GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/06, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleybill
I think I must be cursed...I looked at the tracking last week and it was supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I just looked today and now it's tuesday due to a lousy late train in Illinois. I don't think I have ever had a UPS order change it's arrival date and I get stuff all of the time. I already have the car up on jacks (for exhaust change out) and the air box is out so that when this stuff arrives I can just put it on and get to testing.
I should have this week: 1. GMS t-body, cat back exhaust, Cai/Mas and I even got the GMS LCA's. I currently have BMR Lca's but I have been less than thrilled with them (I don't like the washers that they gave me to make up for the incorrectly sized grommet that came with the product. They should have sent a correct size after I called. Washers work but it's the principal of the thing).. If anybody wants to buy a slightly used set of BMR Lca's, they are also available for a good price.
Well it's Tuesday, where's the pics?
Old 8/8/06, 06:35 PM
Former Vendor

Old 8/8/06, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli

Wow, very nice JR. I guess you got the MAF calibration down on the 2007's eh?
Old 8/8/06, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
Wow, very nice JR. I guess you got the MAF calibration down on the 2007's eh?
Final testing is this Saturday
Old 8/8/06, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

gotta tighten up those straps for the hood pins a little!
Old 8/8/06, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It Finally Came>>>>yea...

Well the cai/mas finally arrived and I immediately tore it out of the box....Unfortunately, the plastic box holding the air filter was broken in 2 places...In my opinion, it is a very thin piece of plastic and should probably have been made from a different grade of plastic, less likely to crack. I ordered the polished unit and this also had a few blemishes that I would have liked not to have seen. There is a little pitting on the unit and the finish around the logo was rough and looked as if it was hit by a grinder. Though this sounds like I'm trashing it, I'm really not. The plastic is being replaced and I can live with the pitting (I will attempt to buff it out myself).
The install went reasonably well. Instructions are not perfect but luckily it's not that difficult. There is a tube that is provided by GMS that they don't show/explain in the instructions and it will replace the shorter unit that goes between the valve cover and the CAI. I mention this because I didn't see that tube when I took everything out and when I tried to use the stock one I freaked since it's about 4" short. First thing to do is put the sleeve over the CAI and then clamp it...This was not an easy task so you want to do it when you can maneuver it. Once that's on, you want to screw the MAS into the CAI. Your almost done...Now just put the Air box on with the 1 10MM stock bolt (instructions say 2 8MM bolts???) but don't tighten it yet. Finally attach the CAI to the T-body and tighten down, not your final tighten yet. You will have to adjust it through the plastic box at this time as well. Once you do that, put the air cleaner on. I found it easiest to put the air filter on, totally undo the hose clamp, slide it around and then tighten....Now do your final tightening of everything, put the hose on between the CAI and valve cover vent and your done, oh, don't forget to attach the MAS wires, and now that's it. Easy install in about 35 to 45 minutes (faster if you follow these instructions...I didn't and it took me a little while longer than it should). Overall I give the unit a 7out of 10. The only low spot is the plastic box. I am still up on blocks since I am doing the exhaust when it arrives so I haven't started it up yet. I will do that tomorrow and let you know if any lights pop on. Below are some of the pictures I took, showing the cracked plastic, the short stock part (remember to use the tubing) , a final shot of the install and even the tubing that I at first missed and a close look at the logo frame.
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-caimas_0360.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-caimas_0361.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-caimas_0362.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-caimas_0363.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-caimas_0364.jpg  

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-caimas_0365.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-caimas_0368.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-morecai_0369.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-morecai_0371.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-morecai_0375.jpg  

Old 8/8/06, 08:04 PM
Former Vendor

Where is the love

Bill - you are killing me

I told you I would replace the box in the morning. Your picture don;t clearly show pits and I also said I would replace that if you wanted us to . There is a clear film over the GMS logo that needs to be removed that is why it looks dull.

You show a picture of the factory vent tube as if it were too short but that is replaced by the hose we supplied

Old 8/8/06, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

my c&l has a cheapo airbox thing also, who cares though, if it works?! im not a hood popper, i dont care how my engine looks, just how it works!
Old 8/8/06, 08:37 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by official_style
my c&l has a cheapo airbox thing also, who cares though, if it works?! im not a hood popper, i dont care how my engine looks, just how it works!
We want everyone happy - And I like hood poppers
Old 8/8/06, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

what i want, is someone who is already tuned with an intake to try yours with the MAF, re tune and see if they get any more! if so, my c&L will go right onto ebay, and ill buy one of yours. i live in NYC, and drive like 100 miles a day, you wouldnt wanna see under my hood lol.
Old 8/8/06, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not trying to kill you.

Bill - you are killing me

I told you I would replace the box in the morning. Your picture don;t clearly show pits and I also said I would replace that if you wanted us to . There is a clear film over the GMS logo that needs to be removed that is why it looks dull.

You show a picture of the factory vent tube as if it were too short but that is replaced by the hose we supplied
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...10040small.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/348/scar00022yx5.jpg
It does look like I'm killing you but that's not what I am trying to do. I just have to report what happened and what my opinions are. I truly like the unit's overall looks, yes the plastic was broken but you are replacing it, not a big deal. There are some pitting in the polished unit (little black specs on the picture) and I can hopefully buff them out...Not worth sending back for. The finish around the emblem is not smooth and looks very rough. It's the frame around the emblem and not the emblem...Yes, I did take the plastic off of that. I will post more pictures shortly of the finished unit. Below are pictures of the full side shot of the system, filter and box, shot of the "hose" that replaces the stock piece and the scuffing around the frame of the logo. Like the man said, it's the results that really count.
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-morecai_0369.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-morecai_0370.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-morecai_0371.jpg   Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-morecai_0375.jpg  
Old 8/8/06, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I just picked mine up from the UPS place, they couldn't find my house apparently. I'm on my way to my friend's house now and we're going to be installing CAI and t-body.

Meh, I lied. After thinking about it for a second, I didn't want to be trying to rush through an install in the middle of the night, so I'm going over his house tomorrow (Wed) after work and we'll do the install, anyways, first impressions:

Like harleybill above me, my plastic heat shield came cracked where the hole is for the intake/filter connection. It is a very stiff plastic, and in my opinion is in itself a well made design. JR, whatever process you're using to press or cut the hole is causing it to crack. I was able to bend the plastic sides back and forth, and was able to realign the cracks in the plastic. You can't even see it anymore, and plus, on mine the crack was underneath where the intake/filter connection is, so it will be beneath everything and out of sight anyways. Not a biggie for me, but understandably noted.

Second, the intake assembly itself. Uhm, wow. Even if the heat shield is plastic, the intake tube is a monster. It is a heavy piece of aluminum, like 1/4 inch thick, not at all what I expected, I thought it would be flimsier. You could literally use the intake tube as a club, it is that solid. The polish on the tube on mine, like harleybills, is pitted toward the ends. However, if you can picture the process, you can see why. As the tubes come naturally in the satin finish, the polished look comes from someone manually moving the tube around a polisher, so yes, there will be some spots that are not buffed out as much as others, particularly around areas that aren't just flat, making it harder to get to. If you are expecting something like a chrome look, where the product is dipped and every possible area is covered, then you might be disappointed, but if you take it for what it is, then you won't be. I myself like the look, as I said, it is very sturdy, if anything, just tell the guy who is doing the polishing to take his time. The Filter itself is huge, and appears well made.

Third, the t-body. Again, OMG, Wow I got mine anodized red, I figure it should look good with the color inside the engine compartment. Well from the pics on the granatelli site, I expected it to be a bright red, but it was in fact almost like a maroon color, and should match almost perfectly. I can't convey how impressed I was with this unit, read through harleybill's description of his install. I can't wait to see this bad boy on. If you are looking to dress up your engine compartment at all, look into these t-body's in anodized colors.

My Ford plenum cover also is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I'll swing by here after work, pick it up, and head on over to my friends house for the complete install. Of course I'll work on pics. Wish me luck.
Old 8/9/06, 12:42 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You might have to modify the Ford Plenum Cover to fit with the Granatelli Throttle Body. From what I recall, the plenum cover dips down on the front of the mounting plate where the bolts hold the tb to the intake plenum, and with the bigger tb openings and the design being smooth across the top, there's no dip between the two throttle bodies. So you'll have to cut that little dip off. Does that make sense?

I thought about that the first time I saw the pics of the new Ford plenum cover. I've got the Midwest plenum cover, which doesn't have that same front detail, so I won't have to worry about that when I get my tb to install on my '07.

Anyway, can't wait to see the pics, and read your impressions of the whole package.
Old 8/9/06, 05:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great reviews guys!!! I'm glad your happy with yours. In the end, I just didn't want to take a chance on something like this. So I went with the JLT/xcal combo from bama. Cost me a bit more, but the peace of mind was worth it......
Old 8/9/06, 06:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

It runs like a raped ape...

Well I took it out for a ride this morning and boy what a difference...The sound when you press the pedal down is just awesome and you can really feel the difference (and no, there were no engine lights or anything). I truly think this is the best TRIO that you can add to your motor without a power adder like a turbo or SC. A tune might add something (what I don't know) cuz the response is better, gas mileage might be better and the sound is for sure more beefier. Lets just say I am most happy. GMS did say that they are trying to upgrade the plastic boxes and should yours be broken in transit, GMS will gladly replace it...I would imagine if too many of these get broken that they will quickly change moldings and then there won't be a bloody thing to crab about. Just sit back and Enjoy the ride guys cuz your gonna like this, believe me.
Old 8/9/06, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
Great reviews guys!!! I'm glad your happy with yours. In the end, I just didn't want to take a chance on something like this. So I went with the JLT/xcal combo from bama. Cost me a bit more, but the peace of mind was worth it......
I am sure you will enjoy what you have but the words "should a waited" are first to come to my mind. THis is why I waited a couple of years before I jumped into getting one of these type of units. I wanted to let the engineers come up with a good design that works with the electronics. I believe this is the unit and I highly recommend it. (NO GMS is not paying me.... )....Oh, go with the T-Body, even with your combo....You won't be dissapointed.
Old 8/9/06, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by official_style
what i want, is someone who is already tuned with an intake to try yours with the MAF, re tune and see if they get any more! if so, my c&L will go right onto ebay, and ill buy one of yours. i live in NYC, and drive like 100 miles a day, you wouldnt wanna see under my hood lol.
I hear ya but we never said our part would make more power then the next guys kit - We believe it does though. Our dyno tests have shown our product make as much as any other part tested. If you have a C&L be happy
Old 8/9/06, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
Lastly, you alwasy have the option of purchasing our part without the electronics. I spoke with Bamachips today and we are now on the same page.
Old 8/9/06, 03:26 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Joe, can you let us know, at what RPM range, were the 23.7hp and 9ft/lbs posted on the dyno results..Thanks

I still don't have the dyno computer up but stock was 259.8 @ 5500rpm and 279.1 @ 4000 on torque. With our parts in place - 283.5 at 6100 and 288.1 @ 4000

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
Was that just the CAI, or was that the CAI and the throttle body?

CAI and T-body
1. How much HP can be expected with just a CAI? - Trick question because our standard intake includes the calibrated MAF sensor. So same answer 23hp and 9ft/lbs is what we did last week. If you install you factory sensor and try to use a flash tool then I guess I would need to dyno test each guys tune. Diablo and SCT offer tunes for several different cold air intakes but when you look at the calibrations they all look very very similar – I know I wrote very twice…

2. How much HP can be expected with a CAI & your MAS. – 23hp and 9ft/lbs

3. How much HP can be expected with a t-body? 11? - T body alone and no other changes was 8hp as tested in Super Ford about a year ago.

4. How much HP can be expected with the above 2 and the T-Body? 20, 30, 40, more? – Today we tested a 05 Mustang stock. Then we installed the Granatelli 2.5 Exhaust, T-body and cold air intake with our calibrated MAF – it made 48.3hp and 32.2 ft/lbs

4. With the above, will the addition of a tuner do a little, a lot or not worth the money. Any HP gains or expectations? Expand on this? A flash tool will always help. Like Fuego. The flash tool will allow you to optimize the spark and load tables as well as turn stuff on and off at different times. If you have an auto trans it allows for shift rpm and firmness changes as well. Our CIA will work with a flash tool No Problem. If the flash tool asks about cold air intakes just say stock. Otherwise it tries to add for the CIA when we have already addressed it in the calibrated electronic package

5. Is the model of the exhaust your selling (2 1/2" a Cat-back as in the catalog or something different. Cat part is GM-ES0525 -polished mufflers and tips. (+ 15 HP) I don’t want to get pigeon holed into a specific number on just exhaust. Quite honestly even car will react differently and if you have intake changes then the exhaust helps more then if you had stock everything and just added mufflers. Bottom line our system will make as much power as any other 2.5 on the same car and will not drone

6. How much HP can be expected with mas/cai/t-body and exhaust? What is the HP diff between the 2 1/2" and 3" exhausts? Today we tested a 05 Mustang stock. Then we installed the Granatelli 2.5 Exhaust, T-body and cold air intake with our calibrated MAF – it made 48.3hp and 32.2 ft/lbs. Our 3” system drops the cats so when factoring that in you should pick up another 6 or 7 over the 2.5. However we have several shops that report a 25 to 35hp increase over stock just by adding our 3” system to a car that has a blower. This just goes to show that the stock system is barley good enough for the stock unmodified engine but when adding forced induction or anything else that should step up the power like 100hp the factory stuff is a major hold back
Things are being misquoted, and numbers are not adding up in the above.

(1) In the 1st 2 quotes, Granatelli states that an additional 23.7 hp was generated by the his CAI/MAF/TB, while in the 3rd quote Granatelli states that the 23.7 hp was generated by just his CAI/MAF.

(2) In the 3rd quote Granatelli states that his CAI/MAF/TB/2.5" catback exhaust generates a total additional 48.3 hp vs. bone stock. Assuming the correct fact in (1) is that his CAI/MAF/TB add 23.7 hp, then an additional 24.6 hp is generated(48.3 - 23.7) by just installing his 2.5" catback exhaust system.
That's a lot of extra hp being generated by just a catback exhaust. In fact, it adds approx. as much hp as a combined long tube header/catless X or H pipe system. And that's unheard of.

Would you please explain these discrepancies, Granatelli?
Old 8/9/06, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ski
Things are being misquoted, and numbers are not adding up in the above.

(1) In the 1st 2 quotes, Granatelli states that an additional 23.7 hp was generated by the his CAI/MAF/TB, while in the 3rd quote Granatelli states that the 23.7 hp was generated by just his CAI/MAF.

(2) In the 3rd quote Granatelli states that his CAI/MAF/TB/2.5" catback exhaust generates a total additional 48.3 hp vs. bone stock. Assuming the correct fact in (1) is that his CAI/MAF/TB add 23.7 hp, then an additional 24.6 hp is generated(48.3 - 23.7) by just installing his 2.5" catback exhaust system.
That's a lot of extra hp being generated by just a catback exhaust. In fact, it adds approx. as much hp as a combined long tube header/catless X or H pipe system. And that's unheard of.

Would you please explain these discrepancies, Granatelli?
I am obviously not JR but I think even I can answer this to some extent just from what I was reading in his answers. Your correct in that he says he got 23HP and 9ft.lbs with the CAI & Calibrated MAS WITHOUT the t-body. Now, you add the T-body (another 8 HP and maybe more since it has the other combo) and your up to 31 hp. Add the exhaust (rated at 15 on a STOCK unit) and you have about 46 HP (48.3 to quote the dyno). I don't see any problem with how things add up? Remember, each piece adds a little more to the mix and all 4 items are up in the high 40 hp range...DANG GOOD if you ask me (and not exagerated).

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???