05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/07, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Hugh? A heat gun? I've used them frequently and have never had a problem w/ paint lifting. Where'd you hear that?
No, not a heat gun. It is called the Inductor. It does a nice job but can lift the paint. Thanks. http://www.theinductor.com/
Old 6/15/07, 07:07 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
No, not a heat gun. It is called the Inductor. It does a nice job but can lift the paint. Thanks. http://www.theinductor.com/
Those are sweet. Most shops don't even have those. They are great to remove body moldings, etc from undamaged panels before you paint. I've never seen one actually damage paint before. If that happens it's probably a poor paint job to begin with, or possibly some lift over some filler. I doubt it'd be a problem over a factory paint job. I'd say there's a lot less probability of damage using an inductor than using a cutting tool or paino wire just millimeters from the paint. As with always, pick a shop that guarantees their work, and let them do it as they're most comfortable with.
Old 6/15/07, 08:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well I finished the installation of the louvers about an hour ago. And I must say they DO look good. Im very happy with my purchase. Tomorrow I'll do a leak check and then put the interior back in. Long install...

How long did you all let your louvers dry before you took them on the road? Rather how long should they dry in general?
Old 6/15/07, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Those are sweet. Most shops don't even have those. They are great to remove body moldings, etc from undamaged panels before you paint. I've never seen one actually damage paint before. If that happens it's probably a poor paint job to begin with, or possibly some lift over some filler. I doubt it'd be a problem over a factory paint job. I'd say there's a lot less probability of damage using an inductor than using a cutting tool or paino wire just millimeters from the paint. As with always, pick a shop that guarantees their work, and let them do it as they're most comfortable with.
Well it does lift factory paint. The bond to the glass was released amost immediately however the paint did start to come away from the pimch weld. They are great tools but every glass shop I talked warned that it can lift paint. The glass company I used does all the high end cars in town and they have done work for me in the past. As careful as they are it still happened. Thankfully they stopped in time and we were able to repair wuthout a quarter repaint. I'm just speaking from experience and as these tools become more common there are downsides. The glass companys usually use them for body shop jobs where they don't have to worry about the paint but it makes a clean job of saving the glass.

Sam
Old 6/15/07, 08:48 PM

Here are a few pics. Thanks to Marcelo and the entire SHR group for a great product.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc00343-medium-.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc00331-medium-.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc00356-medium-.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc00335-medium-.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc00345-medium-.jpg  

Old 6/15/07, 09:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lookin' good there Sasquatch! Nice choice of color I might add!
Old 6/15/07, 09:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Here are a few pics. Thanks to Marcelo and the entire SHR group for a great product.

Sam
Wow... If I wouldn't have gotten a Redfire Mustang I would have definatly gone with Vista Blue... Can't wait till tomorrow when I can get mine all washed and waxed to show off!
Old 6/16/07, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys,

Did any of you paint the backside (inside)? These pieces somewhat take the color painted on the outside.... My wife's are Sonic Blue. I'm thinking of painting the backside charcoal / black so it's close to the interior color...

BTW, stopped by one glass shop today for an estimate and they refused to do the job.... Didn't even want to look at the louvers!

Willie
Old 6/16/07, 02:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie
Guys,

Did any of you paint the backside (inside)? These pieces somewhat take the color painted on the outside.... My wife's are Sonic Blue. I'm thinking of painting the backside charcoal / black so it's close to the interior color...

BTW, stopped by one glass shop today for an estimate and they refused to do the job.... Didn't even want to look at the louvers!

Willie
Shoot your first layer as black primer. That way, when you look through the backside, you see the black primer. Painting the inside would be a lot of extra work for nothing.
Old 6/16/07, 04:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie
Guys,

Willie
my first set I painted myself, was in a big hurry to get them put on, and didnt notice the paint shop sold me the wrong reducer for the special black primer- was Sunday, so had to use some compatible grey epoxy I already had...but then had to paint the insides black...had some black polycarbonate spray paint for r-c car/heli bodies- only bad thing was its a shiny black, and kinda stood out inside the car...a satin charcoal would be great, but it HAS to be compatible wih lexan or it could likey peel. the prepaints I got second time around(didnt use adhesion promoter first time, and urethane pulled away 4 months later- while I had them out was going to wetsand/buff out the clearcoat- I didnt have as much clear on as I thought and promptly rubbed thru the paint...) from SHR had the black primer and inside the color looks pretty decent- a little grayish probably from the tint, but not as noticeable as the gloss black for sure.

for the PITA it is to paint these things, its hard to go wrong with the prepaints...I spent that much or more the first time around just for materials...cant buy paint in less than pints, and primers,basecoat,clearcoats all need extra hardeners/additives, etc- and spraying 'down in a hole' is a royal pain...I would have to guess any body shop doing one set cold turkey would either have an extremely difficult time or be unwilling to take enough time as its kinda tedious...at least if you get prepaints, the guys doing them have seen several hundred sets and would probably do a better job than most shops might the first time around...its a very cool part, but the very shape that looks so good on the cars is tough to paint- theres some kinda difficult masking alignment, and tape lines that have to be as perfect as humanly possible...nature of the beast.

If your going to have a bodyshop paint them, be sure they will be willing to replace them if they make a mistake- you only get one shot at spraying unless youve got a bunch of time to waste in stripping to redo...if even possible.
with the prepaints they look them over before shipping, so if somethings amiss, they just throw away, pull another set...
Old 6/16/07, 04:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i think i am just going to buy them painted and see if i can find a place to do it if not i will just buy the install kit and do it myself
Old 6/16/07, 09:11 PM
GT Member

Glass shop I went to, did the entire job from the outside without removing any of the interior. Total time: 20 min, Cost $120.

Maybe call some other glass shops.
Old 6/16/07, 10:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
This thread rocks
Old 6/17/07, 06:12 AM
Cobra Member

These SHR louvers are fantastic and I want to install a set, but before I commit I want to find a place here in Houston that will do the install. Anyone have any suggestions on a good installation outfit?

Thanks
Old 6/18/07, 09:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I only have one picture taken on my friends cell phone. Anyways this should do till I can get better pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-n902920594_645654_8365.jpg  
Old 6/19/07, 12:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicely done John! welcome to the SHR family.
Old 6/19/07, 05:08 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by JonCo
I only have one picture taken on my friends cell phone. Anyways this should do till I can get better pictures.

looks great-so what do you think now that theyre in???

I think they look even better seen 'in real life' than in pictures, and Ford should offer these as an option- but thats just one guys opinion

So did you install yourself?
Old 6/19/07, 05:41 AM
GT Member

Screamin' yellow louvers

guys (and gals)

how are the paint matchups on screamin' yellow

mine's an '05 mid july delivery
Old 6/19/07, 07:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ShowGT
Nicely done John! welcome to the SHR family.
Lol, So i earned my strips. With this car Im doing things I'd never dream I'd do. Ripping out the interior of a brand new car and cutting out glass... Wow. But thats just aprt of the fun

Originally Posted by ford4v429
looks great-so what do you think now that theyre in???

I think they look even better seen 'in real life' than in pictures, and Ford should offer these as an option- but thats just one guys opinion

So did you install yourself?
Oh yeah they look SOOO much better in person and bigger. I really like how they look and from the attention I draw driving the public does also. I think Im the second mustang in the area with these. I've only seen one other mustang who had an Elenor bodykit(looked nice, redfire) have these louvers.

Yeah did the install myself. Just me and my dad and a few hours arguments and laughs. Lol. That picture which I posted was not of a complete install. You cant really tell but the interior is not installed just put in. We'd finish the install at 9:30 the night before and weren't able to test for leaks till the morning.

But right now my cars in the shop trying to get some problems ironed out. We'll see how that goes and then more pictures this weekend. Better shots.
Old 6/22/07, 04:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Hotttttttttt

Well I got the car back, and oh my god! These louvers are freakin awesome. Thank you so much marcello and the gang! I cant wait for the new stuff to come out! Well heres a couple of pics I just took in the morning. I'll have to take some more pictures after a wash and some sunlight,LOL. I also got new painted 10 " satin silver stripes for an amazing deal. The guy did a great job. He also repainted my bumper where I had rubbed it on a garage. So shes almost brand new again. Well hope we see some new stuff soon marcello. Later all

P.S. If your on the fence of getting these, dont be!
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-louvers.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-louvers2.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-louvers3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass