Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Brake upgrades for the track after reviews

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/11, 12:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which I am not clear on. Have read this braking section 2 or 3 times now. I have dot 4 fluid/brake cooling ducts and want to improve the braking feel and power and bite. I have yet to run R tires more for simplicity than anything else. I have tracked quite a bit so am not a novice. Was thinking of pfc01 or dct 60 on the front with track dedicated rotor. Can I do this and just run stock pads and rotors on the back or will I have problems. Without R comps am I going to engage abs too frequently? thanks for your help.
Old 8/15/11, 12:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt you will have an issue. Braking grip is greatly dependent on the tire; r compounds will be more prone to an abs fit than street tires will be.
Old 8/15/11, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Only one way to find out...

I'd say do the upgraded pads/rotors in front now, see how it goes. My guess is you'll burn through the stock rear pads much quicker, and probably have more understeer on trail braking?? If you're not happy with it, then do the rears.

As suggested above, you might want to go to a more aggressive but still streetable rear pad, like the HP Plus. The stock Boss pads are supposed to be upgraded from the standard 5.0, does anybody know who/what they use?
Old 8/15/11, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Can I do this and just run stock pads and rotors on the back or will I have problems. Without R comps am I going to engage abs too frequently? thanks for your help.
One of the components of braking is grip. R-compounds will offer more grip than that of street tires. Finding a braking compound you like (HP+, DTC60s, etc) is a matter of preference. For me, I usually run the same compound on the track regardless of tire compound and then adjust my braking to suite the grip level of the tires. A heavy foot on R-compounds will react differently then the same heavy foot on street tires. You just need to feel it out so that you are on the threshold of ABS / lock-up.

FWIW, I ran DTC-60s last Friday with OEM rear pads. I had no issues with burning up my rear pads... and they really don't show any wear.

The stock Boss pads are supposed to be upgraded from the standard 5.0, does anybody know who/what they use?
Just pulled mine the other day. They are Ferrodo pads. Didn't recognize the number on them, but can make a note of it on Friday when I pull them out for this weekend at HPR. I will say that they did not hold up to what I had at PPIR
Old 8/15/11, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Only one way to find out...

I'd say do the upgraded pads/rotors in front now, see how it goes. My guess is you'll burn through the stock rear pads much quicker, and probably have more understeer on trail braking?? If you're not happy with it, then do the rears.

As suggested above, you might want to go to a more aggressive but still streetable rear pad, like the HP Plus. The stock Boss pads are supposed to be upgraded from the standard 5.0, does anybody know who/what they use?
The Stock Pads are made by TMD Friction for Brembo. TMD is a big European Racing pad company and Make the Pads for NASCAR
www.tmdfriction.com/
Old 8/15/11, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
The Stock Pads are made by TMD Friction for Brembo. TMD is a big European Racing pad company and Make the Pads for NASCAR
www.tmdfriction.com/
99.9% sure my pads said Ferodo on them. The Evo owner with me even looked them over (they run the same caliper).

I'll verify and take a photo on Friday when I swap to track pads (again).
Old 8/15/11, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

Both front and rear are Ferrodo?

Realized today I had a cross threaded lug on the driver's rear. Sheared it off in the lug getting the wheel off, so have to take it in to get a new one placed tomorrow.

Anybody gone to the ARP studs? Know which ones to get? Might do that over the winter, as all the lugs are getting a bit galled and difficult.
Old 8/16/11, 12:20 AM

Realized today I had a cross threaded lug on the driver's rear. Sheared it off in the lug getting the wheel off, so have to take it in to get a new one placed tomorrow.

Anybody gone to the ARP studs? Know which ones to get? Might do that over the winter, as all the lugs are getting a bit galled and difficult.
FRPP sells the correct ARP ones, so does Rehagen, IIRC.

It's easy to replace them. Knock out the sheared off one with a hammer (and punch if necessary), then align the new one, put a bunch of washers on it then a sacrificial lugnut (or just an open-ended lug nut), then tighten it down w/ an air-impact. The tightening action will seat the new lug knurls in the axle and all is well. There is a specific cutout in the hardware back there to allow a lug to get in/out from the backside, look for it.
Old 8/16/11, 12:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

It was suggested to me by a member of Ford Racing that using anything other stock pads and rotors on the rear is a waste of money. The 302R I checked at the Grand Am race at Laguna Seca had stock rear rotors but I do not know what rear pads were being used. The fronts used the Brembo pro kit.
Old 8/16/11, 06:08 AM
GT Member

No that is interesting. The only thing I have read about the 302 rear brakes is that the car needed a little more rear brake. Only time will tell.
Old 8/16/11, 06:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jim woodruff
No that is interesting. The only thing I have read about the 302 rear brakes is that the car needed a little more rear brake. Only time will tell.
I've run stock level pads in the rear on Mustangs and lit them up like a Cuban cigar. A lot of it depends on how hard you drive, how late you brake, etc. For me, the DTC 70/60 combo works GREAT. DTC 60 rears are about $140 and they'll last you 10-20 track days, so the incremental expense is insignificant....especially in comparison to the total cost of tracking the car.
Old 8/16/11, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

I'd be surprised if stock anything would last in a 302R. The sustained temps are just too high.

I'm guessing Ford has a different part number for the rear Boss pads, would be interesting to see the cost, and the longevity of that pad compared to an upgraded HP Plus, HT, or DTC pad. Wonder if it's worth the hassle of the swapping in the rear -- either keeping the stock pad there, and not having to change out for the street and the frequency/cost associated with that shorter-life pad, or the hassle of swapping pads and/or rotors if the car is dual street/track.
Old 8/16/11, 08:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wonder if it's worth the hassle of the swapping in the rear -- either keeping the stock pad there, and not having to change out for the street and the frequency/cost associated with that shorter-life pad, or the hassle of swapping pads and/or rotors if the car is dual street/track.
You raise a good point there. I might try leaving my rear pads and rotors in place for the street and see how it goes. That would save me an hour each way on track prep.
Old 8/16/11, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I only pulled the fronts. As stated earlier... all of my track days used the stock rear pads and I've had no issues.
Old 8/16/11, 09:27 AM

I'd be surprised if stock anything would last in a 302R. The sustained temps are just too high.

I'm guessing Ford has a different part number for the rear Boss pads, would be interesting to see the cost, and the longevity of that pad compared to an upgraded HP Plus, HT, or DTC pad. Wonder if it's worth the hassle of the swapping in the rear -- either keeping the stock pad there, and not having to change out for the street and the frequency/cost associated with that shorter-life pad, or the hassle of swapping pads and/or rotors if the car is dual street/track.
the context of my conversation was tracking a Boss not racing one. The rear rotors on the :02R were stock but I'd be surprised if the pads were.

Where was it written that the rear brakes were weak?
Old 8/16/11, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
That would save me an hour each way on track prep.
That's the truth -- I'd love a slide-in pad design there.

I burned through a fairly fresh RedStuff rear set in one weekend; maybe it doesn't have the longevity of the Boss Ferodo, but if it's a pad swap per track weekend, I'm guessing cost wise it'd be better to have the track-only pad in there (one extra swap per weekend then).

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 8/16/11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 8/16/11, 07:19 PM

You could get away with Yellowstuff in the rear for a dual-purpose pad...but they dust like crazy and are very noisy on the street.
Old 8/16/11, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

How noisy are HP Plus pads to run on the street to keep from switching out the backs at the track (its either that or hps for street and swap at track)? Looking to hopefully just swap front rotors and pads. Also about to swap my fluid, how much was required to flush the system and then fill with dot4?
Old 8/16/11, 08:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
How noisy are HP Plus pads to run on the street to keep from switching out the backs at the track (its either that or hps for street and swap at track)? Looking to hopefully just swap front rotors and pads. Also about to swap my fluid, how much was required to flush the system and then fill with dot4?

I used 2 quarts to swap mine but I do not know the exact amount, at the end I was just flushing out the last caliper since I was not going to keep an open can.

The HP+ on the rear have not made any noise as far as I can tell, it is all in the front. Here are the rears in mine after four track days and some street driving. I do not run nearly as hard as some of the others here.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 8/16/11 at 08:26 PM.
Old 8/16/11, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
It was suggested to me by a member of Ford Racing that using anything other stock pads and rotors on the rear is a waste of money. The 302R I checked at the Grand Am race at Laguna Seca had stock rear rotors but I do not know what rear pads were being used. The fronts used the Brembo pro kit.
Hey guys I was corrected on this. The correct comment was it's a waste of time using larger rear rotors and pads. You'll want to use upgraded rear pads for the track and the 302R does use the stock rear rotors. Sorry for the confusion on this.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrades for the track after reviews