2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/13, 01:19 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive modes. Tie in steering, stability control, exhaust sound, etc. into a few different settings and let the user decide.

Auto transmission - go to a smaller shifter or eliminate it on the auto totally. Use a ****, slider, or something else to reduce clutter on the center stack. If the car gains paddle shifters, this becomes even more crucial.

Heated/cooled seats. Offer them for the non-track cars. After a few hot days in a Super Duty equipped with them, cooled seats are well worth a look.

Interior color options. During the '10-14 years, they made strides in this. Get away from changing trim panel colors and change inserts and offer more choices. If a customer is ordering the car, allow them any combination they want. Black, grey, tan, red, and blue seats would be a nice choice. Offer aluminum, carbon fiber, and other finishes across the dash to improve and allow for further customization. Make them dealer-installed even.
Old 8/22/13, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Drive modes. Tie in steering, stability control, exhaust sound, etc. into a few different settings and let the user decide.

Auto transmission - go to a smaller shifter or eliminate it on the auto totally. Use a ****, slider, or something else to reduce clutter on the center stack. If the car gains paddle shifters, this becomes even more crucial.

Heated/cooled seats. Offer them for the non-track cars. After a few hot days in a Super Duty equipped with them, cooled seats are well worth a look.

Interior color options. During the '10-14 years, they made strides in this. Get away from changing trim panel colors and change inserts and offer more choices. If a customer is ordering the car, allow them any combination they want. Black, grey, tan, red, and blue seats would be a nice choice. Offer aluminum, carbon fiber, and other finishes across the dash to improve and allow for further customization. Make them dealer-installed even.
This, especially the interior choices. Do you remember my post, months ago, outlining my vision for interior options? I basically broke it down to Base, Premium, Premium Plus, with the Premium Plus option having multiple options for color, material and trim - a la Lincoln Black Label and/or Mercedes Designo.
Old 8/22/13, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Why doesn't anyone make a t top anymore? In high school one of my buddies had them on his fox body and I had them on my 300z. I love t tops. Yes, I'm old.
Old 8/22/13, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about a black steering wheel option with the red interior, love the red interior but the steering wheel is just one red part too many
Old 8/22/13, 03:10 PM

DEFINITELY COOL SEATS. how hard is it to copy others technology? do it!
Old 8/23/13, 06:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
Why doesn't anyone make a t top anymore?
Because they leak.......provide wind noise and reduce structural regidity!! Yes, I had a 300zx too
Old 8/23/13, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Because they leak.......provide wind noise and reduce structural regidity!! Yes, I had a 300zx too
I'm gonna call BS on that. Hasn't the Corvette had a removable roof, which should be less rigid than a T-Top, nonstop since 1968?

Also seems if they can make convertible tops leak proof they could make a T-top leak proof by now. I actually think a foldable targa type roof panel that could fit in the trunk would be an even better idea.
Old 8/23/13, 08:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever

I'm gonna call BS on that. Hasn't the Corvette had a removable roof, which should be less rigid than a T-Top, nonstop since 1968?

Also seems if they can make convertible tops leak proof they could make a T-top leak proof by now. I actually think a foldable targa type roof panel that could fit in the trunk would be an even better idea.
That would be cool! I'd love a targa top.
Old 8/24/13, 12:39 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever

You can call it BS if you like, but that was certainly MY experience with an otherwise immaculate 1991 300zx. Given the superb air con, I probably took the roof off no more than a dozen times. For me, the T-Tops were not worth the compromise.

Sure, 20 years of development should ensure better water sealing and certainly better torsional regidity

Name:  VirginiaWaterNov06008.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  97.4 KB
Name:  VirginiaWaterNov06005.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  98.5 KB
Old 8/24/13, 03:56 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

You can call it BS if you like, but that was certainly MY experience with an otherwise immaculate 1991 300zx. Given the superb air con, I probably took the roof off no more than a dozen times. For me, the T-Tops were not worth the compromise.

Sure, 20 years of development should ensure better water sealing and certainly better torsional regidity
Off-Topic . . .

Darn good looking Z!
Old 8/24/13, 06:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Also off topic:

Early 90's Japanese Sports Cars are future collectibles worthy of B-J auctions. The 300, the Supra, the RX-7 bubble roof, the NSX and even some limited edition Miata's. grab 'me now while they are cheap.
Old 8/24/13, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2

Also off topic:

Early 90's Japanese Sports Cars are future collectibles worthy of B-J auctions. The 300, the Supra, the RX-7 bubble roof, the NSX and even some limited edition Miata's. grab 'me now while they are cheap.
I guess cheap is a relative term since finding a good used version of any of those will set u back about 30k or more.
Old 8/24/13, 01:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Automagically

I guess cheap is a relative term since finding a good used version of any of those will set u back about 30k or more.
Good point. How about value priced with very little downside.
Old 8/24/13, 02:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point. How about value priced with very little downside.
I do agree with you though. Look at the Celicas, AE86s. All going up in price. It kind of sucks really. Great that the early 90s imports are doing so well but it's a little frustrating to us that would love to get our hands on a cheap one.

Oh well, there are some great cars on the road now, let alone the old heroes.
Old 8/24/13, 03:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Automagically

I do agree with you though. Look at the Celicas, AE86s. All going up in price. It kind of sucks really. Great that the early 90s imports are doing so well but it's a little frustrating to us that would love to get our hands on a cheap one.

Oh well, there are some great cars on the road now, let alone the old heroes.
The hard part is finding an unmolested example. Back in the day I worked on the Nissan account but wanted the RX-7. Now I can't find an unmodded one.
Old 8/24/13, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wasn't calling BS on your actual experience rather that those experiences 20yrs ago would be the reason we can't have t-tops or targa tops today.

And I always liked those 300zx's and yours looks great!
Old 8/25/13, 03:22 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The hard part is finding an unmolested example. Back in the day I worked on the Nissan account but wanted the RX-7. Now I can't find an unmodded one.
It seems like the fate of any affordable FD RX-7 is to be LSx-ified.

I appreciate the work to do that and saw a nice red FD with an LS motor in it this weekend but man its to bad it still didn't have the rotary in it.
Old 10/8/13, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like we are getting push button start but I would much rather have to turn a physical key. Just my opinion.
Old 10/8/13, 09:56 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by SynisterGT
Looks like we are getting push button start but I would much rather have to turn a physical key. Just my opinion.
I'd rather get out and turn a crank in the front

Old 10/9/13, 06:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I would say that is why T-Tops and Sun Roofs and Targas are options. If I had T-Tops or a Targa I would have it out about 30% of the time. Weather permitting. I know when I had my 84 CRX with the old drop in sunroof I took the panel out when ever it was not over 98deg , below 65 deg or when raining. A well design open roof and proper window dynamic and good vent opening I do not need AC on an open Highway.

Problem is if I open all the window on my 06 VW the air flow beats the crap out of you and the noise is horrendous. This was not the case on the CRX nor was it the case on my 02 GT . Window down in the GT was fine. Unless you were in the back seat LOL.

just saying.

Last edited by Brewman; 10/9/13 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?