2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/15, 02:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Source: Ford to discontinue V8 motors in Mustang, F-150 after 2017, will run 4-Cylinder and V6 EcoBoost exclusively

http://horsepowerkings.com/sources-f...50-after-2017/

Can you imagine a Mustang GT with no V8? Can you imagine Ford announcing a 2018 Mustang GT, ‘powered by Ecoboost V6?’ We can’t either, and frankly, it makes us sick to even think about. That is why the following information is disturbing on some many levels.

So, we spent the better part of the day on the ground floor at the COBO Center attending the NAIAS. We are back here at the MGM Grand in Detroit, and what we took away from today was all the buzz surrounding the freshly-debuted Ford GT and 2017 F-150 Raptor, and unsurprisingly, much of that buzz is in regards to the lack of a V8 in these two high profile Ford vehicles.

The lack of a V8 is concerning, especially when discussing such a high profile halo car as the new Ford GT. After all, the entire history of this car revolves around it’s V8 powerplant. Some would argue that it’s the heart and soul of the Ford GT/GT40 legacy, and we would agree.

Regardless, when Ford finally debuted the next-gen Ford GT, powered by a 3.5L Ecoboost V6, our hearts started palpitating. You see, it’s not just the fact that this Ford supercar is powered by a V6 – what is most alarming is that Ford is showing us a very clear picture of the future of their Performance Division.

Troubled by these horrible thoughts, we were able to have a quick chat with one of the many Ford reps here at the show. You see, if you attend enough Auto Shows, you start to build professional and personal relationships with the same manufacturer representatives over the years. And while our source certainly isn’t the end-all of Ford’s future plans, the information he provided us apparently echoes the larger opinion and direction of the executives at Ford. Our source has also been pretty reliable over the years, specifically in regards to Mustangs. If you aren’t sitting down right now, please take a seat – this news might be hard to take:

“Ford is definitely phasing out the V8 motor altogether”, he said – word for word. “CAFE and EPA are working very hard discreetly to to make sure of that. There is quite a bit going on at Ford that the public is in the dark about. The impression that I am getting is that Ford wants to continue it’s V8 program, but things have (rather recently) taken a new direction, presumably from CAFE/EPA pressure in mid to late 2013. Ford have invested quite a bit of money into the Coyote program over the years, and even had plans of going DI (Direct Injection). The future development budget for the 5.2L FPC motor has dwindled, and there is talk that this motor may continue it’s life exclusively in the form of sanctioned racing series, not on the street. The next big thing for Ford at this point is weight savings. They are trying to lighten these Mustangs to get high performance numbers out of the Ecoboost, and whether we like it or not, that is the (near) future. It’s not Ford’s fault, and you can thank the Gov’t for this – not the consumer”.

Our source later went on to explain that “The rebranding/reshuffling of the Ford Performance Division is all a result of this added EPA pressure. Ford wasn’t going to fund a performance program unless it’s primary focus was on the smaller Ecoboost motors, so SVT and Ford Racing were dissolved into this new Performance Division. And unfortunately, it would be foolish to expect to see any new V8 cars coming out of this new Performance Division. Ford Performance is going to be cranking out some very fast cars for some time, but even if the new Shelby GT500 gets the green light, it will likely be the last gasoline Ford V8 will ever produce.”

As anti-progressive as we might sound – we just can’t get on board with the thought of the V8 going extinct. This feels like the nightmare we were always afraid of having, and we can’t wake up. Share your thoughts below.

Last edited by wheelman; 1/13/15 at 02:49 PM.
Old 1/13/15, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Disgusting!!!

Why can't the just give us a ****ing 3.5 TT V8???
Old 1/13/15, 03:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect part of the reason the current GT is $6k more than the EcoBoost is due to trying to keep CAFE down. If it were only $3k more, a lot of people would take the GT and mess up the numbers for Ford.

I get the goal, cut fuel consumption, reduce emissions, etc. going to smaller and lighter cars is one way to do that. Taxes is one way the government has to change people's behavior without "banning" something. Just make it expensive and people will drift away over time.

That being said, I am a fan of the sound and feel of a V8. Yes, I know that a V6 or even an I4 can make all the power I need, but they don't sound the same or feel the same.

Even with a similar displacement, a V8 revs differently and just feels differently driving.

My last V6 was a 2011 Ford Explorer, abit really my wife's car (I have been driving V8 GM SUVs for 15 years now). We sold it 6 months ago and have been searching for a "fun" replacement. We drive the Explorer Sport with the twin turbo V6, it has PLENTY of power, but doesn't sound right.

If the Explorer Sport could be had with the 5.0 V8 of the Mustang, I think I'd buy one tomorrow. 435hp and AWD, plus utility? Sign me up!!!
Old 1/13/15, 03:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FlyTexas
I suspect part of the reason the current GT is $6k more than the EcoBoost is due to trying to keep CAFE down. If it were only $3k more, a lot of people would take the GT and mess up the numbers for Ford. I get the goal, cut fuel consumption, reduce emissions, etc. going to smaller and lighter cars is one way to do that. Taxes is one way the government has to change people's behavior without "banning" something. Just make it expensive and people will drift away over time. That being said, I am a fan of the sound and feel of a V8. Yes, I know that a V6 or even an I4 can make all the power I need, but they don't sound the same or feel the same. Even with a similar displacement, a V8 revs differently and just feels differently driving. My last V6 was a 2011 Ford Explorer, abit really my wife's car (I have been driving V8 GM SUVs for 15 years now). We sold it 6 months ago and have been searching for a "fun" replacement. We drive the Explorer Sport with the twin turbo V6, it has PLENTY of power, but doesn't sound right. If the Explorer Sport could be had with the 5.0 V8 of the Mustang, I think I'd buy one tomorrow. 435hp and AWD, plus utility? Sign me up!!!
100% agree. That's what I'm saying. Take the 3.5 TT V6 and add 25% displacement. That would give us a 4.4 V8. Perfect. Now add your stupid turbos. 450hp, smaller, lighter V8 that you can tune for your stupid CAFE requirements, and make it an FR tune away from 500hp and 600ft/lbs. DUHHH???
Old 1/13/15, 03:21 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
I won't believe it until Ford officially confirms it
Old 1/13/15, 03:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I won't believe it until Ford officially confirms it
I'd usually say the writing is on the wall, but in this case...with the FGT and Raptor being unveiled with the 3.5TT V6, I can say it's pretty clear what direction we're heading. If Ford can throw away the legacy that a V8 powered mid engine supercar and a full size pickup holds, they're not going to hold onto it for the Mustang.
Old 1/13/15, 03:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'd usually say the writing is on the wall, but in this case...with the FGT and Raptor being unveiled with the 3.5TT V6, I can say it's pretty clear what direction we're heading. If Ford can throw away the legacy that a V8 powered mid engine supercar and a full size pickup holds, they're not going to hold onto it for the Mustang.
This... The fact that those two are getting EcoBoost is all the confirm that I need...

I wonder how long the 6.2L V8 at GM has. I've owned three trucks with it and it is a beautiful motor, power or torque for days, but that isn't why I love it so, it sounds "right", it "feels" right, it has the right power at the right RPM.

My old V8 Explorer only made 205hp, but it was fun to drive. The new ones make 290hp out of the V6, but just aren't as much fun. Of course the older ones were smaller and weighed less, and were AWD vs. FWD, which helps.

Just imagine if the next Mustang were FWD only? There has been talk the next Camaro could have been FWD, some people within GM were pushing for it.
Old 1/13/15, 03:30 PM

Wonder if and when GM and Mopar will follow suit ?
Old 1/13/15, 03:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This... The fact that those two are getting EcoBoost is all the confirm that I need... I wonder how long the 6.2L V8 at GM has. I've owned three trucks with it and it is a beautiful motor, power or torque for days, but that isn't why I love it so, it sounds "right", it "feels" right, it has the right power at the right RPM. My old V8 Explorer only made 205hp, but it was fun to drive. The new ones make 290hp out of the V6, but just aren't as much fun. Of course the older ones were smaller and weighed less, and were AWD vs. FWD, which helps. Just imagine if the next Mustang were FWD only? There has been talk the next Camaro could have been FWD, some people within GM were pushing for it.
Fricken retarded product planners. I don't care what kind of lofty unattainable fuel mileage requirements there are. You just don't mess with heritage!! So make the Mustang FR-S size and put a 2.5L V8 in it! Make the F-150 Ranger size and put the same engine in it! Make Americans eat more fruits and vegetables so they can stop being fatasses that don't need huge vehicles!
Old 1/13/15, 03:35 PM

This... The fact that those two are getting EcoBoost is all the confirm that I need...
The question is.. Is this really fact or just speculation at the point ? Has anyone from Ford corporate actually confirmed this
Old 1/13/15, 03:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The question is.. Is this really fact or just speculation at the point ? Has anyone from Ford corporate actually confirmed this
They're not going to confirm that, though I'm sure we'll hear something soon. If they did, they'd sell a metric sh*t ton of 2015-2017 GTs and GT350s.

I had no plans of keeping my 2014 forever, but now...
Old 1/13/15, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Fricken retarded product planners. I don't care what kind of lofty unattainable fuel mileage requirements there are. You just don't mess with heritage!! So make the Mustang FR-S size and put a 2.5L V8 in it! Make the F-150 Ranger size and put the same engine in it! Make Americans eat more fruits and vegetables so they can stop being fatasses that don't need huge vehicles!
Don't blame Ford, if the EPA threatened Ford with a $2,000 fine per car if they didn't make the change, then Ford has little choice.

I don't know if that happened, all I'm saying is that these decisions are not made in a vacuum.

Perhaps we need to be more active telling our government what we do and do not want.
Old 1/13/15, 03:44 PM

What worries me is the parts availability going forward for V8 owners. I was pretty stoked about this 2015 Mustang being an international car and what that meant for getting parts down the road...

-CorwinSF
Old 1/13/15, 03:45 PM

They're not going to confirm that, though I'm sure we'll hear something soon. If they did, they'd sell a metric sh*t ton of 2015-2017 GTs and GT350s.

I had no plans of keeping my 2014 forever, but now...
I'm on board with you 100% Patrick.. Trust me, if this B.S becomes reality in just 2 years from now ? I'll most definitely do whatever it takes to keep my current 06 GT running indefinitely
Old 1/13/15, 03:45 PM
GT Member

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...ptor/21623349/

The new Raptor and Ford GT are confirmed by Ford corporate to be V6 EcoBoost engines. They both have pages on Ford.com showing them off.
Old 1/13/15, 03:47 PM
GT Member

I'm on board with you 100% Patrick.. Trust me, if this B.S becomes reality in just 2 years from now ? I'll most definitely do whatever it takes to keep my current 06 GT running indefinitely
If that is the case, wouldn't it then make sense to get a 2015 for the long term? I mean, if you really love the 06, then more power to you, just an idea...
Old 1/13/15, 03:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just told my fiancée that I needed a new daily driver. My car just became a collector and I need to keep the miles off LOL. She doesn't know I'm serious.
Old 1/13/15, 03:51 PM

Don't blame Ford, if the EPA threatened Ford with a $2,000 fine per car if they didn't make the change, then Ford has little choice.

I don't know if that happened, all I'm saying is that these decisions are not made in a vacuum.

Perhaps we need to be more active telling our government what we do and do not want.
Like that's really going to accomplish anything.. The govt doesn't give a rats a$$ about the car enthusiast community and never has.. As we're just in a small minority
Old 1/13/15, 03:53 PM

I just told my fiancée that I needed a new daily driver. My car just became a collector and I need to keep the miles off LOL. She doesn't know I'm serious.
Well she's gonna be finding out sooner than she thinks
Old 1/13/15, 03:53 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Ford has been competing with fewer cubic inches for decades now. They've trailed the size war but have for the most part stayed competitive. Now they've pulled ahead even with smaller motors so this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Does this make me happy ummm heck no!!! :saddaysindeed:

Quick Reply: Ford to discontinue V8