that caught my eye is that it said it didn't require a tune because it comes with a custom-tuned new MAF. It promises 25+ HP. Here's more about it: http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...rinduction.htm. It looks like Summit has it on the site but it's not due in for a few weeks. At around $300, this looks like a good deal to me! If it all works like it says it does, this would be about the best bang for buck intake out there.
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-410040-large-.jpg  
Old 5/29/06, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

I wouldnt buy into their advertising if I were you, if it was anything decent it would require a retune of the ECU.

The best bang for the buck intake out there is the JLT but it does require a retune.

I call JR out to support his product but its unlikely that he could back anything up since its just him that runs the company, he doesnt know much when it comes to specifics. Thats why he has engineers and techs.

-Dan
Old 5/29/06, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Looking into it a bit further, it looks like you have to pay about $360 for the new MAF and the CAI - still a good deal if it works. This looks like the complete package: http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...nMAFsensor.htm

Summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 5/31/06, 01:05 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
I've researched the Granatelli CAI and also agree with Cleveland..It's all about advertising and marketing, nothing more..Besides if it really works as he claims..Why is it that none of the other CAI manufacturers have similar products ?? Sure, he can somehow custom tune the MAF sensor.. however all that really accomplishes is somehow tricking the PCM into thinking that the A/F curve is the same as the factory MAF sensor by changing the voltage signal which is really custom tuning the MAF sensor just for his larger intake tube only..Therefore you might just as well be running a CAI by itself.. So ask yourself this..What's the most hp. gain you can expect to see with just a CAI ?? maybe 10 ? 12 ? or 15 hp.? if you're lucky..I just don't see how his claim of 25+HP. could even be close to being accurate..I'd have to see some real independent dyno testing by either doug@bamachips.com or www.brenspeed.com before I'd ever consider his product, especially before spending $300.00 +
Old 5/31/06, 04:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have spoke with JR about this and his MAF's. He is a very smart guy for dure when it comes to electronics. I understand how and why it works with out a tune, but do have a hard time with 25 RWHP, also it looks like a dead ringer for someone elses product with the name polished off. Hmmmm

Jay
Old 5/31/06, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Well think of it this way. Most people are going to want to modify their cars more and more as time goes on, right? Well, chances are you will need a tuner in the long run anyways. Me personally, I would stick with a CAI that came with the tuner in package (I highly recommend the JLT II with bamchips tune). Just my opinion though.
Old 5/31/06, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

HMMMMM !!!!! Looks identical to the BBK CAI! http://www.bbkperformance.com/downlo...asyArticle.pdf
Old 6/1/06, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, they are both shiny and similar shaped, but definitley not the same. The Granatelli has ports on the intake for Nitrous, and if you look closely, the shape is different. The tube is definitely wider on the Granatelli near the filter, where the custom MAF resides. For more clarificaton, see here: http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/pdf/mag24.pdf and here: http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...id=2550&sid=21. Polish up a C&L and it'll look similar as well. There's really only so many ways you can make a short ram intake for this application.
Old 6/23/06, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will know in a few weeks...

I also met JR up at the Summit Racing show in Ohio a couple of weeks ago and talked to him about this. I have to admit that I didn't think he was talking BS at all. He seemed very knowledgable (and even gave me a tshirt-though I didn't have any of his parts currently on the car). He was actually going to sell me a TB at the end of the show but I couldn't find him anywhere and the other guy had packaged it away so I left. It will still be something I will pick up if I can find a better deal. Anyway, think....If you can get substantial HP/Torque without a tune, why waste the money on a tune unless your really going to need it for a super/turbo upgrade or something. I eventually want to do this but in the meantime I can upgrade without going broke. I ordered one from Summit and it should be here early July. I must admit I am looking forward to putting it on. I have a couple of friends with new ones that are also interested in seeing how it looks/feels. Oh, JR---If you read this, I had the red 05 with white stripes. You were looking at the oil filter mount for someone. Thanks for the shirt.
Old 7/8/06, 10:37 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I've researched the Granatelli CAI, and also agree with Cleveland..It's all about advertising and marketing, nothing more..Besides, if it really works as he claims..Why is it, that none of the other CAI manufacturers, have similar products ??

That is an easy question to answer. Granatelli has a partnership with Hitachi. Hitachi is the manufacturer of the stock electronics that came with your 05/06 Mustang. Our partnership allows us direct access to the engineers that designed the new "slot-in" technology. So we can sell (include) the proper scaled MAF electonics with our 410040 kits. So why can't the other do it? They could if they could read the MAF transfer functions but they can't get directly to it. SCT, Diablo and Sniper want to sell you a flashtool not MAF electonics so naturally they hype the programs. Since It is GMS and Hitachi versus everyone else....well you get it. If 20 people tell you the sky is falling and only one guy says no it is not - most people side with the 20 not the 1. If 1 million people all stood up at the same time and said the earth was flat and if you sailed to far you would fall off the end - would you belive it? 150 years ago maybe but not anymore. Sooner or later everyone will see GMS has had a handle of the MAF technology since 1998 when we sold Paxton and put all our energy into the electronic end of things -

Sure, he can somehow custom tune the MAF sensor, however all that really accomplishes is somehow tricking the PCM into thinking that the A/F curve is the same as the factory MAF sensor, by changing the voltage signal, which is really custom tuning the MAF sensor, just for his larger intake tube only..

I think you are arguing both sides here. We do custom tune the MAF electronic but we are not tricking it we are really tuning it. This in turn gives you the proper A/F ratio

Therefore, you might just as well be running a CAI by itself.. So ask yourself this..What's the most hp. gain, you can expect to see with just a CAI ?? maybe 10 ? 12 ? or 15 hp.? if you're lucky..I just don't see how his claim of 25+HP. could even be close to being accurate..I'd have to see some real independent dyno testing, by either doug@bamachips.com or www.brenspeed.com before I'd ever consider his product, especially before spending $300.00 +
Bamachips is a customer of GMS. So call Doug - I am cool with that.

Look we offer it however you want it. Part number 410040 is a complete unpolished (satin finish) 05/06 CAI with the calibrated electronics or you can purchase 410040-1 which is the same looking part with no electonics - that way you can put your factory parts in and use any flash tuner you pick. WE OFFER IT BOTH WAYS - no need to throw stones

Just put a "P" after the part number and you get polished

I am the engineer at Granatelli and I run tech as well. We are a team but I lead by example and I have earned the respect of all the Hitachi engineers as well as Delphi.
Old 7/8/06, 10:40 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 300HPGT
HMMMMM !!!!! Looks identical to the BBK CAI! http://www.bbkperformance.com/downlo...asyArticle.pdf
I think BBK is chrome and the pipes are smaller then ours. Our units are polished aluminum and huge on the inside.

someone mentioned JLT - We have had 3 JLT customers come to us and we have made a calibrated unit for them as well. SO if you purchase a JLT and don;t want to purchase the 400 flashtool to go with it - just call us
Old 7/9/06, 07:03 AM
GT Member

Granatelli, if I would be to buy your intake wich by the way it make perfect sense to me, how much would be my hp gain with an automatic stock. I just change the mufflers. Do you have a dyno chart on your website?
Old 7/9/06, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RACING GT
Granatelli, if I would be to buy your intake wich by the way it make perfect sense to me, how much would be my hp gain with an automatic stock. I just change the mufflers. Do you have a dyno chart on your website?
CIA have proven to make upwards of 18 to 20 hp on otherwise stock cars. GMS does not have an exclusive on that. I am not sure if we have a dyno test like you ask but we have made it clear that we are willing to sell a complete CIA 410040 kit for $150.00 plus a free dyno test if someone where to come to our company. Hence we need another car so we can do more testing. We are looking for a car that has not been reflashed - therefore a virgin ECU

805-486-6644 - ask for JR Granatelli
Old 7/9/06, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, I MIGHT bite on this one as my first performance mod?? Any more thoughts on this? Does it require prem fuel? Any help/knowlege would be greatly appreciated - 'cause I know nadda about this kind of stuff......
Old 7/9/06, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Well it looks like someone gonna have to do the big jump. But tell me is it gonna be you or me!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7/9/06, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Is there any super tech out there that could say why this new intake would be bad?
Old 7/9/06, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

no new intake that replaces the stock unit is "bad", you just need to determine what you believe is best in terms of performance or dollar per dollar.

You guys can make up your own minds on this product but IMO its not the best or even in the top units out there for the s197.

-Dan
Old 7/9/06, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the cost factor and the KISS factor. As far as performance mods go, I will probably only do this and axle backs (not even really perf). And then maybe some susp stuff. But, I'm already happy with stock perf, I just wanted to add a little kick to it......I will think long and hard about this one!
Old 7/10/06, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
OK, I MIGHT bite on this one as my first performance mod?? Any more thoughts on this? Does it require prem fuel? Any help/knowlege would be greatly appreciated - 'cause I know nadda about this kind of stuff......
Our kits do not require premium fuel. You will be happy with our kit and we do have a money back guarentee for satisfaction
Old 7/10/06, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
I like the cost factor and the KISS factor. As far as performance mods go, I will probably only do this and axle backs (not even really perf). And then maybe some susp stuff. But, I'm already happy with stock perf, I just wanted to add a little kick to it......I will think long and hard about this one!
Rad car - you definitely need some engine eye candy to go for the other coolness

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???