Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Brake upgrades for the track after reviews

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/11, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I used 2 quarts to swap mine but I do not know the exact amount, at the end I was just flushing out the last caliper since I was not going to keep an open can.

The HP+ on the rear have not made any noise as far as I can tell, it is all in the front. Here are the rears in mine after four track days and some street driving. I do not run nearly as hard as some of the others here.

Thanks for the info, trying to get my car ready to go to the track. Nice profile pic at Sebring btw, I hope to get there soon. Is that where you go for most of your track days or do you go to Moroso since thats pretty close to where you live?
Old 8/16/11, 09:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have done PBIR more but have done two track days at Sebring now. I am going pratice some left turns at Homestead this weekend. It's not that I wanted to go but with EMRE it is so cheap and it saves me having to swap the tires around on the rims, so the way I see it I will be making money

I hope that EMRE will be booking more days at Sebring next year, they were looking into it. HOD is a lot more but they do have a two run group day coming up at Sebring and they say you will get 9 sessions.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 8/22/11 at 06:50 PM.
Old 8/17/11, 05:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Hey guys I was corrected on this. The correct comment was it's a waste of time using larger rear rotors and pads. You'll want to use upgraded rear pads for the track and the 302R does use the stock rear rotors. Sorry for the confusion on this.
NP Rick, thanks for clarifying.
Old 8/17/11, 05:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Hey guys I was corrected on this. The correct comment was it's a waste of time using larger rear rotors and pads. You'll want to use upgraded rear pads for the track and the 302R does use the stock rear rotors. Sorry for the confusion on this.
Originally Posted by cloud9
NP Rick, thanks for clarifying.
Yes Rick, thanks for the clarification. Now my DBA 4000 rear rotors don't seem as bad for my upgrade costs.

I too am running the Hawk HP+ rear pads. These were recommended by the Hawk technical rep and although limited track use (so far, more to come) they do not make any objectionable noise and dusting is what I consider "average" not excessive. I am running the DTC 30's on the front and sometimes they make a little noise, sometimes not. Dusting is average on these pads as well. This combination I find offers completely acceptable street driven braking perfomance. Thus I save track setup time by not having to swap rotors and pads.
Old 8/19/11, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JScheier
99.9% sure my pads said Ferodo on them. The Evo owner with me even looked them over (they run the same caliper).

I'll verify and take a photo on Friday when I swap to track pads (again).
Swapped pads today and verified the stock pads. Backing plates have "FERODO 4446" stamped on them.

This was on the OEM Brembo fronts on my 2012 Boss 302.

Last edited by JScheier; 8/19/11 at 09:02 AM.
Old 8/19/11, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JScheier
Swapped pads today and verified the stock pads. Backing plates have "FERODO 4446" stamped on them.

This was on the OEM Brembo fronts on my 2012 Boss 302.
I'm thinking that's the pad size for the standard Brembo caliper, doesn't designate the compound type.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...upgrade-2.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...brake-pad.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...placement.html
Old 8/22/11, 06:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Centric (Powerslot) has just came out with the new Brembo front rotors 120.61089 is the number. They are non-sloted. So far Tire Rack and Autoanything are the only ones listing them.

I burnt out the front HP+ this weekend, did not have a full day out there but they were on the fifth track day.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 8/22/11 at 06:54 PM.
Old 8/22/11, 07:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Centric (Powerslot) has just came out with the new Brembo front rotors 120.61089 is the number. They are non-sloted. So far Tire Rack and Autoanything are the only ones listing them.

I burnt out the front HP+ this weekend, did not have a full day out there but they were on the fifth track day.
LateModelRestoration carries the Centric blanks for $90 each. Just got a set in from them for track use.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...nt-Brake-Rotor

Edit: Tire Rack's price is lower at $81 each...might order from them next time.

Last edited by 06GT; 8/22/11 at 07:07 PM.
Old 8/22/11, 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
LateModelRestoration carries the Centric blanks for $90 each. Just got a set in from them for track use.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...nt-Brake-Rotor

Edit: Tire Rack's price is lower at $81 each...might order from them next time.
Could not find that, did you pay the $15 flat rate shipping? If so that is good, Tirerack's shipping is outrageous ($30) for these. Autoanything's price is $113 with free shipping.
Old 8/23/11, 07:54 AM
Cobra Member

I wonder if those blanks would work with the StopTech caliper...
Old 8/23/11, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Josh... were you at HPR this weekend? I thought I saw your car (was with Ed).
Old 8/23/11, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

I was, kept trying to get over to talk to you, but never got around to it. My wife was there driving for the first time (did great!) so was rather pre-occupied.

Way too hot, though! They really need some fresh water supplies there.
Old 8/23/11, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I hope your wife had a good time! She was in an Audi, right? I may have talked to her in grid.

It was amazingly hot out there this weekend... still drained
Old 8/23/11, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

And now they tell us shorts are okay in HPDE! Not sure I'll go that route, though -- prefer skin on my legs as opposed to not getting the sweat on.

Zung was saying he'd like to see all the TT guys in race suits, HANS, etc -- same as racers. That's pricey!
Old 8/24/11, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
And now they tell us shorts are okay in HPDE! Not sure I'll go that route, though -- prefer skin on my legs as opposed to not getting the sweat on.
With BMWCCA, the instructors are allowed to wear shorts. I usually put long pants back on when I go drive. Takes more time, but makes it slightly more comfortable when you are in 3 cars a day x 4 sessions.

Zung was saying he'd like to see all the TT guys in race suits, HANS, etc -- same as racers. That's pricey!
One of the reasons I didn't vote for him. That kind of talk will get you extricated from the group
Old 9/1/11, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Was just thinking of something I didn't see discussed much:

Which of these pads produce brake dust that doesn't like water? I know some, when wet, basically turn to acid and eat the finish on the wheels and anything else they hit.

It's been an unfortunate habit this summer of driving home in the rain after a track event, and I don't always get the dust off the wheels the next day.
Old 9/2/11, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Which of these pads produce brake dust that doesn't like water? I know some, when wet, basically turn to acid and eat the finish on the wheels and anything else they hit.
Last event at HPR I drove home in the rain with DTC60s on the front. No issues cleaning it off a week later (sorry... work got in the way).

I know the old Hawk Blues ate the finish on my Cobra R wheels after getting damp in the morning (Texas, humidity, dew in the morning). Took me forever to get the metal out of the wheel finish (clay bar, compound, etc). Haven't run those since.
Old 9/2/11, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Good to know, I'm going to the DTC60s next year, and don't imagine I'll be more diligent in cleaning the wheels off.

You're going to MPH, but which weekend? I'm all signed up for the NASA CR event.
Old 9/2/11, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

You're going to MPH, but which weekend? I'm all signed up for the NASA CR event.
September 24-25 for the 'Mustang Roundup'. Not sure I can make the turnaround for the NASA CR event... but I've been talked into this stuff before
Old 9/2/11, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

I imagine it all depends if you get the chance to do any wood carving while there -- awful good motivator to get back ASAP!

Quick Reply: Brake upgrades for the track after reviews