GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/06, 08:00 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
And I've been right here waiting, lol..So, If I'm understanding correctly, when you mentioned that your electronics are calibrated to your intake tube..I get the impression, that your re-calibrated MAF sensor, is in no way modifying nor changing the actual stock tuning files..? Am I correct, so far about this ?? And if I'am.. Is it also true that your re-calibrated electronics, also do not modify any of the stock's timing and spark curve parameters?? such as have the ability to either advance or take away spark and timing, if needed ?? and most of all..The ability, of getting rid of that annoying throttle lag ?? And, If I'm still right..Isn't it also true, that only a hand held tuner, such as your Fuego flash tuner, have the ability to actually modify, the computer's stock tunning files ??? If were still on the same page, where I'm going with this is..Does not the combination of a cold air intake, and flash tuner, provide more overall performance and power gains, than just your cold air intake alone ?? (even with re-calibrated electronics, and no re-flash required) That's were I was going with this, all along JR...So, I hope you have an idea, where I'm coming from..
The flash tool will give anyone the ability to make many changes. So yes. However, our electronics are properly scaled to output the proper data relative to the airflowing through it - it does not alter the timing or load tables as it relates to timing
Old 7/18/06, 04:22 PM
GT Member

So mainly if I would be to give the $300 for your intake I should pretty much see an increase or about 20 rwhp .
Well if so, I dont know what I'm waiting for!
Old 7/18/06, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 7/18/06, 05:58 PM
GT Member

What is it that you dont believe?
Old 7/18/06, 07:05 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RACING GT
So mainly if I would be to give the $300 for your intake I should pretty much see an increase or about 20 rwhp .
Well if so, I dont know what I'm waiting for!
In a word, YEP

Old 7/18/06, 09:26 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Granatelli
The flash tool will give anyone the ability to make many changes. So yes. However, our electronics are properly scaled to output the proper data relative to the airflowing through it - it does not alter the timing or load tables as it relates to timing
JR, could you break down for me what you meant by your electronics are properly scaled to (OUTPUT) the proper (DATA) (RELATIVE) to the airflowing through it.. ??? Thanks, Just when I begin to believe were finally on the same page..You end up throwing me another curve ball...LOL
Old 7/19/06, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor

JR, could you break down for me, what you meant.. by your electronics are properly scaled, to (OUTPUT) the proper (DATA), (RELATIVE) to the airflowing through it.. ??? Thanks.. Just when I begin to believe, were finally on the same page..You end up throwing me, another curve ball...LOL
Blaster said it best

I'm no expert but here's what I gather from lot's of reading:

A cold air intake is in most cases a larger diameter Mass Air Flow(MAF) housing using the existing stock MA sensor which is calibrated for the stock MAF housing. Since the stock MA sensor in a larger diameter MAF housing does not send the correct values to the PCM then a tune is needed to compensate, else you run too lean. Most people don't recommend installing a CAI using the stock MA sensor *without* a tune.

Granatelli CAI on the other hand includes a larger diameter MAF housing *but* it also includes a new MA sensor that is calibrated to the new diameter MAF housing, therefore it sends the correct values to the PCM and no tune is needed to compensate. If this is entirely true then the engine should not run lean with the MAS calibrated for that diameter MAF.

But when you get a tune there are other tweaks that almost certainly mean that you will get more HP and Torque gains out of a CAI plus tune then you can from any CAI by itself (calibrated MAS or not).

So I would say the Granatelli unit is a lot better than a CAI by itself with no tune but not as good as a CAI with tune.

If you don't want to flash because of warranty issues, want a unit you can put back to stock real quick and don't worry about re-flashing to factory, and want to spend about $200 to $300 less than most packages (because most need the tuner) then this would probably be a good choice.

Now we just need to hear from some people that have actually installed and used one of these. <g>
Old 7/19/06, 05:07 PM

Thanks to both you and Blaster, at least now I fully understand where you were going with all this JR.. And as you said Blaster.. Now we just need to hear from some people that have actually installed and used one of these...
Old 7/19/06, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks to both you and Blaster, at least now..I fully understand, where you were going, with all this JR.. And as you said, Blaster.. Now, we just need to hear from some people, that have actually installed and used one of these...
Well how can I help with that
Old 7/19/06, 10:42 PM

Well how can I help with that
JR, you've done all you could possibly do and then some..Nobody can expect any more than that..Just from you taking the time to throughly explain how you were able to recalibrate the stock MAF sensor to you're intake tube..Has been helpful in more ways, than one..Now it's up to you're customers to post their results and opinions..
Old 7/19/06, 10:48 PM
Former Vendor

JR, you've done all you could possibly do, and then some..Nobody can expect any more, than that..Now, it's up to you're customers, to post their results and opinions..Just knowing and understanding, how you were able to, recalibrate the stock MAF sensor, to you're intake tube..Has helped, in more ways.. than one..
Why are you still awake
Old 7/19/06, 11:10 PM

Why are you still awake
Just awake long enough to edit my last response.. In order to make sure were on the same page..Goodnight LOL.
Old 7/20/06, 08:58 AM
Former Vendor

Just awake long enough, to edit my last response..Just to make sure, were on the same page..Goodnight LOL.
Now it is good morning
Old 7/21/06, 12:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Joe, Can you recommend any distributors for this new cai? It's great that there's a product available that doesn't need a reflash. I suspect that alot of the nay sayers have invested twice as much cashola in their cai because of the tunner and now have cai envy.
Old 7/21/06, 02:33 AM
Cobra Member

the concept of this product is to stay away from a handheld tuner purchase. Basically its for those who dont wish to modify their vehicles past a "cold air intake" and cat back muffler for increased engine output.

CAI envy you say.... far from it.

-Dan
Old 7/21/06, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
the concept of this product is to stay away from a handheld tuner purchase. Basically its for those who dont wish to modify their vehicles past a "cold air intake" and cat back muffler for increased engine output.

CAI envy you say.... far from it.

-Dan
So, Am I wasting my $$$ if all I want is a CAI and axle backs?? The only real reason I want axle backs is sound, and CAI 'cause I hear so much about them. I might just do the axle backs and be done with perf mods....

Back to show mods
Old 7/21/06, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

this "article" that is in MM&FF says PAID ADVERTISEMENT at the top of it in the magazine, they cut it out on the pdf on the site. 40hp and 37lbft tq. RIGHT. its not a real, actually proven "article" if its a paid ad that just looks like an article to fool mo-rons. lets see a real test
Old 7/21/06, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
So, Am I wasting my $$$ if all I want is a CAI and axle backs?? The only real reason I want axle backs is sound, and CAI 'cause I hear so much about them. I might just do the axle backs and be done with perf mods....

Back to show mods
No, you are not wasting your money but you are possibly overspending if you do have a goal of CAI and cat backs and dont stick with it.

But what does that really matter anyways, not many people stick with original plans.

-Dan
Old 7/21/06, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cleveland
No, you are not wasting your money but you are possibly overspending if you do have a goal of CAI and cat backs and dont stick with it.

But what does that really matter anyways, not many people stick with original plans.

-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatter
40 rwhp and 37.5 rwt without a reflash is huge! Has Bamachips messed with this CAI/MAF yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman
I did. On the top of the page it says "PAID ADVERTISEMENT". If you expect us to believe that MM&FF reviewed your product because it is an ad in the magazine that looks like a review, we're not all that dumb. You guys are looking shadier all the time.

Come on guys – some of you are really working hard at trying to find a flaw in an otherwise great product. This article in Mustanglife was written by Dan Sanchez. You are welcome to check it out and confirm.

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/tenarticle.asp?aid=2550&sid=21

The article by John Delaney is a re-do of the original by Ten magazine. A few of you are making it out like we are trying to hide the fact that we paid to have the article reprinted. It states paid advertisement and the reason our web does not is because we did not pay to put it on our own site.

Ahh the internet, give a person the chance to create a problem and they will. If some of you feel the jury is still out on this part then we accept that. Like I said from Day One, if anyone feels they must purchase a $350 flash tool to make their cold air intake work we offer the CIA with no electronics. Just order the part number 410040-1 for satin finish or 410040-P1 for polished finish.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/05mustang/coldairinduction.htm

If anyone thinks they can purchase a higher flowing nicer part, please consider us for your other S197 needs.

Our CIA offers the largest inside diameter inlet I have seen, it has the bosses built into the part for single or dual stage nitrous and it is all one piece.

I have conceded that a flash tool will allow you to make as much power as possible. It should for the extra $350.00 you spend. Since 1992 there have been companies that calibrated the MAF electronics for your Mustangs and there has never been any question. Now all of a sudden for 2005 and beyond a few of you have memory loss.

Know this, 4 of my competitors have contacted the folks at Hitachi and tried to purchase our co branded technology. While they say it isn’t so they secretly try to get their hands on it. – Plain and simple we can scale the slot in meters just like everyone has been doing since 1992. We just figured out the slot-in stuff first. A year from now I bet other CIA companies will have figured it out. In the meantime we offer a beautiful part for a bit less money because you don’t need to reflash. (But you always have that option)
Old 7/21/06, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I want is a consumers report style test, or in other words, confirmation of your claims by a third party that I know and trust well. I would expect the same if a JLT3 CAI came out that made big claims, I would be skeptical until a third party verified the claims. If someone like Brenspeed or Bamachips confirms your claims then I'll be the first in line to get your CAI but not until that happens.

And in response to your posted articles on your CAI, I view those akin to a study that comes out saying drinking a glass of red wine a day lowers your risk of heart attack when I find out the study was funded by the wine industry. So don't take offense, just realize that people are naturally skeptical these days and time will tell if your claims have merit or not.

Thank you

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???