Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/15 | 10:35 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by 3point7
Heck yea I remember that, it was Al's TV debut lmao

My 1st HEMI ad - YouTube
Yep ! That's definitely the TV ad... " sweeet "

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/23/15 at 10:39 PM.
Old 1/25/15 | 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

I have enjoyed the comments about Ford considering dropping the V8 engine. I think some were just speculating Ford was getting ready to discontinue production of the V8 because they do not offer it in a number of their vehicles.
I am a die hard V8 person who buys a car because it has a V8. However, I would consider buying a car with a V10. If Ford had offered a V10 in a Mustang or a two door Crown Victoria, I would have considered buying either one. I will always be a fan of BOF cars and SRA cars. Now that BOF cars are no longer made, I be moving on to buy 2 door coupes with V8 engines and IRS. I now like the Hellcat and GT350R Mustang.
I just do not see Ford selling Mustangs without V8 engines. Ford would most likely just sell half the number of Mustangs if no V8 was offered in the Mustang. The Mustang would then die off.
Old 1/26/15 | 12:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I have enjoyed the comments about Ford considering dropping the V8 engine. I think some were just speculating Ford was getting ready to discontinue production of the V8 because they do not offer it in a number of their vehicles.
I am a die hard V8 person who buys a car because it has a V8. However, I would consider buying a car with a V10. If Ford had offered a V10 in a Mustang or a two door Crown Victoria, I would have considered buying either one. I will always be a fan of BOF cars and SRA cars. Now that BOF cars are no longer made, I be moving on to buy 2 door coupes with V8 engines and IRS. I now like the Hellcat and GT350R Mustang.
I just do not see Ford selling Mustangs without V8 engines. Ford would most likely just sell half the number of Mustangs if no V8 was offered in the Mustang. The Mustang would then die off.
Yes,thats one point some people dont seam to understand, is that Ford is playing this kind of smart, as no other car in their line up even the F-150 dont need the V8 anymore, with modern engines they can replace it without people completely going crazy (few will cry). With most of their line up going with new modern V4-V6 turbo engines, not only Ford is raising their whole MPG fleet numbers, but at the same lets them offset a small number of V8 motors for a decent amount of time if necessary into the future. That way Ford can keep, or even still upgrade and keep V8 in a car that really needs it which is the Mustang at this point, even if they become much more lower in MPG compared to their future fleet offerings, those cars will be able to offset that low V8 MPG number.
Old 1/26/15 | 01:20 PM
TMS Staff

Ford Denies Report

looks like reports of the death of thhe V8 have been greatly exaggerated...
https://themustangsource.com/2017-la...tang-v8-12683/
Old 1/26/15 | 01:25 PM
Banned

V4? Is that like a V-Tec?

Totally joking, i know you mean I4.
Old 1/26/15 | 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say bring back the 300 inline 6. Modernize it by making it aluminum with a good deep breathing 4V head, 4 cam setup. Put direct injection and maybe a turbocharger on it and watch it go. You wan't torque, that motor generates plenty of it.
Old 1/26/15 | 02:35 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 3point7
I say bring back the 300 inline 6. Modernize it by making it aluminum with a good deep breathing 4V head, 4 cam setup. Put direct injection and maybe a turbocharger on it and watch it go. You wan't torque, that motor generates plenty of it.
That would be quite a change from pushrod (1 cam) to OHC. But inline DOHC would be 2 cam. Which wouldn't have the torque of the old 300/4.9L.
Old 1/26/15 | 02:41 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That would be quite a change from pushrod (1 cam) to OHC. But inline DOHC would be 2 cam. Which wouldn't have the torque of the old 300/4.9L.
GM runs an inline 6 and 5cyl that is not a terrible setup. Lots of torque and decent mileage for what it is. Midsize SUVs and trucks. Been using them for over 10 years now.
Old 1/26/15 | 02:59 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
GM runs an inline 6 and 5cyl that is not a terrible setup. Lots of torque and decent mileage for what it is. Midsize SUVs and trucks. Been using them for over 10 years now.
I like I-6's. Had 4 over the years. But for whatever reason they've never been great on gas mileage.
Old 1/26/15 | 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JonathonK
looks like reports of the death of thhe V8 have been greatly exaggerated...
https://themustangsource.com/2017-la...tang-v8-12683/
Although this appears to be good news ! However when the Ford rep was asked about the V8's future plans ? He never the less did avoid addressing the question.. Therefore IMO, his response came across as being more of a denial than anything else
Old 1/26/15 | 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Couldn't they run variable length intake runners to compensate for the torque?
Old 1/26/15 | 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

Some buyers just look for vehicles with V8 engines. I remember when a number of my friends who were GM fans bought pickups with V8 engines and SRA after General Motors switched to producing cars with front wheel drive and no V8 engine options. Once GM went back to producing cars with V8 engines like the Camaro, they went back to buying cars.
Old 1/26/15 | 05:46 PM
GT Member

Gotta love how a good rumor can morph into this kind of thread.
Old 1/26/15 | 07:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by MuddyLX
Twice.
Old 1/26/15 | 09:48 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
Twice.
Old 1/26/15 | 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by MuddyLX
One thing we know for certain, all those rumors sure got Ford's attention rather quickly.. So perhaps threads such as this one will make a difference as I'm pretty sure that Ford visits these forums.. Hopefully If Ford reads this thread along with similar others ? It just might be enough to convince them to keep our V8's alive well beyond 2017

At any rate, long live the Ford small block V8

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/27/15 at 01:57 AM.
Old 1/27/15 | 07:13 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

I like I-6's. Had 4 over the years. But for whatever reason they've never been great on gas mileage.
I have the 300 6 in my 1991 F150. I call it a 'tractor' motor
Old 1/27/15 | 07:29 AM
V6 Member

In retrospect, it very well may be that Ford threw a tater over the plate just to see what would shake out. That being said: I absolutely believe the V8 configuration as you know it today, will be gone before 2025. The only type of vehicle and or manufacturer that will build it, will be small, one-off operations like Lambo, etc. It will only be a consideration for vehicles that price is absolutely no factor- because somebody is gonna pay the gas-guzzler tax, and it's gonna be an impressive amount!
Old 1/27/15 | 11:17 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

I don’t believe that the V8 is going away anytime soon. (It does make for good talking points, though!) Having said that; I do believe ElFiero expressed a valid point of view. (And 2025 is a good estimate.) A V8 engine option will (has already) become a more expensive, upscale offering, in contrast to a less expensive alternative, (V6 or I4 with forced induction).

V8’s already are in the minority in the world market. Improved, more efficient smaller-displacement ICE’s and alternate power systems--hybrids with electric motors, will claim an even bigger share of the market in the near future. Eventually, new technology will eliminate the performance advantage traditionally enjoyed by the V8. (There are cars right now generating tremendous power from boosted 6’s and 4’s. AMS (Chicago-based tuner) can turn up the boost to give owners a 1000-HP 3.8L V6 for their GT-R. They (AMS) claim 0-150 in 10.1 seconds—which is just plain bat-sh*t crazy. )

Smaller displacement engines such as an I4, I6, or V6 with forced induction and fewer cylinders can provide the same performance as a V8—(with better weight distribution and lighter weight) and more importantly (to Ford, BMW, Mercedes, et al) at a lower manufacturing cost than a V8. The smaller package gives engineers the ability to be creative within the space constraints of the engine compartment (transverse mount, longitudinal mount, providing the mandated crumple-zone, etc.).

Downsizing a V8 might sound like a good idea, but it probably has little appeal to manufacturers. V8’s have traditionally taken advantage of cubic inch displacement—in particular with normally aspirated applications. A V8 has a better balance than in-line 4’s, which typically suffer from vibrations, arguing against large displacement. V8’s lose most of the advantages when down-sized. It does avoid the secondary balance issues which generally limits the size of I4 motors, but loses the power advantage derived from its superior displacement.

However, a V8 down-sized, even with or without forced induction, presents the unavoidable situation where the motor will have twice the moving parts as an I4. (And two exhaust manifolds as opposed to one.) Thus the manufacturing costs are higher (even if the displacement is similar), making it more expensive, to build (and package in the product). There is also the additional parasitic loss, as the V8 has more rotational inertia and friction to overcome than an I4 (or I6, or V6 for that matter).

It is difficult to get the same efficiency out of a V8 as a 4 or 6. The Mercedes 2.0T in the AMGCLA45 puts out 177hp/L--to get the same efficiency from a 5.0L, the coyote would have to be tweaked to produce 885-hp. The Ariel Atom 3S is powered by a 2.4L Honda-sourced motor that produces 365-hp, a more modest 152.08hp/L—still that means that a correspondently efficient 5.0L V8 would still have to generate over 760hp. To match the efficiency of the current 3.8L V6 in the GT-R Nismo, the 5.0L would have to produce over 782hp. The new 2.0T from Volvo—(Ford maybe should have kept some of their engineers) destined for the XC90 is producing 450-hp. That’s 225hp/L; to be as efficient the Volvo I4, the current 5.0L would have to produce 1125hp. (Can you pictured the look on your insurance agent’s face as he calculates your premiums?)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...of-the-future/

It isn’t just Ford following the down-sizing and turbo trend. Major players are taking the plunge. The V8 will still be around—whether Joe the Plumber can afford one or not is questionable.

Last edited by bt4; 1/27/15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 1/27/15 | 11:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bt4
I don’t believe that the V8 is going away anytime soon. (It does make for good talking points, though!) Having said that; I do believe ElFiero expressed a valid point of view. (And 2025 is a good estimate.) A V8 engine option will (has already) become a more expensive, upscale offering, in contrast to a less expensive alternative, (V6 or I4 with forced induction). V8’s already are in the minority in the world market. Improved, more efficient smaller-displacement ICE’s and alternate power systems--hybrids with electric motors, will claim an even bigger share of the market in the near future. Eventually, new technology will eliminate the performance advantage traditionally enjoyed by the V8. (There are cars right now generating tremendous power from boosted 6’s and 4’s. AMS (Chicago-based tuner) can turn up the boost to give owners a 1000-HP 3.8L V6 for their GT-R. They (AMS) claim 0-150 in 10.1 seconds—which is just plain bat-sh*t crazy. ) Smaller displacement engines such as an I4, I6, or V6 with forced induction and fewer cylinders can provide the same performance as a V8—(with better weight distribution and lighter weight) and more importantly (to Ford, BMW, Mercedes, et al) at a lower manufacturing cost than a V8. The smaller package gives engineers the ability to be creative within the space constraints of the engine compartment (transverse mount, longitudinal mount, providing the mandated crumple-zone, etc.). Downsizing a V8 might sound like a good idea, but it probably has little appeal to manufacturers. V8’s have traditionally taken advantage of cubic inch displacement—in particular with normally aspirated applications. A V8 has a better balance than in-line 4’s, which typically suffer from vibrations, arguing against large displacement. V8’s lose most of the advantages when down-sized. It does avoid the secondary balance issues which generally limits the size of I4 motors, but loses the power advantage derived from its superior displacement. However, a V8 down-sized, even with or without forced induction, presents the unavoidable situation where the motor will have twice the moving parts as an I4. (And two exhaust manifolds as opposed to one.) Thus the manufacturing costs are higher (even if the displacement is similar), making it more expensive, to build (and package in the product). There is also the additional parasitic loss, as the V8 has more rotational inertia and friction to overcome than an I4 (or I6, or V6 for that matter). It is difficult to get the same efficiency out of a V8 as a 4 or 6. The Mercedes 2.0T in the AMGCLA45 puts out 177hp/L--to get the same efficiency from a 5.0L, the coyote would have to be tweaked to produce 885-hp. The Ariel Atom 3S is powered by a 2.4L Honda-sourced motor that produces 365-hp, a more modest 152.08hp/L—still that means that a correspondently efficient 5.0L V8 would still have to generate over 760hp. To match the efficiency of the current 3.8L V6 in the GT-R Nismo, the 5.0L would have to produce over 782hp. The new 2.0T from Volvo—(Ford maybe should have kept some of their engineers) destined for the XC90 is producing 450-hp. That’s 225hp/L; to be as efficient the Volvo I4, the current 5.0L would have to produce 1125hp. (Can you pictured the look on your insurance agent’s face as he calculates your premiums?) http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...of-the-future/ It isn’t just Ford following the down-sizing and turbo trend. Major players are taking the plunge. The V8 will still be around—whether Joe the Plumber can afford one or not is questionable.
I hear ya, on all accounts. That all makes sense.

That said, I don't care lol. I want V8 noise. They can serve that to me in the form of a 4.0TT V8 if they want. I'll be fine with that. Think about it, less than 5 years ago Mercedes was still using their big 6.2 in their AMG cars and 5.0-5.5 in their mid range cars. Now they're using 4.0TTs, as are BMW and Audi. The "middle class" (LOL) manufactures will eventually follow suit. That should last us well into my 50-60s, at which point I'll be more interested in having a classic 68 for Sunday cruises, versus a 4-500rwhp daily driven monster.

Quick Reply: Ford to discontinue V8