Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/23, 08:53 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,755 Likes on 2,039 Posts
You Can't Beat Hands On Experience Input! And Paul is the Man to Boot!

Funny Almost Every Hood I Have Popped Lately while Helping Folks Out Has Stuck And a Turn of the Adjustment Bumper was The Cure!

Here is a Thought As Well Have You Tried Pushing Passenger Side Pin First Then Drivers Side???

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 3/16/23 at 09:05 AM.
Old 3/17/23, 11:03 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by svopaul
Those hood pins are made by Quik-latch products for Ford. I've installed a few here in my shop, typically they shouldn't need lubrication but that couldn't hurt. It may just be a simple adjustment needed. So long as the were installed properly that is...there is only really the height adjustment but if that is off a little bit then they could stick. The fact that you have to push the hood back towards the cowl tells me that maybe they are just a touch too far back and I've found that you can also do a very light tweak but putting a deep well socket over the top and pry toward the front of the car just so lightly and it may adjust it just enough. You are right not to trust a dealership on this as it's unlikely any of the "techs" know what they are doing in this area unless they have been specifically trained for it or have a history in building cars.
Thanks for the response Paul. I looked at the QUIK latch site, but the ones they sell are not like mine even though they put on their site that they come on these cars. What you said about the deep well socket made perfect sense to an old car guy like me and my dad. However, the pin part in the core support of these are not a stud, it pivots around like a joystick and the receiver (best description I can think of) under the hood is like an aluminum cone that directs it into the hole till it latches. The base surround in the core support has 3 screws. I popped it and looked under with a flashlight and could see the pin was leaning towards the passenger side. Loosened the base plate on the pin part and moved it as far as it would go to the passenger side and that fixed 80 percent of it, but still sticky. Gonna do some more tinkering. I'll take some pics when I can, it's covered right now because of the heavy pollen. But I appreciate the info, thank you, it helped me get a better idea of where to go.

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
You Can't Beat Hands On Experience Input! And Paul is the Man to Boot!

Funny Almost Every Hood I Have Popped Lately while Helping Folks Out Has Stuck And a Turn of the Adjustment Bumper was The Cure!

Here is a Thought As Well Have You Tried Pushing Passenger Side Pin First Then Drivers Side???

KC
Thanks KC, really appreciate your input. Tried all of that and no dice.
I honestly think it's minor hood adjustment, which I don't want to get into on a new car, especially with this paint. Hopefully I can redneck engineer enough adjustment out of the base where the pin baseplate goes into the core support.
Old 3/17/23, 11:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

This all came up because I had PPF put on the front bumper/clip this week. Embarrassing to have to explain how to open the hood to a guy that does Ferraris and Porches and such.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rather B.Blown:
edumspeed (3/24/23), Stage_3 (3/18/23)
Old 3/18/23, 12:17 PM
Service Manager

Received 440 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Thanks for the response Paul. I looked at the QUIK latch site, but the ones they sell are not like mine even though they put on their site that they come on these cars. What you said about the deep well socket made perfect sense to an old car guy like me and my dad. However, the pin part in the core support of these are not a stud, it pivots around like a joystick and the receiver (best description I can think of) under the hood is like an aluminum cone that directs it into the hole till it latches. The base surround in the core support has 3 screws. I popped it and looked under with a flashlight and could see the pin was leaning towards the passenger side. Loosened the base plate on the pin part and moved it as far as it would go to the passenger side and that fixed 80 percent of it, but still sticky. Gonna do some more tinkering. I'll take some pics when I can, it's covered right now because of the heavy pollen. But I appreciate the info, thank you, it helped me get a better idea of where to go.

Glad it helped a little. The cone portion sounds just like what I have here on my desk but the "joystick" part does sound different...I'd love to see some pics for comparison.
Old 3/18/23, 12:36 PM

Yep,

Inquiring Minds Want to Know! in The Good Old Days I would Already Have Been all Over the Details! Just Walk Up Front to the Showroom and a Test Drive to Boot!

MEMORIES!

Nothing good Lasts Forever!

Kc
Old 3/18/23, 12:58 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,224 Posts
Be still my beating heart!!!
She's gorgeous!
Old 3/18/23, 01:05 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Glad it helped a little. The cone portion sounds just like what I have here on my desk but the "joystick" part does sound different...I'd love to see some pics for comparison.
I'll get some better ones when I get a chance, just cropped these from some I had. When I said joystick I should have been more descriptive. It will move any direction like a joystick, but it doesn't have any resistance at all and doesn't go back to the center like one. They just flop in what ever direction gravity is pulling them. You can flick it with the tip of your finger and it'll flop whatever direction.

Old 3/18/23, 01:07 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Be still my beating heart!!!
She's gorgeous!
Thanks Tony, saw yours the other day when you posted, I love that car.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/18/23 at 01:09 PM.
Old 3/18/23, 01:47 PM
Service Manager

I'll get some better ones when I get a chance, just cropped these from some I had. When I said joystick I should have been more descriptive. It will move any direction like a joystick, but it doesn't have any resistance at all and doesn't go back to the center like one. They just flop in what ever direction gravity is pulling them. You can flick it with the tip of your finger and it'll flop whatever direction.

Interesting....wonder why they went that route? Must have something to do with some odd requirement Ford imposted on them. I could see that style having and issue of sorts possible.
Old 3/18/23, 09:10 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Interesting....wonder why they went that route? Must have something to do with some odd requirement Ford imposted on them. I could see that style having and issue of sorts possible.
Only reason I can think of is because of time and mass manufacturing. A lot different than installing a stud type like the ones you're talking about on an existing car already built, you would be drilling and lining up the holes in the hood to match the stud pin, only thing I can think of is on these the holes in the hood are already there and they needed a way for the pin to hit in the vicinity close enough to account for a hodd that was already installed and the hood alignment could be off a little.

TBH, they feel flimsy as heck, not very thick and flopping around like they do.
Old 3/18/23, 09:14 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

You've got a lot more contacts and chances to see or deal with them, if you hear anything I'd really appreciate it if you let me know anything you come across. Thanks Paul.
Old 3/19/23, 12:02 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Anybody seen the episode of Overhaulin' on motor trend channel when they do the 16 Gt350? That thing looks amazing finished. Season 10 episode 10 according to my tv.
Old 3/19/23, 08:58 AM
Service Manager

Only reason I can think of is because of time and mass manufacturing. A lot different than installing a stud type like the ones you're talking about on an existing car already built, you would be drilling and lining up the holes in the hood to match the stud pin, only thing I can think of is on these the holes in the hood are already there and they needed a way for the pin to hit in the vicinity close enough to account for a hodd that was already installed and the hood alignment could be off a little.

TBH, they feel flimsy as heck, not very thick and flopping around like they do.
That may be the case...this design would allow for variances in production...also speed of assembly.

You've got a lot more contacts and chances to see or deal with them, if you hear anything I'd really appreciate it if you let me know anything you come across. Thanks Paul.
Will do, While I get a fair amount of GT500's in...I haven't gotten any of the S550's in yet.
Old 3/19/23, 09:27 AM

Lee,

Wish I Could Be There for Some Hands On! I have Done My Share of Hood Pin Install's, Old School and a Fair Amount of Panel & Latch Alignment. I should Have an Honorary Degree in okie Engineering by Now as Well! I Know Paul Will Be All over the First 500 He Comes Across to Check Them Pins Out Up Close!

KC

Old 3/20/23, 06:40 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Lee,

Wish I Could Be There for Some Hands On! I have Done My Share of Hood Pin Install's, Old School and a Fair Amount of Panel & Latch Alignment. I should Have an Honorary Degree in okie Engineering by Now as Well! I Know Paul Will Be All over the First 500 He Comes Across to Check Them Pins Out Up Close!

KC

I'm headed up to Ponies in the Smokies in a couple days so I'm sure there will be a few up there to look at...I'll ask if they are experiencing any issues as well.
Old 3/24/23, 07:00 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Anybody got any ideas or thoughts on whether or not I should put the front "wickers" on that came with the handling package? It's those spats (as I call them) that attach to the front splitter and go vertical up to the fender. I didn't let them do the normal PDI stuff on it so all the handling package stuff was in the trunk and the splitter and Gurney flap was inside. I did let them put the oil separator on and splitter, and I put the Gurney flap on the spoiler. But the wickers are still in the trunk.

I go both ways, it looks mean as hell and aggressive with them on, but also looks like it'll be a bear to wash and wax around. Not to mention it looks like it'll catch rocks, bugs, debris, etc like crazy, and would be easy to get a pant leg or something caught on it and break something.

Old 3/24/23, 07:39 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

This part here.

Old 3/24/23, 11:07 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,665 Posts
IMHO I'd leave them off because of what you said about them being a PITA to wash & wax.
Old 3/25/23, 07:20 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Hope all our Alabama and Mississippi friends and members are alright.
The following users liked this post:
Stage_3 (3/26/23)
Old 3/27/23, 08:14 AM
Service Manager

Hope all our Alabama and Mississippi friends and members are alright.
All good here....no damage...but we were up in TN at Ponies in the Smokies when it went through. Some strong winds up there...one friend had a flying roof shingle damage the front of his pace car finish.
The following users liked this post:
Stage_3 (3/27/23)

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast