2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford to discontinue V8

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/15, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I just sold my 03 last year. Don't really miss it much. Just way too much car to enjoy so she just sat in the garage most of the time. I would love a 93 Cobra in red. I still see them from time to time for around $10-12k.
I would say at that price range go ahead and pick one up as an investment if you can afford it. Prices are likely to start climbing on them. We all saw how much money late model Mustangs were bringing at Barrett Jackson. A 93 Cobra is most definitely a collector car.
Old 1/28/15, 03:48 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Interesting you should bring up the 93 Cobra. I ran across a story several months ago about a man who had a 93 Cobra. It was originally painted that teal blue that Ford was using around that time and he hated the color so he had the car repainted in another color; red I believe. Anyway, the teal color was very rare on the 93 Cobra making it pretty valuable. He lost big money by changing the color from stock. You just never know.
Well he definitely made a very huge mistake in changing the color because between Ebony Black, Torch Red and Teal Green.. The Cobras in Teal Green were by far the ones which had the fewest production numbers with the exception of the 93 Cobra R models in which only a total of 107 units were ever produced by Ford..

Therefore I can definitely understand why the man in question lost big money by changing the color and to be honest with you.. Out of the 3 color choices, I actually liked Teal Green the most
Old 1/28/15, 03:53 PM

I would say at that price range go ahead and pick one up as an investment if you can afford it. Prices are likely to start climbing on them. We all saw how much money late model Mustangs were bringing at Barrett Jackson. A 93 Cobra is most definitely a collector car.
Now you tell me Rob You should had brought this to my attention over 10 years ago
Old 1/28/15, 03:58 PM

I just sold my 03 last year. Don't really miss it much. Just way too much car to enjoy so she just sat in the garage most of the time. I would love a 93 Cobra in red. I still see them from time to time for around $10-12k.
Although mine was Ebony Black ! I still never the less should had kept it Al
Old 1/28/15, 04:08 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Although mine was Ebony Black ! I still never the less should had kept it Al
They are not rare yet. Can always pick up another one. A newer shelby is just a better car though. I prefer the look of the 03-04 but the Shelby is better. I got a real soft spot for the fox bodies too. I owned my terminator for about 4 years. I'm over it. Lol
Old 1/28/15, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
Poor guy, I bet he thought about trying to strip the red off to get the blue back (if the blue wasnt totally removed first) LOL
I don't feel in the least bit sorry for that guy, what he did IMO was not only committing sacrilege but was also down right stupid.. If the guy hated the color that bad ? Then he shouldn't had bought it in the first place..

As far as I'm concerned, the bone head in question completely destroyed the value of such a rare and collectible Mustang
Old 1/28/15, 04:32 PM

They are not rare yet. Can always pick up another one. A newer shelby is just a better car though. I prefer the look of the 03-04 but the Shelby is better. I got a real soft spot for the fox bodies too. I owned my terminator for about 4 years. I'm over it. Lol
I know exactly what you mean Al.. As I owned 3 Fox bodies including the Cobra prior to trading that car in for my first S-197 back in November of 2004..

Although I prefer the looks of the 2005-14 models along with being much better technology wise, I never ran into any major problems with the Fox bodies.. As they were always reliable, easy to work on, easy to modify and were light as hell..

So guess I'll always have a soft spot for them and perhaps down the road I just may end up owning one once again
Old 1/28/15, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've always liked the Fox body Mustangs as well. It was the car that was the big deal when I was just a kid in high school. Every guy wanted either a Mustang GT or a Camaro Z28. I still distinctly remember seeing the attached advertisement in various car magazines.

Old 1/28/15, 05:49 PM

I've always liked the Fox body Mustangs as well. It was the car that was the big deal when I was just a kid in high school. Every guy wanted either a Mustang GT or a Camaro Z28. I still distinctly remember seeing the attached advertisement in various car magazines.

In addition ! The Fox body Mustangs were also the longest lived generation in Mustang history with a 14 year production run
Old 1/28/15, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
In addition ! The Fox body Mustangs were also the longest lived generation in Mustang history with a 14 year production run
That's true and the reason for that is because of this abomination.

This is the car that was to be the next Mustang after the 1993 model year. Front wheel drive, no V8 (yes Al, even in 1994 they were trying to kill the V8 lol). Mustang fans pitched an unholy fit and Ford knew they would be making a huge mistake by making the Probe the next Mustang. So they had to scramble and come up with a car that could keep the Mustang moniker. As a result the SN95 was born, which was essentially a modified fox body chassis. In truth the Fox Body chassis was really just a Ford Fairmont. The Ford engineers referred to the SN95 prototype as "the Arnold Schwarzenegger". Yes that's a true fact.
Old 1/28/15, 06:51 PM

Too bad I have my heart set on a different vehicle, I'm really wanting another Fox.
Old 1/28/15, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ford engineers referred to the SN95 prototype as "the Arnold Schwarzenegger". Yes that's a true fact.
There were 3 prototypes - the Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Rambo and the Bruce Jenner. The Arnold version won out. The SN95 would have morphed into a drag queen by now if they went with the Jenner version.

Last edited by 88lx50; 1/28/15 at 07:08 PM.
Old 1/28/15, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 88lx50
There were 3 prototypes - the Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Rambo and the Bruce Jenner. The Arnold version won out. The SN95 would have morphed into a drag queen by now if they went with the Jenner version.
I knew about the Rambo but I couldn't remember the third one being the Bruce Jenner.

By the way of all the fox body Mustangs the LX 5.0 is my favorite. A well sorted out 5.0 LX with some nice wheels is just a great looking Mustang.
Old 1/28/15, 09:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I knew about the Rambo but I couldn't remember the third one being the Bruce Jenner. By the way of all the fox body Mustangs the LX 5.0 is my favorite. A well sorted out 5.0 LX with some nice wheels is just a great looking Mustang.
That was my first Mustang love. My dad special ordered this car and sold it after 6 months because my mom was afraid to drive it. Just makes me because I remember him saying he'd keep that car forever and pass it down to me one day...
Attached Thumbnails Ford to discontinue V8-image-4112797518.jpg  
Old 1/28/15, 09:11 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
That was my first Mustang love. My dad special ordered this car and sold it after 6 months because my mom was afraid to drive it. Just makes me because I remember him saying he'd keep that car forever and pass it down to me one day...

When I was 17 that exact car in that exact color was all I wanted in life. Other than some p***y.
Old 1/28/15, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with 2K. That's a great looking LX. I would love to find one of those on the cheap and restore it. I would even keep the original Mustang wheels.
Old 1/28/15, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
When I was 17 that exact car in that exact color was all I wanted in life. Other than some p***y.
My notch was the same color and same wheels. The only mustang I've owned that I miss.
Old 1/28/15, 10:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I agree with 2K. That's a great looking LX. I would love to find one of those on the cheap and restore it. I would even keep the original Mustang wheels.
My notch was the same color and same wheels. The only mustang I've owned that I miss.
All agreed. I think I still harbored some resentment towards my dad for selling it up until the day I bought my 2014 lol. Not only that, my dad went with me to buy the 2014 and they had a SGM car optioned exactly how I ordered mine, and part of me really wanted to get it instead of my silver, but I had my whole P-51 theme planned, so I went with what I ordered.
Old 1/28/15, 11:39 PM

That's true and the reason for that is because of this abomination.

This is the car that was to be the next Mustang after the 1993 model year. Front wheel drive, no V8 (yes Al, even in 1994 they were trying to kill the V8 lol). Mustang fans pitched an unholy fit and Ford knew they would be making a huge mistake by making the Probe the next Mustang. So they had to scramble and come up with a car that could keep the Mustang moniker. As a result the SN95 was born, which was essentially a modified fox body chassis. In truth the Fox Body chassis was really just a Ford Fairmont. The Ford engineers referred to the SN95 prototype as "the Arnold Schwarzenegger". Yes that's a true fact.
Thank god our fellow Mustangers pitched that unholy fit, otherwise that abomination aka as the Probe would had ended up replacing the Mustang..

I don't even know what in the hell Ford was even thinking lol. Perhaps they were smoking crack or whatever it was called back then

At any rate, thanks to the Mustang faithful, Ford finally came back to their senses and came up with the SN-95 as the successor to the Fox body Mustang in which the Fairmont, Zephyr, Grenada, Cougar, Thunderbird, Capri and Lincoln Mark VIII were all part of the Fox platform family..

And yes, the Ford engineers did indeed refer to the SN-95 prototype as the Arnold Schwarzenegger and chose it over the Bruce Jenner and Rambo prototypes..

When the production models arrived for the 94 model year, the chassis was then named by Ford as the Fox-4 platform
Old 1/28/15, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 88lx50
Yeah ! that's for sure

Quick Reply: Ford to discontinue V8