2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/13, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about they leave it blank like nearly every other car in existence. You are driving. You have no need for anything over there. Go take a look inside a race car and see how many gauges they have mounted over in that area. Zero. I'm sure they can make some sort of nice looking plastic or metal designed piece for that area to look pretty. Because that's all it should be used for. Put a little pony or something in the design of it or something if you must. To me, a nice brushed aluminum trim or something is all it needs and be done with it. Let's not get too fancy here. I had an ex-gf that drove a Dodge Caliber (piece of trash, her and the car), anyway it had like 3 different compartments over there and may have even had a cooler built into it or something stupid and unnecessary like that. Either way it had storage compartments galore over there and I found it totally unnecessary and ridiculous. Stuff an airbag in there, a glovebox underneath, and be done.

Last edited by flynavy; 10/12/13 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10/12/13, 10:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

No, blank is too dull looking. Maybe they could put a backlit image of the running Mustang logo above the glove box.
Old 10/12/13, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
No, blank is too dull looking. Maybe they could put a backlit image of the running Mustang logo above the glove box.
Yeah that's fine. But something functional as far as any type of display things for the driver to use is just too risky to even expect someone to use.
Old 10/12/13, 10:21 PM
Cobra Member

Talking

Too risky ? A quick glance is not that risky. Do you not look around at the road signs to find exits off of road. People are too risk aware to enjoy new ideas. If a person is not suffering from tunnel vision, a slight movement of the head would be enough to get a quick visual image of a gauge reading. Just because an idea is different, does not make it a bad idea.
Old 10/12/13, 11:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Too risky ? A quick glance is not that risky. Do you not look around at the road signs to find exits off of road. People are too risk aware to enjoy new ideas. If a person is not suffering from tunnel vision, a slight movement of the head would be enough to get a quick visual image of a gauge reading. Just because an idea is different, does not make it a bad idea.
You must be insane. I'm not going to look over to the passenger dashboard to monitor anything my car is doing. I barely look at the screen of my nav unit in the console much less look over to the passenger airbag area to look at any type of gauge or monitor. No **** way. You can have fun running off the road or rear ending another car. I'll keep my 2012 GT with its plain passenger dashboard. I don't know where you live but exit signs are generally in front of cars here and are usually visible from out the windshield above the road surface. If you have to look to the passenger side to see an exit sign, you've already missed it. I'd also venture to say probaby 1% Of cars on this forum are so highly modified and driven so hard that you need gauges everywhere to monitor all of this. Look at race car designs. They don't mount gauges all the way over there. Race cars are purely about function. So why would you want something different?

Last edited by flynavy; 10/12/13 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10/13/13, 12:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Can we get a :banhammer: already? Enough of this bullsh*t.
Old 10/13/13, 10:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We should totally have gauges by the rear window.
I can check my blindspot and oil temp at the same time.
It would save SO much time!
Old 10/13/13, 12:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
We should totally have gauges by the rear window.
I can check my blindspot and oil temp at the same time.
It would save SO much time!
Put the battery under the drivers seat. Better weight distribution.
Old 10/13/13, 11:14 PM
Cobra Member

Cool

I don't know that the battery under the drivers seat would give that much better weight distribution. I would say right behind the rear axle. Too far back and you can get a pendulum effect going hard around a corner. The lower the battery weight, the better the center of gravity. Why mount a battery just below the base of the windshield as in the current Mustang ?
Old 10/14/13, 12:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Here is a dumb one. My Audi had a light blue tint on the side mirrors. It took the glare off of lights that were pointing to high. It's just about all I miss from Audi. I would love that on a mustang.
Old 10/14/13, 04:23 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know that the battery under the drivers seat would give that much better weight distribution. I would say right behind the rear axle. Too far back and you can get a pendulum effect going hard around a corner. The lower the battery weight, the better the center of gravity. Why mount a battery just below the base of the windshield as in the current Mustang ?
It sits inside the wheelbase for better protections and doesn't intrude into the passenger cell. The battery's location does still provide some benefit to handling since it is closer to the center of the car even if it is up high.

Mounting it lower in the front would have most likely forced the battery into the wheel well and intruded into the passenger cell reducing the size of the foot area. Same with the trunk on the current car, the SRA takes up a fair amount of space and some people insist on having a spare tire so mounting the battery in the trunk would have meant a substantial for Mustang loss of space.

The S550 might not have these issues with its IRS but the Mustangs trunk is still a small one and might preclude the battery in the trunk even on the new car.

Ford could always go the hi-tech route and start using an LI battery to reduce size and weight, added bonus, it increases the probability of the car burning to the ground like certain Italian exotics seem to do of late.
Old 10/14/13, 04:25 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Put the battery under the drivers seat. Better weight distribution.
Pfft.... In the console, that way its right smack in the middle of the car!
Old 10/14/13, 06:07 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Here is a dumb one. My Audi had a light blue tint on the side mirrors. It took the glare off of lights that were pointing to high. It's just about all I miss from Audi. I would love that on a mustang.
The Fusion offers an auto dimming side mirror. Hopefully those come over to Mustang. They work great at night.
Old 10/14/13, 06:09 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

The Fusion offers an auto dimming side mirror. Hopefully those come over to Mustang. They work great at night.
Man, I hope they work better than the auto-dimming mirror on my car. It only seems to dim when it wants to, not when I need it to.
Old 10/14/13, 06:11 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bob
Man, I hope they work better than the auto-dimming mirror on my car. It only seems to dim when it wants to, not when I need it to.
My fiancee's Mazda6 has the driver's side as well. At night, it dims quickly when someone has their lights in it. I've had no issues with it so far.
Old 10/14/13, 10:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That would be even more amazing. My eyes are very light sensitive.
Old 10/14/13, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Question

Where is the battery placed in the Cobra Jet Mustang drag cars ?
Old 10/14/13, 09:46 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Where is the battery placed in the Cobra Jet Mustang drag cars ?
In the trunk but CJ's don't have to carry luggage or groceries or even a spare.

Take for example how much space the Shaker 1000 subs take up in the trunk of the S-197.
Old 10/15/13, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

Cool

All I ask is for the SVT GT350 or SVT GT500 to have an option where the buyer can have the option of having the battery in the trunk as the Cobra Jet is so equipped. Now that is not such a bad idea. I rest my case.
Old 10/15/13, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

All I ask is for the SVT GT350 or SVT GT500 to have an option where the buyer can have the option of having the battery in the trunk as the Cobra Jet is so equipped. Now that is not such a bad idea. I rest my case.
Isn't going to happen as an option. Either they all will or they all won't.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?